Home Group Discussion-OutSeason November 2010
Options

WEEK 14 Run Test

2»

Comments

• Options
    Posted By Dan Gilliatt on 02 Feb 2011 07:54 PM

Nice work William, exactly how I run a 5k race.

That's what I told him when I suggested it. Works for me too.

• Options
    Posted By Matt Sullivan on 02 Feb 2011 09:15 PM
    Posted By Dan Gilliatt on 02 Feb 2011 07:54 PM

Nice work William, exactly how I run a 5k race.

That's what I told him when I suggested it. Works for me too.

you are worthless and weak mr sullivan, run faster next time 

• Options
    Careful here folks, or we're going to have to start using pink fonts!
  • Options

Tried to do my run test yesterday AM, but made it 2 miles and then had to call it quits.  Two things were going on - (1) I think I've got some kind of lingering cold thing (no symptoms, just more tired lately); and (2) some pain behind my left knee almost like a "hyper-extended" feeling started to show up during running.  The knee thing makes me nervous.  I deciced to just up my vDot a little and go from there.  Running fast isn't exactly my specialty.

I'll hit the Thursday bike/run brick tonight and see how it goes.

• Options
    No run test for me yet. Nailed the bike Monday and was looking forward to Run yesterday but the Blizzard here had me shoveling for hours. Still sore this AM and it is daughter's b-day today so I went to work early and will do run test late tonight or tomorrow AM

Lots of Run motivation from you all!!
  • Options
    Okay so Sunday's run following Sats workout was tough for me. Legs felt heavy and some mild piriformis tightness. Lots of foam rolling, sticking and stretching today. Blame some of it on the new bike fit. Noticed I had to go into a higher gear yesterday and it actually felt good.

7.5 miles total today. 1 mile warm then MS: 2 x 400, then 2 x (1 x 1200, 1 x 400, 1 x 200) all @ TP/Z4/Hard with full recoveries between each.

New vDOT is 49 and it seemed really tough....400's at 9.4, 1200's@9.6-I really struggles holding these so the second one I started at 8.6 and built into it finishing at 9.6, and 200's at 10.7.

Well at the firehouse now....Pot luck for superbowl....Time to get my eat on!!!

• Options
    @Carl, how are you figuring those paces? My Vdot is 51.5 and my Z4 pace is 6:38 = 9.05 MPH, but your Vdot is 49 and you're running 9.4, 9.6, 10.7MPH? I'm confused.

As for me, another hour on the treadmill, did the 2 x 400, 2 x (1200, 400, 200) at 9.3MPH, then 2 x 8'(2') at 9.1MPH, total 7.8 miles. (I've bumped up my zones by .2MPH since I had to postpone the week 14 run test to week 18, but I'm hoping to see that much improvement.) Z3 is so close to Z4 that it's not really much relief, is it?

Time for a session with the fiendish foam roller; am I ever going to be able to roll out my legs with no painful spots?
  • Options

Its awesome outside and for some reason I decided to go to the gym. Mostly because I had the kiddos. Figuring out the track workout on the treadmill seemed like a lot of work. Decided to do 6 x 1 mile with 1/2 mile recoveries. Felt good the whole workout. The splits were 6:19, 6:15, 6:01, 5:56, 5:57, and 5:48 at 1% incline. 11 miles total. Thinking about dusting off the mountain bike this afternoon.

• Options
    Posted By Kevin Mepham on 06 Feb 2011 10:21 AM

@Carl, how are you figuring those paces? My Vdot is 51.5 and my Z4 pace is 6:38 = 9.05 MPH, but your Vdot is 49 and you're running 9.4, 9.6, 10.7MPH? I'm confused.

As for me, another hour on the treadmill, did the 2 x 400, 2 x (1200, 400, 200) at 9.3MPH, then 2 x 8'(2') at 9.1MPH, total 7.8 miles. (I've bumped up my zones by .2MPH since I had to postpone the week 14 run test to week 18, but I'm hoping to see that much improvement.) Z3 is so close to Z4 that it's not really much relief, is it?

Time for a session with the fiendish foam roller; am I ever going to be able to roll out my legs with no painful spots?

Kevin-

I am trying to find the calculator I use.  Someone else sent it to me.  You plug in the distance and time and it figures the speed the tredmill should be set at.  I will find it and plug it in.  How is your 200 the same speed as the 400 and 1200's....

• Options
    Posted By Kevin Mepham on 06 Feb 2011 10:21 AM

Kevin-

Here is the pace calculator I use.  You put in the mileage...ex (0.25 and the time you are to run it in) hit calculate and it gives you the speed you should be running on the tredmill.  Has been right on give a second or two for me.  Today it was dead on.

http://www.arkansasrunner.com/calculators/mileperhr.htm

49 vDot spits out specifically what you should be running your 200, 400, 1000, 1200 and 1600's at. 

• Options

@ Carl, use www.attackpoint.org/ to set your zones based on your recent 5K time.  I believe Kevin has a point and we want to keep you healthy along this journey.

I had a solid 1 hour run today in beautiful 55 degrees and sunshine:  connect.garmin.com/activity/66994219

Feeling healthy and stronger - not a bad place to be going into week 15 of the OS!!!

• Options

@Shaughn: must be on the same wavelength as you... I also ran exactly 58:29 today (although 7.2 miles to your 8)... my pace was about 20 secs too slow on the 1200s and 10 secs too fast on the others... will get the new zones dialed in at some point, strongest and fastest I have felt all OS.

53 degrees and light mist here in Seattle... ideal running conditions as far as I am concerned... it's like having your personal outdoor air conditioner with you on the whole run...who needs the sun anyway?

• Options
    Posted By Shaughn Simmons on 06 Feb 2011 02:20 PM

@ Carl, use www.attackpoint.org/ to set your zones based on your recent 5K time.  I believe Kevin has a point and we want to keep you healthy along this journey.

I had a solid 1 hour run today in beautiful 55 degrees and sunshine:  connect.garmin.com/activity/66994219

Feeling healthy and stronger - not a bad place to be going into week 15 of the OS!!!

Shaughn-

I was running at the Interval zones.  No wonder it felt so damn hard!!  Using the T pace drops my pace to a handling point.

200=44 seconds @ 10.6

Everything else is 8.6 mph....Which is doable.  The interval pace seemed a little hard after Sat bike and run

• Options

Guys - when RnP says "full recovery", I take full advantage! My wko today was right at 1:33! Today, I felt great - guess the cool temps (right around 40), no wind and sun made for perfect conditions. My target heart rate was way below the paces I was running so I just laid it down. Targets were: 1200 @ 5:25, 400 @1:49, and 200 @ :54

2 X 400 @ 1:51, 1:46

1200 @ 5:13

400 @ 1:47

200 @ :51

1200 @ 5:03

400 @ 1:42

200 @ :50

Wish I could just get these same conditions for my final test! image

• Options
    Missed the bike yesterday (won't be made up) in favor of skiing. Got the run done today at another fire station and another treadmill. Got my intervals done this tmill only goes to 10.0 so I had to use some incline. This one seemed a little harder. Suffered and got it done though.
  • Options

Got it done today.....very tough in the snowy, slushy streets of Toronto. I'm surprised I made it through the whole workout as my legs are completely dead.

2 x 400, 2 x (1200, 400, 200) all at Z4

Total run: 1:00:00

• Options
    That run recipe was too complicated for my brain today, so I just did it as 3 x 1.2 mi. :-)

Paces: 6:15, 6:15, 6:14.

Total 10 mi in 75 min.
  • Options
    My rogue workout continue. So far I have skipped the VDot test on Wednesday, ran 6 miles easy before my Thursday bike then only did the MS. I swam Friday all pull. Yesterday I skied 16 miles in the sun instead of suffering in my pain cave on the bike. And today I ran 14 miles as an LSD at an average pace 15 seconds slower than my Boston goal pace.

How's that for runnin amuck?

Oh yeah, monday's are swim lesson days.....
  • Options
    Note: just catching up here, been a crazy 7 days, with surgery/recovery (son), guests (in-laws/well wishing friends), busy@work.
    so I'll keep it real short.

5k test 20:57 vdot 47
    down just a notch from previous test. was tired heading into the test. but most likely culprit is that this was the first test where I have confidence that the Polar footpod was calibrated correctly. not too worried about the minimal drop considering the previous was reading about 20'' too fast per mile. So, all in all, looks like there was a little gain over the last several weeks.
  • Options
    Posted By Chris Hardbeck on 07 Feb 2011 09:34 AM

Note: just catching up here, been a crazy 7 days, with surgery/recovery (son), guests (in-laws/well wishing friends), busy@work.

so I'll keep it real short.

5k test 20:57 vdot 47

down just a notch from previous test. was tired heading into the test. but most likely culprit is that this was the first test where I have confidence that the Polar footpod was calibrated correctly. not too worried about the minimal drop considering the previous was reading about 20'' too fast per mile. So, all in all, looks like there was a little gain over the last several weeks.

Chris, way to hold the line admist the family/work pressures!  Hope your son recovers well and you get some rest along the way.  On top of all this, seeing improvements in the vDOT is quite amazing!  Congratulations!

• Options
    Appreciate it, Shaughn.

Had this been a few years ago, my head would be in a very different place right now. Making up workouts, double timing, resenting the missed time, testing til I liked the result or hurt the hammy/calf in the meantime, and so on, the negative cycle of trying to beat life on life's terms.

Maybe I'm just mellowin' with age!
  • Options

Completed the run test today... Some minor cramps and rebellion from the Thai Basil Chix Cashew Salad wrap I had for lunch....

Beat my last time by 1:05 and a small improvement in vDOt.  The 10min mile pace still eludes me, but next time, I swear!