Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Texas

IMTexas, 4-10 March WKO Thread

Comments

• Thanks so much for posting the IMTX run video. Got my butt kicked in the pool and again on the bike by two different 65+ crusty
    old guys! Life is good.
  • Getting ready to head to the cave.
    @Joe. Dry needling is a technique used to treat muscular trigger points. You insert a thin filament needle into the trigger point and elicit a twitch response. This essentially causes the trigger to release and the muscle to relax. Hurts but effective.
  • @John ..OUCH!....

@ Sarah....I can only hope to be that crusty @ 65 yo

6miles on the TM...1.5 warmup with 4x30' strides...then 800,1600,1600,800 @ 6:51 pace with 2:00-3:00 jogging quarter in between...+ cooldown @ 7:30...I'm diggin lunch runs.

• Got 2 out of 3 intervals in before I had to put my dad hat back on. 20 and 10 in 0.98 and 0.97. Total of a hour. Weather is hating on everything around here, including the pool. Going to have to see if I can squeeze a swim in tomorrow.

Keep on it everyone!
  • Fighting the flu at our house. But, (no pun intended) I'll get on the trainer and try to get todays ride in the books. Due to the non-stop rain here in the Great Pacific NW I did get one ride in outside last Sunday. The weatherman said no rain......well, it wasn't all rain due to the HAIL mixed in with it. From the sounds on the road I thought I had something wrong with my rims. That scraping sound was the tires running over the hail on the road.
  • @Jay....somehow you should earn extra points or fitness for those kinda workouts!...take care!  and keep on workin'.

• I love the diversity of torture available on TrainerRoad....This mornings elegant session was called Winchell...90 min. of Threshold and VO2 work....187NP avg/.89 IF......the evil VO2 sets at the end made me think of throwing up donuts.....Bwahahahahahah

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/244929

Thank God nothing else today ...

...Just workin' for the weekend

• @Joe.... Hey I like that Winchell... gonnna have to put that on my list... so many in TR I wanna do....

Here's my V02 work of the day , done as Clouds Rest + , I gotta say 30/30's at 125% are easier than 180/180's @ 115% at least for me.... This was my last week of big V02 work and I'm gonna throttle way back on the V02 amount and replace it with more FTP.
    http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/245017

Thinking about doing tomorrow run tonight so I can make friday a swim only day in prep for a longbike saturday , silly me scheduled a indoor TT on Sunday , thats gonna hurt !
  • frustrating day...work is nuts so I can't do my 105min run today...will be just 60 mins on the dreadmill. Question: do I do that high intensity or intervals?
  • @Dwight. I would probably just do warm up and main set as written.
  • @Dwight....ditto to what John said....and don't stress it.

@Tim...not sure how many folks got the Winchells donuts reference...Maybe in NH ist DD or Bess Eaton...Anyway Winchell is cool becuase each set is progressive...so your working at 95-100-105% of FTP for the longer intervals...and 125-135% on the VO2...

Hey the Sufferfest BLENDER looks cool too!....there are alot of video sets now...almost starting to enjoy the trainer.

• @Joe, Yep TR has made the Drainer almost fun.... actually is for an hour LOL...I have not done any of the video's yet.... Been watching my girlfriend do the TR structured plans, she has completed the Intermediate Base 1 and 2 and is now on the Intermediate Build 2 , 16 weeks so far , they test her using a 2 x 8 test , taking the average of those 2 , and multiplying by 90% to estimate the FTP... Very cool workouts and something different everyday. Half the time I'm jealous I wanna do them.... She has gone from 152 - 172 FTP over 16 weeks and 4 tests . Loving TR.
  • School cancelation but not work cancelation equals my son coming to work with me today and no long run. I did get 40 minutes / 5 miles in on the treadmill. Will look to get the long run in tomorrow. Also looking to get back into the pool at some point, may have to bump the Saturday morning run to get wet.
  • @Joe and @Joseph-- thanks for the input. Rocked the Main Set and pushed it a little bit harder than Rx'd. Felt good and thanks again for the encouragement.
  • 19 miles at 7:49 pace with average HR 144. Was shooting for 7:46 but considering the hills and wind along this course I''' take it.
  • Oooh....if ya can't stand the heat don't mess with the Kitchen!...Nice Run John!

Way to go Dwight!

• V02 Run work this afternoon , 7 miles on the TM , w/ 10 x .25 various paces starting at 6:40 moving down to 6:11 and back to 6:27 ..... I usually do this one on friday am , much harder in the afternoon after a morning bike. Duh! Swim on day tomorrow... See if that makes Saturdays longbike any "easier"

Heads up for those with Garminconnect Ant download. They did a shutdown maintenance sometime today and it defaulted my antstick device to disabled and no download until I went in and enabled it!
  • Still plugging away adding volume. Feeling a little tired but good.

I've been using the swim metronome a couple times also. Instead of spm I have it set to beep every 25 seconds, which is a 1:40/100. I've been doing some sets as 200 on 3:45 so I hit the wall every 25 seconds and then after 200 yds I get a 25 second break. It's been great to practice pacing. Did 3000 yards today and hit all the times.

Running is very hit and miss. Long runs up to 16 miles at a good pace. Next couple of runs typically sluggish and then I'll have one really fast day. Take what I can I guess!

With bike, the first ride of the week is usually strong, then the long riders good and consistent. Up to 4 hours. Last ride of week is always dreadful.

Still having fun though!
  • I'm really liking running only three days per week. Fridays are an off day for me because no swim and not a run day. Legs will need it to get ready for Saturday and Sunday
  • Good swim this morning, 2200 total on a mix of 200s, 300s, and a 400, averaging 1:43. Long run this afternoon.

TGIF everyone! Good work this week.
  • Freekin Snow here....depressing...it was supposed to snow two days ago..not today...tommorrow is supposed to be in the 50's ..go figure...

Anyway; decent swimming continues improve....2400 as 1200 warmup slowish start...ease into pace(1:56)...then 4x100(20')/2x200(30')/4/50(15') all around 1:47-1:51...200 cooldown 1:55....it is starting to feel a.) better b.) easier....and when my cooldown easy pace is better than my warmup easy pace...I'm pleased.

Easy run at lunch...big weekend hopefully

• @Joseph-- Feel for you guys in the NE with all the weather! After cold and rain for three weeks, we finally got a break here in ATL...going to be 67 tomorrow. Really looking forward to a ride where I'm not bundled up like the Michelin man.

In other news, I had to punch a new hole in my belt this morning. Good times.
  • Yep sick of freaking winter in NH again!

2800yds swim this am , MS 10 x 200 @ 2:55 (saw quite a few 2:53's and a couple 2:57's) on 1:05 rest , I do believe that to be my best set of 200's ever , Not sure I would call it V02 but pretty close to that , lots of rest inbetween sets enabled me to hold that pace. I then did 2 x200 with the wetronome set at 65 BPM at 3:05 . With the wetronome I can tell I am taking the same amount of time per stroke(making sure they are even) but I think the damn thing is slowing me down! Will keep playing with it.
  • @Tim...Awesome set!....btw...I think the Wetronome is supposed to slow you down...sort off...

@Dwight...new belt hole...now that is real measurable progress!

• Good thing today is a rest day. Have been up since 2:30. Ugh
  • ugh thats not restful John...hope all is okay.

5 easy on the TM at lunch...with 8x30 strides....

cuttin' outta work early!

• Long run done a day late. Took it to the track to pamper my legs and to miss rush hour outbound traffic on base. A total of 13.6 in 1:40 with 3.5 miles at Z2 and 2.5 miles at Z3. Time to refuel and rest up for the weekend's work. Hoping to get outside, cross your fingers.

@Dwight, x2 on the great news. Maybe a trip to the clothing store is upcoming?
  • Whooooeeeee...had to start out a little earlier than perfect....and temps were still in the low-mid 30's but the sun was out and it warmed up to 50 by the time I was done....steady breeze (head&cross) again on the way out (tail/cross on the way back a little swing to headwind at the final 10miles)...but very happy to be outside...about 1,600 ft. of elevation gain so not totally  fla...Overall: 68miles/3:37/~19mph avg./ 174NP/.83IF/134 avg. HR

Tommorrow swim & long run...will be interesting...another nice day on tap!

• Nice work Joe..... Still to cold for me.... Plus its a slopfest up here in NH while the last snowstorm is melting.

Had a good 4:20 trainer ride today.... TSS 246 , NP 174 , IF .75.

Tomorrow indoor TT yeah that should be fun, and then to try and run later in the day.....