Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

2014 IM Lake Placid Official Introductory Thread

Welcome to the IM Lake Placid Sign In Thread!

Please use this thread to introduce yourself to your fellow teammates, telling us a little bit about you, your goals for the race, etc!

Comments

• Options
    There is a race in Lake Placid???
    WOW! When did they announce this event - sounds like a fun place to play :-)
  • Options
    I'm in.....4th IM, first following a formal training plan (EN). Have done IMAZ, IMFL and B2B so this is my first "hilly" IM. A little worried because of my size/weight, but at the same time I'm looking forward to getting out of the aero position a bunch to climb.

My IM times have gotten progressively worse from IMAZ so I'm hoping to change that around be in the 12's in IMLP. I won't be at the IMLP camp as it just wouldn't be fair to the family. I will be doing the Kinetic Half in May prior to IMLP.

Train hard everyone!
  • Options
    Uh oh, this means it's getting real! This will be my second Ironman, my first being IM Florida in 2012. Had a great experience there with EN. After hitting a deer on a training ride this past summer, and the ensuing shoulder surgery, I started the OS in November and am back in the game. I'm looking forward to drawing on the team mojo and having a great time in LP!
  • Options

I'm in too!!

This will be my first IM (full or half). Nervously excited. Goal is to finish with a smile on my face. 

Why Lake Placid? My son and I have been doing a father/son hockey camp in LP for about 6 years now. Just love the place, so why not start my new IM career there.

I will be at the EN LP training camp in June....and also studying the Lake Placid Training Ride DVD I received from my Secret Santa (thanks Kerrie!!).

• Options
    Hello everyone. This will be my second go at the race. Looking forward to the remainder of the training and the race. Last year was a huge eye opener for me. The crowds at this venue are like a Tour de France race. It is super motivating!
  • Options
    Well, I'm not "IN" but I'm volunteering so I can reg for 2015 so I'll be there!
  • Options
    Hello All,

I'm in as well. This will be my third Ironman, and my third IMLP. Keep going back, because Lake Placid is one of my favorite places. I ski there, when I can, and of course I love to do a little swimming, biking, and running up there as well. Looking forward to a fun year.
  • Options
    I'm am IN and so happy to know that you will all be there too! This will be my (and my wife too!) very first full distance IM and am beyond excited. I know that many of you are multiple Ironmen (and Ironwomen) and some of you have been to Placid before. From what I hear, some of you (Woody) are permanent fixtures of this race. I'm just happy to be doing this as it's always been a dream of mine that I never thought I could accomplish, until now.

I'm hoping to a enjoy the whole experience and although I may have some numbers in mind, I'd rather not mention them now - bad ju-ju. I'd rather focus on the ultimate prize, which will be crossing that finish line! Let's keep this thread going....
  • Options

Hi Everyone,

This is my first full IM and I am so excited to know that there will be so many friends on the course! I have been training up in LP over the last four years. My goal is to finish with a smile and to enjoy all of it 

• Options
    Hey,
    2014 be my Second IM at Lake Placid, and am also planning on attending the camp in June. Looking forward to seeing everyone there.
  • Options
    I'm in as well. :-) IMLP will be my first full IM. I'm a New Yorker temporarily banished to the wilds of Scandinavia so I figured a return to my roots was a good way to kick off my IM career. Only goal that I'm willing to say out loud is that I want to, like Mary, finish with a smile on my face.
  • Options
    Another volunteer here so I can enjoy the race and sign up for 2015 - That will be my 3rd go at IMLP.

I've got a grudge to settle - last year I had 5 flats on the first lap. Set me back 85 minutes total. I want REVENGE in 2015!
  • Options
    IMLP will be my first full. I spectated last year and was blown away by everything. I have spent a lot of time in Lake Placid (I used to Luge) so this felt like the right place for my first Ironman. I have ridden the course twice and ran it once so I have some familiarity with it, however it is still intimidating. I am doing the race as a fundraiser for the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation. My friend Jeanie is battling this incurable blood cancer and I am hopeful that the money raised will help find a cure. More info here: http://www.active.com/donate/14mmrfimlakeplacid/adventurelarry

--Larry
  • Options
     Going to by my first IM and I am PUMPED!!!! Excited to learn lots from this adventure and am so glad to have this site as a resource to learn from! On a side note my family and I are looking to spend a few days after the race doing some vacationing up near Lake Placid. . .  any suggestions on where to go/what to do? Ha, and maybe more importantly for the veterans, what should I not plan on doing because of how my body is going to feel after the race? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!
  • Options

I'm joining as part of the freshman class, first time to LP, first IM and currently the only tri I've ever signed up for.  I have big goals with a little bit of experience and even less equipment but the passion to strive. So far most of my training has been done old school style of “put your time in, check the box and move on”.  I've done all the components but never consecutively so this should be a real S!#^show for people to spectate.   Most of you have already  hit the nail on the head... I'm hoping EN and it's community can help shorten the learning curve so i can stop looking like this when i do races.... I'm looking forward to the working working and meeting everyone. Here's to a great year in LP.

• Options

@Bryan

Welcome to the EN Haus and the LP team.

As a fellow IMLP freshman, I highly recommend attending the LP Training Camp in June.

Bill

• Options
    @Bill thanks for the advice. I'm going to see if i can't make it happen.

@All, I live in Cherry NJ and would love some company on the long rides
  • Options

Well, I pulled the trigger on the IMLP Training camp. I am in and look forward to seeing everyone there. Can't wait to see Ray's new P5!

• Options

I'm in.  New to EN, just figuring everything out.  This will be my third IM (Texas 2012 & Florida 2013).  I train on FLAT ground and I'm interested to see how these mountain things I've read about are.  Training is starting late thanks to a foot injury suffered during Florida. Feels like I'm starting all over again.  Look forward to seeing y'all (you all) out there.  Thanks in advance to all the volunteers.  I volunteered in Florida 2012 to race in 2013, awesome day.

• Options
    @Ethan,  IMLP is very different from flatland riding. The course is impressive. A strong rider executing a good plan will still ride well.
  • Options
    Ill see you all there. IMLP will be my 2nd IM and 3rd Iron distance race. As long as life doesnt get in the way too much this season Im just just looking for a strong finish.
  • Options

@EC I would love to get some course input from you IMLP vets as we get closer. I was always doing IMC and I thought it was kind of tough because OF Richter and Yellow Lake at 90 miles but most people who did both races said IMLP was way tougher.

I bet since IMLP came on I have signed up for it no less than 7 times and never done it!!

• Options
    Ray -
    Between Lake Placid and Pentiction, I would have to say that LP is a more challenging course - run and bike. As I recall, the two major climbs in CA are longer, but not as steep, one loop and easier on the body/mind. In LP, the hills are shorter, but steeper (yeah, I know - that which goes up eventually goes down...) and you get to do 'em twice. The scenery on much of the in LP is tough to beat, IMHO. The run in LP also has shorter/steeper hills compared to CA (as I recall). I loved IM Canada, but IM LP is a special place and a great venue for an Ironman event!

Just my .02 cents...
  • Options

I live fairly close to Lake Placid and vacation there often. I have always managed to ride the course at least once a year even if we didn't vacation there. When you ride the course as it is setup, it is a mix of sheer terror going down Route 73 (5+ miles non-stop downhill), awesome time trial section and long tough climb. The coaches are dead on, if you don't ride the course correctly, it will hurt you. I get truly excited every time I think about it.

• Options

If I am ready shoulder wise I will do the camp with you guys. This is a course that could kill my marathon cause I have a really bad habit of pounding something like this. At IMC I was notorious for doing a 5:10 bike and the talking about the bike split with the other walkers in the marathon.

EC there are some rides here in North GA where I hit 50-55mph consistently but that is on a road bike pretty scary slammed forward on a tt bike.

Right now the only thing I could get was a camp ground do you guys know of a good place and is available. I don't like to sat in the fray but I don't want to be out of it either

• Options
    I will also be at LP training camp - with my wife (Non EN triathlete - maybe we'll convert her that weekend).

@Ray - we are staying at the Crowne Plaza, but of course we made this reservation months ago and I'd guess they are sold out by now. When I was there to volunteer last Summer, we stayed at the Olympic Training Facility. Very cost effective and fairly convenient. I'm happy to give anyone more details who asks about these accommodations! I'm still looking for a place for my Dad who decided he wants to be there to see us race...
  • Options

@Ray

I am also staying at the Crowne Plaza for IMLP.

When I booked last August, High Peaks had rooms - pricey. And the Hampton Inn too, but incredibly expensive and I think a 5 night minimum stay!! Golden Arrow Resort said they will be starting a waiting list in April.

For IMLP, this could be the year for you Ray. If the injuries fully heal, lots of newbie mojo and veteran experience to draw on.

~Bill

• Options
    @Bill I ll get spanked for asking this in this thread but did you get fitted first for your P5 before you built it. I am using the riser for the aero bars and it seems I have to take the entire front end apart now to take out some of the spacers. I couldn't have been designed any more ass backwards
  • Options
    Have you all ever rented a house there?
  • Options

A 3rd here at the Crowne Plaza.  It was there or an hour away in Burlington, VT (Burlington was about $900 cheaper for the weekend ) however I'm fairly certain my wife and 3.5 year old will be coming with me so for all us guys out there we know how little that $900 actually is from a non-monetary standpoint.  Staying in Lake Placid they'll have plenty to do race day and a place to walk back to in order to take a break if needed. Versus Burlington where there's nothing I'm sure. 

There is a slight chance they won't make the trip up with me in which case I'll put out a message to try and find someone to share the hotel in Lake Placid with.