Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

2018 Ironman Arizona Roll Call - Who's In?

13»

Comments

• Options

I’ll wave to you guys as I’ll also be on the foothills trail from Summer to Enumclaw and back two times Friday.

• Options
    edited October 11, 2018 1:36AM

@eugene partridge @Jason Brandt @eugene partridge Here's my plan: arrive at southern end of Interurban (Address below), hoping to start biking as soon after 8:30 as possible. Bike straight up the Interurban to its northern intersection with Green River Tr, then turn around to the southern intersection (about 20 mi to that point), and do an out-n-back on Green River (about 34 miles), then back down to my car (another 8?). I think that's about 60-2 miles, took me 3:33 last time I did it 2 yrs ago. There is water along the Green River about mid-point of the ride.

Back at the car, I'll drive 6 miles south on 167 to the East Puyallup trailhead of the Foothills trail. 42 mile round trip there, I suspect 2.5 hours biking. Then run for an hour there. https://www.co.pierce.wa.us/1388/Trail-Map

I'll have a cooler for additional hydration on the Foothills, along with Gatorade Endurance for the run. I usually do two x 3 miles, allowing me to take two bottle for sufficient fluid on the run.

The Interurban parking spot is called "Interurban Trailhead Park - Pacific, Interurban Trail," on Google Maps. It's on 3rd Ave SE, looks like the Ellington Ave Exit off 167 coming south, the south on West Valley Hiway to 3rd.

The East Puyallup trailhead is @ 13810 80th St E, Puyallup.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/13810+80th+Street+East,+Puyallup,+WA/Interurban+Trailhead+Park+-+Pacific,+Interurban+Trail,+Pacific,+WA/@47.2322928,-122.2559306,13.33z/am=t/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x5490fbeb17ec37c1:0xa65d35691077ed00!2m2!1d-122.2456682!2d47.1843874!1m5!1m1!1s0x5490f83e238bfe2d:0xccf6e4a64f4c03b6!2m2!1d-122.2598725!2d47.2650481!3e0

I've never actually done this transfer before, never been to the Foothills trailhead. The trail was finally linked up last summer, so I want to give it a try, and I don't like the idea of doing the Interurban/Green River loops *twice*.

You can text me @ 253 241 6685 directly for further coordination.

...Or, we could just simplify things and do what @Jason Brandt has planned - that would only be about 4.5-5 hours/84 miles of biking

• Options
    Got it Al
    I’m in
    Thank you. Eugene cell 2064064472
  • Options

I’ll be grinding out miles in the confluence flats between the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers Saturday and Sunday (have to work Friday). Not scenic, but safe and flat...

• Options

Have fun folks. I will be slogging it out indoors as usual.

• Options
    edited October 23, 2018 12:57PM

Hearing that the swim course is being changed entirely. Fact ?

• Options

I'd heard something about starting on the other side of the lake, but web site this AM shows and describes original course:

http://m.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/arizona/course/swim.aspx

• Options

Indeed has been changed. Clockwise now.

Bit of a walk to the start.

• Options
    edited October 29, 2018 4:42PM

Interesting. I wonder why they changed it. They also have you swimming a short direction West before making a turn. That ought to clog things up a bit right away. You'd think they would have had you swimming a little further East to avoid that. I wonder if they are working on the East end of the "lake".

Looks like they are going to have you exit at the boat ramp. You will have a little run back to transition too.

• Options

I was thinking the same thing about initial congestion.

• Options

Heavy rain Precluded from112mile ride today. If I can get a dry patch early in week I can get to 112 ride in. currentl weather calls for heavy rain and winds for next 36 hours.

• Options
    I must be in a rain shadow…just a few drops today, no real rain. I did a 6 hour 365 TSS ride up Mt Palomar in San Diego last weekend, so this weekend, I’m doing two Zwift sessions. Yesterday in New York for 3:50, tomorrow (Sunday) on the Four Horsemen, probably 4 hours. Leaving @ 6:30 AM Pacific STANDARDS time from the banner, aiming for 2.2-2.4 w/kg the whole way except for downhills. Then next weekend, fly to Miami FL for two days to do the USAT LC Championships (half iron distance). I’m really not a fan of rides longer than four hours nor runs longer than two.

But today, I did manage 4200 yds non-stop in the pool. Strangely, only boring for the first 1800 meters or so, then I just settled in.
  • Options
    Nice work Al, Mt palamor I recall you mentioning that to me. Good luck in
    USAT half. Stay well.