Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Texas

IMTX March 11th -17th WKO Thread

Comments

• Conquered the bike ride this afternoon. 10m @ Z4, 15m @ Z4, 20m @ Z4

After feeling like crap yesterday it was a relief this felt so much easier today. Amazing what sleeping in can do

Now I wish I could get my Garmin 310XT to upload the stupid data...

@Roy: Have fun on the bike! Crush it!

Update: Just noticed that every single activity on the watch has a date of today...boy, I think I should feel exhausted with all this exercise. 

• @Ryan ...Great work!...(today)...and it is amazing how much good sleep helps...

@ Roy...Hope everyone is okay!.

• So after a morning in the ER with the wife (mild flu), we spent the evening in the same ER with my son (busted lip, ended up not getting stitches, but it was a judgement call after multiple consults). So the evening workout got bagged and I rolled with the FTP bike this morning. 1st time the tri-bike has been on the trainer and there is a difference. RPE was through the roof. But got 1x20 and 2x10 done, all on 0.95.

Going to try to get a shorter run in today and a swim after work. With the weather turning bad on us here in NOVA the next few days, long run and big-tri day wkos are going to be a day-by-day call, with a high probability of indoor/trainer work for the big-tri day. However it happens, it'll work.

Good luck everyone!
  • Roy... Nice job taking care of the family.... I hope they are all OK... Sounds like your doing what you can , and that is all you can do.... You got your priorities right.
  • @Roy. Sorry to hear about family. Hope everybody is okay and on the mend.
  • @Roy-- same here...take care of your family.

Just got back from a two day biz trip to Denver that derailed this week. Going to swim at lunch; bike tonight. Long run in the morning (90 min) and swim again at lunch. Big Weekend coming up!
  • Hey Dwight ...I feel your pain...a day/night in NYC on business threw a monkey wrench into my week and the associated disruption of schedule (along with the work)  has me feeling a bit tired.......2550yds completed this morning as  2000 straight warmup/4x100(20')steady /4x50's Hard(20')

...I may run at lunch...just Z1/Z2 with strides  for volume/frequency....or today may be a swim only day. (as I do my long run on Sunday)

• I'm feeling pretty good, seem to be adapting very well to the training. Yesterday afternoon after lunch , got really tired, layed down and 30 minutes disappeared. That hasnt happened since I worked shift work. So probably a little sign , starting to get tired..... Starting >>> LOL .... yeah right!

Hope all is going well , everyone staying the course , stay focussed!

Today's bike was the 1st week of the next 3 that I am pulling back on my V02 work and introducing more FTP.

8min V02 as 8 x 1 , 20 min FTP as 2 x 10 , finish up with 20min endurance

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/254639

Not doing the Big Training Day as written , but will continue to add to my longbike , longrun this weekend....Easy day friday then, 4:30 on bike and 110min run planned for sat/sun
  • @Joseph-- I feel you man...this whole "work" thing is really putting a crimp in my training plan lol. Nice work...heading to the pool now...
  • 4 easy trail miles done in 37:30. Wanted to be nice to the legs today with some soft surface.

Thanks for the well wishes. The fam seems to be doing ok today. Wife is still down but the son is going at it at school. It was a fun day, to say the least.
  • Good to hear Roy. Had an awesome swim at lunch. I finally got approved for EN on Trainer Road so I'm looking forward to my first "official" EN workout tonight!
  • @Roy...ditto...dood....Amazing how a nice dialed-back lunchtime run can make you feel!....5miles on the TM playing around with speed and incline ...focused form...nothing more intense than Z1-Z2 paces....now a good night sleep...and away we go!

• Big Tri day done. Only made one modification. Ran only a 10k instead of an hour. Wanted to save something for the 1/2 Mary on Saturday
    Results
    Swim: 4000m 54:13
    Bike: 4 hours at 199 power. This included a 20 minute warm up and warm down.
    Run: 10K @ 7:15 pace.
    Overall felt pretty good. Legs felt solid on the run and had to slow self down because of race this weekend. Do have to work on some nutritional issues.
    Despite the shorter run, i'm pretty pleased with how everything went.
  • JK....Looking Strong!
  • @John, nice work! 4K swim in under a hour? That's awesome!

I'm just getting back my form with the stroke (still dragging the legs for the most part). Finally warm and sunny here in Cedar Rapids, so I'm definitely going to enjoy the running.

• Trainer Road Question:

Finally got in the EN group; downloaded the new version. How do I find todays workout:

MS: 10' (4') @ 95-100%/Zone4/Hard. 15' (4') @ 95-100%/Zone4/Hard. 20' (4') @ 95-100%/Zone4/Hard.
  • @Dwight...when you launch TrainerRoad on your computer (not the TrainerRoad website)....you should find all the EN workouts listed in the Workouts sections (they are not on the TrainerRoad webite Workouts section).....they are listed as either OSADV (advanced plan) OSINT (intermediate) or OSBEG (beginner plan)....and by week and work....so you would find OSADV WK 12 2x20 +1x15  ...which is the OS Advanced plan Week 12 workout of 2x20min + 1x 15min.....

Hope this helps!

• Going to enjoy the rest day. Tomorrow Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon
  • I have a swim question. I have been in a masters swim program and letting the sessions, which are geared toward distance tri swimmers, do the thinking for me. Sadly, I'm now on my own. I'm sticking to their workouts, which are very similar to EN, but have added some distance sets in preparation for long days. My Garmin indicates some big spikes in speed followed by a crash. Then I get a more normal graph. I'm not feeling this power spike/crash while swimming. Is this bad? Is this just an issue of not being able to monitor output and adjust as we do when biking or running?
  • JK enjoy the day and wishing you good skill tomorrow.

Sarah, Not sure which Garmin your using but the only one I think that measure accurately enough is the 910xt, I only have the 310xt and isnt worth swimming with... It sounds more like an error in the Garmin than your pacing . What kind of spike are you talking about? Have you done 1000yd TT tests to come up with your t-pace for comparison?
  • Good Morning....2500yds this morning with a slightly different approach thanks to TCronk and watching the Tower26 videos....so more work this morning wearing fins & buoy ...alternated with some harder ...much higher cadence sets....had my wetronome set up to 70-75...I normally have it down at 56-58...interesting workout...more work to do....but I am definitely going to get anklebands and give those a tri.(400 mixed bag warmup/3x200's with buoy & fins/5x100's no buoy or fins 80-90%/1x300 with buoy & fins/3x100 & 3x50 no gear hard/200 steady cooldown.)

@ Sarah....I would go more with how I feel rather than the Garmin inter-set numbers.....I might think about 'steady & smooth' during my sets...but I wouldn't worry about the ebbs & flows you see....I think your using the Garmin Swim...which I also use and see similar action.

...feeling much better and will run a bit at lunch......trying to decide whether to switch my Saturday(Long Bike) - Sunday(Long Run) workouts as it is suppsed to be wettysnowy tommorrow and nice on Sunday....I can handle either running 90min outside in yuck or on the TM better than I will enjoy 3-4hr on the Trainer tommorrow...........Thougths? Votes?

• Hard to say. Typically, we'll notice big changes in speed. May just be a Garmin issue. Don't know that I would really worry about it
  • @ Joe. Switch. Did 4 hour trainer ride yesterday and it was not fun.
  • @Joe glad you liked the Tower 26 stuff... NO vote for me... still too cold... Trainer 4:30 for me tomorrow and 110min run on Sunday...

Today pretty hard swim. 500yd in 8:05 , 20 x 100yd avg 1:27 with 33 sec rest , 500yd in 7:39 , cool down , 3300yds total , REST for the weekend......
  • asked this in micro thread but would love the take here. Tomorrow is Big Day for the INT plan folks (me). I have an Olympic next week, though, and I'm wondering if I should modify my plan because next week is sorta a big day. Distances are shorter, of course, but more intense.

Thoughts?
  • @Dwight....IMO ...the big day is more important than the Oly...execute on the big day...and I don't think it will impact your Oly...because as you stated...intensity on the big day is much lower and your taking sunday off...so the ease back is built in.....in this case...the Intensity of the Oly doesn't substitute for the experience & learnings of the big day....

• @Jospeh-- thanks and that was my thinking too. Looking forward to tomorrow and having St. Pats off on Sunday!
  • Thanks folks, it is a Garmin 910xt. It might have been a Garmin issue, because the spikes happened the first time I used it inside. I looked at outside swim info and saw no massive spikes on similar swims. I will do my 1000 again next week, after the big day. Good luck on Saturday! I am in total awe of folks doing long rides on trainers!
  • Did an easy/steady Z1-Z2 4 miles over lunch....Low priority but felt good and it breaks up my day at work!...Have a great weekend all....I am definitely swapping my workouts!