Home Coaching Forum 🧢

Patrick Quinn Micro Thread

2»

Comments

• @Patrick Quinn no worries, glad to see the video was helpful and to hear that you are all set up. Please let me know if you have any questions about how things are working, as we are here to help you out. You can reply to this form friend or you can go ahead and use the red message button at the bottom of any Endurance Nation website page. Onwards!

• Hey coach!

Hope you are managing well with all this craziness.

I just finished my 40 for 40. It was awesome and I felt very well trained. My family was able to come put and help/pace me throughout the day. Great time. That being said, I have no idea what is next. This of course is everyone’s situation. I did really enjoy all the running I just did leading up to my long run. Just looking for a new plan to load up to continue with it. At this point if all the restrictions are lifted in the next few months I would like to jump in to some running races. Likely marathons or 50ks. What plan do you think I should use now? With all the restrictions running is still ok and I want to keep this fitness. Thank you for your time.

• @Patrick Quinn AWESOME‼️ Do you have anything you could share with the Team? I'd love to do A quick podcast as part of our personal challenges series? You can schedule something with me here: You can schedule a time for the podcast on my calendar here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/podcast If none of those times work, then just let me know via a reply and we can go from there!

Moving forward is a bit tricky, but here's whatI am thinking.

We still have a great deal of time between now and the end of season races on your schedule. It is TBD as to whether or not they will happen, so I think in a way we continue forward. I do agree that running event so likely be better at managing a successful (future) event then a multisport event that have so many local requirements.

You have also done a lot of volume so mixing it up right now makes sense.

1. Recovery for two weeks. Minimal running in week two, week 1 = walk only. Get on the bike and spin the legs, just get looks. This is ABSORPTION phase and will set you up moving forward.
    2. Get Faster Plan (up to 10 weeks). This is "multisport" focused and lower on the volume a good training shift for you to keep your fitness up but change the stimulus. With no swim we have some flexility here to customize that for you.
    3. This puts you in early July, perfect time to start training for a fall marathon, and you'll be ready for the volume.

What say you? Does this map?

~ Coach P

• Hey coach,

Unfortunately it’s been a while since we connected. I ended up w/ a pretty bad case of Achilles tendanopathy (sp?) in the end of spring into the summer. I spent a while rehabbing it w/ physical therapist. Thankfully we were able to resolve the issue w/out surgery. A good regimen of strength and stretching was able to help.

I am finally back in a place where I can begin to focus on building back up to where I was prior to injury. The place I was , was completing a 40 mile run. I really enjoyed the training for that and want to get back to that level. Currently I do not have any races on the docket, mostly b/c of the uncertainty surrounding covid. Regardless I want to get back on a routine and begin to build. What would you suggest I load up in order to begin? Swimming just isn’t in the cards b/c of the lack of pool availability. Running outside as well as at home and cycling are. Your input would be greatly appreciated. I wish I had a more concrete race schedule to present but everything is up in the air. If nothing presents itself, I will likely create my own long run again. In your experience what do you think would be a good time frame to shoot for? As in completing a 40-50 miler. Thanks for your help. Hopefully you are all staying safe and healthy. Enjoy the upcoming holidays.

Patrick Quinn

• @Patrick Quinn - thank you so much for your update. I'm sorry to hear about your injury. That said, this is the perfect year for it. There were literally zero races to participate in! 😢

I think it's a good idea to chart a path forward with your own race destination in mind. This allows you to remain in control of your training and to avoid any potential disruptions associated with changes from the event director and other greater social concerns with regards to Covid.

The first step is defining what a reasonable training regiment is for you right now. I'd like to establish a basic week that you can implement for about four weeks so we can see how you're doing. Part of the reentry process is essentially setting and clearing a very low bar. Our goal here is to better understand your overall health and help align your expectations with the reality of your infrastructure.

I have placed the run re entry program into your account...let's walk the path of that for the first four weeks to see where you are at. You can add cycling on the Orange and Red days, just nothing too hard...deal?

• That sounds good to me. I have been doing some running since finishing up w/ PT. Nothing has been more than 5 miles. As long as I continue w/ the stretching routines I should be good. My focus is definitely to get my fitness back to where I was prior to injury. I’m definitely the type of person who needs a schedule mapped out for me to stay on the path. I will get started w/ what you have put in final surge. Looking forward to getting out of this rut and back to good form.

Thank you

• @Patrick Quinn -- fact. I have found that athletes who are focused on bigger endurance goals often struggle with completing the basics. In this case, your challenge is to return to basic training and execute well. It's not a test of fitness, but more one of discipline. Still a critical part of what we do!

Please keep me posted!

~ Coach P