Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

2014 IM Arizona Official Introductory Thread

Comments

• Options
    @Dave-look forward to seeing you! Let's do early dinner on the 25th-and anybody else who is in town.
  • Options
    emails that have been sent to WTC indicate no change to the course this year, however that could change if the money agreement with the indian reservation breaks down.  any part of the bline hwy would have to go through the reservation.  a urban course may be just as expensive. this conversation has been kicking around for the last few years as the price of using the bline continues to increase. the section of hwy between mcdowell rd and just past gilbert rd on the bline is reservation property.  if the route continued up the bline to usery pass area, both salt river and ft mcdowell reservations would come into play. alternatives would then been Tempe through Mesa an urban route.  If your not from here google map the course and surrounding areas and you can see the dilemma that WTC has to revamp the course. 
  • Options

Good update Paul. Thanks. I was just wondering if any changes were going to happen this year. I really hope for continuity they can keep the course the same. 

• Options
    Yes thanks for that update Paul!
  • Options
    Does anyone know what time volunteer registration opens tomorrow? Any suggestions for what to volunteer for? Do you to choose?
  • Options
    Kevin-I have no idea what time it opens. You do get to choose however. 2011 I did run station by Papago park from 2-4 but stayed several more hours as it was fun. That's an easy walk from the finish. The head of rec at ASU ran it and she had A BBQ going for us to chow. I saw lots of ENers. Also popular is the finish line-giving medals, Etc. That fills quickly. The bike stations are far out and I'm not sure if you have to drive (ie, move car). I don't know NYC about the water area. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    Not sure about times, but when I did it a few years ago run aid #1 was a blast. Great group who puts it on every year. I took an early slot and got to see all the pros and top AG folks come through. If I did it again I'd do bag/bike check the day before, or maybe finish catcher day of. My $.02
  • Options
    Thanks Rian - the website crashed for a while but we got Run#1. Looking forward to cheering everyone on and competing in 2015!
  • Options
    Thank you. I plan on getting there for this!image
  • Options
    Betsy: I just realized they moved the ride in October to Sunday. It has always been Saturday before. Do you know why? I may still have to do Saturday as we fly home Sunday afternoon.
  • Options
    IMAZ will be my first IM. A little nervous but confident I will finish....just not entirely sure how well I will finish. Looking forward to meeting other IMAZ athletes. Living in Oregon we have beautiful routes to run, ride and lots of open water for swimming.
  • Options

Can't remember if I introduced myself here or not….

Im Rian. I live in AZ, but up north in Flagstaff which is in the mountains @ 7000'. You'll hear me complain about snow on Thurs AM long run at some point I'm sure, but generally there are few places nicer to train for triathlon than here. This is my 4th IM and 3rd time back at IMAZ. Some folks I've had the pleasure of racing with each time, so its great to be reconnecting with you all, and I'm looking forward to training and racing with all the new-to-me ENers on board for IMAZ this year!

• Options
    Hi All,

I'm Clark and IMAZ will be my third IM (IMTX 2013 & 2014). I live in Pittsburgh, PA, but have lots of friends and family in the Phoenix area so this will seem like a local race to me.

Can't wait to get to know you all better over the next 13 weeks.
  • Options

I'm in for th 10/26 ride, flying in from Sacramento. Count me in for dinner ; Thai or Italian would be fun carb loading options. 

• Options

Any suggestions on what day to fly in for IMAZ '14? Getting some "feedback" on kids missing Fri & Mon from school. Do want to meet EN team and get to the expo. Any thoughts from veterans?

• Options
    You can not register on Saturday, you must be there ... At expo...by 4 pm Friday. And leaving on Sunday is pretty much impossible. So Fri-Mon is the minimum. I usually arrive Wed or Thurs AM at the latest. But I have no job or kids in school any more! I have done several IMs, incl Az, where my wife would arrive FRI PM after I got there Wed. PHX airport is about ten minutes from Tempe, so driving there Fri night or even Sat AM to pick up your late arriving family is not that big a deal. Being able to ride a portion of the course on Thurs or Fri AM IS very helpful if you are unfamiliar with it.
  • Options
    Hi
    I'm Vicki and this will be my first full IM. I signed up to celebrate turning 50 this year. I've done 2 halfs.
    I have 3 kids: 24, 23 and 4! 24 year old is teaching kindergarten and 4 year old is starting transitional kindergarten this year. I'm a scientist by day so I like all of the nerdy numbers that show that even though I'm slow, I'm a faster version of slow since joining EN! image
    Planning to arrive Thursday morning and I guess I'll be checking out the bike course. Hoping that the water temp will not be too low. I have booties but have not found a good neoprene hat.
    Looking forward to meeting everyone!
  • Options
    Hi Vicki, welcome. I have done several cold I'M races. I have not found that Arizona is cold enough to require neoprene hat, but YMTV. If possible, try avoid booties, they will slow you down quite a bit. Even at St. George a couple years ago with Temps in the 50's most people see without them. You can check that out pretty race. Good luck.
  • Options
    @Joseph-I'm local so can't be much help. Listen to Al!

@Vicki-I agree with David that Booties are unnecessary. However, I love my blue seventy neoprene cap under my regular cap. I've always worn it for our 4k splash n dash the week before and IM
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice on the booties and hat. The cove where I swim gets pretty cold that time of year (50-55) so I'm hoping I will be able to get acclimated. I've lost one of my booties anyway. My husband will be very happy that I can forgo the expense of buying another pair image
  • Options
    Hello Everyone,

I'm Dan and IMAZ will be my first 140.6. I feel fortunate that I've hooked up with EN and all of you fine folks so early in my triathalon time line. My day job is as a family medicine doc working with the Indian Health Service. I held off of tri's for the longest time, mostly because I'm an adult onset swimmer, picking that up only a year ago, so you know where most of my anxiety lies. I look forward to meeting all of you in this process. -Dan
  • Options
    Hey all you AZIMers!!

Nobody else volunteered so I am officially your 2014 Race Captain (veteran as I was also 2013 captain.)

Look for my post on the dashboard to rally forth anybody who hasn't been on the weekly thread.

Shaugn, one of my responsibilities is the weekly thread. However, you have masterfully started it and your first post said you have taken on that responsibility so I name you my first assistant in charge of the weekly 'road to AZIM 2014 ' thread. I will help you, as captain, to keep the mojo high!

Lets start talking about team dinner. The last 3 years I have been involved it has been on Thursday night before the event. Friday night is the welcome dinner at tempe lake park, where we get the inspirational video and Mike Riley presentation and saturday night we are supposed to be resting/feet up/bed early. We usually have a good group on Thursday but I know not everybody makes into town in time to attend. We had it last year at Bucca di Beppo, Old Town Scottsdale, just up the road from Tempe, and had a nice carb spread for about $25. Coach Rich votes to have it there again. There are other options I could tell you all about. Monti's on the corner of Mill & Rio Salado (finish line) is where we had it previously, but they host the Friday night dinner, food is 'so so', so I say change it up. Thoughts?

We always have 4 keys talk Friday Am by the lake. We could talk about planning after talk lunch, reconnaissance rides on the Beeline,r travel to one of our other reservoir 'ponds' for an open water swim, or run along the Arizona 'canal'. The only sanctioned swim in TTL will be saturday AM .

And last, camp weekend. I believe (but couldn't find Shaughn's post) we are thinking about the last weekend in October when Excel and Beyond sponsors the supported ride on the Beeline. I know David Ware will be in town, and probably Rian. Anybody else planning on coming to town that weekend??

Almost through week 9!!!

• Options

Betsy...thanks for being our race captain.

Count me in for the Thursday team dinner.  You name the time and place and I'll be there.  Bucca di Beppo sounds to me. I'll come to the 4 keys talk and the Saturday sanctioned swim.  I won't make it to the camp.

• Options

Hi Betsy- Yes, thank you for being the team captain. I'm in for the race week events starting w/ dinner on Thur. Buca sounds fine to me. Also in for "camp" week. At this point I booked travel in on Sat, Sun ride, out Mon. Are you planning on adding to the ride itself?

Thanks!

• Options
    Thurs dinner is OK, but lunch after four keys might draw a bigger crowd? Worth considering.

I will be riding Beeline around noon on THURS. Its what I do.

Im still considering going to PHX for Oct 26 weekend, but that may depend on how much traveling Im willing to do. Today, DEN-SEA, anothe round trip in Sept, then HI in Oct. i feel like a vagabond.
  • Options
    Lunch after 4 keys or dinner thrs, I like the Scottsdale idea personally
  • Options
    Thinking about the Camp week Oct. 26 but the previous weekend would work better for me. Dinner or lunch where/whenever. Race week I plan on arriving Thur. morning and would love to ride the course with someone, but we have time to decide that later.
  • Options

Hi team,

Introducing myself, I am Gabe Peterson and live in Monrovia, CA (famous for also being the home town of Coach Rich).  IMAZ will be my first full distance ironman.  In fact, I wasn't planning on doing it until last week when an opportunity to get a slot came up.  I tried to sign up when registration opened online last year with no luck, so I am super stoked to have this race on my calendar!

I've done two half-ironmans and two Olympics, after catching the triathlon bug last year.  I joined EN in May after finishing St George 70.3.  I am doing Malibu Olympic and SuperFrog HIM as part of my ramp up to IMAZ.

I would be interested in doing a camp sometime in October -- sounds like Oct 26th is the date everyone is converging on.  I'll have to get clearance for the boss -- I think I spent all my SAU to get her to agree to IMAZ.

I am looking forward to meeting and racing with the EN team!

• Options

My plan is to arrive Thurs afternoon and attend the team meal whenever it is planned.  I will work the schedule around that.

Will try to make the camp date of 10/26 if that is going to be the biggest turnout.  Would like to bike Fri and Sat then run long Sun a.m. before leaving if possible.........maybe brick off the bike a little Fri?

• Options
    I have tentative hold on Buca Di Bepo Scottsdale for 6pm thurs night -11/13. Menus are coming soon so we can vote on it. They are also open for the group room Friday for lunch and menus 11-3 are cheaper of course.

@Mary-I am available thurs to ride for sure!

As for 10/26 camp: the reason that weekend stuck is the locally supported ride by excel and beyond. Sadly, that is Sunday, not Saturday. That being said, since most of us practice our own nutrition (and wouldn't be taking advantage of all their junk food) no reason we can't set up coolers at the usual two spots on Beeline and make long ride on Saturday work for us. I believe David Ware already has plane tickets for that weekend. However, since we would be supporting our own long ride we could see if another weekend works better for everyone. (I'm here every weekend).

As for long run, I will suggest the canal as opposed to the course. It's all flat anyway. The canal (would start in old Scottsdale and head west) has many more opportunities for water and bathrooms. And is used heavily in the community by runners. And lot of it is on soft ground, not pavement. We head west and can go as far as u want-easily 10 mi out then back)

Thoughts??!