Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

2014 IM Lake Placid Official Introductory Thread

Comments

• Options

@Ray.

Yes, I was fitted for my P5, and it was a two step build. I was fitted with the bike built up with everything except brake and shifter cables (SRAM group for me, Di2 did not fit into the budget).

Once fitted, the build was completed by cutting the brake and shifter cables to the proper length, and the stem was also cut based on my aero bar position. I went with a slightly lower mid position for the aero bars. My LBS has a couple of great fitters so I let them do their thing. My understanding is that lowering the aero bar position also requires the stem to be cut to measure.

We should start a P5 thread in the equipment forum to tap into JW and Dino's experience and expertise. Also sounds like there is a growing number of P5's in the Haus now.

~Bill

• Options
    I did it backwards so I have to break down the brakes. I think I know everything and never read directions!
  • Options

Would all the IMLP folks mind send me their home addresses? I have some awesome workout towels and water bottles I would like to send you all. I owned a healthcare consulting company that was a big sponsor in local bike rides so I have a bunch of give away stuff. The towels are just like the Gatorade bench towels ( made by the same manufacturer) and the bottles are trek. They all have the company logos on them but its free!!! My personal email is raybrown@mindspring.com.

I would love this to be a tight bond up to and beyond the race. Hope I am not being too pushy.  As a team we can be so strong to help even the newest person or the oldest like me! I need you guys to drive me past my injury to do this and you certainly can lean on me to tell you the stupid things I have done over the years that you should never ever consider doing.

I had no intentions of doing this race until I started reading what EC was saying about the race early on. Team stuff is a BIG deal!

• Options

@Ray

Me too. It's the XY chromosomes.

If you don't have it already, here is a link to the P5 manual. It's for the Di2 group, but still may be helpful:

http://www.cervelo.com/media/docs/P...836d-0.pdf

• Options
    Hey gang time to join the group. Been busy an all with X mas, holiday run challenge, NOS, and now my head turns toward IMLP 2014. Just a quick introductory of myself for those who don't know me. As my last name states I am married to your infamous popular race director and Ottawa sleeper cell. This is my 4 th year EN'er and my 5 th IMLP and 9 TH IM/ID. A few names on the thread have popped up Westy, Woody, and Antonia to name a few have completed this race and good to see them on the thread, they are a realm of info to draw from. So back to me 5 th kick IMLP . I get to LP a couple time's of year to train. Being only 3 hrs away so just a quick hop across the border on an early Saturday excursion to do some day training back home, beautiful area to see for sure. The EN camp is an invaluable tool to do before you do this course. Coach P has it down to a science as they say,so if you have the opportunity.... ! Myself I know this course and how to approach it down quite well but probably not as good as Woody right . The swim Mirrow Lake mountain water, nuff said there,only one polluntant triathlon pee. Bike course only two way's to ride 1) Right 2) Wrong, you will only notice 2). Scenery and terrain keep you engaged constantly. The run 2 looper and again my favorite IM run with fans, scenery, inclines, rolling hills and 2 nice steep hills to engage. Finally the finish area around the oval is a nice touch you will savoir when you enter and know you are about to become an IMLP IM'er. This is the only finish line that gives me goose bumps when I am in the last 400 meters. Okay nuff said there I will be busy on this thread. As the weather get's warmer because I tend to go to LP alot I will try to post a week before any planned trg and if anyone can well lets do it. If you need info on food, housing, logistics etc no problem leave a line. To all have a great day ! Check this out,see below ! Innaugral Race 1999 -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00SxbVBHtsw
  • Options

Ray, I rent in Lake Placid Yearly. We are staying in a house off of River road (Run Course) this year. I look forward to talking to you about your crash, injury and recovery. I was hit by a van in 2008. Tore apart my left shoulder and broke my ankle. Took me two years to start getting back to real training. As far as downhill speed, I don't have a whole lot of daring anymore. I was cruising down the mountain last year with my brakes on at 40 mph when I got past by a pro fully in the aero position and easily doing 60 mph. I will never be able to ride like that. 

• Options
    @EC I will see if I can snag anything. thanks for your help. Really looking forward to meeting you.
  • Options

For anyone who has not trained in Lake Placid, it is an intoxicating environment. No matter when you are there, people are training. There are hard core athletes from all areas of sport. There is always a bike on the course and people are running everywhere. The most enjoyable training I find is swimming.The water on its roughest day is not more than a six inch chop. There are no motor boats. The lines and buoys for the Kayak lane markers are in early. Last year, WTC introduced the swim safe initiative and caused some confusion. I had more than one mid swim collisions when people were swimming the opposite direction. The swim used to follow a counter clockwise course. Now we go clockwise. They also introduce the "Pro" lane for the second loop. as it turns out, it was only the Andy Potts lane. My family told me that they did not see any of the other pros in the lane. By the time I got in the water for my first lap,  Andy was a few hundred meters from completing his first lap. I would like to say that's because it took so long to get in the water. However, I was in the water within 5 minutes of the Age Group Start. Man is he fast! I will say that it was a nicer race for me than Andy. I had lots of people to talk to all through the bike and run. My family told me that Andy was alone the entire race.

• Options
    Keep the info coming EC! I really appreciate it.
  • Options
    Hi there all. I'm new to EN. Lake Placid will be my first Ironman. I can't make it to the training camp, but am looking forward to meeting all of you there.

Couple of questions for the group: I haven't booked accommodations. Any suggestions on whether to stay in Lake Placid or stay some distance away? I'm hoping to find a house or condo to rent. My parents and son are coming with me. My wife and daughters are still undecided about joining me. So I want to make it as convenient for them as possible.

Next: how will I feel in the days after the race? We are planning to drive from Nashville. Generally speaking, are most people ok to drive the day after a race? I've generally found that after a HIM I'm good to drive about 4 hours the same day, and good to go the next day.

Thanks to all, and be safe training out there!
  • Options

@ Matthew, Lodging in the village fills up very quickly. Try two sites VRBO & www.adkbyowner.com/ It is easier to get back to your lodging if you stay on the Saranac side of the village. The race take place on the other. The normal lodging prices are much higher for this week so don't be too shocked.

• Options
    @Matthew....TOTALLY what Edwin gave you. After reading this make it your job to find out where you are staying.....lots of the hotels in town are booked the day of the race, a year in advance. Keep looking.
    You can try here http://www.adirondackestates.com/rentals/search CALL them they have an 800#, maybe there is something they have access to that is not on their site, and at a minimum at least point you in the right direction to find something.

Lastly you can try to call the Crowne Plaza....It was not cheap but at this point most of the places will already be full, I stayed there in 2013 and it was very close to everything, and the restaurant there had a nice breakfast. http://www.lakeplacidcp.com/

Good luck.
  • Options
    Im yet to secure a hotel also. Anyone interested in splitting a room let me know.
  • Options
    Hey all this will be my third ironman first time doing IMLP. When i first moved to America this is where i lived, so this will feel like a home coming. Also a group have a house rented and we are looking for one more person to take the last bed. The cost will be $437.50 Thursday-Tuesday. The rental is adjacent to the lake, so very convenient when you are dragging your ass home after finishing IMLP. Please contact me @ sshurey@me.com if you are need or are interested.
  • Options
    As Simon said one bed to go and you will be immersed with the Ottawa Sleeper Cell. We are a good respectful crew. This is the third time we have done this at an IM and it has enhanced our IM team weekend experience. PS Simon may live in Nantucket but he is one of us !

• Options
    Update on the bed it is officially been taken. Thanks Steve
  • Options
    Hello all,

This will be my 3rd IM, and second time in LP. I have something to prove to myself on this return to the course. This place just has an energy and feel about it that can't be explained,has to be experienced. I foresee myself coming back here many times over. Looking forward to the camp and meeting fellow team mates race weekend.

Natalie
  • Options
    I am in for my second IM and hoping the more temperate climate will make for a much happier experience than IMTX in 2012. Going with my brother and new EN'er Ethan, who will be crushing the bike. Wish we could make the training camp but know we would both appreciate any tips we can get on training on the flats (our trainign ride does have a couple of 5' elevations for pipes running under the Mississippi river bike trail we train on- think that will be sufficient?). My wife says this is my last IM but she said that last time...
  • Options
    And on that flatland note, I've been racing on 808 carbon clinchers for all our flat races.  Anyone foresee braking issues?  I have no idea how they will act going downhill, especially if wet.  Thanks!
  • Options

@Ethan As long as you have the correct brake pads on your zipps you should be a ok. I ride in the mountains all the time and never ever had trouble with the wheels heating up and trying to slow my big butt down. When it rains it is an entirely  different situations on any bike. White knuckle on descents!

• Options

@H Brothers

A good hill simulation workout is a big gear constant spin (75 -85 cad) at a high resistance on the trainer. You may even want to raise the front of the bike up on telephone books or something to simulate the ascent of the hill. Do these seated though. Standing particularly in an IM is a sure way to burn your precious matches.

You guys are also welcome to come here to Atlanta and do some great rides in the North GA mountains. I would be happy to host you.

• Options

For those looking for accommodations I've booked in the past with availability later.  They also have a couple houses for rent depending upon your price point.  There is the typical 4or 5 to 7 day minimum reservations depening on the room/house.  Check out: http://www.placidbay.com/

Also while I know this won't help with anxitey rooms are usually available on the days around the refund in June.  I'd suggest calling around then as well to see what you can find. 

After losing my job and pulling the pin on last years IMLP.  I'll be back to volunteer if I meet my weight loss goal.  If I don't meet it I don't get to sign up.  <200lbs will get me there with the privisal of finding a reasonably priced flight, so the sooner the better.  I've got a long way to go @ 241lbs as we speak.  Yes I ate too much and trained very little from July through December.</p>

• Options
    Hello all....a little late to the thread, but glad to be involved. I am new to team en this year, and to the ironman distance race scene. I have done lots of bike racing, ultra-running and shorter tri's up to this point. I am very excited to be with team en and also equally excited to test my skills out at imlp this coming July. I was a part of the NOS which went ok...a few bumps in the road with illness towards the end. Looking forward to using this thread from now until the race to learn and share experiences.

Pete
  • Options

Welcome to the IMLP group! The race is awesome. The course is a test for all levels of Triathlete. Andy Potts commented on that last year. The bike course has an almost Tour de France atmosphere.You are going to have a great experience.

• Options

I am also a little late to this thread, but I am happy to be here!  I am new to the team this year and to the IM distance as well. This will be my first full distance. I went to watch IMLP last year with a few friends (and to cheer on my friend Chris, who is an EN member and the one who brought me here!), and it was a life changing experience.  Experienced so many different emotions just by cheering these athletes on for the entire day.  The venue is absolutely incredible and I cannot wait to experience this race myself.  I am very excited to share this experience with such an amazing team. I truly look forward to hearing  about everyone’s training, experiences, thoughts, questions, and MOJO!! I am still not sure if I will be able to make it to camp. I know I cannot come up Thursday but my come Friday night. I am a teacher, and we will still be in school at that point because of the last couple of snow days....UGH.  District policy says you can't take these last few days off, plus I wouldn't want to do that to my kiddos.  Anyways, my goal is to stay connected to all of you as I know it will help me reach my ultimate goal….to finish IMLP.    

@ those looking for lodging. I have a few friends who are also doing the race so we rented a condo through this site. http://lakeplacidcondos.com/  If you could find a few people to split with it wouldn’t be too bad! Not sure what they have left though, but they were great to work with.

@ EC- Thank you for all the information!!!

@ Ray B- I was just reviewing the earlier posts and it said to send you our addresses to sent some stuff (SO THOUGHTFUL OF YOU!!) but I am so late, are you still looking for our addresses?

• Options

I heard finding lodging (particularly for a family) was possbly more difficult than completing the course so I booked a back up plan.  Now, we have finally found a house that will fit the whole family so my back up plan is available if anyone is interested.  It is the Catamount Cottage at the North Pole resort. Has a 4 night minimum and 2 night non-refundable deposit.  

"
    Catamount Cottage

This cottage was designed by Cabela's and has a sunken master bedroom with a queen bed and beautiful Adirondack quilt. The main area of the cottage is open to a cathedral ceiling and has a full kitchen and dining area with cedar log furniture. The kitchen is fully stocked with pots, pans, dishes, glassware and utensils. Linens and towels are provided for the bedroom and futon (double bed). Please bring your own pool towels. There is a full bathroom as well. A staircase goes up to two carpeted sleeping lofts. Just bring sleeping bags and pillows and you are all set! Cable TVs (2), air conditioning (summer), heat (fall/spring & winter), and wireless internet are provided. Outside your cottage there is a deck with 2 cedar log chairs and a snack table.  A picnic table, barbecue grill and campfire ring are also there for your enjoyment. This cottage can sleep up to 6 people, with a maximum of 4 adults. It is non-smoking and pets are not permitted.

- See more at: http://www.northpoleresorts.com/cottages/catamount-cottage/#sthash.rLjxnCFj.dpuf

Please message me if interested.  THANKS!

• Options

Crickets are chirping in here..........5 months out and counting

What's everyone got planned this weekend in terms of workouts?  

• Options

@Lance, I am following the Run focus plan. So, Saturday is my long run day and Sunday is my Long bike. The bike will be inside and the run depends on the weather. (Upstate NY)

• Options
    In the Get Faster Plan now. Will roll from that to HIM plan and then to IM plan. Just trying to keep my head dons and stick to the plans and not get my self nervous about Placid.