Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Yvette Metz - Micro

Comments

• Options
    Ok, thanks for the bump on that...forgot about the mileage. IIRC, that was because we were pushing limits a bit, and now I think you are a bit more savvy. But regardless, here you go!

Weeks Mondays Weekly Miles     Long Run
    1 1/8/2018             28 8
    2 1/15/2018 31 9
    3 1/22/2018 29 11
    4 1/29/2018 32 10
    5 2/5/2018 31 12
    6 2/12/2018 35 14
    7 2/19/2018 34  16
    8 2/26/2018 38 14  
    9 3/5/2018 40 16  
    10 3/12/2018 38 18
    11 3/19/2018 40 16
    12 3/26/2018 36 14
    13 4/2/2018 26 8
    14 4/9/2018 13 5
    15 4/16/2018 n/a

• Options
       @PatrickMcCrann  Thank you very much! This is a FYI...
    I put everything in Training Peaks.  The long run is 14 miles and 3 weeks from the marathon. I will see how it goes this time .  Defiantly have more time to prepare compared to the marathon from last spring. 
    I am going to sign up for Zwift  and trying to learn it now.  Have a good one! 

• Options
    @Yvette Metz Good luck with the Zwift...so much goodness in there. You are going to love just riding around and exploring...and it makes you super fit too!!!
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2018 10:03PM
    @PatrickMcCrann Hi Coach, was wondering if I should have loaded the marathon plan instead of the Bike focus OS ! Marathon is april 23. I want to qualify for Boston at Glass City Marathon. My time would need to be 4:25:00. Can you help me? 
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2018 10:40PM
    @Yvette Metz -  we talked about using the OutSeason® training program but simply modifying the long runs to match what you were done in the past. That’s why we have the table above of the listed long run duration modifications.

We could put you into the Marathon program and ignore the outseason, which would get you ready for the marathon but will undermine the remainder of your triathlon season fitness. You have so many events on the schedule it’s hard for me to tell which is the most important to you versus the one that is “next.“

Why don’t you review the long run modification that we set forth ^above^ and if that’s not sufficient we can talk about using the Marathon plan!
  • Options
    Ok, thanks! 
  • Options
    @Yvette Metz So you are OK with a modified OutSeason® by using the long runs in the table?
  • Options
    @PatrickMcCrann Hi Coach!  Thank you , yes it is ok.   I have been lifting weights 3 days a week and working on body comp and only lost two pounds. So, Sorry, just a small panic about my training. Today I discovered that I have lost 8.7 % body fat.  So panic is over.  
    Major question:  In my season plan you said to load up the OS (Run Focus) Plan, L1 run + L2 Bike WKOS, to end on 4/15/2018.    That is what I did.  I come up short one week on the calendar for the marathon. Take a look in my Training Peaks/ you have my password.   What should I do ?   change the date to end on 4/22/2018  and repeat a week. 
    Question:  How many weeks before the marathon should I stop lifting weights? 
    OS plan needs corrections: 
    Also on the following weeks of OS I think the workout is missing something.
    Week 10 Thursday bike/  it is not there.  is that correct?
    Week 14 Thursday / there is only a misc note, no workout. Is that correct? 
    Thanks, Yvette
  • Options
    @Yvette Metz -- Don't panic. Repeat after me:  I AM AN IRONMAN. You can do anything...it's just a matter of syncing your current fitness with expectations. Glad to hear that strength work is paying off!!!!

I hit you plan and you are all set...just a taper week with a bit of stuff....

As for the plan edits...
    • Week 10 of the Run Focused OutSeason Plan only has a run (no bike). 
    • Both of the Core Only days at the end of the OutSeason Plan is part of the taper for a long run on that weekend / run test. If you aren't testing you could work in some biking...think 1 hour steady!
    ~ Coach P
  • Options
    @PatrickMcCrann ...Coach P, 
      Wow, you are amazing!  Thank you, Thank you!  
    Question:  How many weeks before the marathon should I stop lifting weights? 
  • Options
    Two weeks out is your last session. So monday the 1st before Sunday the 14th race, for example.

And no worries, SO HAPPY to help you out!!!!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2018 5:18PM
    Thanks Coach! This is my 3rd attempt at a micro note to you, and I have answered my own questions!  What do you know? never to late to teach a young blood! 

Well I think I have begun to dig my self into a rabbit hole and need to get out. Here is what I did. 

Took a step back and started to compare last March year to this year.  What I needed was rest on the correct days.  It will be helpful if I can teach myself how to read the Training Peaks Maintenance Chart for all workouts.  Your Data 101 was helpful, but I need more direction on how to us /interpret the info.  Maybe, I need to hire someone to teach me?  Know anyone? 

I did my bike test today and failed it!
    Defiantly, a good idea to take a rest before the test and listen to your body. (Oh, did I just type that)  That's one thing I am not good at, my inner spirit says rest but my stubborn side always prevails. I'm training with my friends and watching how fast they are, building to race Glass City Marathon and qualify for Boston. My time to qualify would be 4:20, with my vdot at 29 this test I am not there yet, but can try!  I need to stay focused on my OS plan. 

Saturday, I did a 3 hour bike ride,Sunday 16 mile hilly run,Monday I swam for 1 hour then lifted weights 1.5 hours. I told my weight trainer go easy on me I had a bike test the next day....he said you will have no problem! Me: OK, I can do it! I should have listen to my inner spirits on Monday and taken the day off,  but no I had to keep pushing right into the rabbit hole. Needless to say my bike test was not good. Couldn't hit half the power that was required....  my Zwift report said FAILED! Ha Ha Ha, no I didn't. I just found three things not to do before a test! Now I just need to remember the lesson for my next test day!   

On the bright side, my run test went well.  As you know, this winter Nov. to Jan. took a rest from Tri training and worked on body comp and Lifting weights 3 days a week and 2 days an aerobic class that focuses on small twitch muscles.  

2018 March Run test: VDot 29, Ave pace 10:09, HR 159.  Lost 8.9% body fat. 3 days of weight training paid off.
    2017 March Run test: VDot 25, Ave pace 11:13, HR 148.  Worked on weight loss only. 
    I did my run test on the treadmill and forgot to set the incline , so it stayed at 0.  How will this effect the March 2018 test?  

I have to remember it is only the OS and I need to build my base.  

I am going to visit my daughter in Boca Raton, Florida  on March 19 to the 26. I can run, swim and if needed ride a inside stationary bike.  

So with that said I am going to retest the bike after I come back from Florida, that will give me a week off from lifting weights. 

Great Master Obi-Wan Kenobi, your Thoughts?  
    Ben Kenobipng
  • Options
    "it's just a matter of syncing your current fitness with expectations" I was just rereading you comment.  Yes, you definitely know my inner self! Yikes! 
  • Options
    @Yvette Metz - look at you on TP in charts and POSTING PICTURES to the Forum. Youve
    done more than just get wicked fit, it seems!!!!!

fatigue is high now so testing is super hard. I am pleased with the run test...not an equal comparison but you are definitely faster. And lighter. And stronger.

As for the bike, I am not surprised...so don’t let that one test get you down. Super hard to push the bike when you are tired. 

I think the rest is a great call...all we need is some
    frequency for training and the kids will keep you running! 

Someone on the Team can help. But the more data the better; so keep collecting. The hard part is that all the data is personal...so it’s not a “set” formula. 

Onwards!

~ Coach P 
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2018 1:15PM
    @Yvette Metz

Sorry for the delay...here we go!  Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. 

Your Races

• April 22 - Glass City Marathon 
    • May 20- Half Marathon
    • May 26 - Half Marathon 
    • June 10 -  OLY Triathlon 
    • June 24 - HIM Mont-Tremblant in Canada
    • July 8 - HIM Cherryman 
    • August 12 - HIM Steelhead
    • October 3 to 17th  Kona to volunteer and watch race.
    • October 21 - Half Marathon. 
    • November 3 - Ironman Florida /did not sign up yet. 

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 01/05/2018
    • On 1/8/2018 Load the OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, L1 run + L2 Bike WKOS, to end on 4/15/2017
    • On 4/16/2018 Load the Intermediate EN*Half to end on 06/24/2017
    • We'll work in the 13.1s in this window.
    • On 6/25/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 8/12/2018.
    • On 8/13/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 8/26/2018
    • On 8/27/2018 Load the Intermediate EN*Fulll to end on 11/4/2018
    • On 7/16/2018 Load the -- Post Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 12/2/2018
    • On 12/3/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/30/2018

Coach Notes

I have added in your races and the commensurate plans. That's a LOT OF RACES THIS Year...that's like 3 of my seasons in one season. As such, yo won't peak for every race, but I know we'll get you ready for them all. 

My big thing is to keep you:

• Healthy, so no over-reaching.
    • Strong on the bike, still room to improve here.
    • Consistent on the run....building that baseline engine will really help make you be your best!

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options
    edited March 26, 2018 1:06AM
    Hi coach P! 
    Matt Lambert is helping me with my TP dashboard and metrics. Very exciting to learn as much as possible about the TP @matt limbert . Take a look, he did an amazing job putting my dashboard together.  Now I know when to take a break and not fall in the rabbit hole. Finally, only took how many years? 
    I took Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday off ....not by choice!  I ended up with Bronchitis.  
    Quick question below: 
    This is from the above season plan: 
    • On 8/27/2018 Load the Intermediate EN*Half to end on 11/4/2018 
    Shouldn't it be load up the Intermediate EN*Full to end on 11/4/12018  Ironman Florida?  
  • Options
    @Yvette Metz I will definitely check it out, can’t wait to see it! In the meantime, yes I meant to say the bowling for a sign for that. I will donate that it it now. Please continue to ease back into your normal training as best you can.
  • Options
    @PatrickMcCrann sorry not sure what the last note meant? 
  • Options
     Neither do I! That’s ridiculous. I meant to say that I had messed up on the race distance made those adjustments to your schedule. Then I said they recommended that you use your way back into your training after the marathon! Very sorry.
  • Options
    Thanks! Now I have two questions for my season plan.
    1. On the season plan it says :
     •On 4/16/2018 Load the Intermediate EN*Half to end on 06/24/2017
    There is no 2018 plan with that title. What do I load up? 

2.On the season plan you say to :
    • On 8/27/2018 Load the Intermediate EN*Half to end on 11/4/2018 
    Shouldn't it be load up the Intermediate EN*Full to end on 11/4/12018  Ironman Florida? :smile:
    Help please! 
  • Options
    @Yvette Metz sorrry for the mix up. In 2018 I renamed the plans. You should also the L1
    or L2 workouts in the 2018 EN*Half Bike Focused 20 week Plan. Please let me know if you can’t find it.

I thought I fixed your season plan by editing it and the prior page of this forum thread. But in case I haven’t, you are right: you should be doing the full distance training plan into Florida another half. My apologies for that mistake!
  • Options
    Hi @PatrickMcCrann
    Well the race season is in full bloom! @matt limbert  has been helping me understand my data in Training Peaks .  :) You know me, I need things simplified.  Defiantly, helping with taper and how to read race reporting.  

Last weekend  I did the Back to the Beach Half Marathon (trail run and lots of hills) with my sons girlfriend Christina.  The only thing going on was a lot of chatter and fun, no racing.  Everything went well, stayed hydrated and felt great Finish Time: 2:45:00

This weekend was my true test of discipline and to execute what Matt has taught me . I ran the Bayshore Half Marathon.  You can see my results in Training Peaks. I finally felt confident on how to execute the race based on what Matt taught me about my metrics. 
    Here were my goals: 
    Nutrition: Stay hydrated with nunn tabs, Base salt , protein pills. Take UCan for calories and keep blood sugar stable. No sugar!
    Stops: Only walk the aid stations, to refill my water bottle.  I carry a 24 oz bottle. ( plan 24 oz per hour) 
    Execution: Keep heart rate around 142, Negative split the run, run the entire time, except for aid stations.  Pick up speed after mile 10. 
    Finish Time: No goal just execute the plan.
    Pre Race: I never warm up for a half marathon or full marathon.  This time I decided to run for warm up. Helped with settling my heart rate. 
    Post Race: 
    The day was going to be hot, so I focused on drinking, took in 5- 24 oz bottles of liquids, 3 packs of UCan. Average heart rate was: 145
    The race went well and I felt great at the end! 

Sorry to bother you but I need your help for the next few weeks. 
    This is the plan: 
    I leave May 30th for Florida.  I will swim and run there but no bike. 
    Return June 5th - Race OLY on June 10th. 
    June 11th Back on track with HIM training.
    June 24th HIM Mont- Tremblant  

I made changes to my workouts including flights and days off in Training Peaks . Can you please look at the following weeks and move around what you think is best?
    Week of May  28 th. 
    Week of June 4 th. 
    Week of June 11, back on track with the HIM plan for Mont- T Race. 
    Thanks Coach!    <3 
    I'm so excited for 2019 Spain Trip!   
  • Options
    @Yvette Metz - Sounds like perfect execution! Congratulations. I will take a look at your plan either later today or this weekend. Stay tuned.
  • Options
    @Yvette Metz - the plan looks great, although I can't tell what you are / aren't doing from the color coding. But that could easily be me. 

As for the week of 6/4 I say:
    • Monday is OFF
    • Tuesday is Bike only (you don't need 3 swims + OLY race)
    • Saturday ride is just steady state in Zones 1 to 2, no need to push it pre race.
    For week of 6/11, I say: 
    • You might need a light day on Monday; your call on that. 
    Final push to race means a bit more swimming and open water even if you can. That and make sure that your nutrition game is on point.

~ Coach P

• Options
    edited June 17, 2018 2:53PM
    Hi Coach Patrick ! @PatrickMcCrann
    So my OLY race did not go as planned. All in all I am ok with it considering I took first place being the only one in my age group.
    My swim was horrible!  (The last few months I have been having a skipped heart beat and my Dr. told me to stop taking thyroid medication that may be the problem. ) so I could not stay in my box. All I could think about was if something happened to my heart I would sink to the bottom and drown.  :# So the swim was a front stroke, back stoke, side any thing to finish.   
    Bike went ok, but started to loose power and was a slow bike for me.  I think I used everything in the swim.  The run went ok, just could not get my heart rate down .  I did run all but the aid stations.   
    Now next weekend is HIM Mont-Tremblant. then July 8 HIM Cherryman , August 12 HIM Steelhead,
    I wrote all my workouts in TP. When you have time can you take a look at my workouts and tell me if I did it correct? 
    thanks! 
    FEMALE AGE GROUP:  60 - 64
    Place No.  Name                Ag City/state          Rank Swim    Pace  T1      Rank Bike    Rate T2      Rank Run     Pace  Finish  Race For                          
    ===== ==== =================== == =================== ==== ======= ===== ======= ==== ======= ==== ======= ==== ======= ===== ======= ============================== 
        1  185 Yvette Metz         61 Troy MI                1   39:58  2:40    6:17    1 1:35:22 15.6    2:24    1 1:24:21 13:35 3:48:20 Endurance Nation    
  • Options
    Congratulations on your race, even if it wasn’t exactly what you wanted. Sometimes you “win” just by being who you are, which is awesome enough. I will check out your TrainingPeaks today and get back to you.
  • Options
    Thanks Coach P!
    Well I found out that I have ectopic atrial rhythm. I did a stress test two days before HIM Mt. T .  When my heart is below 100 it fires from the wrong place and it skips a beat. But once I get the rate over 100 it goes back to normal. He said I could do what ever I wanted. Glad to know what it is,now I can move on. 
    Excited to race Mt. T  in a few days. Have a nice weekend! 

• Options
     That is good to know. Looking at your results from tremblant, I am very pleased with your run. But I am a little confused about the bike. When you get a chance, can you break it down for me a little bit so we can see what changes if any we need to make? Congratulations on another finish! 
  • Options
    Thanks Coach! not sure what you mean on the bike?