Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Texas

IMTX April 8-14

Comments

• Hey all...super ride last evening...1hr @ 200NP/.94 IF/21mph/148hr....feeling very comfortable on the bike.......

Long Run on deck for tonite....

Keep it rollin' everyone! 

• Long run done. 88 degrees plus hilly course equals suckfest. Need more fluids. 17 miles in 2 hr 11 min
  • My goal was a run of around 2hrs z1-z2..I tend to do most of mine as progressive (out easy - return at pace- cooldown)....it was a little chilly and a swirling breeze...but still shorts and tri top weather...out ez 7 miles @ 8min avg....(8:20,8:03,7:53,8:05,7:50,8:06,8:15)...return @ 7:22 avg. (7:40,7:13,7:33,7:13,7:15,7:31,7:23)...14/1:48/7:44...another mile cooldown with Kona...off the clock...10sec/mile better avg. than last weeks run (but it was a tad warmer last week too)...anyway feelin better than I should..yea haw...gimme a beer.

• 3200...womped out....(200wup/600 pulll with bands/6x100's/600 pull with bands/4x150/300 pull with bands/300 steady...) had to cut the last segment short as I started late and the late morning Masters group wanted the lane)...

..tired this morning....I really don't like Thursday evening long runs ....after years of Sunday morning Long Runs...but the realy issue is I don't like finishing up a run workout at 7:30 or 8pm then trying to eat, sleep, before getting up and swimming......Oh well I guess its only 6 weeks...and it really is only a problem when it gets out past 90 min. of running........okay I'm done whining for the day...

• Good morning texas peeps. Looks like Joe and I are the only ones working out. Everybody was pretty quite yesterday. Hope eveyone's training is going well. Starting Saturday its 5 more weeks. Yesterday's long run was brought to you by heart rate. Used heart rate to guide pace. Was pretty interesting trying to maintain a certain HR over the course of the run. Looking forward to my first IM RR tomorrow
  • Hey guys I'm still here... Had a day off and travel yesterday.... but today I'm back at it ...

Today's swim with my new toy.... http://connect.garmin.com/activity/296751911 8 x 500yds and then a 200 CD

@Joe... really liking those bands huh?.. I plan to keep using mine once a week for some 50's vo2 style.... but not too many while concentrating on farther now...

@JK I havent had much luck trying to use HR. I use a HR monitor while training but rarely use it while racing and have completely stopped looking at it either way. Just like the data for later... I have just found RPE is going to dictate your run no matter what your pace is and no matter what your HR is.... Last year I ran the Boston Marathon with my HR on (never looked until after) in the 90 degree heat and averaged 168HR for 3:36 which is 4 below my LTHR of 172 , had I known I may have slowed down ??? The other extreme of my experience was wearing HR at IMFL and when I got on the run I was looking at it , and after around the halfway point of the marathon I was trying to push my HR up above 140 and it just wouldnt go(that was my only IM with HR data and it was glued at 140 for the bike and the run) , I never had a problem in training pushing it higher but in the last hour or two of the IM marathon things are different and your body is responding completely different via HR than it did during training. I know a lot of people still like to use it and Coach P has had great luck applying it.
  • IMTX athlete guide just came out!
  • I'm working! I just switched my plan a bit, so that I could run the Flying Pirate HM this weekend and take advantage of mid week heat on the breezy OBX. My dress rehearsal on Wednesday, was a major reality check. This was one of the few days, durring this journey that left me hurting. I finished, but I now appreciate how vigelant i need to be with nutrition and hydration in the heat. image
  • @Sarah, good luck at Flying Pirate this weekend. If you'd like, throw up a thread about your race rehearsal so that we can all learn about how you planned and how you executed. I'm sure there are lessons there for everyone.

Like John, I hit the long run yesterday in the heat (from 2:30 to 4:30). Unlike him, I didn't pace as quickly. I ended up with with 14.2 in 2 hours flat with 3 walking intervals for gel intake. My legs were pretty tired going into it so I knew that HM intervals were not going to happen. So I decided to go with a constant pace somewhere around 8:30's. I ended up around 8:20-ish for most miles with the exception of one mile with a hill. Ok with the outcome, but know that the heat will be a factor to pacing in Texas.

Today, I hit the pool with 4250 in a single set. I came in at 1:16:52 which is a pool best for me. Total average of 1:48 pacing. I hit lap every 500 meters:
    1st - 8:34
    2nd - 8:41
    3rd - 8:48
    4th - 9:03
    5th - 9:20
    6th - 9:15
    7th - 9:16
    8th - 9:21
    Last 250 - 4:30

Will do race distance one more time (before RR2). Trying to bump up the volume overall.

Good luck with the RR this weekend! Keep good notes and let us know lessons learned.
  • Well looks like I'll be able to experience an IM mass swim start. That should've fun
  • Hotel reservations: check
    Airline tickets: check
    Bike transport reservation: check
    Level of excitement: building
  • @Joe/Tim, Thanks for the encouraging words and sage advice last week. Definitely helps to have the support when I start to get paranoid about my training.

Cut my run short this morning because of peroneal tendonitis in my right foot. Had this problem in my left foot a while ago and it seemed to go away with stretching and icing. How far out would I be able to push my RR? I'm looking to travel up to Louisville this month and do the IM course there with the IAmTri group. I'm thinking the 27th of April is too close to race day.

• @Ryan 4/27 is 3 weeks from IMTX , that is the weekend scheduled for the last RR in the 20 week Advanced IM plan . Sounds perfect to me.
  • @Ryan. I'm no expert as this is my first IM but that would only give you one RR. The purpose of the one this weekend is to figure out problems and correct by RR 2

• Posted By tim cronk on 12 Apr 2013 07:05 PM

@Ryan 4/27 is 3 weeks from IMTX , that is the weekend scheduled for the last RR in the 20 week Advanced IM plan . Sounds perfect to me.

Interestingly;  The Intermediate Plan has the Final RR in Week 18....so because i backed up my first Big Day..(and due to scheduling issues)...I'm doing my first RR next weekend...and my final RR in Week 18..

.So Two things Ryan- 1.) I agree with JK...2 RR's is better....one to work the kinks...and a second to Nail Everything down... 2.)...even if you can't do it this week...you still have time for 2 RR's...

• Hey I'm really having a brain freeze this morning....Answer me this....If the plan calls for 1 hr @ Z3...& I go out and ride an hour and my AVG. Power is mid-high Zone 2..and my AVG NPower is middle Zone 3.....did I do what the plan asked? Is the power target in the plan average power or pnorm for the ride?  Do not ask me why....after a year of training in the Haus...I have this question....maybe not enough coffee.

Anyway; this morning I took it out for 3hrs. kinda ABP (because I didn't have enough time available today to do my normal Saturday 3.5-4.5hr ride- will do that tommorrow)....3hrs.(2:59)/56miles/19mph/NP168/.80IF/avg.HR127.......

Good luck to all of you doing your RR's today!

• @ryan. My RR today is why we have 2. Huge failure nothing went right but now have five weeks to correct.
  • @Ryan X3 on what JK and JL said about 2 RR's , I completely missed that part and thought the question was just about 4/27 being too close.... Anyway 2 is better than 1 for the reasons already stated . Healing that foot is priority number 1. Good luck!

Today's efforts... another 5hr trainer ride w/ 3 x 30 @ .80 and 6 x 25 @ .75 and above , followed it up with a 7 mile brick run , was in the 30's here in NH this am keeping me from going outside yet again, in fact we had about a half inch of frozen precip last night, was about 50 when I did my run at 2PM ..... Freaking miss Tucson already!!!
    http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/291754
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/297337140#
  • Your a Freakin Monster Tim!....you would crush it for sure if they decided to hold it indoors

• @Joe/John, definitely in agreement about doing a second RR. I did one before IMLOU and I'm pretty sure I could have benefited from doing another one. I'm putting a ~60-mile route together tomorrow; planning on doing two loops.

@John, did you do your ride indoors or outdoors? Bike/Run/Swim?

@Tim, Working on healing the foot. Already beginning to feel a bit better with naproxen.

What's the word on getting a captain for IMTX? I saw Brenda post something about needing a volunteer. I'll be done in the Austin area byt that time hopefully.

• @John...saw your post in the forums....FYI...I use and absolutely recommend the Speedfil A2 ...one back up bottle for rotation...and then just keep filling up the top from on-course Perform....

• @Joe, ironic you bring that up because I just started searching for a third water bottle holder. I've got two in the back which sustains me for shorter rides and I've been looking for one in the front so I don't have to keep reaching behind.

How long does the A2 last you normally? What do you fill it with?

• Ryan...the Speedfil system is really the proprietary bottle capping systme...no-spill, refillable, straw system.....I fill it up with Perform...then I keep one bottle ...and an open rack....at each aid station I take 2 bottles of perform...stick one in the rack...and one I use to refill the A2...the one in the rack I will use to refill the A2 if I run out before the next aid station (on hot days...I need 2 bottles/hr)...Works like a charm.

• RR1 done.  Relatively happy.

Here's the story.

• @John, I just read your RR report and I'm pretty sure IMTX is not as hilly as your 5x loop course!  What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Is everyone wearing EN clothing on race day?

• Good morning Texas peeps. Now that yesterday is behind me it's time to get back to training. Heading over to pool for morning swim. Hopefully squeeze in ride this afternoon
  • RR #1 done. Everything went on target. Unfortunately Garmin 910 file corruption issues, so having to work on recovering the file so I can see if my perception matches reality. Also new lesson learned, do not try and run the course when they are having an art fair on the Woodlands waterway. Had to run the trails around the waterway so my one hour run turning into about 70 minutes due to the extra distance.

Roads were good and traffic was pretty light. The course still has its two bad spots. Osbourne road through the park has some pot holes and cracks so you need to watch it when your speed picks up. 1486 is still real rough where they put down that layer of aggregate on top of the road bed. I had to come out of the aerobars to rest my shoulders a couple of times due to the road vibration. You need to stay off the shoulder and try to ride in the groove that the cars have worn into the road. Also at the curve at Jorges they are storing gravel for road work, so you needed to be careful where the trucks had dropped loose gravel on the road.

• Wrapped up this week with a 2hr run today..... for the week 9300yds in the pool , only one bike 5hrs , and an all time high of 48.5 miles running... only need 1.5 more miles for 50 but ya know what??? it aint gonna happen...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/297849723#

another week starts tomorrow and the clock keeps spinning faster the closer we get
  • Back frim the Kohala coast. 381 miles for the week. .7+. Feel good. Couple more weeks of volume and the other stuff and we are there.