Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Gordon C's 2017 Micro

Coach P,

I've been working my back to running plan diligently and wanted your thoughts on two questions at the end i) number of runs and ii) pace.

Background - Came in the OS at 250lbs (currently 239lbs( no running an some cycling since November. I've been walking ~2 miles/day 4-5 days a week to and from work for over a year now.  This continues as part of the run work I've been integrating in to my walking. 

The basic schedule has me running Wed/Fri/Sunday with Wed/Fri being a split run, that is half of the run time in to work and the other half when I go home.  Sunday is on a treadmill and the only day I do all the running at once.  I then have two days off to recover before moving in to the next week.

OS runs have been as follows:

wk1 5'/3'/5'  - the 2X2.5 was 3' WU walk then 5X30"(1.5') 2' walk to finish

wk2 6'/3'/6' - total run time 15' run distance 1.2 miles

wk3 7'/7'/7' - 21'     1.68 miles

wk4 9'/9'/9'  - 27'   2.16 miles

wk5 13'/13'/13' - 39' 3.12 miles

wk6 0/0/5' - 5'  0.4 miles

wk7 12'/6'/12' - 30' 2.4 miles

wk8 15'/10/15' - 40' 3.2 miles

wk9 18/14'/18 - 50' 4 miles

wk10 22'/16/22' - 60'  4.8 miles - The first run is complete with the other 2 planned.

Following wk 10 I plan to increase 10' per week until wk13 with 15' time increase on wk14, such that wk 11 70' with wk 14 at 105'

Wk 11 25;20;25 WK 12

29;22;29 wk 13 32;26;32
Wk 14 35;30;40.  

For week 13 and 14 I am contemplating going to 4 running days such as  wk 13 20;20;20 ;30 then wk 14;20;25;20;40.  My big question is do I try to implement 4X running per week earlier, say week 12 with 4X20' or try to start lengthening out at least one run/week.  Right now I'm a little hesitant to move to back to back running days, although I feel pretty good today(Monday) after the 22' on Sunday, thus the week 13 move to 4 running days. 

Beyond that at what pace should I be running. I've been doing most of my running at around 12'30" miles but recently have been moving that pace up to 12' miles.  I'm been very aware of both time an mileage but also realize that I need to get a little more diligent in this area.  Honestly I'm not sure what I could do on a test but Sunday's 22' run 5X3.5'(30") had the final HR at 151.  I can still push this to 180+ on a test with 183-5 most likely being my max HR.  Having done no test I'm fairly confident I could get a VDOT of 30 maybe 31 which makes my TRP 11:50 to 11:33.  Should I just start incorporating strides and maybe some Z3 work, say .5 mile in one run/week.  Below was my last run link on strava.

https://www.strava.com/activities/907068592

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

Gordon
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    @Gordon Cherwoniak - thanks for checking in...I love where your head is at right now. You have been super conservative, and I appreciate it. 

I would like you go to 4 runs please. And it should be something like this: 
    • Week 13 and Week 14:  12' / 24' / 12' / 24'
    Runs 1 and 3 are just TRP or 12:30.
    Runs 2 and 4 are TRP first mile, then 12:00/mi pace for the second one.

With Lake Placid on the schedule, I'd like to aim for you runnning 5' a week by the end of April, with total time run or run/walking in the 150 minute range (about double where you are now). 

So let's see how these two weeks go and then check in...ok?

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Coach P,

I decided to switch over to 4X running per week for weeks 11 and 12 of the JOS.  Last week was a challenge as I did two back to backs but I'm managing better this week.  Bolded is the past two weeks summary with details below.  I forgot my garmin on a couple runs and just used a timex watch so don't have all the strava data.  Most runs were all around 12-12:30 per miles with some sections 11:30-45 on occasion.  I'm still hitting the bike workouts and actually had a solid 125' on the trainer today so no issues there.

Note I was walking prior to this as well so this is not a huge bump in time.  I just only mentioned my running in the previous thread. 

WK11 JOS total run time 72’; 4X Tues/wed/ Sat Sun as 24’;12;24;12 6miles  running- 136' walk/run 11.9 miles

Details

Mon Walk 2 miles 28'

Tuesday walk 2 miles 28'

24’ Wed split run 2X12' into and out of work 2 miles total

12’ Thursday  2X6' split run - 2miles total

Friday - off

Sat 24’ running 2X12’(30”) 30’ total 2.4 miles  - https://www.strava.com/activities/914170435/overview

Sun 12’ running 20’ total 1.5 miles

WK 12 JOS – 14’;26’;14’completed; 26-28’ planned – Tue; Thurs; Sat;Sun  Total 80-82’ running time- 146' walk run - 12.5 miles

Monday walk 2 miles 28'

Tue 14’ 2X7’ split run am/pm 2 miles total -

https://www.strava.com/activities/918867915

https://www.strava.com/activities/918867924 

Wed walk 28’ 2 miles

Thurs 26’ 2X13’ split run am pm 2 miles -

Fri – off

Sat 14’ running 20’ total 1.5 miles - https://www.strava.com/activities/923643590

Sun planned 26’-28 run walk 4-7' ~ 2.5 miles

My thoughts were to keep the tue/thur Sat/sun running times as follows:

WK 13 JOS 92' total run time - 16';28;16;30
    Wk 14 JOS 105' - 20';30;20;35' 

Mon/wed will be walking days to/ from work, 2miles total each day. I'll add in a little waking to each run session as well to get to the 150' plus a little extra to get another miles or two on the feet each week.

I'm also interested in your thoughts for transition to the IM plan.  I was thinking of taking one down week for running maybe 60' - 4X15', possibly even easier while doing week one of the swim camp.  Then ramp back up the run for swim camp week 2 to 120' running.  I'm not sure but I think I'll need the one down week during transition from the OS to IM plan. 

Beyond that I was thinking of adding 15' running per week until I got to around 200' then maybe a couple 20' bumps  late in the IM plan prior to the big days WK5 and WK 3 but we can get to that in a later thread. 

Thanks for the guidance.  It's always appreciated.

Gordon
  • Options
    @Gordon Cherwoniak - Let's keep the "reporting" to Strava...remember you can manually add stuff in there (using plus sign) so if you do that I'll be able to follow you vs you typing it all out!  :sweat_smile:

I don't really want you to back off your run/walk stuff during swim camp...shut that bike down hard for Week 1 to get a compensation period, but otherwise let's keep it rolling as there is only "so much" time to your IM. 

^^that said^^ if you ever need a break, TAKE IT and we'll deal. I don't want to force you into anything, but want you to just keep up this great streak. 

I am okay with an additional 15' per week, have you modeled that out? I'd be curious to see what that gets you.

Note, all of that planning aside, you'd do well to book a weekend hiking trip and do back to back 6 to 8 hour days of hiking. Not super hard, just tough enough. That's a MASSIVE spike in your legs / durability. And your A$$ might like a break from the bike!!!  :lol:

Let me know!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Coach P,

Okay I'll keep ramping it up.  I had modeled a down week in swim camp week one with15' increases for week 2. One week in the IM plan I modeled a 20' increase week 9 to 8.  Total time wk 6 -  230' and wk 4 - 245'.  If all goes as planned I could potentially squeeze in 25-30' more run time by week 6.

I had penciled in 4 runs each week; wk 6 - 25;25;55;125 and wk 4 25;25;55;140.  WK 5 and 3 will be race rehearsals and I could not remember the exact week outline other than the 60' for RR day.  I figure at 11' miles the 140' is only getting me 21 miles maybe 22 max in those peak weeks . If I'm handling 10' miles that's still only 23/24 miles.  

As for the hiking I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen.  Patti and I are expecting a baby here shortly, April 7th.  So juggling workouts will be a big enough challenge.  I asked several times and she endorsed the race but we will see what happens once the kid arrives.   I have planned several days off work to help with being around more during the IM build.  I could have one day off work during the week from wk 10 through week 3 of the IM plan, most likely Friday's, perhaps there's a better day like the long run day but I'd have to discuss that with my boss.

So I guess my a$$ will just have stay glued to the bike seat.

• Options
    @Gordon Cherwoniak - HOW THE HELL DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT YOUR BABY!? :bawling:

I think your plan is perfect....the bike is your friend; and whatever we can do to get the body comp down is a "non-workout" option (but I know how good you are about that). 

We can work around Bebe, but it's more about keeping Mama happy regardless of your fitness. Let see how things evolve....

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Coach P,

Checking in for the start of the IM plan, beginner.  My thoughts are as follows:

Swim - Hit 3X workouts each week. I tend to drop the swim first when I get tired.  This backfired on me in 2015.  Typically I've average 2x/week in the IM plan.  I was below this in 2015 and paid for it.  If I can I'll supplement 1-300, maybe 500 extra metres per session especially on the earlier session. 

Bike - I tend to have trouble with the stretching out the bike.  In the OS did 3-4  two hour rides and typically I've been on the low end of time in the OS.  I also got in most of the zn3 time this year so decent work coming in the the IM plan.

Run - Continue to ramp up 15' per week, pushing up 20' when total time get close to 200'.  I'm currently at 120' last week.  I went back to 3X as per the swim camp schedule 35';35' and 50'.  I ran through the swim camp but had to take a down week in 14 of the JOS.  Things are still rolling along and I'll may require one more down week during the IM plan, but will monitor that to ensure I'm ready for the race rehearsals later in the plan.

Questions:
    1) How should I structure week 1?  Wk 1 IM plan has testing which I'm going to skip.  I'll on the trainer mostly and will do a bike test in week 4.    Just do a carbon copy of week 2 or would you like to see the big day on Saturday - 60 swim, 180' bike 60' then Sunday off.  Wk 2 does have more bike volume?

2) Swim drills - The swim drills seems to really help this year should I continue to with 500-600 M of drills with my extra swimming or perhaps as part of my warm up?  I did mostly technique, not propulsion as my balance and form is so bad in the water.  My concern here is time and I don't want to cut the rest of the workout off.  I takes me 1 hour 15 minutes to get in 2500-2600M.

3) Any Run speed beyond TRP/zn2?  Run I plan to structure them as Mon, Tue, Thurs (long and split when time increases enough), and Saturday.  Week 1 will be 60' long run.  Most runs have been 12:30-12' mark until the last couple.  I've pushed the back half of the run a little 11'30" miles wiith a little push as then end to zn3.

I did 50' yesterday 4X1 mile with 30" walk breaks and feel decent today.  I guess I'm hoping to get 12' miles to feel like my z1 easy pace by the end of the IM plan.  Current weight 233.  I'm hoping this will drive my run speed increases basically as I lose weight just increase my speed 1-2" per mile say on a weekly basis?  Thoughts or is this too aggressive.

https://www.strava.com/activities/963556781http://

Thanks again.

• Options
    @Gordon Cherwoniak - thanks for the update. You are in a good place, especially if you know your tendencies to drift off... :smile: Experience is an added benefit!

1. Week One - Do it as planned just do 2 x 12' (3') @ Zone 4 for the bike WKO, and then run as you see fit instead of the test. Yes to the Big Day if you can get it done. It's a great gut check!

2. No pushing the runs really. If you feel good, you can "pick it up" in the last mile. Don't look at the watch, just run as fast as feels good to you. Then go back and check it out!

3. Your progression is fine, and I think your plan is reasonable. Technically you shouldn't "have to" force the pace down every week -- it should naturally happen. But yes to keeping a close eye on it. The consistency is going to help you with that weight loss!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick Just one follow up note. I think I do have to watch the run speed at the end of my 4.6 miler above I was picking it up in the mid to low 10' miles and I even pushed it in to the high nines.  I seem to be able to relax during the run and even a 'pick it up' starts to get quite a bit faster than my 12' mile pace.  Part of this comes from running cross country and with my brother years ago, we always picked it up the last mile home and sprinted the finish all out no exceptions.

Let just say I'm fairly certain I could run a  sub 29' 5K and put up a sub 9' mile most like in the 8:30 range, if properly motivate this just might aggravate my foot.  For reference a few years back in the OS I finished with a 38 vdot at around this weight, I started in the low 30's if not at 30 that OS.  So it's not about me forcing the pace down but actually holding myself back whiile having a sensible target to: a) give a more gradual increase in speed to reduce potential injuries and b) manage the mileage increase which I seem to be fairly sensitive to particularly in the OS when the time/mileage was much lower c) I actually want the speed to increase some to hopefully be able to settle in to a 12' to 12:30 pace for the LP race.  I think I just have to forget c and let my race pace be what it is based on my run race rehearsal later in the IM plan.

I'm trying to mostly guard again the injury part of a) and being overaggressive.

No need to comment further pn your above points unless the above spurs something significant.

• Options
    edited June 6, 2017 5:09PM
    @Coach Patrick

Things are chugging along.  I'm in week 6 of the 12 week IM plan and see that Thursday's run is no longer split.  Last week I did 180' total with a Thursday run 90' split 60/30' and felt good.  The previous week I only ran twice and took a down week which was the first once since the OS.

Should I lengthen out the Thursday run or keep a split run?  I'm added 20' this week to the Thursday run so 110' total but I've ran nothing beyond 60' or ` 5miles  in a single session.  I was thinking of keeping a split run say 80' then 30' on the back end. 

There are a couple 140' long runs and a run race rehearsal in week 9 of 180' which I hoped to tackle so maybe it's time to just jump in and run 120' and see how it goes.  I do have a massage on Wednesday so the calves should be good to go.

• Options
    @Gordon Cherwoniak -  Nice work! You're right there on the bubble… I am OK with you doing a single two hour session, but be ready to clear the decks on Friday for some recovery. The biggest Delta is not only the beating on your legs, but also the nutrition to make sure you have that Daldon both during the run as well as recovery from that run.

Maybe go back to do a split on the following week and then go back up to an "complete" run moving forward… All were trying to do was make this digestible for your body.

Speaking of your body, how's the composition battle going?
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick Composition is going in the right direction but not as fast as I'd like.  227 down 4 during the IM plan and down from 250 at the start of the OS.  This is right around what I was at for 2015.  My goal below 220 and if I could get dialed in for 2lbs I might even hit 215 for race day. 

As for Friday I'm off work and Patti and Brody are going to the farm (her parents for a couple days) today so easy to clear the decks.
  • Options
    @Gordon Cherwoniak-  those last few pounds are always the hardest but you are  so close hopefully these last few long runs really put you over the edge. And enable you to break through. Those lost 10 pounds, even to 217, would be amazing. Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    @Coach PatrickLast week went off well only 2 swims but hit the cycling minus 30' of the ABP and 220' of running with a good long run.  Note mile 5 I stopped for new bottle and a bathroom break as I looped back home.  Other wise 12:20 is TRP and 11:20 Z2  with 11:04 being z3 hitting those run targets with a little push as the end.  Recovery was decent but I did not get to the pool, life issues and my bad planning on Friday.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1026675579

For week 15, camp week or 7 of 12.  I can't get in the camp volume nor do I think I can handle it.  This week was one of the first I did a Sunday ABP ride. Again I have Friday off but have to tend to some business most of the day which will possibly go in to Saturday thus question 2.

Three questions:
    1) Should I just push out a duplicate of last week maybe trying for 5-6 hours on the bike Saturday instead of the 4.5 hours?  This would be a bike/run brick as the pool does not open until 9am on the weekends which is not logistically feasible this weekend for me.  Also note I've been doing all these rides on the trainer up to this point.  I hope to get outside this weekend but no guarantee's for the whole this for sure. 
    2) I might have to switch the long bike to Sunday.  Do I just flip the ABP ride 60-90' to Saturday.  I may have to tone down the intensity of the Sunday ride a little but particularly in teh 7X20' z2 -z3 stuff but should be manageable for  4.5-5 hours for sure. 
    3)  I believe I can handle the 140' run which I would do on Thursday if we go with a standard week.

As always thanks for the guidance.

• Options
    @Gordon Cherwoniak-  thanks for the update! While you are at 100% working to the plan, you are being very consistent and building your effort. Ultimately that is all I can ask for.

Really excited to see how that one is progressing, as I know you can survive the bike!

I think the best course of action is to repeat last week for this week, with the goal of getting in that double weekend ride. Those back to back roads will accelerate your cycling fitness to match what you've been able to achieve on the run.

If you have to swap the Saturday and Sunday, then yes dial the ABP effort down. 
     If possible I would like one bigger back to back road weekend. Not sure if that something you can plan for a head of time, but it will be in "nice to have" thing before the race. Not required at all, but nice to have.

Final thing on my radar here is your nutrition. Often times it can be different outside versus in, so I hope you are focused on that! Especially the fluids. 
  • Options
    @Coach PatrickI hear you on the nutrition and have been doing the same thing as 2015 when it was hot.  I drink every 10 minutes mostly gatorade but water and some salt to supplement as I need more fluids at 225 than I get from gatorade. 

I had to move the long bike to Sunday 4.5 hours today.  Feel decent but missed some workouts this week.  As for the week I was tired not feeling well Wedensday (off work) and Friday was a bust due to life and 10th anniversary.

My plan is to move the race rehearsal to Friday as the pool times suck on the weekend, 9am opening.  I'm trying to avoid running 3X in a row and back to back off the long run other that that I'm think I'm game. 

So week structure as follows:
    Mon -  Swim 3400 30' run
    Tuesday Swim 3400 Bike Threshold 75'
    Wednesday Long run 140'
    Thursday - Off
    Friday  Swim 3800, bike 210M(+30-60) run 40'
    Saturday Bike 210 - extend out if possible for the back to back.  Not sure what kind of intensity I can muster but probably just look to get .68-.75 as time in the saddle being more important than anything else.
    Sunday Run 30
  • Options
    @Gordon Cherwoniak - there is nothing wrong with missing work outs if you are tired! I don't call that a mistake, I call that being smart!

The weekly structure you have outlined here looks great, and I'm sure you will be looking forward to your Thursday day off! :-) Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick

On to the modification for run race rehearsal week 17 of 20.  It's Canada day this Saturday and I have to travel to the late with the in law's going Saturday morning and returning Monday.  So here's my plan

Coming off an okay week I miss the threshold bike again this week so Tuesday and Thursday were off. Sunday was just a 30' run and I felt pretty decent today given the big day on Friday and the followup of 2h 10' riding on Saturday.  I slept in a couple extra hours versus time in the saddle, almost 10 hours of sleep.  This Saturday bike was .67-.74 mostly in the lower range.  Still having done all my rides on the trainer but moving to the road for the next couple weeks.

Monday - Swim 3500 Run 30'
    Tuesday Bike Threshold 75'
    Wednesday - Run race rehearsal 180'
    Thurs - Swim 3700
    Fri - 300' bike 40' run
    Sat - 150-210' bike (what ever I can get in before we head out) 20' run optional
    Sunday 3800M wetsuit swim in lake.

I may have to bail on the Thursday swim as it seems fatigue is creeping up on me. 
  • Options
    @Gordon Cherwoniak -  The modifications look great to me. I understand the need for consistency with your training and that we have that balanced with your need for rest. I suggest you visit your nutrition both in workout and post workout to make sure that your recovery is optimal.  Sometimes I find that I am really dehydrated once I begin to move outside, and it takes me a couple days to both figure it out and get back into balance. 

That Thursday swim could be "pull only" with a buoy if that gets you to the pool and get you moving your arms!!

Hopefully these longer sessions are accelerating your body composition improvements. Keep me posted. 
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick The post LP discussion thread.  I've taken a couple week down time, have 1 swim and 2 short runs (1mile) this past week and fired up this thread to the team on my sub 6 hour 70.3 in July 2018.

https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/23642/input-requested-road-to-a-sub-6-70-3-its-long#latesthttp://

This thread has more detail on block ii-v, if you have time to read.

What are your thoughts moving forward, particularly on some run speed work in the latter 4 weeks of this 8 week block?

Goals for next year’s 70.3 in July are as follows:                                               

Swim 42’ Bike 2:59:00 Run 2:10 - 8’ transitions

Metrics 2:12/100M  from a 1000 TT/  FTP 275 W/kg 3.18; VDOT 42

Current metrics from Lake Placid

IM swim 1:36:00 - lap one average 2:28/100M lap two average 2:31/100M;

3 - 1000M TT leading up to IM plan 25:07; 24:22 (2:26) and 24:30.

FTP 238  - weight 225lbs  w/kg = 2.33  IM  time 7:50:40 @.64 IF or 14.28mph.  55miles in 3:43:XX.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1109182614

Run – No VDOT IM run 6:01:32 = 13:48’ miles -  ~2 hour 55’ to cover the first 13 miles at Lake Placid.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1109182548

Training Blocks

i)Aug 14-Oct 8th 8 weeks – Run focus (durability 4weeks /speed 4weeks) with a side of swim focus

ii)  *Oct 9th-Dec 10th 9 weeks  - More run durability/speed and a little less swim 2-3Xweek

iii) Dec 11-Jan 7th – 4 weeks pre OS

iv) **Jan 8th-April 29 - 14 weeks OS + 2 weeks swim camp

v) April 30 – July 22nd 2018 – 12 weeks as 5 GFP, 7 weeks ½ IM Plan which includes a flex week for family summer trip to the lake

*Note as of Oct 9th I go on parental leave and will be the primary caregiver of a 6 month old.  Logistics may limit swimming at this point but I’m still looking in to this.

** April 9th 2018 back to work full time.

How do I get there:

Block i Aug 14-Oct 8th

Run focus, simply due to my rekindled joy for running I’m starting here.  That is limited admin time and it will get me out the door. 

Plan is to run 4-5X week 30-60’; swim 3-4X ~2500M bike 1X FTP/Vo2 work 60’. 

Swim – Tue/Thus/ Sat/Sun          Bike – Wed         Run  Mon/Tue/ Th/Fri/Sat

Run – My weekly mileage going in to LP was 20,21, 23 max so pick up around there trying to build to mid 20’s to close to 30 miles/ week. Weeks 1-4 mostly durability z1/z2 stuff with strides.  One run some zn3, 10-15’ max.  Weeks 5-8 I’ll incorporated more z4 running, like the old os workouts (3-4X.5 mile or 2-3X1 mile @z4).   This would be once or twice a week (Mon/Sat).   I’ve responded to this quite well to the zn4 run work in a couple OS’ I’ve come in to and could run.  If I had to guess my VDOT is maybe 31-32.  The plan is to do a test week in week 3 or 4. 

End of block goal 34 VDOT – I’ve got 7-8 points in the OS previously with this kind of work.  Oct 9th Turkey Trot would be ideal or just head out for a 5k test.

Swim 4X week with my target is 4 weeks of mostly drills 2500M per session like the week 11-15 OS stuff.  I was seeing advances this year but as I lengthened out the workouts for my IM training my form broke down and I actually lost a little speed.  2nd 4 weeks, drills 2X and 2X more shorter speed stuff to keep form (50’s, 100’s, 200’s).   One day would have a benchmark 6-X100’s.

Goal 1000M TT 2:20/100 after 4 weeks and 2:18 at completion.  This might be a little aggressive particularly the 2:20 but we will see.

Bike – Just a dust off once a week to keep rolling, this is not make or break as I typically take 4-6 months off and I know the watts will come back.  60’ FTP something 8’(4’);10’(4’);8 (4’).   Maybe every 3 or 4 week a Vo2 session 5X1’(1’) with some .8-.85 stuff.

If I need some additional family bandwidth I’ll drop the bike go down to 3, and 2 swim sessions per week.  If I’m getting Z4 run work I’m okay dropping the bike for a few weeks totally.

Weight <220 

• Options
    @Coach PatrickJust bumping this up for your input.  No huge rush on this one. 

One addition - I had an impromptu speed session in week one that made me realize I'm not ready for a huge amount of speed work.  1.1 miles in to work 12:35 (net downhill);1.1 back to car 10:07.  So strides and maybe so Z3 10-15' once a week at the end of a 60' session is now what I'm thinking.  The rest of my running will be durability until I get some more weight off.

• Options
    GC -  sorry for the delay in getting back to you. When you post threats like that, I need to head over to my laptop it's been quite a bit of time making sure all the numbers add up. It's not a simple yes or no answer! Thanks for your patience.

I think we should also work, in concert with your love for data, from the macro down to the micro.

Yes to the run consistency  that helps all of your goals and is easy to do even for short periods of time.

We need to crack the nut on your body composition. I don't know what the Delta is that will work for you, but that should be a top priority. Remember every pound you lose makes you faster so tell me your plan for crushing that. Have you done the math on your daily calories? What is your biggest weakness in terms of food and how can we address it? 

Even without the volume from Iron Man training, now is the time to build the nutritional habits that will help you just be a better human and eventually a better racer. 

The blocks you have laid out some perfect. We can touch base when you're on paternity leave, but there's always a way to work around any constraint. We certainly have enough time to make things happen, it's just putting in place the daily investment that's going to move things forward so we avoid large doses of downtime!
  • Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Your Notes

Swimming 3X week, approximately 2000M. Run was 3Xweek but foot issues have come back 2nd week of stand down. So biking ramped up 2X last week 10-15' of work with 3X this week. 1st session had 3X6 work with 15' .85. This bike information is all subjective as I don't have a charger currently for my garmin. So the work is hard with the .85 stuff on cog easier. The 3rd additional race the duathlon (3/20/3KM) is a maybe as there currently is no 2018 date.

Your Races

• - 05/27/2018(running) Saskatchewan Marathon - 10K Event
    • - 05/06/2018 (Duathlon) Bridge City Duathlon 
    • - Ironman 70.3 Calgary (2018-07-29) #703Calgary_18
    • - 09/09/2018 (running) Queen City Half Marathon

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page. 

• Last updated by Coach on 01/02/2018
    • On 1/8/2018 Load the OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018
    • On 4/16/2018 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 4/29/2018
    • On 4/30/2018 Load the Intermediate Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 06/10/2018
    • On 5/28/2018 Load the Intermediate EN*Half to end on 07/29/2018
    • On 7/30/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 8/12/2018
    • On 8/13/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 9/9/2018

Coach Notes

Gordon, I have outlined your plans above. I am not sure whether you are better suited for L1 or L2, so I leave that to you. I'd like you to get in the Bike Focus plan for a solid bike block this year vs going Short Course into the Duathlon...but I defer to you on that (let me know). 

I think we need to focus on your foot / body comp to see if we can't get you running and healthy. Can you give me some more details on both? 

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options
    @Coach Patrick I took a little more time off than I should have after lake placid closer to 10 weeks but was still active.  I had started up successfully running and swimming mostly in October but it was the combination of the running ramp up, carrying Brody around too much (he's now 22 or so lbs and now walking quite yet), and then moving my brother out of his house (heavy lifting and a lot of moving over 3-4 days).  I actually think the issue was more caused by the 1st two particularly carrying Brody around too much.  I've curtailed this by using the stroller even for short trips etc. and my foot has responded well.

Currently I'm 230lbs so only +5 from my IMLP race 2017.  The plan is to duplicate last year's OS losing 16 lbs with a more aggressive goal 2lbs/week.  I've dug out the core diet weekly plans that I've used with very good success in the past.  Food tracking is also staring back up.  

The foot it's actually the right one, typically I've had PF in the left.  It was nothing major but seemed like similar symptoms so I just shut it down.  I have not done any running for the past 2 weeks.  I'll be trying a 20 minute run tomorrow and see how things feel.  Prior to shutting it down I was doing around 3X30' sessions with 20' of running, TRP/zn2 stuff nothing flashy.  
  • Options
     Thank you so much for the clarification! That makes a lot of sense.

I have to agree with your experience carrying Brody. I remember we had our first I couldn’t figure out why my neck was all jacked up. Then I realized I was carrying a 20 pound weight eight hours a day! Maybe also make sure your footwear is up-to-date as that could be helpful. At the very least, I think backing off will likely help you do the trick.

I really like your idea of stacking the weight improvement across multiple out seasons. Keep me posted! 
  • Options

@Coach Patrick Received the following email November 29th but there's nothing new in this thread that was linked in the email. Not sure if this is a technical glitch or its me. No rush either way I'm just getting back in the swing of things after being sick.

Below is the email:

"Hi Gordon,

Okay, here you go!

Some planning notes added to your personal Coach Thread based off of your Season Plan request: 

https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/22902#latest

Please log in to read my notes, watch my video and let me know what you think by replying to the tread!

For now, see you in the forums!!!

~ Coach P"

• Options

@Gordon Cherwoniak Sorry brobeans, I forgot to click the SUBMIT button. *smacks self in face* so sorry about that!!!

+++++++++++++

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• 05/31/2020 Running SK 10k or 1/2 Marathon
    • 07/26/2020 Triathlon Calgary 70.3 date has been moved
    • 09/13/2020 (Running) Regina 1/2 Marathon

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• Last updated by Coach on November 22, 2019
    • On 11/26/2019 Load the -- Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/23/2019
    • On 12/2/2019 Load the -- Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/29/2019
    • On 1/6/2020 Load the OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 04/12/2020
    • On 4/13/2020 Load the Swim Camp to end on 4/26/2020
    • On 4/27/2020 Load the EN Half Bike Focused to end on 7/26/2020
    • On 7/27/2020 Load the Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 8/9/2020

Your Notes

Coach P - No rush on my yearly plan I know you have a lot right now along with IMAZ.

Have not raced since IM Lake Placid 2017.  Fitness is established but low threshold for typical EN high intensity work as my focus has been on weight loss and low intensity workouts to ensure consistency as I have worked through some health issues and general tiredness.  I'm  currently at 213lbs, lowest in 12 years, and targeting sub 200 for JOS with a goal of sub 180 for July 26th key race.  The plan in my head was for run durability in December once running more (see below)and get in higher intensity EN work on the bike 2-3 time/week in December. Then assess going in to the OS with both an FTP and VDot test the week prior.16-17 weeks of consistent run training going now with 8-10 miles/week of walking prior to that just not logged. Final Surge Coach P is listed as my coach so you should have access or Strava link is public- https://www.strava.com/athletes/19324761/training/log?feature=public-training-log

Since August 10th I have average 12 miles/week doing a run walk 10 times per week, split run to and from work approximately 1-1.5miles each. Run durability limited and on low mileage as I have ramped up from only walking to running 105' the week on November 11th. Looking to gradually increase the weekly mileage to 18-20 by JOS.  

Cycling has not been a priority but have been fitting some in rideshere and there on the weekends, weight loss and run durability has been the focus.

Sub 6 1/2 IM is the goal for Calgary 70.3 but that does not preclude me from moving to the beginner ability level given my fitness. Currently It's all about consistency on the run, weight loss, ramp up for JOS in December, a solid JOS, GFP then 1/2 plan with 10K or 1/2 marathon. Note I'd like to have 7 or 8 weeks for the 1/2 plan at the end just due to summer holidays with the in-laws and other vacation work arounds in the summer, 2 flex weeks would be great.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P