Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Naftali Presser Official Coach Thread

2»

Comments

• Options

@Naftali Presser - Thank you for checking in.

I have asked Brenda to investigate the situation of the final surge. Sometimes that happens when a payment method fails in the subscription is auto canceled, I will check in with her.

I appreciate your concern on the hills. At the end of the day, the way that we paste the hills means that it’s not so much about the Hills as it Is strength on the bike. The best way for us to manage this is to expand on some of those weekend sessions where we can get in more volume. For example you could do the first and third weekend of every month with bigger bikes than planned. Sort of like taking the camp weekend and implementing it several times over. Let me know if your schedule will accommodate that.

Before I give you any specific advice on the hydration stuff, can you remind me again what products are using and how much you are consuming? That would be helpful. Also let me know if you take any additional salt pills during races.

• Options

@Coach Patrick

OK for hydration I am just using the GE on course for races. keeping to roughly 2 bottles per aid station (1 1/2 -2 bottles /hour). This last race was the first time I used additional salt supplement- took irrespective of how I felt and was just 1 tab saltstick tabs at each aid station on the bike just trying to stay ahead in case this was the issue previously....

Realistically it will be hard to get multiple camp style weekends in between now and race given work/home schedule but should be able to add in 1-2 extra 2-3 hour rides at night a week if this is helpful, not optimal but probably all I can manage....

• Options

Thank you for the update. I’m glad to hear you are using your own course nutrition. Sometimes it could be a little sweet, so starting with your own bottles, or next year, should set you up well for the first hour to 90 minutes. In other words, you shouldn’t be transitioning to using on course nutrition until about mile 30. You only need a salt stick pill every hour, not every aid station. The idea would be to get more hydration in earlier in the day than later. You can handle more fluids in the first 90 minutes then you can in the last 90 minutes of your ride as your body starts to feel the work . At that time, it’s more about maintaining your hydration rate, which may drop to 1.5 to 1.25 bottles per hour. It’s the beginning of the ride that matters most. If the Gatorade is a proved to be too sweet, remember if you have it in your front air bottle you can always grab a bottle of water from an eight station and squirt a little bit into cut the sweetness.

I would take one or two more longer rides during your week. The volume is time consuming but is the quickest way for you to turn the corner and to take it vantage of the race you just did. Let’s make sure you aren’t compromising recovery or sleep too much, but I’m happy to work with you to fit in your schedule if needed. Let me know.

• Options

@Coach Patrick

OK so I need input on recovery after injury... I completed IMChoo 70.3 on May 19 and have been working towards building for IMLP on 7/28/2019. Have been having leg pain issues and turns out on MRI I have a bunch of periostitis, periosteal reaction, bone edema (just short of a stress fracture) in my tibia. The Ortho has basically told me no running for 6 weeks and no cycling even for 3 weeks ... ie racing is out....while this delays yet again my hopes of finishing an IM, i am trying to be proactive towards the recovery process . As such I have a few questions:

1. when I do start running again does anyone have thoughts on doing little bits every day ( say 1 mile qday every day increasing every 1-2weeks to 1.5 daily, 2 daily etc. with this i would reach 21-28 miles per week in not very long but would not have any longer runs (as opposed to working towards running 4 times week with higher volumes (4-6 miles/run etc...)- keeping in mind that I have basically abandoned the thought of doing a full IM this year.
    2. Anyone have experience with these injuries in general and have thoughts, helpful tips to share?
    3. I'm basically relegated to swimming/pull sessions (doc didnt even wnat me to do straight swimming for the next 1-2 weeks) for the next little while- anyone with other suggestions to work towards that might a) help prevent similar injury in the future or b.) be an area that can be worked on without stressing the leg that will be of benefit when I finally do get back to training

All thoughts appreciated

Naftali Presser

PS I have posted to the team as well for their thoughts

• Options

@Naftali Presser hey man, thanks for checking in. I saw your note in the group me the other day and I have to say that I won hundred percent agree with your decision to stand down. It’s very rare that we catch a stress fracture before it happens so kudos to you. While resting is no fun, it’s way better than trying to rehab a stress fracture. Here are the steps I suggest.

First, let’s define what set this up. Was it a particular mileage that did it? What services do you predominately run on? Is it sidewalks for example, or on asphalt? How much time do you spend on dirt or a soft surface? Was it a long run that triggered you? Or was it the downhill running from Chattanooga that was the cause?

It’s worthwhile spending a little bit of time right now as we are a cover in order to understand better the environmental elements that contributed to this problem so we can be sure to avoid them in the future. Three weeks of minimal activity is tough, but I promise it will go by quickly. You could certainly do a bunch of yoga or even some core work to get that stuff activated.

In the wiki, under the running section, we do have an “return to running protocol“ that we could begin to work on once you’re ready. But honestly given the concerns of your doctor, I would probably start off with cycling in similar nonweightbearing activity just to make sure you are safe. Good want to make sure that you’re staying pain-free as you get back to regular movements.

Why don’t you keep me posted on the research portion I asked about above, and let’s schedule a phone call for when you’re three weeks of rest is up: ! why don’t you keep me posted on the research portion I asked about above, let’s schedule a phone call for when you’re three weeks of rest is up: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min