Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

2014 IM Arizona Official Introductory Thread

Comments

• Options

Marc,

I live in South Orange County as well and need to get out on some long rides. Santa Ana trail sounds good. Let me know by sending me a message. I have done IMAZ before. I think you are in Mission Viejo, I am in Coto.

Thnaks,

JN

• Options
    Betsy- Thanks for being team captain.

I get in at 5:30 on Thursday because we can't leave until my kids get out of school. So, I may be able to show up later and say hey at the end of dinner. A Friday lunch would be great!

Thanks,

Peter
  • Options
    Barbara and I arrive early evening Friday. I am planning on riding Saturday as we have done in the past. I will miss the support (I had Multiple flats last year and they saved me) but I cannot stick around that long on Sunday. I Amy be able to start with others and just do a short ride. I am guessing that I will barely be running by then so not really putting that into the plan. Would love to have. I pant for the Saturday ride.
  • Options
    "Company" not I plant. Silly spell check.
  • Options
    Just volunteering this year. Kayak and run station.

See you soonish.
  • Options
    Team-
    I like the idea of creating our own on-site camp weekend. Given we're not tied to 10/26 (Sunday) Excel & Beyond ride, what about syncing camp week with our training plan? I bought plane tickets for 10/26 but am willing to exchange them to stay on schedule. That would mean meeting up in PHX 10/10 (or 10/9 to swim) through - 10/12. What are everyone's thoughts?

Cheers Joe
  • Options

Posted By Josiah Garrison on 02 Sep 2014 06:55 PM

Team-

I like the idea of creating our own on-site camp weekend. Given we're not tied to 10/26 (Sunday) Excel & Beyond ride, what about syncing camp week with our training plan? I bought plane tickets for 10/26 but am willing to exchange them to stay on schedule. That would mean meeting up in PHX 10/10 (or 10/9 to swim) through - 10/12. What are everyone's thoughts?

Cheers Joe

I'm not arguing against the idea - it makes good sense - but personally, I will not be able to be in PHX weekend of 10/10, and I will be able on 10/25

• Options
    I like the idea of doing the camp earlier in October, synced with the training schedule. It also gives sufficient time to make course corrections in your training based on the camp.

The weekend of Oct 26th is only 3 weeks before the race. If you realize, for example, your run needs some work there won't be much you can do about it that late in the game.
  • Options

Hey Everyone,

Some of us in San Diego are volunteering for 2014 and racing in 2015. We'll be cheering you on from the 1st run station. Anyone have any "special needs" from San Diego?

Do Great!

Kevin Miller

• Options
    Thanks Kevin! Be sure to wear a TJ band or something EN so we recognize you! Also, if you come into town early, there is team dinner Thursday night and Coach Rs 4keys talk Friday by the swim start.

My step daughter is a corpsman at Balboa naval hospital and used to live in El Cajon
  • Options
    I'm in for the dinner on Thursday. Can't make the camp though. I can't justify flying myself and my bike from Minnesota for the weekend. image
  • Options
    Hi All, I would like to get the discussion going about a potential camp week in AZ. I am very interested in coming into town for a weekend but have a few questions:

1 - Will we be able to swim in Tempe Town lake?
    2 - Is there a place close by that I could rent a TT bike?
    3 - My plan calls for final RR the weekend of Oct 25. Is this date the best for everyone?
    4 - Suggestions on a place to stay near where we would meet to ride?

Thanks
  • Options
    Mary-the consensus does seem to be the weekend of 10/25-26.

TTL- we can only swim in tempe town lake at sanctioned events so no that weekend. There are several other ponds we can drive to

Bike rental-yes. Landis bicycles for sure. Also try two Tri stores: Destination Kona and Tribe they
    Are closer to tempe
    Tempe hotels-I will get a list
  • Options
    As promised, tempe hotels:
    There are several within a mile or so of Rio Salado and Mill-the finish line and entrance to tempe beach park:
    Aloft Tempe
    Courtyard by Marriott Tempe
    Residence Inn Downtown tempe/university
    Tempe Mission Palms
    And if you want to spend a little more money, a few miles north is Old Scottsdale; The Phoenician is a lovely resort and little west is another one called the Palms
  • Options
    Team dinner announcement:

We will have group dinner at Buca Di Beppo thursday evening at 6pm:

Last year we had their 'Classico' meal for $25.98 ($32 with tax and tip, all the soda you want, alcohol extra): Childrens meal available for substantially less, I will have to check on exact price.

We get caesar salad and chicken limone.

Now I need to get a vote on pastas-we get to choose two:
    spaghetti-can be marinara or meat sauce
    fettucine alfredo
    cheese manicotti
    baked rigatoni
    penne basilica

and desert: vote for
    homemake cheesecake or chocolate chip cannoli

If there is interest, we cold plan breakfast before or lunch after 4 keys. About a mile away is Chompees NY deli - a phoenix area institution. You can get anything you want there. Carb breakfast, deli sandwiches- Portions are huge
  • Options
    @Gabe and Josiah-how do you two feel about the weekend of 10-25/26?

David Ware already has plans to be here for 10/25, Al has Kona earlier in the month so can't get To Phoenix any earlier. And Mary is interested in that weekend. It is the 2nd race rehearsal so should be a fine tuning weekend not your first rodeo. And the weather will definitely be cooler than earlier in the month!
  • Options
    I'm good with that weekend if that's the group consensus. It would be nice to know ASAP what days we plan to train and if we're still skipping the supported ride on Sun?
    I also need to check with coach P to see if a rookie like me should do camp weekend two weeks before and this weekend on site too, but that's a micro-thread question.
  • Options

Josiah, Oct 25/26 would best as Race Rehearsal #2  (a week early) not the long distance camp weekend. Yes its probably too close to do the big week that close. 

• Options
    Guys - coach P's Feedback on making a trip to AZ for camp:

"I have to say that training in AZ sucks big time. The course is highway to crappy road to big highway and back x3. Literally you can replicate AZ on a trainer and a treadmill. image

I'd rather you plan on your regular camp week to allow for adequate recovery and that you spend some time convincing your teammates to make a much, MUCH better investment of their time!!"

Based on his expert opinion, i'm now leaning toward skipping 10/25. Curious to hear other thoughts.
  • Options
    Josiah,

Have to agree with coach P. I live in Rescue, just up the road from you. I ride up auburn folsom road and around Loomis very regularly. I did AZ in 2010 and found I was very prepared with the kind of riding we do around here. The run in Az is mostly on concrete. I do the majority of my long runs on the AR bike trail. Glad they changed the run to two loops instead of three as the course gets a bit monotonous.
    We should be prepared if it is a hot IM day with the kind of weather we have been having here! I didy big day yesterday and had to jump in Lake Natoma half way through the run! That quick dip saved me!
  • Options
    Hi Jennifer - That heat was unreal for the big day yesterday! 98 for last hour of bike & run! I covered mostly the same ground. South on Aub/ Folsom to,South Canal down to 16 and east past Rancho Murietta and back. Then melting on the ART. That water looked SO good. I should have jumping in too! Let me know if u ever want company. Good job getting it done yesterday!!
  • Options
    @Jennifer and Josiah-fun to hear you talk about exactly where you are training-I lived there until '03
  • Options

@Betsy That is funny! I lived in the greater Phoenix area for most of my life until 1997. I guess we swapped places!

• Options
    Hi All!!!! Attention!!

Nobody has responded to my previous post about the dinner menu. If nobody weighs in, I will choose the menu, mostly what we did last year.

As for a breakfast Friday, the two places I checked (and prefer) don't have private rooms or take reservations but if there is a group interested I am sure we can get into either.
  • Options
    Hi Betsy
    Thanks for organizing everything for us! In case I have some nerves for my first IM maybe not two heavy dishes. Like Alfredo plus a heavy cheese dish not sit well with meimage Everything Sounds good. I'll be in for breakfast I think and a ride on Thursday although I think I'm much slower. I can at least start with everyone!
  • Options
    Breakfast sounds good !!!
  • Options
    Betsy...thx for organizing dinner.  I hope to be there as I fly in that day from Chicago.  Anything on the selection list works for me.  I'd probably have a little of everything.
  • Options
    Sounds good to me.
  • Options

Betsy - Thanks for organizing the dinner. Here are my votes (assuming you're still taking them)

Pasta - Spaghetti with marinara sauce & penne basilica (brocolli and chicken in a light pesto cream sauce)

Dessert - Chocolate chip cannoli.  You can get cheesecake anywhere 

I'd be in for breakfast too before the Four Keys talk as well. Is that on Sautrday befor the practice swim?!

I'm planning to ride a very easy loop on the B-line either Thursday or Friday if anyone cares to join me.

• Options
    Betsy, execute your executive powers & chooose the menu.
    Breakfast at chompees one day sounds awesome.
    are we going to organize a group ride?
    AL T I saw you said earlier that you will do a ride on thrs. I arrive at noon at PHX, give me til 2 to be ready? have to register and pick up bike at tbt, then straight to our hotel..