Home Announcements 🎙

HELP WANTED: EN Gravity Tester

Comments

• Get better soon, Coach! I'm sure this an unwanted rest, but you'll be back at it soon enough!
  • All this time in a bed = more time to dream up evil bike workouts.... image
  • Get better!! And let us know when you are able to get Starbucks again.
  • I have been debating "giving medical advice on the internet" but as a spine surgeon I have not recommended bedrest for a spine fracture in over 15 years.  I realize fractures can be different and I don't know what the imaging studies show.  My experience has been that fractures are either stable in a brace and patients can be ambulated as comfort allows (with the need for follow up xrays) or they are unstable and require surgery.  Not trying to stir up trouble.  I'm just trying to be helpful.  I hope you're feeling better soon.
  • Holy crap Coach! That's some crazy s%*t! Pretty sure that's one reason my wife says no to any kind of two-wheeled motorized vehicle. Rest up and get well soon!
  • Ouch! I am so sorry to hear that, coach! It is a little late to say, be careful, so I'll keep it to myself.
    It is not too late, however, to say - I'm so glad it wasn't worse - recover well - is there anything we could send your way to help with your recovery?
    I suspect the outpouring of support for you here is not surprising - I hope it helps you through the tough parts.
    I do worry about the workouts that will be coming our way...
  • All,

Thanks for the well wishes! Feeling much better and very little pain, or at least well within what I can tolerate without meds, so I'm officially taking myself of them today. NOT digging the side effects and my roommate yesterday was a class in what can happen if you just take everything they give you. Was a junkie, basically. 

Robert, thanks for the note, I'll definitely look into that and get in to see my ortho as soon as possible. 

• Ouch man, sorry to hear. Don't know exactly how it happened, but kind of a reminder / vindication of what I was thinking last weekend as I was with a group bombing some descents around tight corners. It's all fun and games until you are exceeding your comfort limits to try and keep up with the Jone's and make one mistake, or hit that one loose patch. As I was thinking about it, I kept thinking 'why?', why potentially wreck myself in training when there's no medals or podiums for whoever makes it back to the starbucks parking lot first.

Not to suggest that's what happened to you, but anytime far more experienced riders than myself go down I kind of use it as a reminder to take it easy out there. Best of luck in your recovery Coach Rich!
  • Hope the healing continues to go well and it seems like it's in the right direction as far as you not being on pain meds anymore. I think the only thing you may have missed from 10-6 on Saturday was some meteorite stuff falling from space and hitting some guy in Russia. You weren't dirtbiking in Russia, were you? Maybe your crash was caused by that...Heal up and next time try to stick the landing!!
  • ULP! I HATE this. You're giving me flashbacks, man. Here's hoping you have no neurological (brain + spinal cord) damage, as that stuff is much worse than any cracked vertebral body.

You know my heart's with you, and don't do anything stoopid on the long road back.

www.flickr.com/photos/mastercontrol200/5818861123/lightbox/

• I have 100% good functionality. To numbness, tingling, anything. A sore back is about all, though my left leg hurts a bit from the impact.

What's driving me nuts is the apparent game of telephone between talking to several docs spread across several shifts, verbal discriptions of things, etc. I want to get out of here with a written assessment and then have a local doc take over my case.

Frustrating...

• Rich - I wish you well in your recovery! I had my last big crash and near death experience Mountain Biking in 1999 and I made a deal with my wife that if I recovered and got heathly, I would never, ever, do stuff like that again. Hope you don't have to make a deal like that!
  • Rock bottom!! That sucks Coach Rich. Sorry about your bad luck.
    I'm killing these get faster workouts. Just for you!!!
    Get better soon!
  • Feel better coach! time for some well needed recovery
  • BLAH...that stinks!  Nothing worse than being stuck in a hospital with people you don't know!!  You're young and in good shape, that should help in the recovery process..be smart, take it easy and drink coffee and eat chocolate..I hear caffine helps a bit with any discomfort!
  • Rich - so sorry to hear about your crash.  Hang in there, get well fast and I hope to see you in Madison later this year.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
  • So sorry to hear. Get well!
  • wow Coach!! So glad it wasn't much worse...wishing you a speedy recovery! FYI - that's two years with the team now for me and you in a cast twice! just sayin'
  • Sorry to hear Rich - heal quickly.
  • That sucks Rich. Glad to hear you are already on the way back. Get better soon
  • Was this you?!

I hope you have a speedy recovery!

• Sorry to hear about the crash but very glad to hear you are feeling relatively okay. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.
  • Sorry to hear about the crash coach. Relax, try not to go stir crazy on bed rest, and go easy on yourself. I have to use this though as a cautionary tale though, in my anti-motorbike campaign at home, may not get me spousal approval units, but given my hubby's propensity for speed, it will help me keep him in one piece for a little longer. Enough about that though. YOU. TAKE. CARE. We are all sending healing vibes.
  • Sweet baby Jesus, I go offline for a few days.....So glad you are 'Ok', really sorry about the crash.  Rest up and heal fast! BTW...weren't we talking at IMAZ about not riding crazy off-road rides?!? 

• @Al - "no neurological (brain + spinal cord) damage" .. You know that stuff was already there. It would be hard to tell the new damage from the old ;-)

Dang Rich. I was looking forward to you kicking my butt at CDA. Oh well. So, this will be Rich 3.0 or 4.0?
  • Holy hell Coach R! That so sucks. I hope you heal fast. Once you are healed, I hope Joanne(sp?) kicks your stupid boy ass Poor girl!

• Terrible title to this thread!

Just getting the news. Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery.

Take the advice above from Dr. Robert Sabo and get a second opinion on your back! Don't want to be crippled for life.
  • sorry to hear Rich...
    I think you have crossed the line....the line where it is easier to tell people which bones you haven't broken versus the ones you have....

heal up!!

• Posted By Robert Sabo on 19 Feb 2013 07:29 AM

I have been debating "giving medical advice on the internet" but as a spine surgeon I have not recommended bedrest for a spine fracture in over 15 years.  I realize fractures can be different and I don't know what the imaging studies show.  My experience has been that fractures are either stable in a brace and patients can be ambulated as comfort allows (with the need for follow up xrays) or they are unstable and require surgery.  Not trying to stir up trouble.  I'm just trying to be helpful.  I hope you're feeling better soon.

Robert, I have been following the doctors orders of bedrest, with a followup scheduled with a local spine surgeon for March 6th. What are the long term implications of continued bedrest? I have little to mild discomfort. No "need" to take painkillers, iow. My cell is 626-203-3278 if that's better for you. Thanks.

• Wow, sorry to hear about this Rich. Take care of yourself.