Home Coaching Forum 🧢

Robert Sherwood Official Coach Thread

13»

Comments

• @Robert Sherwood I got your Check-In update, and have pasted it below for record keeping....This is part of our monthly process to stay connected, so thanks for filling it out!

Rankings are as follows:

• Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 3
    • Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 3
    • run Fitness vs Last Month: 1
    • Body Comp vs Last Month: 2

Next month's focus: Bike

Extra help request: All good for now

• Hi Coach P: Ok crashed and burned around mile 7 on DIY tri had to walk rest of the way. Literally could not run no matter how hard I tried. I was my first effort at that distance and I hadn't really trained for it, plus it hit upper 90's about that time in run so I was actually pretty happy with the effort. Swim was fine 50 min in pool for 2200 yards. swam easy. Very happy with bike 50 miles 2200 feet of elevation 2:45, hr in low 130's (unfortunately I don't have power meter on my bike) I'm dealing with a lower abdominal injury that only bothers me on the run. It's been on and off for a year but it's got to the point now where I really can't run any measurable distance without significant discomfort.  I'm in week 4 of my Bike Camp plan so I'm going to finish that out and cut out running completely? (I have no issue on bike or swim unless I run first) I've been to Dr. and my brother's a Dr. and they say you just have to rest (I've tried two weeks of that in past and it has not been enough.)  I think that's it. I've really enjoyed getting to know people in group hopefully some day getting to meet in person. Bob

• @Robert Sherwood - graduations on getting it done! That's no small feat especially considering the temperatures and your training load. I am a little concerned about the abdominal pain you were describing. I'd like to know more, specifically if it's muscular or if it's digestive, etc. Can you post a picture here or send it to me in a private messaging group me, with you pointing directly at where the discomfort is. As long as you are wearing a snug shirt I should be able to figure it out. Also, sharp pain? Dull? All run? or late onset?

Thanks!

p

• Two weeks no running.  Not really any change with injury.  I'm doing a lot stretching that focuses on Psoas and surrounding muscles.  I'll check back in a couple weeks let you know.  General recovery period is 6-8 weeks from what I've read.  I'm very happy with my improvements on the bike.  The VO2 stuff is hard but I'm seeing improvements in my max watts over short distances i.e. 5 sec power 1 minute power type numbers.  Which I think is what's supposed to be happening?  I'm also back swimming now 2-3 times a week.

Bob

• @Robert Sherwood I got your Check-In update, and have pasted it below. This is part of our monthly process to stay connected, so thanks for filling it out!

I wanted to check on the run issue / psoas...how are you healing up? I remember it took me some time to get it to calm down before I could start running, slowly, on flat and level services. Where are you at right now?

~ Patrick

Robert Sherwood Is on the TeamEN (Coaching + Community Level) and is following the Other Plan / DIY Training.

His Rankings are as follows:

- Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 1

- Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 3

- Run Fitness vs Last Month: 1

- Body Comp vs Last Month: 2

Next month's focus: Post Best Bike Camp 12 week plan

Extra help request: Set for now

• edited November 5, 2020 10:15PM

Hi Coach:

Ran yesterday, 2 miles for first time in about 8 weeks.  Much better, but I could still feel some discomfort.  I'm a little sore today in the area.  So not sure if I should stop or keep running at low miles.  I finished 12 week bike camp.  As I'm sure you know I had significant increase in my FTP from 241 to 264 per Zwift.  I'd be interested in testing again if you think it's worthwhile.  Going forward I'm not sure what to do.  I have a marathon in March, but who knows if that will happen.  In light of Boston I'd say unlikely.  I'm not swimming because of my shoulder but that should be cleared up in a week.  Should I start NOS?  Or do I need something modified if I can't run?

• @Robert Sherwood - thanks very much for the update. Sorry I didn't catch this earlier. I saw you in the chat and figured that you had already made up your own mind. I'd like to have you idea of you doing a modified out season for right now. We can't stay on the gas all the time for the bike games, which is why I think the racing is a great alternative in the meantime. I could see you darling things back up again on the bike with the New Year.

Run...easy and small bites, lots of stretching. If we can avoid "total not running" that's for the best.

Bike...race as you are able, weekend CNC ride...3 rides per week with some quality, FFT for easy (no race at the end). You need some aerobic time on the bike that's not too hard!

Swim...ease into it when you are ready.

Essentially the next 7 weeks are "bridging" to 2021.

I think as you keep "peak humor" we should be good! 🤣

~ Coach Patrick

• Hi Coach P

So I just want to make sure I understand. I'm in NOS. I'm happy there. I'm following the plan modified as follows:

Tuesday I'm racing with short ez 3 mile run in am. Wednesday ez run instead of intervals I'll probably swim too when my arm heals it's much better now. Thursday Bike NOS WKO on Zwift. Friday FFT. Saturday plan is to do 60 mile aerobic ride that Scott Giljum was making fun of me about because it wasn't his dial it up to 11 ride and ez run. Sunday CnC. Monday is rest day maybe some weights ez swim or ez ride with Al's meet up. That's basically NOS with some biking in place of running. Is this ok?

• @Robert Sherwood yes, that plan looks good, i give you a green shirt green light for that training.

ps how is the arm healing?

• Hi Coach P

Arm is good. I’m going back to pool Wednesday. See how it goes

• @Robert Sherwood that's fantastic. Really take your time with it....swimming with a funky arm is, well, funky. The arm is weightless in the water, but then not out of it. Really focus on good body rotation to support the arm and have flippers on hand if you need to do some excessive kicking between proper swimming to get a workout in. No hard or fast swimming please!

~ Patrick