Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

American Zofingen Gearing

I know a few EN memebers have raced the American Zofingen before. I am trying to determine the correct gear set to use in order to set myself up for success. I had a chance to drive the course and it is a bit intimidating, at least to me.

From what I can tell from other posts I think the most appropriate setup is probably a 50/34 compact with a 12-27 cassette. I had high hopes of having a new tri-bike for this season with this setup. Unfotunately I don't think this is going to happen.

So instead I will be using my road bike instead. It currently has a 50/39/30 crank with a 12-25 cassette. I don't really want to make to many modifications to the road bike just incase I can actually swing the tri-bike. So I am wondering if I should make the simple change from the 12-25 cassette to a 12-27 cassette? Or is the fact that I have the triple more than enough gears?

Thanks, Pete

Comments

• Options
    Peter- I think you'll be fine with the triple. I recently switched my road bike from a triple to a compact mainly because I already had the compact crank (from an old bike) and because living at the beach that triple was downright silly. I like the compact for sure, but I'll bet there will be times at TOC in May this year that I'll be cursing the fact that I no longer have the triple!!!
  • Options

I would bring all the gears that you have.  I "raced" the short course last year with a 34-26 and wished that I had more.  The course is brutal.  If you are going long course it would only be worse.  The AZ stud guys [and they are studly indeed] always say that the third loop of the bike is where run speed goes to die.  Just watching the LC guys last year was intense.  Really cool race.  If I am stupid enough to try the LC in a couple of months I will be looking into an 11/28 for the back.

However, some folks have done very well there with pretty standard gearing.  Last years champ and kinda sorta sometimes EN guy Murphy's Law ran a 53/39 with an 12/25 and still won.  W/kg is a bigger deal at AZ [on both the bike and the run] than anywhere else I have ever been.  

I think the bike there overshadows how stupidly hard the run really is.  See you in a couple of months...

• Options
    After last weekends long ride, which I tried to get in as much climbing as possible, I have decided to go with at least the 12-27. I would actually go with the 12-28 but that would require me to also upgrade my rear derailleur. I think I can pick up a Shimano 105 12-27 for under $100. I will give that a try and it that is still not enough I will consider changing out the RD. I just don't know if that is something I can do myself.

Pete