Home Group Discussion-OutSeason November 2010
Options

Week 19 Bike/Brick

2»

Comments

• Options

I guess I'll join the ranks of not having a lot in the tank for yesterdays 3 X 15's. Doing a Bikram yoga class before the workout did not help.  I went in  thinking I'd be happy getting 2 X 15's done.   After the warm up I knew it was not going to be pretty.   To keep from getting overly discouraged and wanting to bail, I taped up my monitor and just decided to ride with all I had.

I wanted to stop several times, but pushed through and got the 2 X 15's done.  My wattaged and cadence was 1) 247,85 and 2) 247, 86  96% of FTP but most happy that I was able to hold the 2nd and not crash.

Finished up the remainder with some spin ups and 1 leg drill.

Tired legs ready for todays swim.

• Options
    Well did my bike workout today since it was nice....went well and pushed it up the hills working on the VO2 max. TSS a little high today and close to 500 for the week.....

Duration: 2:02
    Work: 1377 kJ
    TSS: 201.2 (intensity factor 0.999)
    Norm Power: 205
    VI: 1.09
    Pw:HR: n/a
    Pa:HR: n/a
    Distance: 36.548 mi
    Elevation Gain: 1187 ft
    Elevation Loss: 1098 ft
    Grade: 0.0 % (91 ft)
    Min Max Avg
    Power: 0 553 188 watts
    Cadence: 32 246 84 rpm
    Speed: 0 34.7 17.9 mph
    Pace 1:44 0:00 3:22 min/mi
    Hub Torque: 0 37 8 lb-in
    Altitude: 770 1009 909 ft
    Crank Torque: 0 1167 190 lb-in
    Temperature: 42.8 60.8 47.9 Fahrenh
  • Options
    Got my 3 x 15 in a day late. (long story)

Boy, that's no joke, even with the extra day's rest. Only got a minute, so I haven't uploaded the data, but the last one was a couple watts below FTP, and the first a few over.

Kinda nice to be "tapering" a bit here in the next few days!

Wm
  • Options
    Posted By Beverly Richardson on 10 Mar 2011 11:44 AM

I did the Saturday intervals today since I'm doing a 40K TT race this weekend, which I figure is a Threshold workout. Don't have my numbers in front of me, but they were all a little bit short of hitting the mark. 120% for me is 230, and I was around 224-5 for most. #4 was only 220. I must be falling prey to the OS fatigue. However, I'm sure I stimulated a few mitochondria! Looking forward to the transition week coming up! I plan on resting hard!

Beverly - I also have a 40K TT (actually it's 41K) this weekend! Hope yours goes well!  Let us know how it went!

• Options
    @Joe - good luck with yours! I'm really psyched to try out my new EN legs!
  • Options

WEEK 17 Sat Brick:

Tough Brick this morning mentally.  Fitness level is there but focusing every minute in those zones becomes difficult at this stage in the plan.  I was successful hitting all VO2 targets and getting in a total of 38 minutes of Z3 but had to play mind tricks to get through it all.  The run was my best Sat brick run to date but painful.  I hit both the Z2 and Z3 paces making up the deficit on the uphills running sub 6:30s on the downhills. 

Happy Spring Break all!!

BIKE workout (219 watts):

Duration:           1:17:30

TSS:                  100.3 (intensity factor 0.883)

Norm Power:    256

RUN workout (97 bpm):

Duration:                29:05

rTSS:                      46 (0.943)

NGP:                      6:47 (237.1 m/min)

Pace                 0:60     0:00     7:15     min/mi

RUN: connect.garmin.com/activity/72573093

• Options

Outdoor temp -1; -6 with windchill.  Body temp 38 from respiratory virus.  I rode the bike outside anyway. I managed 30 min of work, slightly less than prescribed, then struggled for 15 more to get home.  Skipped the run, but I had to do some bike work today.  

• Options
    HR keeps creeping up on the VO2 intervals week-over-week, but the wattage isn't going up. Still, I felt better during today's bike workout, reflected in a higher Z3 IF than I've been seeing lately. Unfortunately the run didn't turn out so well. I may have to skip tomorrow's run workout till I heal up.
    5 x 2.5 @ 276/274/280/277/276W (target 278), HR 164/166/168/168/169
    32' @ 190W (0.82), cadence 91, HR 162
    Total bike 75', TSS 91.7 (0.854)
    Started the run at Z3 but had to dial way back because my left calf started hurting:
    18.5' @ 7:31 pace (halfway between Z1 and Z2), TSS 23.6
  • Options
    Friday was one of those better-that=predicted weather days, but only warm enough to bike outside for about 2 hours and I missed it. (I had had to shift the Thursday ride to Friday.) So I had that 3 x 15 Friday, and then this today, which...believe me...did not make it easier.

After the fact, I see I can't count, either:

309, 289, 309, 304, 308, 316 (Target 306)

Rounded out with 25 min at about 210. (85% = 216) Haven't felt the 85% that muscularly hard for a while.

Ran for about half an hour outside. Felt good, but the wind was very strong (and cold) so the numbers don't make it look that great. about 7:15 average pace.

A trip out of town for a few days puts me doing the Tuesday bike Tomorrow (in exchange for the Sunday run, because i will be bikeless). That will be rough, I can tell already.
  • Options

So, I had the 41K TT today. Funny story...

With a 15mph tailwind out on a out and back course, I went first. Smokin' along at 30+mph, I saw my HR in mid-Z4 and thought, "okay, this is cool". So, I get to what I thought was the half-way point and I don't see the agreed upon truck with traffic cone. So, I think, I must be off. So, I go about a mile or so and think, "time to turn around, this doesn't look right".

So, I turn around and within about a mile on the way back, I pass the agreed upon truck that magically appeared. Then, I passed all but one that somehow got in front of me.

At the finish line, the guy with the truck who runs this TT says, "that was the fastest anyone has ever gotten to the turn around, sorry I didn't make it there in time". So, I get a free TT next time and 2nd place overall. Oh well, no PR, but boy was that a sweet ride!

Beverly - how was yours?

• Options
    Cool Stuff Joe!

Yesterday's brick was my first one back with the Quarq. Rolled out of the call room at work, grabbed a bagel. 30 min later, I had the Quarq on the bike and was spinning to The Pit with the buddies. Was going to try to 'frame' 3x15's but it's hard to do on this hilly ride. It evolved into a Always Be Pushing Ride with three 15' intervals of Always Be Pushing A Little Harder. Worked out good. Emphasize the word WORK!

57 miles in 2:55
    TSS 284
    IF 1.08
    Pnorm 238 (been using indoor FTP of 220 and an outdoor FTP of 240) Peak60min was 247....What does this tell me? (seriously)
    HRavg 152 and HRmax 180

Then, got a 20' run in with several fartlek type z3 efforts on heavy legs.

just livin' the dream

• Options
    @ Joe - awesome story. Just too bad about the guy with the truck. You should have one the dam thing! Like Coach P says "you get stooopid fast in the OS". Way to bring it!

@ Chris - nice work for sure. I'm lookiing forward to my first ride outside.... saw several solo riders and 2 groups today on my long run. I was in shorts and a T shirt - they were all in fleese and shells with hats and gloves....
  • Options
    Running a day behind, got some sembalnce of Sat's brick done today... 122%, 120%, 119%, 116% & 123%...

Still draggin though.. cut the bike a bit short and only did 15 mintues of the run... hoping for a little more oomph in Sunday's run (doing tomorrow)...
  • Options
    Got the 2x20 done as well as the 3x15....actually it was a 2x15 as I ran out of time. I confess I did not get the V02 stuff done this week. Life go in the way as if often does. I'll be back on the horse for one more week starting tomorrow. This week looks a lot more manageable as far as life goes.
  • Options
    @Joe- Way to go!!! What an awesome way to wrap up the OS.

Rode outside on Sunday afternoon. It was so nice to get outside and remember why I like riding my bke. I wanted to get some saddle time in. 53 miles with an IF of .86. I have definitely jumped up speed wise over the winter. Still going to take some getting use to riding with power outside. I need to learn to even things out a bit. On a good note I was able to stay aero the whole time despite sitting up on the bull horns all winter. Glad spring is here.
  • Options
    @Joe - Congrats - sounds like you were super strong. Too bad about riding the extra miles. Impressive that you still got 2nd though! My race was awesome in that I won Cat 4 womens race! I learned a lot too. I actually had trouble executing the power pacing guidance that Rich laid out. My average for the TT was 10 watts under what I've been using as my indoor FTP. I am also not sore which I think means I didn't go hard enough. I think I need to get the power meter outside (just bought it in December) and learn how to push more consistent watts on the ups/downs of the roads. I also wonder about my bike position. I am super short (5'0"), and I'm not sure how well my bike (48cm Cervelo) is set up for optimal aerodynamics & power. I could have lost those watts from being aero. I'm going to take some video and send to TTBikeFit and start working on optimizing that. Having worked so hard for more fitness over the OS, I don't want to give it away in my bike setup! I'm pretty tired, and I think this week will be taking it easy mostly with Z1/z2 workouts a la Transition mentality except for a final indoor FTP test.
  • Options

@ Joe - Way to represent  - the product of consistent, hard work!  You deserve it!

Week 18 Tues Brick:

The monkey on my back was a big one this morning. Legs still tired from the 90 minute run I did Sunday. Every minute required focus and re-focusing to hit the targets. I got in all 40’ of Z4 but had to do a 4 X 10’(2’) to get it done.

BIKE workout (231 watts):

Duration:          1:16:17

Work:                1057 kJ

TSS:                  98.2 (intensity factor 0.882)

Norm Power:    256

RUN workout (97 bpm):

Duration:               29:09

Work:                     n/a

rTSS:                      46 (0.943)

NGP:                      6:50 (237.1 m/min)

Distance:              3.998 mi

Pace                       0:60     0:00     7:15     min/mi
  • Options
    Shaughn? Elly? you guys still out there?.... Did most of my week 19 tuesday bike... not the run though. Legs still mushy from my PR run Sunday at New Bedford Half Marathon.

Today's bike was also on a new fit - I met with Todd and we found my best position and did what he could to get my current bike as close as possible. New Adamo, different stem new position with -9.5 cm more drop. Was definitly harder to hit the watts - but some of that may be the race not the position.... time will tell.

I needed a longer warmup before I was ready to go hard for the 2x20. Hit the first one but only just barely. the second didn't go well at all. I started to fade around 7 minutes and was all I could do to hang on till 12:30 when I pulled the plug. Finished off with 15' in Z3, sort of....

20' @ 205 (.952)
    12:30 @ 199 (.924)
    15' @ 180 (.832)
    Total bike 78' @ 179 (.832)

By the end of the bike I was totally spent and didnt get the run brick. It's OK - I have a 10 mile tempo run on tap for tomorrow and in 12 days I will be running another half mary - my final prep run before Boston.
  • Options
    Felt flat today on the 2.5s --- I hit the Z5 stuff, but just barely: 1.2, 1.22, 1.21, 1.21, 1.21.

I think the residual fatigue is *really* catching up with me. I will be posting a question in the Power/Pace forum about the bike tests and strategies, so if you all could look for that, I would appreciate it. Coach P's week 19 podcast, plus my trouble hitting the zones these past couple of weeks has me concerned that I won't have a good test.

Hope that is all in my head.

Joe