Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Yvette Metz - Micro

15678911»

Comments

• Options
     Sorry I wasn’t more specific. It seems slower than your average bike, so I wasn’t sure if there was anything different there that you wanted to focus on or something that happened that you wanted to share with me to give me some context.

Overall, I am very pleased with how your run continues to develop, want to make sure we see similar trends on the bike. 
  • Options
    Yes, the bike was slower you are correct.  I was listening to your podcast on Mt. bike and was worried about riding to hard because of the hills on the back half. Can't figure out how hard to ride the bike and still run the entire run. 
    I did feel good on the run, never felt like I had to walk it,only the aid stations.  I am doing HIM Cherryman in Traverse City this weekend. the plan is to focus on nutrition, find my go all day pace on the swim,bike run. See how it goes then Steelhead race hard with what I learned at HIM Mt. T and HIM Cherryman.   
    I will need help with HIM Steelhead. I have not moved to the new system for the training plans yet. I just figured out how to read the metrics onTraining peaks. Now I need to learn the new. 
  • Options
    Good luck this weekend! I’ll be happy to help you with steel head once you’re back.. I agree, being able to run is more important, and your run performance certainly showed that you had paste the bike probably. I am not so much funny out a problem I was just trying to learn more about your race. Talk to you next week!!
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2018 11:40AM
    Hi Coach @PatrickMcCrann
    Thanks for the feed back.  Well I raced HIM Cherryman.  It was a joke.  Extremely unorganized and all the disciplines were longer in the sprint, OLY and HIM. The swim was 2500 yards, Bike was 60 miles the run was 13.1 but there were hills in the trail that were all sand, most people that make it to the run said they walked the sandy hills because it was so deep.  There were 33 athletes signed up for the HIM and only 15 finished the rest were DNF. They pulled everyone off the bike course. I make it to mile 48 on the bike, when the officials stopped me and said I was being pulled off the bike I just stopped , put my arms up in the air and yelled YES!!!  The official was a little perplexed and said people were yelling and arguing with him for the last 15 minutes.  The bike course was a great practice ride but was extremely unsafe with the traffic.  I went back to transition and was going to run for the practice but they would not let me.  My friend DNF and was devastated and said "I went to Kona I have never had a DNF".  Some times life lessons are humbling and there is life and learning lessons after DNF.  She is going to Nationals in 4 weeks. Came home and hired a coach. It was clearly a poor race venu with half the racers being pulled. 
    On ward, I need your help with Steelhead.  

FYI... We have been in our house for 30 years and last week I took on the project of renovating the entire house  (3000 square feet) along with working.  Déjà vu!!!   Sorry didn't mean to scare you, I know the struggles you had with your house project.  
    With that said, this week I  doing my workouts, working then coming home and packing everything up. So Thursday I was supposed to run 12 miles, that did not happen.  once on the trail I ran 100 yards then walked 5.4 miles and called it a day. Friday. I went to weight class for 1.5 hours then swim. the plan was to swim 1.5 miles and I only made it 600 yards, hung out in the water for 10 minutes waiting for everyone else to return then swam back.  Went to the park to ride and only make it 21 miles with great effort.  Was a struggle to drive home I was so tired, came home packed some more then we had to go out that night. So today it is going to rain so I scheduled time in the lab to do my bike workout.  I am on week 17 of HIM .  Ride 195 minutes then do a brick.  Sunday plan is to ride 50/60 miles out side with the group.  I will let you know how it goes. In addition, Saturday and Sunday after workouts I will be going home and doing a demo on three bedroom. So, on Monday if I am still tired I am taking the day off of training.  
    I will write and let you know how it goes. Steelhead is going to be my all out "A" HIM race. 

• Options
    @Coach Patrick Hi Coach! 
    Steelhead HIM in three weeks.  
    I did my Saturday ride in the lab because of rain and it forced me to stay on target with the workout.  By the end of the ride my legs were starting to give in and my tss was 281. I did a 20 minute run after. 
    Sunday, I rode 40 miles with a tss of 166. was feeling tired and done.  my fitness CTL was 99, My Fatique 151 ATL and form was -50.  so I decide to take Monday off. 
    Took Monday off to work on the demo all day.  
    Tuesday I swam 2500 at the lake and was feeling better, not so tired. I am supposed to run but did not have it in me.  I am going to do more demo today and see if I can run tonight.  Going to try and stay with all the workouts for this week.  If I am not feeling it then I will sip the workout or just do is with less intensity.  I need to keep my Atl and TSB  up for another week if possible so I can taper and be ready for HIM Steelhead.  
    any suggestions? you can see my TP account. 
  • Options
    thank you for the updates! You don’t need to worry too much about the data, more about the work. Have you had a great weekend and very pleased with that training despite the heavy duty work you were doing at home. The consistency matters the most so even if you can’t get a big session in but get in a 5 Mile run we are good. 

I would try to be consistent during the week and really just focus on that long run session. Then crush your weekend like you did last weekend and you should be all set.

Remember the more open water swim or you could do in the last two weeks the better.  

Bump me after this weekend and will see what we need to do during the taper. 
  • Options

Hi @Coach Patrick !

Well I think that I am officially in burn out mode. Thursday I went to do the first of my split run and at mile 1.6 turned around and walk back. I had nothing. So I decided to take some time off. Thursday night went to bed , woke up at 5 am drove to weight class made it 1 block away turned around and went home. I went back to bed and did not wake up until Friday at 5 PM ate dinner then went back to bed until Saturday morning. Tried to do my long ride and only made it 3 hours. So this week I am going to try again. I only have 60 days till IM FL. Any suggestions?

• Options

it certainly sounds like burn out to me. Do you think it has anything to do with the fact that you signed up for 23 races this year? :-) At the end of the day, we all have limits. Sounds like you hit yours.

The good news is, you know that you hit that spot now. And we also know that you got a great deal of good work already this season. I recommend you take the rest of this week very light. Short frequent runs and short swims are great. Please do not get up and go to a weight class at 5 AM.

if we can get for five days a good rest, you should be able to go out and get into a decent ride this weekend, just focusing on endurance and time in the saddle. Then you can back that up on Sunday with a decent run. Hopefully the combination of five hours on Saturday and 90 minutes on Sunday will be just enough to turn your shit around.

Please let me know how that goes. It sounds like we may very well need to make some adjustments to the aggressiveness of your schedule to allow for recovery this late in the year.

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Hi Thanks for the great advise! Yea, if I could only follow directions. re read after I did the work:

" I recommend you take the rest of this week very light. Short frequent runs and short swims are great. Please do not get up and go to a weight class at 5 AM.if we can get for five days a good rest, you should be able to go out and get into a decent ride this weekend, just focusing on endurance and time in the saddle. Then you can back that up on Sunday with a decent run."

#1). I do not think I can switch to the new workout log before IMFL. To much new stuff to learn with everything else going on. With that said I input all my workout @ training peaks until IMFL .

#2). As you can see I did not even follow your directions from above. Just read it in a hurry.

so Sept 3 Monday, swam 1000. just had nothing left

Sept 4 off

Sept 5 Bike test and no swim

Sept 6 Started out to do the split run and ended up running 2:10 finished 8.43 miles/ so much for a split felt good but slow.

Sept 7 Swam 3658 yards/ felt good until the last 500 was getting tired/decided not to do the aerobic bike.

Sept 8 ,3 hour bike, was slow only did 43 miles, my bike fit is not right. ( I moved it before HIM Steelhead- now it is extremely uncomfortable- need to move it back) hopefully this week. Could not wait to get off the bike was just tired.

Sept 9 , 2 hours and only 28.5 miles, same thing tired and uncomfortable so I decided to stop, it would just be junk miles if I kept going.

After the fact, I should have just did one bike and took Sunday off.

Monday I am taking off.

I am sorry but I need your help for this week ! and them later for Oct 2 to Oct 20th. its on my training peaks schedule., but will ask you about October next week.

as for next week I am going to try the following: any changes you have are welcome!

Monday off

Tuesday: Swim/ Run

Wednesday Bike/ brick

Thursday : do Saturday ride of 5 Hours and 40 minute brick.

Friday: Swim / Bike recovery

Saturday: Bike 1.5 hours / run 1 hour

Sunday : do my long run at the Brooksie Way half marathon.

Hoping to fix my bike fit this week.

Thanks Coach!

• Options

thanks for the update, I totally get it, so much to juggle right now at this time of year! I suggest that you take a good look at your caloric intake as well. Sometimes consistent fatigue is a function of not enough calories in the work out at this time of year. Something to think about or at least experiment with to see if it doesn’t make a difference.

I think your plan for this week looks good. My only edits are to have you keep the Wednesday work out you under 90 minutes total and to take Friday off or swim only with a pull buoy. The weekend looks good, and we can tackle the following week after we see how Sunday goes.

• Options

Hi @Coach Patrick !

you are correct, I need to start tracking my macros again. I will start this week. I had to change my schedule again because of work and construction. I decided to drop my Friday 90 Minute weight lifting class. I can start up in January after the races. Only going on Wednesday after I do my Threshold bike workouts .

I had my bike fit adjusted again. This time I think it is a lot better. The next day on Saturday I did my long bike and completed 90 miles in 5 hour ride time with an average of 17.2 miles per hour. Much better because I am using more of my "glutes". I should be able to hold 17 to 18 miles per hour with all the workouts I have been doing since January. The file is in TP. Defiantly, a confidence builder for IMFL.

With the screen shot of my workout am I over reaching again or is this a good workout week plan 😕?

Thanks Coach P! 😀

• Options

@Yvette Metz - I am so happy that you got a new bike fit. Riding a bike that is poorly fit is only a few steps away from torture! We know you have the Fitness because you’ve been doing such good work all year so it’s nice to see that you can tap into it now.

Looking at your schedule above it’s ambitious but not too much. The key is making sure that you have Mondays off for recovery and before we go room as well. For example if something happens during the week where you need to miss a session, we can always shuffle things around if need be.

It’s also important for you to take a look at the schedule and determine Which of those workouts are the most important on each day.

For example on Friday it’s more important to me that you get the bike and then the swim so if push came to show of, you could drop the swim for the bike. Make sense?

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Well last weekend I did the Brooksie Half marathon and everything went as planned. 11:59 minute miles.

Took Monday off,

Tuesday swam 1000yrds had nothing race beat me up.

Wednesday nothing took it off

Thursday, Worked all day no workout. Mike was sick. Had to take him to U of M emergency, they kept him...pancreatitis. returned home at 2am.

Friday: on phone all morning with Dr.s then took my mother to the dr. was so tired I couldn't do a workout

Saturday: going to park and ride 4 hours instead of 6. Going to hospital pick up Mike around 1pm return home by 6pm.

Sunday: try and do a workout weather permitting ride out side.

Monday pack for kona.

Tuesday leave in am to airport and arrive on Wednesday at 1pm.

Pick up bike at rental shop. Have it for 12 days.

This week was a total wash for training. Was extremely nervous about not training and realize it is what it is. I will just pick up training in kona. What better place to focus on IM Florida.

See you soon! Aloha

• Options
    edited October 1, 2018 1:40AM

@PatrickMcCrann Saturday ride, went with intention to ride 6 hours. In 2 hours I only had 25 miles. Had no energy and no power in my legs. So I stopped after 2 hours. Went to the hospital to pick Mike up. Accomplished a 2 hour bike ride and 4 hours in the car. Boom#@%# 6 hour ride! LOL went home and slept 10 hours.

Sunday, did 3:15 hour bike at the park 45 miles.

Not sure what workout is Monday and Tuesday is kona .

See you there!

• Options

@Yvette Metz - this is all good. Remember, you have had a really long year. I know some of your crazy friends might make you think otherwise, but for the average person the motor racing in training you do is quite significant. If you wants in a while, things just get to be “too much.“

In your case they’re obviously extenuating personal circumstances as well. I’m glad that you just roll with the punches and listen to your body. Honestly, the worst thing you could’ve done was to try and push through all of that then end up in a terrible hall before you went to Hawaii.

Once you get on the big Island the first day or two will need to be easy training for you to adapt to the heat. Speaking of which, make sure you bring bottles and your drink mix for you are ready.

Cant wait to see you out there!!

• Options

Hi @Coach Patrick , Its taken me a long time to recover from IMFL. I wrote my race report and posted it.

Now I have Pneumonia, but going in to Christmas I can rest. I want to start back training. I need to set up my Final Surge. I will fill out my season plan so you can direct me on the workout schedule. I have to send my money in for the Spain Trip just waiting for the invoice.

Have a wonderful Christmas and Happy New year.

• Options

@Yvette Metz -

Thanks for the update and getting things dialed in. I will get you the invoice shortly (forgot about that part!). Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Coach Notes

Here we go Yvette!! Sorry to hear about your pneumonIa but you'll be back! I have attached the season outline for 2019 below. It's the OS you know and love and we'll have to modify the weekends for more cycling so you are ready to rock in Mallorca. Then we'll transition to the remainder of your year...

Once you Finish adding Final Surge to your account (check your inbox for a code and instructions!) I can get to work. I won't load all the plans yet as your year might change...But I can get you started.

Looking forward to the year!

Your Races

• 04/13/2019 (Camp Mallorca Spain)
    • 05/26/2019 Big Fish OLY
    • 08/25/2019 HIM Travers City Michigan
    • Ironman Louisville (2019-10-13) #IMLou_19

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 12/22/2018
    • On 12/17/2018 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/13/2019
    • >> Transition Early <<
    • On 1/7/2019  Load the    OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/14/2019 (we modify this for bikE volume)
    • Cycling Camp Week + Recovery
    • On 4/29/2019  Load the   Short Course Plan to end on 05/26/2019 (we modify this for biking)
    • On 5/27/2019 Load the    EN*Full Bike Focused  to end on 10/13/2019
    • On 10/14/2019 Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, Trial Member Version, All Levels (4wks) to end on 11/10/2019

Your Notes

IMFlorida Nov 4th , been working out about 4 to 5 days, last 2 weeks no workouts because of Pneumoniaweights 3 times a week, swim 1 run 2 or 3times

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Hi

@Coach Patrick !

Happy New Year! Going on 4 weeks of Phenomenon. Have a CT scan in the am. Can't wait to start back with training.

When I have the all clear from the Dr. Going to need your help on how to start back.

That's it for now!

Hope your holiday was great!

• Options

Sounds good! Do you know where to find me. 😂

• Options

🤩@Coach Patrick time to check in. Well it took 8 weeks to recover. Glad that is over. I need your advice on how to move forward. This is where I am.

Finally loaded FS and uploaded the OS bike focus 2. Having trouble with loading bike workouts. Emailed support and have to tweak somethings. I'm still logging in TP as well. Not sure how to interact with you on FS. You have my TP password. Started back week 1 walking then running. Each week started to add more. Then went into OS plan. I'm on week 4 and have added swim as well. I have 6 weeks M-W-F of weightlifting class (90 minute long class)left that I paid for. (Have not started back because I am concerned it will be to much to fast. ) plus Spain camp is only 2 months away. Very excited but scared I'm not training correctly.

Yes,we are still celler dwellers while the house renovation is in progress. 🙃

So I need your advice on the following:

1. FS- how do we interact there? I'm still using TP for the metrics .

2. How do I add more bike time to be prepared for camp? Can you tweak my training calendar?

3. Frustrated because my weight is back up and I can't take 6 weeks off training to loose it like before. House reno, work and trying to fit exercise in. You know me, not good at juggling a lot of stuff. I'm trying to log food but not going well.

Any advice you can give will be appreciated!

• Options

I am on this today after my bike ride

• Options

@Yvette Metz

Okay, thanks for the update!!

I have outlined a TEMPORARY 3 week plan In Training Peaks for what I am thinking for you based off of the prior weeks you have done. So it's bike heavy but run consistent, with Monday off. No need to hit the gym now; we need aerobic time!

Moving forward, I can look at your log in Training Peaks, but I can't build your program there for you. I can build it in Final Surge, and when you execute it will "fill in" TP.com if that's okay. Other folks will plan on FS (you can put in calendar) and then they use TP to analyze. I think you need TP for a calendar function, but now you have that on Final Surge as well. Here's how you sync with your calendar: Final Surge Third Party Calendar Sync

Good news is that while your overall training volume is down, you HAVE been getting time in on the bike. So you aren't starting from ZER0 with regards to Mallorca prep. 🤣

Don't worry about logging food; spend your mental effort on (1) eating clean and (2) making sure you are consistent. At the end of the day, we want a daily SOMETHING, even if that's 2 miles of jogging.

Deal?!!!? 👍

~ Coach P

• Options
    edited February 17, 2019 10:38PM

@Coach Patrick @Coach Patrick

Hi Coach ! Ok, so I know how amazing you are at scheduling workouts . How the heck did you figure out a new TEMPORARY 3 week workout in training peaks for me???? The reason I am asking, I went into TP to see the new 3 week TEMPORARY workouts you input for me and realized that the workouts I completed were being entered several times in TP and FS. I was completely confused because the calendars are a disaster. There were multiple workouts on each day. How could you see the workouts I was doing. Sorry for the disaster on the calendars. I am trying to figure out FS. 😱

So I went into FS and TP to correct the workouts that I did complete. It looks like I was taking two days a week off. Now you will be able to see the correct workouts that I have done since January when I started back. I will be able to workout 6 days a week now.

So I left the Temporary 3 weeks of workout in TP that you input. Can you double check that is what you want me to do? seams like a very low volume schedule with only 8 weeks let to Spain trip. I have been doing 2 hour Saturday rides for the past 4 weeks now. Should I really be cutting the Saturday rides back? 🤔

Yes, I understand going forward you have to build my program in FS. Then when my workouts upload they will go to TP and FS. That is fine with me.

• Options
    Yvette -

I will check again. I build a program off of what I could see, and I
    assumed that was accurate. I will make a note to log back into TP to
    confirm after reviewing your data for the last few weeks. 👍

~ Coach P
  • Options

@Coach Patrick Thanks...your the best! 🙂

• Options

@Yvette Metz Ok, hit the TP.com. I really am looking forward to you getting 4 x Rides per week. I think that's really important for you heading into Mallorca; but I still want a lighter day on Friday. So I kept that as a Lap Swim and moved the Strides / Brick Run to Saturday! 👍 Happy training!

• Options

Hi@Coach Patrick

Well your changes to my workouts have made a difference, starting to feel better during workouts.

This weekend I fueled with UCan and Nuun and felt stronger. I did my bike test and run test. results are in FS and TP.

My TP fitness looks like it is trending up. That's a plus but I have a long way to go. I need to improve for the Spain trip.

Next week is the last planned workout change you did for me. The workouts in FS are as per your plan.

Moving forward after next week: should I start to follow the plan? Or make the bike workouts longer or add a 5th bike in for the week ?

Saturday, I tried to ride with the group but when I hit join the ride it stated my regular workout would end. I did not want to try and ride with everyone and loose my focus. I think I need to focus on my rides as written. A lot to focus on with Zwift, Discord and talking with everyone. Focus,Focus, Focus Spain! 😁

Have a good week!

• Options

I think it’s a good idea for you to transition towards following the plan now. Yes to making sure one of the weekend rides is longer. Remember, Spain is not a competitive trip. We rarely ride more than an hour without some kind of a break, and there’s usually a coffee shop break in the middle too! It’s more about having fun and getting a ton of miles in. You will want to be ready for a four hour ride for sure, but don’t annihilate yourself right now.

I agree, stick with your regular workouts now and eventually we can move towards being more integrated with Zwift. Right now, focus is your friend!

• Options

Hi @Coach Patrick !

Wow, it's been 7 years since I joined EN. I will be taking a break from EN for a while and putting my account on hold. Thank you for everything and wish you the best! To all the EN team thank you for your support over the years. Enjoy your summer !

my contact info: email: ymii@comcast.net phone: 248-568-1314

🙂

• Options

Thanks for the note @Yvette Metz Hard to believe how quickly time flies! I hope you have a fantastic 2019 season and look forward to hearing from you soon.