1,800m swim workout
    400m easy
    6 x 100m (20") with first 75m moderate, last 25m hard
    200m hard (2')
    400m easy
  • Options
    Big Training Day finished.

1 mile ocean swim, 35 mile bike at IF=88%, 10 mile run

The legs were missing some spunk on the run.
  • Options

Nice work David!

Cool rainy morning here for my big day, but it went really well. 

1hr swim: ~3200m, 4hr ride 77 miles 185NP .75IF, 1 hr run 7.5mi 

Looking forward to the day off tomorrow!

• Options
    Good job both David and Rian!
    I Had to work this weekend. Hour run before work yesterday. 50 mi bike today on 3hr sleep (worked past midnight).
    Do the best we can-enjoyed a 3hr nap after breakfast with the family at Cafe Oink!
  • Options
    Nice work Rian and Betsy.
    Big swim workout this evening.
    400m w/u
    3x [6x (75m easy + 25m all out) , 200m hard]
    400m c/d
  • Options
    Feeling sluggish these past few days back on the plan. Raced a very successful HIM on Sunday and my first day back on the plan was the Thursday long run. Met my pace times, but had to call uncle 15 min short. My feet were done. Today swimming was great, but the 40 min run that followed was not as great. Feet and lower legs are still not 100%. Riding a hilly course tomorrow with some local cyclists...thinking about giving my feet a rest and skipping the run scheduled beforehand. Looking forward to getting back on my bike!
  • Options

I'm with you Danielle, dragging a bit today. Had a great run on Thursday, my fastest 13.1 ever. Today I got to the pool, but regretted it. I think I would have benefited more from sleeping in and resting today. I ended up shortening my swim down to 2000. I guess I need to trust myself that if I feel that way, I'm not being wimpy, but manifesting fatigue. 

I plan an early bedtime to catch up a bit and be ready to ride tomorrow.

• Options
    Fatigue seems to be a common theme currently. This evening I am feeling it.
    This morning was a pain cave sweat-fest in warm humid weather.
    Cycling: 70min, IF=86%: 20min at 70%, 20x 1min at 110% (1'), 10min at 70%
    Afternoon swim: steady pace of 2,000m

Tomorrow I get to jump into the ocean for an enjoyable 1.5 mile big group swim.
  • Options
    210min bike with no surges today turned into a 4 hour surging hilly ride, .9IF until last 10mi downhill home. Group ride started in Scottsdale valley, rode east up to Fountain Hills (the AZIM beeline turnaround at Shea is Fountain Hills), north out to Rio Verde then up 9mi hill(3%) grade then home. I'm going to do Sunday on the drainer just as prescribed. Only ran 20min before ride so will add a run in before tomorrow too (that will make the dogs happy!)
  • Options
    Legs were turned to jello today.
    Pain Cave session - cycling 20min at 70%, 20x 1min at 120% (1min easy), 10min at 70% plus 15min transition run easy pace
  • Options
    Strong 12 miles this morning (on the treadmill). Testing new shoes, so I had to use the treadmill...sadly, because it was absolutely gorgeous here in VA this morning.
  • Options
    Nice treadmill running Danielle; It was a run day for me also but I was fortunate the outdoors was available. 2.5 hour long run. Feeling it this evening as very tired.
  • Options

Was having a great week till wed night when I crashed my bike. Aside from big patches of road rash, no major damage. So I'm down for a couple days to give my skin a head start on healing and check over the bike. 

Story about the crash:

I was in the middle of the 20' z4 interval, and was feeling very strong, having paced the first 10' and 15' just right. You know how it goes doing threshold work, you're in aero, you look up long for any obstructions up the road, then go heads down to keep an eye on the computer/power-meter/hr. Heads down I can usually see 4-5 ft out, enough to zig-zag for small stuff. Up, down, up, down. All clear. Then in one instant I go from doing  27mph and in the zone to doing the shoulder slide on the pavement. I have time to think, 'okay that enough sliding, cause that's just ripping skin off' and I put a hand down to stop. Dumb. Now I'm doing a head slide, grinding down the top and back of my helmet. I can hear it grinding. Oy. The grinding is alleviated by a nice end over end tumble, which breaks me loose of the bike, and puts me full stop on my butt in the lane. I scramble to my feet and grab the bike, and get both of us out of the road. What the hell just happened?! Okay check the human suit: bones are intact, in place, and contained. Good. Stop my watch. (Hey it was a good ride!) Okay what's missing skin: Fingers, palms, left- knee, back, shoulder, left arm, left-ankle. I'm bloody, in pain, but actually amazingly intact. Okay thats good. Bike? Bike looks good, brake levers are scraped, frame is good, wheels are true, but there is a ton of blood on the drive train, what the hell? So I look back up the road, and there, in the shoulder, about 30 feet away, is a very dead raccoon about the size of a pit bull. Now I had just looked several times before crashing, and as far as I remember that raccoon was not there, so did I miss a huge pile of road kill taking up the entire shoulder, or did that poor little guy just commit suicide by broadsiding me as I rode by? I guess either is possible, but I had no interest in walking back to find out. I just know its going to be very hard to want to stay aero for the next few rides. 

• Options

Glad that you are OK.  Our own Al Truscott had a serious crash in which he had to have major reconstruction of his jaw.  He is on the mend and back to RACING IM AZ after going through the motions in IM CDA.  A biker friend of mine had his head down and rode into a truck and broke his neck,  He had a "halo" for several months.  

Just reminds me that to get to the start line of an IM, you have to dedication, family support, drive, and some LUCK.  Everyone be safe out there.

• Options
    Wow Rian, that was some crash! So glad to hear you are ok and healing.
  • Options
    Curious, anybody doing the optional BTW in place of scheduled training this week? If so I would be interested in any feedback. I am planning on doing it in week 12 and ending it with the auqabike at Redman.
  • Options
    Another Sunday morning group ocean swim; 1.5 miles. Comfort in the water growing weekly.
  • Options
    Ironman Wisconsin
  • Options
    Rian, Rian, Rian ... scary, so glad you're basically safe and sound. Too bad about Rocky, though. I myself never saw (just heard the crunch) of the pick-up I hit @ 25+ mph, head down, a few minutes into a 20 minute FT interval. But that was three years ago, stayed safe since. Oh, and I moved my PM head unit farther forward by my hands on the aerobars.
  • Options
    Wow Rian-glad you are OK. That was quite an accident! I am such a wimp outdoors that if I am serious about the prescribed wko's I do them on the trainer. The best I can do outside is ride with people faster than me and make them ABP rides.

@David-I can only wish swimming will ever be comfortable!

@Steve-I didn't do a BTW last week but I made Monday (day off work) big training day-did thurs long run that day followed by 1 hr swim, 2 hr bike. I felt the fatigue on the bike the rest of the week. My legs were jello on the drainer wed. Went out of town thurs am (so day off, hence long run mon), returning last PM. Lovely run in Central Park, Manhatten NY Friday. Did all the weekend rides on the drainer last PM and today. I couldn't believe how hard it was to keep 80%. Only wko I missed was friday swim. 5.5 hours on the drainer means I finally finished the last season of the Tudors-hmmm, what to start next?

• Options
    Thank you Betsy!! Thank you!! I'm the same, a big huge wimp outside when I ride myself (too many crashes have left me very hesitant to push on solo training rides). I would rather do 4 hrs exactly as the plan says on my trainer than to risk it outside solo. I too save my long rides with groups and consider them ABP. Hopefully this won't come back to bite me in the arse at IMAZ.
  • Options

@David -- Man I'm jealous of those ocean swims you get to do. We spent a week in Ventura this summer, surfing and swimming. Loved it!

Good job on keeping on track everyone!

I dismantled, cleaned, and reassembled my tri-bike. Everything looks good except for bent skewer which I replaced, and new handle bar tape. Bonus that I lubed the BB and wheels so everything spins smooth and quiet now! Did not go on the long sat ride, but did do 2.5 hrs on the trainer sunday to ease back in with a mix of z2 and z3. It would have been difficult to do that on the road with my road rash making very uncomfortable to hold onto the bars in either aero or upright. Looks like I'll miss some more swim workouts till rash solidifies a bit more, so I'll run and bike this week. 

Be Safe! Have Fun!

• Options
    10 weeks to go and a lot of work to be done...why am I so nervous like it's tomorrow?!?!?
  • Options

Posted By Danielle Santucci on 09 Sep 2013 04:32 PM

10 weeks to go and a lot of work to be done...why am I so nervous like it's tomorrow?!?!?
    Now's the time to work on paying attention to process and not outcome. Ten weeks is PLENTY of time to get ready for an IM; do the work and you WILL be ready. For now, you should be focusing on each day's workout, one day at a time, giving that your full attention. Same as on race day, when at mile 20 of the bike, you are thinking of the next ten miles, not the run or the end of the race.
  • Options
    Thanks Al, I will definitely try to remain focused on the day....great advice!
  • Options
    Monday's are my long cycling day. Yesterday headed out for my route which I believe mirrors AZ course well and allows one to stay aero 98% of the time. Yesterday was a funk; went cycling but just felt weak and not strong. Rode about 75 miles but unfortunately the latter miles were those miles we have all likely experienced, but would rather avoid ---- suffering fatigue! My first bad cycling day in many months. I am happier now on Tuesday evening; went on a 75min tempo run after work and felt really good and strong. Strange how one day the body is very different from the yesterday body.

10 weeks or maybe 9 weeks to go! Keep the focus everyone; the next 7-8 weeks are critical.
  • Options
    Question for you veteran and WSM...next week is a testing week for me, is it a good idea to run the 5k test on a track or figure out a relatively flat 3.1 mile route? Additionally, can I perform my bike test on a trainer? I dont have a PM yet, so I will be racing IMAZ based on HR...hoping my Christmas gift this year will be a shiny new Stages PM image Thanks!
  • Options

Posted By Danielle Santucci on 12 Sep 2013 12:40 PM

Question for you veteran and WSM...next week is a testing week for me, is it a good idea to run the 5k test on a track or figure out a relatively flat 3.1 mile route? Additionally, can I perform my bike test on a trainer? I dont have a PM yet, so I will be racing IMAZ based on HR...hoping my Christmas gift this year will be a shiny new Stages PM Thanks!
    Do the 5K on the fastest course you can, and then do your intervals (1 mile x 2-3) on the same course. Do your bike test OUTSIDE!!!

• Options

Got it, thanks Al!