Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Juan Vergara's Micro Forum

Comments

• Options
    Thanks and you too...following your progress and awesomeness online!!!!!

Feliz Ano Novo! image
  • Options
    Patrick,

Looking ahead to the IM race prep period (beginning in March after a GF period) and
    in search of the "perfect week" that would allow me to

(b) stay as close as possible to 100% execution of the training plan while
    (c) minimizing logistical stress and
    (a) MAXIMIZING FAMILY time,

I have come up with the following weekly blueprint for your review.

MON - (am) SWIM + CORE / (pm) RUN
    TUE - LONG BIKE 1 (the Saturday bike) starting 8am allowing 12h plus recovery.
    WED - SWIM + YOGA (use as rest day when needed).
    THU - LONG BIKE 2 (the Sunday bike) with brick RUN
    FRI - (am) SWIM + CORE / (pm) RUN
    SAT - FTP BIKE + BRICK RUN (both indoor) starting 8am allowing 12h plus recovery.
    SUN - LONG RUN

Though I feel quite confident it would work, my "only" doubt is the sequencing effect on the body (and mind). Assuming you don't see any major problems in the sequence, I'd like to give it a try in march for a couple weeks and report back to you.

But, as always, I will do as the Coach says ..... so please shoot!!!

Tks
  • Options
    Juan, I love the weekly layout. My only thoughts are that the Monday run might need to be dropped (not 100% sure on that) depending on how you feel coming off of each week and finishing with the long run. Curious to hear what your experience is...how soon do you want to check in? Two weeks? 

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Hi Patrick,

Hope this finds you well. All great on this end.

First, regarding my reshuffle of the weekly plan (per the above messages exchange), seems to be working fine. Just dropping the evening run whenever I feel to tired (usually once a week on different days).

Second, late next week I will travel to Mallorca for a 7 day Tri-Camp (bike heavy) organized by my friend, Brazilian pro triathlete, Thiago Vinhal. Should be tough-fun.
    Upon return I will be at the beginning of IM ADV week 7 .... beginning my kick-ass race prep for Challenge Roth july 9th. The following week (week 8) is bike testing week. My question: should I wait until a week after my return to let all that Mallorca biking to sink in (and maybe rest a bit) or maybe anticipate the test to the week immediately after Mallorca. 
    My guess is leave it on 8 ... but wanted to run it through you to be 100% sure.

All the best,
    Juan

PS: Just a couple days ago I remembered an email I sent you after our Tucson Camp in 2013 and it is great to see how much of what we discussed - plus so much more - you have actually implemented!!! The code I have not yet cracked is how to grow EN in Brazil!!! One day I will!!
  • Options
    @Juan Vergara -- 

Thanks for this...I had to go back to find that email...makes me think we should connect again; I even found another email post Kona where you hinted at more visibility ideas from you and Karla...definitely time to connect. :smile:

Yes to waiting post camp. My guess is it will take you 10 to 14 days to truly process the load (as you won't be taking it easy) so there's no pressure to test early. I'd rather we don't go too hard too soon after that camp...consider that first week back about "getting on a tri schedule" and then you can get back to work the next week.

Will you be able to post some pictures the forums? We'd love to see them?!

~ Patrick
  • Options
    Tks for the input P. 
    Happy to connect ANY TIME to discuss whatever you want/need to. Your call .... standing by. 
    Will certainly tag #en4keys #endurancenation on ALL my camp pictures (follow me on instagram @TRINSPIRED )
  • Options
    By the way .... there's a third email regarding the focus on other ENDURANCE sports (post TOC 2016).
  • Options
    Hi P,
    hello from Mallorca ... absolute training paradise!!! Will tell u all about the camp I'm attending when I get back home (posting all my pictures on my training instagram @trinspired always tagging EN .... In a nutshell: very good, very serious, interesting to be training with pros and AG winners .... and .... VERY INTENSE!!!.
    Which brings me to my question: we will be accumulating 30+ hours of hard work this week and the coach here has recommended we take it VERY EASY on the first week after camp for it to sink in. Wanted to run that suggestion through you to make sure I do the right thing next week (which will be IM7 for me). 
  • Options
    @Juan Vergara I just followed you and lost all my endorphin-filled energy for at least THREE MONTHS! What a great experience and I can't wait to hear about it. 

I agree 100% with your coach...had no idea what you were up to...but you are clearly crushing it. Sometimes that can take up to 5 days to be absorbed...that would me 2-3 days of rest, stretching and Normatech. Then days 4 and 5 would be easy aerobic work...then you can TRY to get back to it. 

Don't freak out. At 30 hours this will be your biggest week ever...and done right you'll emerge a BEAST!!!

Please keep the updates coming,

~ Coach P
  • Options

P,

Below is what my “standard” week looks like nowdays. So far so good.

Initiating IM Week 10 April 24th.

Two concerns (as the load increases from now on):

1)    I’m ahead of my curve on the swim front; maintaining my boosted bike fitness from the Mallorca camp. Behind schedule on run durability (though speed is good). I’m planning to extend my Friday p.m. run if and when the body feels like it.

2)    Using Wednesday as my rest day every two weeks and or if my body demands it on any specific week.

MON

TUE

WED

THU

FRI

SAT

SUN

SWIM 60'

CORE 60'

LONG BIKE SUN WITH BRICK RUN 

YOGA 60'  SWIM 60'

LONG BIKE SAT

SWIM  60'/ CORE 60'

FTP BIKE INDOOR / 

RUN SHORT BRICK

SPLIT RUN A.M

RUN  (PM)

MASSAGE p.m.

RUN (PM)

MASSAGE p.m.

RUN '(PM)

SPLIT RUN P.M.

DROP THE monday P.M. RUN IF TIRED

wednesday is REST DAY EVERY TWO WEEKS AND OR DROP DAY IF REST NEEDED

EXTEND THIS  friday RUN IF OK

COMMENTS? ...Tks,

Juan

• Options
    @Juan Vergara - thanks for the update. I am not worried about the run just yet (how can I view your weekly totals?). 

The swim is likely a better focus for sustainable volume, especially as the run speed is still good. I would be okay with you doing this...
    • Odd Weeks (assuming Wed run) then Monday = No run. 
    • Even Weeks (assuming Wed OFF) then Monday = Yes Run. 

This way you get 5 runs a week, but never a week with SIX runs. Save that for maybe week 18 if we think it's worth it? 

Let me know re those weekly totals!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Got it tks.
    Is there a way I can give you access to my Training Peaks for you to view totals?? Or .... which TP chart should I send you???
  • Options
    @Juan Vergara - yes, of course. Use the red chat button on the bottom of the main site and send me you username / login and I can go from there!
  • Options
    @Juan Vergara -- okay, some charts added and quick thoughts here: https://goo.gl/YECEP9
  • Options
    P,
    As I said on our last call when you offered help .... "will ask in a couple week" .... here it goes:
    Please take a look at our spreadsheet (link below), TAB: REVISED 2017 TRAINING PLAN, as of IM Week 13 beginning 5/15 and tell me what you think on the line P EDITS.
    You will notice that I'm traveling weeks 15 (daughter college graduation Savannah GA) and 16 (bike camp with TREK TRAVEL Greenville SC). Implications of that in my plan are:
    - Anticipated RR1 to week 14 (pre travel)
    - No bike while in Savannah
    - No swim while in Greenville
    Comment / edits most welcome
    Tks

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15VicRyYJM8aVSLEG85WCA8p2JBSztiO7JT3mxomEJhc/edit#gid=501354542
  • Options
    Further, if you want to take a look at my TraininPeaks please feel free !!!
    login: juanmvergara
    P/word: Greatfather1
    Per your latest comments I raised my weekly run volume to 50+ k
    Below I added 2 PMC charts to compare the current cycle vs the equivalent pre Kona
    My target for Roth is to beat the shit out my Kona PB of 11:02 !!!! (which should have been sub 11 !!!!!!)
  • Options
    @Juan Vergara - Looking good...edits made for you, really like the focus where you are at. As you have done this far, you MUST make sure you are recovered well for the big RR days...other days if you weren't feeling it and could only SWIM or OFF, i'd take it. 

Strong on race day is a function of how SMART you can be right now, not how HARD you can train. :smile: 

TP.com looks good as well. Keep the run rolling a few more weeks and the bigger bike sessions and you'll be there in no time. Remember, no real run intensity right now...the load-buiding is ON!!!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Tks for the comments and edits P.
    An obvious but important request for clarification: when you say "SMART vs HARD", I'm assuming smart = don't do anything stupid, don't over reach, listen to your body, and do as the coach says.  The doubt is your definition of HARD LIMITS for the next 6 weeks?
  • Options
    @Juan Vergara - Sorry to be vague. I guess I am saying that you've done a TON of hard work already. You CAN do more hard work but you SHOULDN'T...your body won't be able to absorb much more.

Rather than continuing to push your limits in individual session (best TSS, best time, etc) let's focus on making each session a chance to practice execution. 
    • Best nutrition
    • Great strong last hour of the bike
    • No drop in run cadence, etc. 
    Hope that helps!

~ Coach P

• Options
    Tks for the clarification. Trained accordingly today!!! 4h ride, 180 watts target (race pace).
    Actual: 184 average, VI 1.07 (on hilly course). 
    NEW QUESTION: today I tested a new approach to short steep hills and wanted to share with you my conclusion. Always keeping in mind that flattening the course is the target, steeper hills unavoidably burn some matches. My test today was to stand up on all those hills and consciously maximize use of body weight versus muscle power to move forward at the lowest possible watts (or as close to 180 as possible). The outcome: while the watts (on the screen) are marginally higher when standing up, the perceived effort versus all muscles is significantly lower. If that is true (is it?), I'm affectively burning less while responsibly standing ... plus, those standing intervals also serve the purpose of relaxation.
    Comments??

PS. Bare with me .... I'll be HIGH MAINTENANCE until Roth!!!!
  • Options
    @Juan Vergara - that's a very interesting observation. If it is something you can truly execute, I support it. But you'll really have to stay focused.

Looking at the bike course for Roth I don't think there are any decisive hills that will really make or break your day. But you certainly have the option to use your body weight accordingly and also stretch out your back. For anyone else reading this, understand that this guidance is only meant for Juan given his experience and stature inside Da Haus. :smile:
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2017 3:53PM
    P,
    question about your edits on week 19 of our spreadsheet below
    (2017 revised plan tab):
    when you say "swim only 5k" you mean:
    - Swim 3 x 5k swims to that week?
    or
    - Swim normal and run no more than 5k?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15VicRyYJM8aVSLEG85WCA8p2JBSztiO7JT3mxomEJhc/edit#gid=501354542
  • Options
    Sorry for the confusion. I meant on Monday and Wednesday I want you to only do a swim workout, and I want that to be a 5k swim session. 
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2017 5:34PM
    P,
    Today I finished IM week 18.
    KINDLY TAKE ANOTHER LOOK AT OUR SPREADSHEET (LINK BELOW), SPECIFICALLY WEEKS 19 AND 20,
    TAB: REVISED 2017 TRAINING PLAN.
    QUESTION IN BLUE TEXT 
    IMPORTANT TO TAKE INTO ACCOUNT: I'm feeling a bit of "pain" on my right foot (metatarsais area) after the RUN RACE REHEARSAL past Sunday. Nothing major but "IT'S THERE". I did some therapy this week and it helped a lot but felt it again today during my LAST long run (which I cut short to make sure I don't hurt myself at this point in time).
    Two possibilities:
    1) Muscle and or Nerve and or Tendon Inflamation from all the training
    2) Minor stress fracture
    Either or I'm NOT going to investigate further, assume it's just an inflamatory process (which in fact is the most likely) and - should it be the case - SUCK THE PAIN on race day.
    Until then, my call (for you to evaluate and advice) is NOT TO RUN at all this week 19 and do a very very easy run recon in Roth a couple days before the race.
    Thank you  ;)

• Options
    @Juan Vergara - thank you for checking in with me. This is always a tough time of the season with the race looming. That said, foot pain is not something to mess around with, so I'm glad I have the chance to give you some input.

The first step, before we go crazy and modify your training, I just want to make sure that everything is okay with your equipment. More often than not it's older running shoes that can cause this problem. Please confirm that your shoes are not old, or that the shoes you're wearing are not "too lightweight" to support you and your running style. For example, I have found some fantastic running shoes but as a bigger person I simply plow through them. I'm not saying your big, but it's something to consider.

The second step is to make sure that you're taken care of your calf and your peroneal tendon. Those peroneal tendons do come down and hook around and attached to the bottom of the foot and often a source of great stress. Here's an article on them: https://runnersconnect.net/peroneal-tendinitis-tendonitis/

As for your actual training, I agree with minimal running this upcoming week. The work is done, my friend, and it's time to take care of yourself so you can race to your fullest. I have edited your spreadsheet accordingly so that you can still stay fit and progress. 

There's not much to change for you here, it's really about getting the swim up and staying loose. I don't want you running much before the race, even on site...maybe just a few short 1-2 mile deals to stay loose. Okay?

~ Coach P

• Options
    Tks much for the input @Coach Patrick
    I'm running on HOKAS Clifton 3 and not only they are not old but BRAND NEW!!!
    In fact, the very first time I used them was last week as I had saved them for this race. 
    In total 60k on those shoes until today. 
    Further, before this I was also running on HOKA Clifton 2 and Clifton 3. 
  • Options
    @Juan Vergara - OK, that's good feedback. Sounds like you just piled on the fatigue of it. I know you are an expert in self-care, so time to ramp that up as we rest your legs before the race.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2017 7:53AM
    Hi there Coach,
    As I'm not doing anything but eating, sleeping and drinking this first week after Roth .....
    I'm begining to plan my 2018 (70.3 ONLY) season.
    How crazy (or not?) would it be to race MARBELLA 70.3 on April 29, precisely the week right after our Mallorca Camp? It would certainly be EXTREMELLY convenient!!!! 
    Thinking about it under the assumption it's possible to peak one week before a HIM and properly recover/absorb during week 20. 
    I wouldn't be surprised if other campers would also embark in that adventure and/or if the opportunity would attract even more campers. 
    Thoughts???
  • Options
    @Juan Vergara - I think that is entirely possible. Part of the consideration will be to move the running a little bit earlier in the program ( Peak in February versus March, for example) so that you can accommodate more cycling and still be able to recover in time to race. That might be worthwhile posting in the Facebook group!
  • Options
    Then it's a go!!! Which Facebook group is that ????