Home Coaching Forum 🧢

Scott Imlay's Micro

123457»

Comments

• @Scott Imlay -- sorry to hear about the race deferment, but honestly I think it's the best option. Your season is heavily weighted to the latter half of the year, and hopefully we will have a much better environment for you to compete in at that time.

I would prefer that you finish out the bike focus plan for the remaining weeks, continuing the progression that we've developed from earlier in this year. Then yes, you can pick up the 50 miler balance plan starting in week one. That is the perfect transition. The only caveat to that is You might need a little bit of rest in that first week. Don't push too hard as you make the transition, listen to your body in case we need to rest a little bit more aggressively on the front end.

Let us know if you need help with those plans!

~ Coach P

• @Scott Imlay Got your update! 👏 Here it is for safe keeping...

Rankings are as follows:

- Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 1

- Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 2

- Run Fitness vs Last Month: 3

- Body Comp vs Last Month: 2Next month's focus: Prep for self supported 50M run. Also doing "Rainiering" with Al Truscot next week.Extra help request: Keep doing virtual events like UltraMay!

Enjoy the Rainer adventure and be sure to take some pictures!!! As for the 50M prep, please post that to the Gen Discussion forum and tag (below post) as Ultra so others can chime in! 👍

~ Coach P

• Hi Coach,

I have three more weeks of the 50-mile/100k ultra plan. I'm planning a self-supported 50-miler late this month. After that I have the DIY tri at the end of August and, maybe, CdA 70.3 on September 6.

My Question: What sort of recovery should I do after the 50-miler?

• Take a light week and go straight into the bike-focused 70.3 plan?
    • Follow the post-70.3 plan?
    • Other?

Thanks!

Scott

• @Scott Imlay - Great to hear from you! And even greater to hear that you were still on track. Not sure why am surprised, but I just wanted to give you some kudos. You were going to definitely need some rest. Here is what I would recommend:

Mon -  Off / Elevate Legs / Hydrate

Tues - Off / Elevate Legs / Hydrate

Wed - Easy bike For 30 minutes

Thu -  Off / Elevate Legs / Hydrate

Fri - Easy bike For 30 minutes, 30 minute walk.

Sat - Long ride day.

Sun - Off / Elevate Legs / Hydrate

We do all of the resting early, and then begin to layer in some activities on top of it. The target is to have you ready for that long ride by Saturday, which is just a very long day in the saddle. We want to keep it mostly in zone one, it has nothing to do with performance. This is just focusing on hydration and enjoying the ride. It will give a great boost to your aerobic fitness and help reactivate some of those cycling muscles that have become a little dormant. You should be able to Load up the remainder of the 70.3 for that following week!

~ Coach P

• @Scott Imlay I got your Check-In update, and have pasted it below. This is part of our monthly process to stay connected, so thanks for filling it out!

Rankings are as follows:

- Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 3

- Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 3

- Run Fitness vs Last Month: 2

- Body Comp vs Last Month: 2

Next month's focus: DIY Tri in late August, then a 50K trail run in early September.

Extra help request: With only a couple weeks between the DIY Tri and the 50K, I think I'll just rely on residual fitness for the 50K. Sound good? Other suggestions?

Hey man, so good to hear from you! Did you see that you're on track for the DIY triathlon! 👍

Transitioning to the run could be tricky. I know you have a good baseline level of running, with two lighter weeks in recent history. The key is going to be being able to put it all together in one longer run. If you were able to, I would get one long weekend of back to back runs in. Something like this:

• DIY Tri Weekend
    • Long run weekend 15 + 10
    • Taper Weekend

If that doesn't work, you could add a long run the day after the run of the DIY Tri (13+12) and you could compress it. Thoughts?

~ Coach P

• edited August 26, 2020 5:44PM

@Coach Patrick I've talked myself into joining Gabe, Tim, Rob, and the rest of the crazies doing the Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim run on October 24. I'll still do the 50K in a couple weeks, but I'll take it a little easier and use it as a training run.

To get ready, I assume I need to use the balanced UltraRun 50M/100K plan. I'll load it today and do the final 8 weeks. Thoughts?

• YES!! @Scott Imlay that sounds like a blast! I think the balanced 50M plan is perfect.

I would say that "hacking" the plan to work in climbing training is important. Both for me climbing and descending standpoint.

You will power hike most of the Ups, and want to be smooth enough on the Downs. There's some good reading for you online inside the ultra running section of the members website: https://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/UltraRunning.aspx - see the Racing section for hills, etc.

Once you have the plan loaded, let me know and I can help you out from there with any modifications.

~ Coach P

• Thanks @Coach Patrick! The plan is loaded.

• When I was training for the 50M race (unfortunately cancelled) I tried to achieve a weekly elevation gain that matched the elevation gain of the race (8700'). Should I do that again - attempt to gain 11,000' each week?

• Great question. Not right away. Call it a progression.

1. 6k gain
    2. 7.5 gain
    3. 9k gain
    4. 9k gain
    5. 11k gain
    6. 11k gain
    7. taper
    8. run
  • @Scott Imlay I got your Check-In update, and have pasted it below. This is part of our monthly process to stay connected, so thanks for filling it out!

I believe most of the smoke has relented, but regardless in these times we just have to dial things back. There is no "alternate" session unless you are Z2 indoors and smokefree...the cost to your lungs under duress is too high. How are you feeling now?

~ Patrick

Scott Imlay Is on the TeamEN (Coaching + Community Level) and is following the UltraRun 50M / 100K Plan, Balanced [16 Weeks].

His Rankings are as follows:

- Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 2

- Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 2

- Run Fitness vs Last Month: 2

- Body Comp vs Last Month: 3

Next month's focus: Preparing for the Grand Canyon Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim on 10/23

Extra help request: Fighting "Hazardous to Everyone" wildfire smoke that has made it impossible to run this week. I'm trying to compensate with Z2 biking while wearing an N95 mask (like breathing through a straw with vigorous exercise). Starting tomorrow I'll be power hiking up hills wearing the mask. Any other suggestions?

• edited October 28, 2020 9:57PM

Hi @Coach Patrick ,

Five days ago (Oct 23) I did the Grand Canyon Rim-to-Rim (South to North) but didn't do the return run (North to South). I ended up with gastrointestinal issues and hypoxia, so I quit at the North rim and rode back in the car with Brian Hagan and Peter Noyes. We started at 3am, and I think the darkness fooled me into thinking it wasn't as hot in the Canyon as it really was. I commonly have gastrointestinal issues in IMs but this is the first time I've had this problem in an Ultramarathon.

I've been mostly walking since then, and did a short bike and run today. I think I'll do a few mile hike/run on the Black Canyon trail (AZ) tomorrow.

Kelli and I are currently on the road and won't be back home until mid-November. Should I do the November OS?

• @Scott Imlay so sorry to hear about the gastrointestinal issues. That early start is really, really tough on the body...especially all the downhill parts. I am curious about the hypoxia and how you diagnosed it..can you share that out a bit?

I like you in the NOV OS when you are ready, esp after this active rest period. But the first week or so might be "adaptations" just to get back to a regular schedule with some quality in it (on the bike).

Is everything functionally sound for you right now?

~ Patrick

• edited November 11, 2020 6:47PM

@Coach Patrick back in my competitive glider-flying days, I took a Naval Aviator High-Altitude class where they put you in a vacuum chamber and let you experience Hypoxia. Each person has different symptoms. My symptoms of hypoxia are tunnel vision and tingling in my extremities. I experienced those symptoms near the top of the climb to the North Rim. I suppose dehydration could do this, but I've been dehydrated before and didn't have these symptoms. It felt just like the hypoxia I've had in the past. I'm very disappointed that I experienced hypoxia at such a low altitude! I used to fly at altitudes of 12,000' to 14,000' for hours with no issues. I guess I need to spend some time at altitude before doing something like the r2r2r again.

I'm still dealing with some minor issues (tight hip, mild plantar fasciitis) but I'm able to run. I have to be careful with intensity at the moment (2 miles at Z3/Z4 are what started the plantar fasciitis) but strides don't seem to bother me. My bike setup isn't great for intensity unless I have some good hills nearby (we're still on the road in our motorhome). Mostly I've been doing easy rides.

• @Scott Imlay - thanks for clarifying. I can never tell if people know what they're talking about or if they just asked "Dr. Google" what's going on. 🤣 Sounds like you probably have some pretty epic stories from those adventures. I'm also surprised if you experience it there, but it's possible just a lack of acclamation is what somethings off. It doesn't take much to hit a tipping point, and once you go over the threshold it's hard to get it back. Remember that extended time driving and setting can exacerbate your hip and plantar fascia. Be kind to your body with frequent breaks and lots of walking / light stretching!

~ Coach P

ps let me know when you are home!