Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

2014 IM Arizona Official Introductory Thread

Welcome to the IM Arizona Sign In Thread!

Please use this thread to introduce yourself to your fellow teammates, telling us a little bit about you, your goals for the race, etc!

Comments

• Options
    IN! If all goes well this will be #2 for 2014.
  • Options
    Hi all! I'm a local and 2014 will be #3 for me. Looking to work hard this year and PR again-65 min PR 2013 over 2012!
    I am aging in my 55-59 yo group (58 this year) so need to take another 90 min off my time to beat the 55yo-but when I hit 60 I plan to win my age group!
    I live in Scottadale with husband Ron who is not a triathlete-more of a crossfitter, son and 3 dogs(all of whom want to be #1 running pal). We have an active Triathelon community with two local clubs coming in 2nd and 3rd in division two for 2013. I work full time as an anesthesiologist and training is my second job. I will do local olys this year, swim in TTL at the spring and fall splash and dash series (we had two 4k swims the month before 2013 AZIM), and try to be my best 11-14 for the race.
  • Options
    Hi! I signed up for IMAZ for 2014, and this will be my third IM. Haven't done an IM since 2011 so it will be interesting getting back into long course training. I am hoping that I can better my last time for IMAZ and hope the more targeted approach in using EN and it's resources will help.
  • Options
    IM AZ will be my A++ race for 2014. I've done the Nov races 2008, 09, 10 (DNS but went anyway), 2011, and 2013. It's my favorite IM course, and I intend it to be a spectacular exclamation point at the end of my "age-up" season. My times there have been 10:52, 10:56, 11:25, and 11:19. I'm shooting for 11:0X this year.
  • Options
    @Al I know its not the place to ask but I will anyway. Are they changing the bike course?
  • Options

Ray, this forum is absolutely the best place for that ...

I'm not linked in to the rumor mill; I haven't heard or seen anything about any changes, but I really don't pay attention to that race until, say, September. ENer Betsy Kantor is a local Phonecian, who would probably hear about any of that stuff.

• Options
    @Al On Slow twitch they were saying that the Bee line part was likely going to be scrapped. Some person tied into Tempe said there would be significant changes. Just curious. Seems weird that they would not announce it at registration. I heard it was going to be significantly more difficult because the route would go to the foothills.
  • Options
    My understanding is that the bike route will change. Word is that negotiations with the native reservation have become too difficult requiring a re route. I've heard what they are looking at will be a two loop route but I do not know route specifics
  • Options

I am in for IMAZ for my 10.5th IM. I did IMAZ in 2009 with  an 11:31 on the snozola. I did the trifecta that year. IMLV, Kona, IMAZ. All in the span of 78 days I think. In 2010 I was run over by a course marshal in Hawaii just outside Hawi and I haven't been able to do anything since due to the injuries I sustained.

I am hoping and doing a lot of praying that this is the year I can do long distance tri again. I LOVE IMAZ

• Options

Personally, I'd see that as a plus. I live and train all the time in hills/mountains. I've done VERY well on the IM CDA course, which has a lot of elevation change in it. And some climbing would help with the bike packs which can form there. Hills always favor a smart EN racer.

I like the single loop swim, the run on paths around the river with ease of spectator viewing, the compact transition area, and the weather. A flat bike course is actually somewhat boring, IMO.

• Options
    I have an email in to a WTC bud but I don't know if he will say anything. I will let you all know if he does.
  • Options

@Al

I will give you the ultimate in boring! There is a road here in Atlanta called Columns Drive. 2.5 miles long and flat as a pool table. All the tri folks train there because there is a park at one of the ends.  I have done 160 miles on that 2.5 mile road at one time as well as probably 10 100 mile rides. It is one of the few safe places to ride in Atlanta. I try not to even think about laps when I start.

• Options
    As Jason said, the word is the bike course is changing for the reasons he stated. No updates yet that I have heard of
  • Options
    I'm in 2014.  It will be my 5th IM and my 2nd in 2014 (doing IMMT in Aug 2014).  I'm aging up to 60-64 so I'm going to see what I can do.  BTW, I love multiple loop courses.
  • Options

I am in.  First IM distance after 4 HIMs (2 complete, 2 pending).  See you there!

• Options
    @Richard How skinny by race day? You still amaze me.
  • Options

Thanks Ray!  200 is the goal but I'm not too stressed.  I've been stuck between 220-225 for about a year and I decided to take some pressure off myself.  It helps that my first OS has made me faster and stronger even at my current weight.

• Options

I lead a Corp Finance organization in a Dallas Texas company during the day.  I am 47, divorced and have 4 kids, 14,12,10,10 and spend my free time either with them or training for tri....

I am a slow swimmer, good biker and ok runner........

Hope to meet you all at camp!

• Options

IMAZ folks,

My friend from WTC said no decision has been made regarding a potential  bike course change. Just an FYI no news really but I said I would let you know.

• Options
    I am in on this, will be my 5th IM (assuming i finish Mont Tremblant in august) and my 3rd time in AZ. Looking forward to good mojo. any new word on the bike course?
  • Options
    I'm in for Arizona in 2014. This will be my second Ironman. I did Wisconsin in 2012, wiped out on the bike, lost 30 to 40 minutes, and finished just under 13:00. Hoping for a better experience with all of you this November. Looking to go under 12:00.
  • Options

I'm racing AZ this year.  It will be my first full IM.  I'm looking forward to the EN Team experience and guidance!

I volunteered as a swim spotter to earn my place in line at 4am for onsite reg.  Great to see the swim from water level.  Was out on the run course from 10pm to midnight cheering the athletes in.  Cannot wait to get out there and go.  Registration was also a great experience, getting to know the other athletes in line.  You know you are with your people when standing in line for 5 hours is actually a blast and the time flies by.

I did an outseason plan, and I've been using the EN Ironman training plan, mainly as a base builder.  Watching the calendar to start the official 24 week program.  Racing a couple of HIMs for rehearsal and repetition, including Vegas 70.3.

I'm in Southern California in Orange County, and I'll be out on the Santa Ana River trail most every weekend between now and November if anyone wants to join!

• Options
    Hey Betsy glad to meet ya, im a local  from FH just up the hill, im on year 4 for IMAZ. a ONE multisport member
  • Options

I am in for 2014. Did not know the bike course would change. I am kinda bummed about that, since IMAZ 2010 was my first IM. I was hoping to go back and see how much better I could do 4 IM's later. I am originally from the Phoenix area but have not lived there since 1996. All my family is still there. Special place in my heart being my hometown and 1st IM.

• Options
    I'm in for my first IM distance! Also doing 1st 70.3 this weekend as a tune up. Is there an IMAZ camp? Look forward to seeing you all there.

Cheers
  • Options
    In for number 2!! First IM was IMCDA and used EN and was absolutely ecstatic with the results. 12:35! Looking to improve to an 11:30 but looks like the possibility of a change in the bike course may add a few minutes. That's okay, just like the coaches said last time, race day is a breeze!! Time to put some work in!
  • Options
    Hi all!
    Just wanted to let you know about the local training opportunity if you are able to make a second (or third) trip to the valley.
    Local Tri coach, Tim Bolen, puts on two supported rides on the course (still to be determined, rumors Abound). This year is Saturday 9/25 and Sunday 10/26. They don't exactly coincide with the 100 mile days on the schedule. The cost is $20 apiece and sign up is on his website:
    Excel and beyond@yahoo.com.
    There are easily 50 people out there on these days.

@Josiah-this is probably the closest thing to IMAZ camp as we all run part of the course around the lake after. Unfortunately. You can only swim in tempe town lake in sanctioned events. The Saturday before IMAZ there is always a 4000m splash n dash, the last of four in the fall series, and on Sunday the Phoenix swim club holds their last race as well that includes the 4000 distance.
  • Options
    Clarification about splash n dash-Saturday a week before AZIM 11/8
  • Options
    I will be there for the 10/26 ride. It is a good opportunity to tide the course.
  • Options
    I will be there for the 10/26 ride. It is a good opportunity to tide the course.