Homeβ€Ί Coaching Forum 🧒

Rob Tune 2019 Official Coach Thread [PlanEN]

124Β»

Comments

• Definitely down with the plan!

• I started Run Durability for Triathletes Phase 1 this week. Let me know if I should be using a different plan. My thought was to cycle through the Run Durability phases through the end of the year as mentioned.
    • Next year, I am registered for IM Wisconsin on September 12th.
    • The key will be what OTHER races I should do (ie. Do a 70.3 Warm-up race, or a half marathon... etc).
  • @Rob Tune - yes to RDP for Triathletes...perfect! πŸ‘

Wisconsin.... βœ…Β 

Ideally you get to do a big bike weekend (3 days?), in June...and a half in July...that would be my best case scenario for you in milestones. The others, like an end of OS half marathon, are easy to slot in!

~ Coach P

• So, to make sure I understand:

• Half Marathon (Apr-May)
    • Big Bike Weekend (June) - Would like to know more about this
    • Half Ironman (July)
    • Full Ironman (Sep) - Wisconsin

I've run two marathons before (a loooooong time ago), and they were executed less than brilliantly. I know I am capable of really strong results with the right race plan. Half Marathons are kinda my jam! Do you think it makes sense to get more comfortable with marathoning again (sometime before WI)???

• @Rob Tune - yes, that's the timeframe we were talking about. There is really zero correlation between an open marathon and one that you run in an Iron Man. The training structure is the same but the paces at which we train and race for them every different.

The run in an Iron Man is a function of your bike pacing and nutrition capacity and consistent training leading up to that point. A marathon is about time, an IM Run is about "slowing down less" than the competition.

If you've done the time you can do the "work" up until race day.

I prefer the half marathon distance as they are a close proxy for a full. IOW we can say that a half of 2hours is pretty close to a 4:15-4:20 full. And we can do that without all the stress and fatigue that longer training really requires.

Big Bike Weekend is a fun adventure. We have some thoughts here for you on cycling volume: http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Big+Week+Volume

In the contect of a weekend we would do three days of riding as two long and one short. Call it 100, 100, 50 (or 100, 50, 100, etc). You get the idea. This work, combined with riding during the week should have you some where between 300 and 350 miles for the week...a big dose!

~ Coach P

• Hey @Coach Patrick

I just wanted to touch base on how things have been going along with some quick questions:

1) Run durability has progressed well. Naturally, I am ending up around 28 mpw consistently. Should I be trimming that back (as per your guidance below to 25 mpw, or am I good as long as my body feels ok?

2) Based on your guidance, I invested in my man cave a little. Got a Tacx and a good fan, and am now zwifting, mainly just Hang-On rides because they align best with the RDP schedule. Feels like it's going to be hard to get better unless I get more km in (right now the HOR is a beast for me!). Would it be risky to add cycling rides to my RDP? If not, what types of rides would help (ie. ABP, Intervals, Easy Miles... etc)?

3) For the Jan OS, I assumed Bike Focused and not the full-on Cycling OS. Let me know if this is wrong assumption.

4) Historically I have trained at Level 2 or 3 for run, and Level 1 for cycle. Given I have been doing this for a couple of years, would you recommend pushing my cycle to L2, or since I have had challenges developing my bike FTP, should I take it slowly and stay L1?

Thanks!

• @Rob Tune - 28 mpw is close enough to 25mpw...just no "pushing" the numbers for the run's sake. We are "OS" focused right now. That run durability is huge...

Man cave upgrades!!! Awesome! πŸ’ͺ Hang on ride is great...but it's super tough. Keep it though...and add 2 to 3 other rides during the week of 30 to 45 minutes. Keep it easy (ride with Coco Cadence?) and you can even do some riding as a warm up pre run. Let's add that time in, how you see fit, and then we can start to make some more of it into "work" to challenge you?

OS = yes, Bike Focused please.

L2 bike, L2 run to start through week 5 test....then L2 bike + L3 run.

Onwards!

~ Coach Patrick