Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Colin Turner Official Coach Thread

2»

Comments

• Options

@Colin Turner - Thank you so much for the analysis / deep dive into the race. I think your power of reflection is a super weapon!

Overall...great year. You built fitness while listening to your body and improving your ability to execute.

Race day...solid race. Always nice when a plan comes together. You don't Know until you get to those last miles how it's going to play out (will my fitness be there? Will I have the juice? Can I hold on?) but when it does...total awesomeness.

Moving forward...I like where your head is at re strength and overall goals. My thoughts...

Phase 1 = Nov/Dec/Jan = rebuild

• Strength work at the gym 2x a week
    • Functional stuff at home 1x a week
    • Run durability going from 3 runs/wk to 4, to 5 by Jan. All short (30 minutes -ish) with optional 5k for fun speed.

Phase 2 = Feb/Mar/Apr = 20 mpw

• Strength work at the gym 1x a week
    • Functional stuff at home 2x a week
    • We build the 5x wk run plan into more of an endurance space. 2 of them closer to an hour, 3 shorter, and there's some cross training here to help you get run of 20 miles but aerobic time beyond that.
    • Consolidated running building to a 13.1

Phase 3 = May+ = 30 mpw

• Targeting Race Pace and Faster running.
    • Good hard short running in Summer during vacation alternated with some long easy stuff.
    • Setting the tone for a 16 week build to a Marathon (we can fudge timeline depending on your race, etc)

Questions

• Spring half marathon ... Is that a fast one? As in peaking? Or just a race?
    • Do you run inside or out in the winter?

PS - Let's update your profile picture when you get the chance…it really helps the Team to "get to know you" a lot better. And I bet you have a cool Half Marathon photo lying around somewhere! 🤣

You can do that by following this animated GIF (below)…

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Thanks for these detailed thoughts -- and congrats on your age-group win & 11th Kona Qualifier! Super interesting hearing your debrief on the podcast.

Here are my thoughts and answers:

Questions

• Spring half marathon ... Is that a fast one? As in peaking? Or just a race?

--Just a race, to test out fitness and get a good hard long run under my belt. I'm thinking of March or April for this.

--Also, the BAA 5k is mid-April, the Saturday before the Marathon, and I'd like to throw down a solid effort on that.

• Do you run inside or out in the winter?

--A mix of both. I'll go outdoors, especially for a longer run, but for a quick 2-3 miler, I'll do the treadmill.

Phase 1 = Nov/Dec/Jan = rebuild

• Strength work at the gym 2x a week [Some weeks I can fit in 2 lifting sessions, probably not every week.]
    • Functional stuff at home 1x a week
    • Run durability going from 3 runs/wk to 4, to 5 by Jan. All short (30 minutes -ish) with optional 5k for fun speed.

--I can see building up to 5 runs per week by the end of January. I'm doing 2-3 now, about 20-30 mins each, so building from there.

Phase 2 = Feb/Mar/Apr = 20 mpw

• Strength work at the gym 1x a week
    • We build the 5x wk run plan into more of an endurance space. 2 of them closer to an hour, 3 shorter, and there's some cross training here to help you get run of 20 miles but aerobic time beyond that.
    • Consolidated running building to a 13.1

--Is there a running plan I should load into FinalSurge for this phase?

--Also, Is there any tempo or interval work in this phase, or just getting miles under the feet at TRP?

Phase 3 = May+ = 30 mpw

• Targeting Race Pace and Faster running.
    • Good hard short running in Summer during vacation alternated with some long easy stuff.
    • Setting the tone for a 16 week build to a Marathon (we can fudge timeline depending on your race, etc)

--This sounds great. A September Marathon would be ideal; I know my training will back off a little when school starts, and if I'm tapering, it would fit perfectly.

*Profile pic updated!

*I'm feeling the benefit of the strength work I've been doing on my runs. Feeling smooth, strong and efficient!

• Options

@Colin Turner - thanks for the detailed notes in Feedback. I think we are on the same page here, which is great. I hope you are on track to hit 5 mile five runs by the end of January, that would be a great project for you. If you are truly doing a half marathon in April, you can do that 5K along the way. In terms of a training plan, I would simply load up one of our half marathon plans and follow it for the 12 weeks into that race.

you can continue to follow the strength of the progression that we discussed here, just make sure that we are getting longer runs in but you need to be successful at the half.

once you load the training plans, I will be happy to get in there and give you some advice on modifications based off of your goals. 👍

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Hi Coach -- update on where I'm at in these wild times.

Had a setback about a month ago; very tight and sore quad muscles on the left side, traced that to tight lumbar muscles in the back and tight hips. Took a step back from heavy lifting and longer runs, and have been focusing on bodyweight interval training for strength, lots of yoga and range of motion training, and keeping my endurance up with 4-5 runs each week.

I did a 5k trial last weekend and ran it at 7:00 pace. Felt great, kept form, made it a 6.5 mile run, for an 18-mile week.

I'm feeling ready to start building mileage volume again (slowly) and keep at the muscle release and stretching routine. I'm working from home, so have lots more time to fit in those yoga and bodyweight strength sessions.

I'm thinking of having 5 runs/week consistently now, building up a long run from 6 - 10 miles over the next month, aiming to be running consistently 25 miles/week by end of May. (Currently around 12-15 miles/week, frequent shorter runs).

As a next "race" target I'd like to run a half marathon in June. Do a fast 10k in early May as a test and hard workout. Still aiming for marathon in Sept/October.

Let me know your thoughts or recommendations. I'll load up a half marathon plan for around late May, and plan to do it solo, unless I find a good "physical-distance" running group or race.

Happy running down in Rhode Island. Stay safe.

Colin

• Options

@Colin Turner That sounds like a perfect build to me. Re the weights I think that you might want to consider "cycling" that so you have some work and recovery from that aspect of your training. You might already do this but I wanted to ask; we often "cycle" through running but strength can become a habit.

The 5 runs a week are great. Remember, run frequency is key. So now that you are home and have extra time that could be an option for you with that flexible schedule!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Colin Turner I got your Check-In update, and have pasted it below. This is part of our monthly process to stay connected, so thanks for filling it out!

Rankings are as follows:

• Swim Fitness vs Last Month:
    • Bike Fitness vs Last Month:
    • Run Fitness vs Last Month: 3
    • Body Comp vs Last Month: 2

Next month's focus: Building endurance at race pace, continue building mileage durability. Consistently 20-25 miles/week with long run over 8.

I really like how your fitness is coming together. You do such a great job of balancing work and recovery. Spending time at recipes is really important, and there's lots of different ways that you can manage it. In addition to what you see in your training program, you can also tweak the main set effort accordingly to create different types of adaptations.

• You can run AT / FASTER / SLOWER work, where the Faster / Slower delta is 10" per mile.
    • You could run sustained time just below your race pace (10" slower per mile). This is more sustainable and beneficial for steady events (vs surging ones).
    • You could combine the work as in Warming Up, then 1.5 miles at 10 to 15" faster than race pace..then run same distance exactly at Race Pace. Will make for a challenging 3 mile segment!

~ Coach P

(617) 513-3830