Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Brenda Ross Official Coaches Thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited August 20, 2019 2:52PM

@Coach Patrick can't believe it has been over a year since I posted in this thread. Anyway, wanted to give you an update on the broken collarbone

Rehab is going really well. My mobility is improving each day.

I am not using the brace at all anymore

I can sleep flat and on my left side now

I do not feel the ribs anymore at all

Energy levels are good and I have no pain at all

I have been given permission to get on the trainer

I see the surgeon on Sept 5 at which time I will be 6 weeks post operation. I am hoping I will get clearance to try running and maybe swimming.

As you know I am not a great swimmer so I need to be in the pool all winter long.

I am already thinking to 2019. I have a cross country ski event in Mid Feb which is a multi day event and my first race next year is Tupperlake end of June. I am thinking that I would like to spend the next months getting stronger (in the gym), getting some cycling fitness back and of course running and swimming fitness and then fire up OS in January.

Any advice you could give me would be helpful. I need a plan to move forward.

Oh and as you know I have been walking everyday at least 1hour a day, upwards to 2 hours with a Half Marathon walk while in Tremblant.

P.S. I had put on 10lbs of menopausal weight that I have taken off which I would like to keep off, so lets get this program set.

• Options

@Brenda Ross TBH I can’t believe how quickly you are recovering! Simply fantastic. And I have to say that I’m really pleased with how active you been despite the surgery. Those walks are just great for your entire body, not just your metabolism. We will have to wait and see what the surgeon says specifically about running indoor swimming. You have to remember that the motion of swimming freestyle is actually fairly dynamic so my guess is you will have a little bit more time before you can hit the pool to do a full work out. That said doing underwater exercises to strengthen your shoulder and rotator cuff would be great for you because your arm is effectively weightless in the water.

IIrC My first return to actual exercise was on the bike on the trainer alternating between hands on the bars in setting up as I could handle the load. That’s the easiest way for you to start doing some quality aerobic work without the jostling Of running or the dynamic movement of swimming.

My guess is that you will be able to start the old season at the end of October which gives us eight more weeks to get you ready.

Until you see the surgeon let’s keep up with the walking and even add in some more challenging terrain as you are able. If you get the clearance to be on the trainer then we can do the six week bike focus block leading into the out season on 10/27....how does that sound?

Also I wanted to pass along this video I saw yesterday as I thought it might be appropriate for you with regards to your swimming given the picture you shared the other day:

• Options
    edited August 22, 2019 4:17PM

@Coach Patrick - perfect. I have been given clearance for the trainer, so I will upload the 6 week bike focus to get me ready for October OS. Thank you for the video as well. I too am very happy with my progress. I see my physio this week for my second session so I am hoping she will be happy as well.

As a side note, Steve has my old cervelo loaded on the trainer and it does not have power. My power tap has been modified to accommodate my new bike so it no longer fits my old Cervelo. I have to get the new bike checked out (did not bring it in after the crash) and do not think I will put it on the trainer until I start OS. So I think I will do the workouts by PE until then. Sound good? or should I do a HR test?

• Options

PE work is FINE. It would be better for you to do the work you can manage without chasing a number right now! 👍

Keep up the great progress!!!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick - perfect, I think you are right. I am going to use Trainer Road virtual power just for reference. I think that combined with HR will be a good way to move forward without feeling lost, because the bike is feeling hard now so if I rely on PE I might end up phoning it in.

• Options

It’s important to remember that everything kind of feels hard right now. The reentry. Is difficult so the way I frame it is to identify my first day back, and then find 42 days in the future and marked on my calendar. That timeframe is six weeks it is approximately just how much time it will take for you, with consistent training, to feel like you are “back.” What you do with those six weeks isn’t as important as making sure that you do something every day, even your walks are fantastic! I’m excited to continue to follow your progress.

Please keep us posted in the Facebook live with so the team can see how you’re doing with recovery!

• Options
    edited September 6, 2019 1:21PM

@Coach Patrick - saw the surgeon yesterday and I have been given the green light to ramp things up , soooo I asked him the following.

1. can I ride my road bike outside - he said yes but not for 3 hours and DON'T CRASH. I will probably stick to the bike paths to be safe.
    2. can I run - as tolerated. I know we discussed briefly what to do, but how do you feel if I try running on flat trails that are not technical and do you have an outline for me to follow?
    3. can I weight bear - as tolerated, so today I see physio and I am sure she is going to suggest a plan which I will share when I have it. Plan on adding in lower body so I can hit the gym 2-3x a week
    4. can I swim - probably will not be tolerable at the moment. I still have some healing to do. As you can see in the xray I still have a section of the break that is not healed at all.

I see him again in 6 weeks at which time we will take an xray and see how things ago. Hoping to get back to swimming then. Lord knows I will need it.

• Options

So great to see your pictures on Facebook. I like the idea of you alternating your bike and run training, no need to hit the pool for a few more weeks. There is no rush there. I recommend our return to run protocol from the wiki which appears you were already following to some extent: http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Run+Re-Entry+Protocol

• Options

@Coach Patrick yah, surgeon does not think I will be back in until after I see him in October for swimming. I am following the back to run protocol that the physio has given me, put once I get to 5min of running I will switch to the EN way I think.

Had my second ride outside today. My hope is ride all fall until I can no longer just to shorten my time on the trainer.

Feeling good with everything. There is hope in the future.

• Options

@Coach Patrick - update

Arm/shoulder is not liking the swim stroke movement. We tried out some non weight bearing exercises that mimic the stroke at physio yesterday it hurt like hell. She assures me this is going to change, so I have to mimic the side stroke while lying on my side and this cross check kind of move lying on my back. I am already such a crappy swimmer all ready, I hope this gets fixed or I will be back to duathlons.

• Options

Give yourself time, as Taipei athletes, and yes even you have a little bit of TB in you, it’s natural to get frustrated. Part of the healing process is your body immobilizing the joint so we just have to free it up.

Back in the day, I found that treading water gently was a good means of activating the shoulder in a controlled environment in the water. Free weights can be difficult to control when you get started.

• Options

@Coach Patrick thank you. I will continue to work at it.

• Options

Sounds good, be safe running in those woods!

• Options

Did my first trail run yesterday in the hills of Tennessee. Took it slow and stayed upright. #positiveoutcome

• Options
    edited October 26, 2019 10:59PM

@Coach Patrick @matt limbert

Time for an update. I saw my surgeon last week and he is very happy with my progress, but we are concerned with the snapping and catching that is happening when I move the arm in certain directions, so we are going to give it 3 more months and I am going to get another xray and see if the physio will break through the scar tissue, which is what he and the physio think it is. I think it is as well, because it is getting better each week, but if it is still an issue when I see him in January it may be coming out.

I have not been following the 6 week bike plan as you suggested CoachP as I really just wanted to get out and exercise without having to focus on trying to get a specific workout in, but I have been consistent.

What have I been up to?

Mondays - row (30-45 min), core

Tuesdays - 45 min run, weights

Wednesday - 1-2.5hour ride. If it is inside it is 1 hour on a spin bike and 15-30 min row, core. If it is outside it is over 2 hours

Thursday - 30 min run, weights

Friday - swim (now have done 3 swims) ( I was able to string together 400 x 100 meters of front crawl this week. It's the only thing that is a bit painful for me, but it is getting less with each week #win

Saturday - 10km trail run, weights

Sunday - outdoor ride or if weather is inclement I hit the gym and do the bike there with a row off of it.

My running is feeling really good (I have been running for 4 weeks) and my weight training is making me feel super strong. I am making gains in that department weekly. I am continuing to work with my physio 1x a week and will probably be with her for a while longer

My tri bike went in for a checkup/tune-up. It was the first time since the crash on July 14. I pick it up tomorrow and will put it on the trainer.

I thought I would join NovOS but I am not feeling like I have the motivation to do it, so here is what I am thinking.

I will download the plan, and do a test, and then I will do the bike rides but instead of Zone 4/5 I will do 2/3 power and then I will hop into the JanOS. The only triathlon I have on my agenda next year is Tupper Lake. I am planning on doing a 46 mile race with the team in October, but other than that I am not sure.

I have signed up for cross country ski lessons this winter with an event on Feb 7/8 with Michelle Swanson so I will be needing to hack my plan this winter to accommodate the skiing and of course my beloved snowshoe running.

Here is my lastest xray

• Options

@Brenda Ross Thanks for sharing your update with me. That x-ray looks like a pretty sturdy repair! It's great to hear that you are feeling strong running and weight training, and even seeing some progress in the swim. You have some good variety and the good sense to keep it fun. You will bring some good all around fitness to the Jan OS - by then you will will have heard enough from Team "Let's do this" that you will nail Team "Let's wait for it." BTW. The addition of cross-country skiing sounds super cool - and might be this year's secret weapon. Let me know if I can help.

• Options

@matt limbert just heard about the balance durability plan, so I am going to rock that until January. I will let you know if I need any help.

I agree, the cross country skiing is going to be a cool additions. It looks like the lessons are in the afternoons on Saturdays, I will be able to continue to run with the Saturday trail running group which turns into a snowshoe running group when the snow flies.

• Options

I really appreciate how honest you're being with yourself. Many athletes miss the importance of the physical and mental connection, this sounds like the best way forward for now. I will be following along! 👍