Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Hawaii (Kona)
Options

3 Weeks to KONA!

Believe it or not a good thread from ST... KonaCoffee guy with a lot of good local info.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=5258263;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Don't know what you guys are doing but I'm tapering LOL!   Can't wait for a little warmth since it was 38 degrees in NH again this am....

Comments

• Options
    THX Tim! I enjoyed the ST article and reminisced.
  • Options
    I seem to be trying a volume pop, as I get ready for IM AZ and Kona together. I havent added up total miles, hours, TSS, as I'm pushing this until next Wed, having started a week ago Friday. But the current week will be 20+ hours, 13+ on the bike, close to 5 running. Then I'll do ten days or so with more emphasis on intensity, only one five hour bike, and think of Sun-Fri before the race as my taper.

I've concluded I only have one hard-ass marathon per year available to me, and this (Kona) won't be it. It will just go in the bank along with Boston and IM CDA, to be drawn on in the last two hours in AZ in Nov. that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I am enjoying all the Z1-2 riding here in the mountains, in the season called "after the heat and thunderstorms, and before the snow".
  • Options

Posted By <a href='http://members.endurancenation.us/ActivityFeed/tabid/61/userid/1560/Default.aspx' class='af-profile-link'>tim cronk</a> on 20 Sep 2014 02:44 PM
    <p>Believe it or not a good thread from ST... KonaCoffee guy with a lot of good local info.</p>
    <p>http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=5258263;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread</p&gt;
    <p>Don't know what you guys are doing but I'm tapering LOL!   Can't wait for a little warmth since it was 38 degrees in NH again this am....</p>
    So I read the local knowledge. I'd add that there's a Costco just north of town. If you are a member, have a crowd with you, and will be there a week, it's a good spot for food shopping. At home, its our primary grocery. Maybe because it's one of those corporations our area has bequeathed to the world, along with Boeing, Microsoft, Starbucks, Amazon, and Nordstroms.
  • Options
    Long ride today with 3h return into 35-40km/h headwinds with 50hm/h gusts. I just kept thinking "This is such awesome preparation ..."

I'll be arriving on the Island this Friday, settling in with some light S R and admin on Saturday, and then a RR on course Sunday. As great as it is to be able to do that session on the Queen K, I'm dreading that feeling of "wow ... I forget just how hot and windy it really is ..."

Add to the recon that there's a small natural foods store in the Safeway plaza, with a second location in Keahoe.

• Options

Since I've got nothing else to do, maybe I'll spray some daily photos, to whet appetites. Today, the Little Blue Church, at the run turn around on Ali'l:

• Options
    I won't be there this year because of my obvious speed shortcomings, but here are my tips/pointers, for what they're worth:

Pre-race:
    - Ali'i Drive in town is a zoo race week. Of the hundreds who try to ride their bikes on this narrow, crowded road, I'm amazed that dozens aren't killed pre-race. It's flat. You don't need to test ride it. Avoid.
    - Underpants Run is worth all the hype. Do not miss.
    - Force your support crew to swim out to the coffee boat. Can't think of many better ways to start a day.
    - Lava Java. It's overhyped, but for a good reason.
    - Several sponsors rent ocean front estates on Ali'i and throw parties. Most are pretty good. Even the Slowtwitch one.
    - Welcome Banquet was pretty cool

Post-race:
    - Humpy's at sunset. This is nice pre-race also and a good base for spectators watching the run.
    - Kua Bay. One of the prettiest places on earth. Bring snorkel gear, picnic, and a cooler. Go before noon, as parking is limited. Just N of the airport on the Queen K. When you see the sign pointing you up the volcano to the Veterans' Cemetery, go L, drive until you dead end. You won't regret this. Perfect post-race Sunday.
    - Banquet of Champions is very cool.
    - For those who want to finish in style, the Clif Bar house party will presumably be the Sunday night can't-miss event. Celebrate with the pros until the sun rises, suffer most of the day, catch the most painful red-eye flight ever home.

• Options
    Here's the link to the practice swim on 10/4 in case anyone missed it... Its $35 .... Heather and I did it last year and signed up again for this year.... Gives you a good idea what to expect and a time estimate for race day.

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/world-championship/athletes/hoala-ironman-training-swim.aspx#axzz3Dm2ZEJvd
  • Options

Today's pic: out in the middle of the lava fields on the Queen K, where the wind is always blowing against you, it seems. @ Waikoloa, about 30/85 mi into the bike. On the way back, you're riding right to left in this shot, and most days, the wind is going the other direction just as strong. Notice the bent over palm:

I'm taking the day "off" today. The only argument I can make for going ahead with my planned 2 hour/14 mile run is: it will look good on my weekly stats, which run Mon-Sun. Essentially, I'm switching Monday's planned off day (meaning easier swim + weights) for today. 

Here are the arguments against:

• I've lost 2 pounds in the last two days. I can't afford to lose another 1-2 which is what often happens to me during long runs. During an IM build, I'm always teetering between "athletically lean" and "borderline anorexic", despite eating all I can, e.g. 4000 cal yesterday.
    • The beautiful weather is being interrupted for about 36 hours starting last evening with spectacular thunderstorms,
    • My legs feel tired (not sore, as they were a week ago), I'm a little fatigued in general, and my brain is fried. The latter is the worst problem - I think I have no neuromuscular reserve to push the second half of the run.
  • Options
    Great pics, Al. These are totally amping me for the race. Keep 'em coming.