Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Yvette Metz - Micro

Hi Coach,

I am on week 11 of the HIM intermediate plan. see below:

Tuesday:swim

Wednesday : Brick/bike run

Thursday:Run (day in question see below)

Friday :Run

Satuday: swim/bike/run one hour each

Sunday: Rest

What is the best way to change the schedule for this week on Thursday the 4th:  I have a 50 mile bike ride with friends scheduled.

Thanks,

Yvette

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Yvette, to be clear Saturday is "* Swim 1 hour * Bike 3 hours * Run 1 hour" so a 5 hour day, not a 3 hour day. I suggest we have you run an hour after your bike with friends for bad ass points and then we can drop Sat. Then Fri is swim only, Sat is your long run. Sunday is rest!
  • Options

Hi Coach,

I need your help!

FYI:  I have the Age group nationals OLY on Aug 11.

This is my weekend schedule.

Friday swim test:

Sat: run then bike- 20 minutes then 180 minutes

Sun: bike 120 minutes

I leave on Friday am .(7 to 8 hour drive)  will be driving to Wisconsin to try the brick adventure ( trying to decide if I want to do this IM in 2014-not sure about the hills)   The schedule is as follows:

Day Start Duration End Transition Activity Location
    Friday,

7/12
    6:00 PM 1:30 7:30 PM 0:00 Welcome Dinner Brickhouse BBQ
    7:30 PM 1:00 8:30 PM 1:00 Course Overview/Chat
    9:30 PM 9:00 6:30 AM 1:30 Sleep Your Bed (Hotels)
    Saturday,

7/13
    7:00 AM 1:00 8:00 AM 1:00 Open Water Swim Law Park - Official IMWI Swim Start
    9:00 AM 0:30 9:25 AM 0:05 Basic Bike Rules, Tips, Q&A SBR & RBS
    9:30 AM 3:00+ Up to you 0:30 Bike ride
    ??? 0:45 5:15 PM 0:00 Run off bike (optional)
    2:00 PM 3:30 5:00 PM 0:00 Post-Ride Bike Tech Q&A
    12:00 PM 5:00 5:00 PM 4:00 Cook-out & Comaraderie
    9:00 PM 8:00 5:00 AM 1:00 Sleep Your Bed
    Sunday,

7/14
    7:00 AM 2:00 9:00 AM 1:30 Long Run -Swim

Run Course
    10:30 AM 1:00 11:30 PM 0:00 Brunch/Lunch TBD by who ever is left

Is it ok to just follow this schedule or should I change the amount of time spent on each?

thanks ,

Yvette

• Options
    Yvette, the schedule is fine (Friday is OFF!) you might want to do just one loop of the bike...that is about 75-80 miles IIRC...more than enough given your up coming A race at AG Nats! Please eat and drink like a rock star during the weekend...it will be easy to fall behind on the Sat bike after that AM swim!
  • Options

Th anks Coach

Sarurday; Did the swim 50 minutes.

Rode one loop for a total of 42 miles that was enough considering the heat. Are you good with that?trying to hok

In the morning I thinkinng of only running for one hour to get 6 miles in. Then a light swim, pack and 7 hour ride ba ck to michigan. Monday ?

• Options
    Sorry I missed this, weeekends are no bueno for Coach P in forums (text is better: (617) 513-3830 -- How are you feeling this week?
  • Options

Hi coac h! 

Next weekend is my "A" race in the oly age group nationals.

This weekend is a tri for life race, should I pass or do it for practice?   I'm thinking pass so I'm ready for next week. 

Aafter the age group nationals is over need help with transition back into my workouts. Do I use the schedule from the wiki? 

Thanks! 

• Options

Hi Coach, Hope you are feeling better!

My current Plan: 2013 Half Ironman, Intermediate, next week will be week 17. it calls for a bike test. not sure how to transition back into my schedule after the race. I am doing the oly age group nationals on Saturday. when I return to training on Monday what is the correct plan to use for transition back into week 17 of HIM plan? Should I be doing all the tests? 

I found this:

Post Short Course Template Week

You’ll use this week as your guide after pretty much every short course race. Goal is to get back onto your normal training schedule Wednesday.

Event

Mon

Tue

Wed

Thur

Fri

Sat

Sun

Swim

Off or Recovery

Normal Swim

Normal Swim

Bike

Easy bike

Interval bike, should be back on track

Normal Bike

Normal Bike

Run

Easy Brick

Normal Long Run

Strides + T-pace repeats, see how you feel

Normal Brick

Thank you!

Yvette

• Options
    @Yvette -- #1 = GOOD LUCK!!!!! #2 = Follow the recovery plan right back into Week 17. There is no need to test unless you feel like you have made serious gains. For example, your bike file from race day should strongly reflect your FTP!!!
  • Options

Hi Coach

I'm on week 18 of. Intermediate half ironman did a 52 mile ride 3:25 :00 today. The first half was amazing ...not so much the last half.  Changed my nutrition plan and it went south fast.

Ucan 2scoops drank it half hour before ride

Every 15 water with electrolyte s no sugar two bottles

Salt tab every hour

Went well the first 2 hours then I hit the wall. 

Ran out of water and the electrolyte s were not strong enough.  Tried to recover but was to late. Had gue and drank some efs. 

Wwas going to run 6 miles but that did not happen. Was dehydrated so had a recovery drink and called it a daday.

Half iron in two weeks. Do I plug in the schedule from the wiki the week before race or do week 20¿ 

Next weeken I'm going back to my old nutrition. 

Ucan every two hours

Salt tabs 1-2 every hour

One bottle of efs every hour

Ran out of water and the electrolyte s were not stronv enough

Ran out of water and the electr

• Options

Sorry hit the wrong button.

I took Friday off instead of sunday.

Should I just start monday with the planed workouts or take it off.

Thanks! 

• Options
    Take off monday. I am not a fan of the UCAN stuff for racing (training okay) b/c of how you need to vary intake due to temps,etc, and how little water we want you to take in at all. Do the math on your plan and make sure you are getting in between 800 and 1000 mg of sodium an hour please!!!!!!!!
  • Options

Thanks Coach,

Hope you had a nice holiday!  

FYI...I changed bank accounts and filled out the form on EN. Hope all transitions well. 

Ucan is for daily use only.  going to start a new plan for nutrition. will look over the wiki for advise.

Need your help with a few things.

Change of plans: My HIM is in Tawas,MI. this weekend on Saturday,not sure if I can go now. Yesterday was a sad day here in MI.  One of my husbands employees passed away last night  and a good friend of mine he father passed away as well.   So plans are all up in the air! 

I am going to PM you with additional info. Thanks Coach, Yvette

• Options
    YM so so sad to hear your news...headed to the PM zone right now. Please let us know if we can do anything!
  • Options

Thanks Coach,

New bike purchase is on hold for now.  So lost with training this week now that I am not doing the Half IM.  Dont know where to start next week.  I decided one day at a time till Monday.  I will take a look at my next race or find another Half IM, may have along taper?  

thanks again for your help.

I will get back to you Monday.

• Options
    ok ok please keep me posted...happy to talk to you too if that's easier! (617) 513-3830 Cell Phone (EST Time)
  • Options

Hello Coach,

• Options

I found a half marathon to run instead of the Half Iron after the funeral. 20 weeks of HIM training then no race threw me for a loop...no closure.  I have been running, swim, bike but no schedule loaded.  Saturday bike was 48 miles, Sunday bike was 48 miles then a 7 mile run at night.  took Monday and Tuesday off. 

I am going to Florida a the end of the month to sign up for 2014 IM FL.round 2.   I would like to start the out season in January. 

My big question to you is: So, what plan can I load up in the interim?

I would like to swim two days a week and work with some weights as well.  I did pay the fee to talk with Leigh,we should be  connect some time this week.

I know  you all are swamped with the new member sign ups.  I'm going to wait till next week to send my season plan in ,there is plenty of time. Considering next year is a late IM I know the season will be split in two.  I have to pencil races in before I can even send the season plan to you all.

Thanks Coach!  

• Options
    @Yvette, I am glad to hear you are finding some rhythm with the training...that's critical. I suggest you start the BRAND NEW Run Durability Plan (#1, then #2). So you can learn more about it in the Wiki under Three Year Plan section...but the idea it's a baseline...we can add 2 swims to it and you keep 2 bikes...and you are building basic durability for next season....then we get into the OS...deal? image
  • Options

Deal! 

Last out season I tried the no swim....it was a disaster for me. so this year I would like to swim in the winter if it is ok with you Coach.The group I swim with works on technique Tuesday and Thursday am for the winter. 

Here is the schedule for the next two weeks on the Brand New Run Durability plan #1. like you suggested.I know its a base line thinking I should have three days of core/strength? (at 56 years old  my upper body and core are not strong)

Where do I add the bike?

Can the extra swim go on Tuesday?.  (so I can swim with the group)

if I add the swim and bike what run do I take out or do I just add the extra swim and bike?

thanks!

• Options
    @Yvette, thanks for coming back with more. I am fine with the swimming...gotta maintain for sure!! So I say that you keep those on Tuesday and Thursday as you noted.

I say we keep it at one bike a week right now, with Monday's off.

For the core/strength I'd really REALLY prefer we find a way to get you a 15' to 20' session you can do before each run...so then you'd do it Tues/Wed/Fri and be done. If the routines in the wiki aren't enough (under self coaching section) we could potentially have Monday be a strength day and then core on the others...but I'd like you to have _A_ day off if possible!

Let me know what you think of those edits...
  • Options

Hi Coach, Run Durability Level Two plan.  I am starting on Monday. OS starts January , can I modify it like below?

I need to work on losing body weight,working with strength upper body posture,and not forget swim. (see past micro notes)

I found a weight program and would like to do it three days a week. its at 6am and I can do the other workouts after I'm done. the web site is http://stationfiveonefive.com/wp/

until OS starts in January,  need to swim two days, weights 3 days so is the schedule below ok? or do I need to take off a run?

we still need to talk about my 2014 year

thanks,

Yvette

Monday 60min
    Core / Functional Strength Session.  Studio five weights

Tuesday swim 60/ run 40 min

Swim: with group

Run: as planned/ Warm up as needed; goal is to even split them. Should be slightly faster each week.

Wednesday core 60 mi/run as plan

Core / Functional Strength Session.Studio five weights

and 

Run:  MS: 30? as 4 to 6 strides, remainder @ GRP (Goal Race Pace).

Thursday swim 60/run 45 min

Swim and Run 

Give yourself some time to warm up if required. If no hills in your area, simulate with a treadmill if possible or just do a regular run.

Friday 60 min
    Core / Functional Strength Session. Studio five weights

You can find resources in the Wiki if required, at the bottom of the Self Coaching Page under Core Resources: http://bit.ly/SelfCoaching

Saturday 30 min
    MS: 30? as 4 to 6 strides, remainder @ GRP (Goal Race Pace).

Saturday 90 min
    MS: Majority of ride time @ 80-85%/Zone3/Mod-Hard.

You can extend this to up to 120 minutes, but no longer.

Sunday 70 min
    MS: 70' as 40' regular, then final 30' as @ B-A-A GRP (Below-At-Above Goal Race Pace) in 3-minute increments.

Below = 15 seconds slower per mile, Above = 15 seconds faster per mile.

• Options

forgot to tell you.

I am working with Leigh to strength my pelvic.  I am doing basic pelvic exercises (20 minutes) and rolling after work outs to prevent injury(20minutes) .

• Options
    Yvette, yes you can modify it like that. A couple of big picture notes for you to consider....

* First the sleep cost of the early sessions. I am all for the strength but please make sure you are getting a good night's sleep!

* Multiple changes = harder time discerning what is / isn't working for you. If you lose 5lbs by 1/1, what will have done it? What can you increase to make it improve? That could be hard to tell.

* Monday / Friday as core only is the way to go right now....remember, we still need to build up for the rest of your season!!!!

• Options

Thanks Coach!

Ok on getting sleep! I'm recording my sleep to stay on top of it.  It is better for me to workout in the am, then go to work.  If I wait until the end of the day forget it.

Ok on the Monday /Friday core. I will do the ones that Leigh gave me and continue to work with her.

I'll check in next week and let your know how it is going.

Yvette

• Options

Posted By Yvette Metz on 03 Dec 2013 11:32 AM

Thanks Coach!

Ok on getting sleep! I'm recording my sleep to stay on top of it.  It is better for me to workout in the am, then go to work.  If I wait until the end of the day forget it.

Ok on the Monday /Friday core. I will do the ones that Leigh gave me and continue to work with her.

I'll check in next week and let your know how it is going.

Yvette

my new bike arrives this week! When I was in Florida  volunteering for IM the Orbea rep was there with the new bike and was selling last years models. I couldn't refuse the great deal.  Plus I was in the market for a Tri bike.  Very exciting!  

• Options
    oooh, gotta post pictures of your ride when you get the chance!!!!
  • Options

Hi Coach

Time to check in

Nov 15 started a new food plan and supplements with dr. Did food testing and cut out all foods I am allergic to, in addition to no sugar or carbs.down 17lbs and counting

Jan out season was going well.

I was doing the weight class m/w/f@ 6am and following the o's plan. Was getting enough sleep and felt great. Was a able to keep up on workouts. Then week 3, I missed two workouts because my aunt passed away had to arrange funeral got back on track. Then week 4&5 not so good.

I had to fly to Florida my client purchase a 2800square foot un furnished condo and wanted me to furnish it in one week. Long story short, I had to stay two weeks and ended up working 140 hours. Not to mention we did not have a chance to eat or drink all day until dinner. Not good (client didn't want to stop-tried to keep nuts in a bag to munch on.

before work Week 4 of OS I was able to do all the runs, one bike and one swim.

Before work Week 5 of OS not so good... did 2 runs and one bike.

Flew home on Feb 8 by 6pm and by night my entire  body was sore and extremely tired legs and feet swollen.

Decided to rest up on Sunday do nothing

Monday back on schedule Jan OS Week 6

Was planning the following:

Do os week 6 as planned m/w add weights and Friday do a swim(keep loose) instead of weights

What are your thoughts on jumping back in after missing part of week 5.

the plan is to catch up on sleep

Thanks coach

Yvette

• Options

Hi Coach

Time to check in

Nov 15 started a new food plan and supplements with dr. Did food testing and cut out all foods I am allergic to, in addition to no sugar or carbs.down 17lbs and counting

Jan out season was going well.

I was doing the weight class m/w/f@ 6am and following the o's plan. Was getting enough sleep and felt great. Was a able to keep up on workouts. Then week 3, I missed two workouts because my aunt passed away had to arrange funeral got back on track. Then week 4&5 not so good.

I had to fly to Florida my client purchase a 2800square foot un furnished condo and wanted me to furnish it in one week. Long story short, I had to stay two weeks and ended up working 140 hours. Not to mention we did not have a chance to eat or drink all day until dinner. Not good (client didn't want to stop-tried to keep nuts in a bag to munch on.

before work Week 4 of OS I was able to do all the runs, one bike and one swim.

Before work Week 5 of OS not so good... did 2 runs and one bike.

Flew home on Feb 8 by 6pm and by night my entire  body was sore and extremely tired legs and feet swollen.

Decided to rest up on Sunday do nothing

Monday back on schedule Jan OS Week 6

Was planning the following:

Do os week 6 as planned m/w add weights and Friday do a swim(keep loose) instead of weights

What are your thoughts on jumping back in after missing part of week 5.

the plan is to catch up on sleep

Thanks coach

Yvette

• Options
    Yvette - Holy client madness....tell me you don't work for Donald Trump!!!!! image Lesson learned you have a stash of Clif Builder's Bars in your bag....guess you can "sneak" water when you go to the bathroom. I think your plan for week six is okay, BUT, this is officially FRICTION time...Week Six represents the transition from "training" to "building fitness" -- IOW you might have to let go of the weights. That 6am start time in addition to the OS workout is a bit much. Perhaps you can transition to a different weight / strength workout that you can do on your own time, say in front of the TV before bed?

Losing that sleep is like not investing for your retirement. When you need the energy, it's not going to be there!
  • Options

Up date more travel...rrrrr Friday am to Monday night

Week 6 of out season, Monday weights,tuesday bike, wed bike, Thurs bike then  the plan was fly out on Friday am (day off) then Saturday Sunday Monday do the runs back on track week 7. The runs did not happen. Rrrrf my grandson(8yrs) got sick then it went like wildfire to my granddaughter(5yrs) who ended up in the hospital, then my daughter and the babysitter and my grandson(18mts). Flew home Monday plane delayed arrived home at 2am,went to bed   thought I was safe but oh no Tuesday am I was down for the count it was a virus . it is now Thursday.

it is now week7 Thursday I'm going to do my Thursday workout if I feel ok I will take Friday off then jump into the rest of the week. Does this sound reasonable coach?

working on the sleep will change the weights.