Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Chris Oubre's thread

Comments

• Options
    Check in and test question
    these new zones are tough. My TRP pace hurts to run by the middle of the week(muscle hurt). It requires focus every 2-3' or so. 

My zone 2 pace is crazy. That requires near constant focus. That said I am able to hold z2 (7:05/mile) for at least 50' and probably 60' if I tried. It would hurt though. 

My weekly milage hit 39 last week. That is quite a bit. Still no metatarsal pain. Just muscle aches. 

Bike is doing well. Though who thought to give us 52' of z4 work on a weekend!!!!  That sir is evil and sadistic considering that 60' is our theoretical max we could do in a RACE situation. 

Question
    there are no 13.1 races that are after my OS. There is one on 4/9 which is one week early.  Should I do that one?
  • Options
     Chris –

I hear you on the bike pain. As you know, I am not the bike coach and I have made him aware of Thos insane intervals. :-) 

I am pleased with how your whole training is working out, but I don't want to make you work too hard in that zone to running. I would be just fine with you down your back to about 710 until the last portion of that run at 7:05. Sometimes even a subtle change like that can make a big difference in terms of fatigue. Remember we need to think beyond just the present training session towards a sustainable level training load you can carry for the season. 

I say yes to the earlier 13.1. That would mean basically doing weeks 11, 12, and then 14. We can always adjust on the backside. Make sense?
  • Options
    On today's zone 5 Thursday bike Mia (my wife) called me out and said that my 30s on didn't look near as hard as it felt for her.  I told her I was sticking to my watts, but couldn't let that challenge go unanswered. 

According to my FTP my z5 is 280-306. After her call out I decided to just go hard. I managed to hold 380-410 for the remaining 16 intervals. The last 30s was just as high as the middle ones. 

What would you rather me do? Keep to z5 or go hard as I can and still maintain consistent watts?
  • Options
    @Chris Oubre

All out, yet consistent. From one lucky dude to another, you have an AWESOME wife. 

But you already knew that!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    She is kinda awesome. And my legs were definitely more sore. You might want to update the wording for that workout so other people don't limit themselves like I did. 

Looks like I won't be able to do a post OS half marathon; however, there is a 10k. I'm thinking to roll with that one instead.  
  • Options
    10k it is....we can do that...it means a better warm up and more suffering sooner. :smile::mrgreen:

Agreed on the bike language, I will pass it on. 
  • Options
    This is the first PutSeason I've been able to complete. I've always had 70.3's in April that have interfered. I simply cannot believe that I ran a 41:00 10k.  My bike FTP went from 255 --> 276. 

Thank you

now time for the rest of the year. I am about to submit a new season road map to Rich. My question for you is...

My plan is to one day KQ. 

I will I'll do a full again in 2018 (I also Ave up in 2018).  I'm thinking that I should pick one race venue and keep racing it till I know the course so well it's a major advantage. I want to pick one that plays to my strengths and perhaps leverages the Kona line. 

Which race do you think I should do?
    Texas
    pros: I've raced it before.
             It's only a 6 hour drive.
             It's a championship race so lots of slots.
             It's flattish and fast
             In water start to cool off my face

Cons: it's an early season race.
              It's on this side of the Kona line so racing snakes are using it to go back to Kona 
             Lake swim. The swim is my weak leg

Louisville 
    pros:  after the Kona line. 
              Late season race so I have lots of time to swim
    Cons: time trial start
              Much farther drive

other options?
  • Options
    @Chris Oubre - you are a monster. That's an incredible time...and you are 8" per mile away from a sub-40!!!!  :wink:  Now that you are looking forward, I like Texas. Close is good but the challenge is that you can't train on the course to get an advantage (bike is hwy). The start is rolling (walk in) these days, and the non-wetsuit element could hurt you. But sharpening your skills there could let you do a year where you step up (TX early, Lou Late) say in 2019 or 2020 as needed. 

Lou being too far is a deal breaker for me!

~ Coach P

Ps congrats again!
  • Options
    Check in time

i did a sprint and my swim was one of the worst ever. It was only 800m. I swam ~6km that week and swam 2k the morning before the race. 

In the race I had my normal warm up. As soon as I started my triceps hurt so bad. I was sore and just could figure out how to swim and not hurt. I grabbed a kayak ever 100m or so.  I think I swam an 18-20' 800m

Then i I smashed the bike and nailed the run and came in 21st over all out of ~350. 

I have since then then started adding cords every day I don't swim. I know you told me to do that but I never did. 

I have signed up for IM Texas in 2018. 

I have decided that that I can't miss swims. Even if that means skipping bikes and runs. I can always rebuild up run and bike speed. 

For some reason I just hate hate hate swimming 200m+. I can do 100's all day. 

Im swimming with a masters program. My stroke has improved in so far as I now reach over the barrel and feel fatigue in my chest and back finally. My had finishes by my hip

but.....my triceps hurt so bad. And that often limits the length of my swim desire. 

Im getting about 1300-1500m per swim. Swimming 2-3 times a week. Cords on off days. I figure I just need to build my fitness and strength and that I've never really been consistent. 

Also so I think I need more swim taper since apparently I can't even swim 800 at the end of a workout week. 

I fear that that if I can't get to a place where I don't panic at the thought of swimming 1000 straight I just won't meet my goal of one day KQing. 

I need to focus ALL of my energy on beating that fear and getting to a place where the swim is a non event. 

Help me. 
  • Options
    @Chris Oubre -  Great to hear from you! I was just writing back-and-forth with Mia, so funny.

I am sorry to hear about your spring experience, but given your consistently low swim volume, my guess is all this for me that week was actually a crap ton. And you were like likely super tired.  You can imagine how you would feel in the spring if you done your biggest bike work all week and rode 40 miles before the start of the race. :-)

It does sound like you made some really positive changes, and that masters program will be great in terms of keeping you on point and consistent.

Having tricep pain from something really only comes from the finish down by your hip. Many age group swimmers overcompensate at the finish because they don't have a great catch.

Your job is to simply hold on to the tension that you built during the first half of the stroke, not to inject some massive burst of strength for the last 4 inches of a 3 foot long pull. 

Think of it as doing a push-up. When you push off the ground are using your chest muscles and your arms extend; you eventually finish with your triceps. When you do a push-up, however, you don't push off the ground as above and then in the last 2 inches suddenly accelerate as hard as you can. Not only would it be difficult, it will be exhausting.

You have to find a way to turn off the finish effort but keep the hand position so that holds tension on the water.

I agree with you on continuing to improve a swim, but it doesn't have to be nine months of streets for me to get it right. There will be times when you focus on this one and times when he will need a break and you can use those other windows to train the bike and the run.

Don't under estimate the mental cost of all that swimming, and how that can affect your training overall. I would encourage you to do as much open water swimming as possible this year as part of the training.
  • Options
    After some more thought I've realized that due to timing and structure, 30-40% of the yards in my masters program have effectively been kicking.  So I've really been getting less yards that I thought. 

Im going to stop trying to keep up with their drills. They are just to fast for me even with fins. I will straight swim and try to focus on what the drill was trying to improve. 

Or or I might replace them with sighting drills or some such. I think I just need endurance. 

• Options
    @Chris Oubre -  you subtracted the kicking? I personally would've counted those kicking yards double. Kicking his house. Let's recall that you are swimming now to become a better swimmer, not to build endurance for a race that is nine months away.

It's OK to swim with them and suffer and get better… They are good because of what they do, not in spite of it. Once you are within the final four months we will need to think more like a triathlete...but until then you are free to do what you choose.
  • Options
    So I've stopped doing the masters workouts because they are just to fast for me.  I  have to wear short fins just to have a chance at 5 seconds of rest between intervals.

I haven't started doing the EN swim sets because I'll admit, I have a dread/fear of swimming 400's and 500's.  HEck even 300's get in my head.  I've swam 10 70.3's and two fulls.  I failed on my first full attempt in Cozumel the year they had the epic swim current.

I feel that my ultra low swim volume has caused me to lose fitness and confidence.

I've started doing swim cords most days now.  I set my watch in indoor run to measure the distance my arms moves and convert that to swim yards as a means to benchmark how many cords I'm doing.

I usually get 40-55' swims in two to three times a week.  I am going to ramp at least one of those to 60-75'.  I'll try to ramp at least two of them to 60-75'.

What I've just started doing is swimming 2,3 150's then putting on my snorkel and pull buoy and swimming 1000 meters.  Then I take the gear off and wrap up with 50's until time runs out.  

My goal with the long pull and cords is to build up my endurance again.

When I look at EN swim sets that are 4x500 I just struggle mentally.  I'm not sure why and I'm not sure what I need to do to over come it.

Every time I swim open water for a race I have an anxiety attack (Except one time in Buffalo Springs).  For that race I was able to sit in the water for 30'+ and cool off.

My question for you.  Am I doing the right thing?  What swim sets should I be doing?  I like the idea of time intervals that the masters program uses but they are just to fast for me in their warm up when everyone is swimming 25's or 50's.  And by the time they get to the main set I have to leave for work.
  • Options
    @Chris Oubre - the masters thing sounds like it's too damn complicated. And bad timing. 

Swim cords are good for 2x a week with 2 actual swims. 

You dint have have to do the sessions as they are written...4 x 500 can be 20 x 100. I'll take anytime in the water. 

With all those races and all this swim time, that panicking has to be in your head. You are very fit!!!

Most folks would have quit with fear. :smiley: you haven't died yet...and neither has anyone in your Race. Just gotta get in there...or maybe hit a sports psychologist. Has to be a better way to fast track this. 

And any OWS you can do....doooo it!
  • Options
    So my HIM is coming up on 10/22. With Mia's injury I am now on car pool duty for at least this week and next. Then it will be race week. If you look at my Strava feed you'll see I've switch to cords only for my swimming as I cannot make it to a pool. 

I set my watch to indoor run and then convert it to a swim after I save it. 

Should i try to match the swim days and go for yards or should/can I do cords most days?

Should I go for hour long 1.5-2k cord sets or can I string several 10-15' 500-800 yard sets in a day sometimes?

Should I pull hard on the cords (stretch them long) or medium/easy?  Or Should I vary the intensity? 

Hkw ow do I race rehearsal?

Im banking on the preceding months for my form and just using cords it build strength and fitness. 

Any other thoughts on how to handle this curveball in the last three weeks before my A race?
  • Options
    @Chris Oubre - don't over think it. I've had folks separate their shoulder in a bike crash, in a sling for three weeks, take it off on race day and they swim. They could be crazy though.... :smiley:

• Don't race sim a swim...just focus on the bike/run elements.
    • I'll take 3 x 30' of cords a week for 90' total (break up as you see fit). 
    • Pull the cords to the finish; we don't want them too hard, it's not a weight workout. It should feel 40% aerobic / 60% strength, if that makes sense.
    • I like the run to swim trick!
    Give your self time on race weekend to swim (day before) to get that out of your system...and confirm if you can warm up on race day before the start!

You're going to be fine!

~ Coach P

• Options
    Well.....IM New Orleans was canceled.  That means no A race for 2017.  I have no cap stone for this year to put the exclamation point on my season. All of 2017 went into the future racing self bank.

My next race is IM Texas in April 28th.

I'm concerned about my swim as always so I'd like to not stop swimming till Texas.  I think I can maintain a Monday, Tuesday morning swim of ~ 2500-3500 yards.  Closer to the IM we can ramp it higher.

I can do a Friday cords session.

I love Zwift and really look forward to some trainer fun this coming season.

From a running stand point my HR is coming down.  I am able to hold low 7's for much longer and I saw a HM PR on a training run.

I have no other races on my calendar and am thinking of nothing past Texas.

Here are images of the last 356 days of training.

What should my season plan be?  Do you want me to submit a new season road map request?  I'm not sure if we're doing those anymore.

• Options
    I may do River Roux (a local 70.3) this weekend. Everything stays the same
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2017 1:51PM
    Update: Ironman is offering a $100 discount on a registration for an open 2018 event. Problem is I have to make my choice by 11/3!!  

If my my goal is to get to Kona, should I start doing 2 fulls a year, do a full and a half or just one full per year?

Also Mia will be ready for a revenge race in 2018. Probably going back to augusta. That would mean that I need to back off my training in July-September. 

With that in mind, IM Boulder might be an option. It’s a key race and it finishes in june. That fits Mia’s plans as well. 

Soooooo what do you think I should do Coach?
  • Options
    @Chris Oubre- I had a great conversation with your better half yesterday. I understand your focus on two races a year to build up, but part of that building up is also stepping down.

I see you plan on Texas in Boulder next year. You need to shut it down after Boulder to train with Mia and recover. 

Similarly, you need a little bit of a break here even as you stay fit. After all, you did quite a bit of training this year and your body needs a bit of a break.

My suggestion is that you do run durability for November, then start the December out season with an eye towards Texas. Yes, you can submit your roadmap it is still in the dashboard...That is how we enter  your name into our system.

Right now we need to challenge you with a November that is full of run frequency but not individual run volume. Where you can bike occasionally, and only do swim chords. It’s about maintenance for a month And not about building fitness. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the near term plan.  My question is this. 

Strategically, does 2 full Ironman events per year provide me with my best chance to improve for a KQ?  And does Boulder fit in at a good time after Texas? It’s 6 weeks later.  My goal is to have fun, build fitness and experience while getting a side benefit of working in a legacy slot (if I can’t get there via the podium).
  • Options
     That’s not really a question I can answer. Show me 100 people and I can show you 100 different ways to get there. Some people started before they were 10 exactly, others didn’t pick it up until they were 50. Some have no kids others in the field and entire soccer team.

Restaurant he is one that keeps your training and not overachieving, but continually showing up every day. Bonus that your wife is into the sport and this plan helps you  support her and her mission. I figure your balance is managing the difference between stepping on the gas and staying steady… Every thing has its place in a season.  B)
  • Options

@chris oubre -

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Notes

I just finished River Roux, a 70.3. It was cold cold cold for me. I'm a hot race kind of guy. I finished just under 5:30. I've been plateaued around 5:20-5:40 for the last few years. In 2017 I took a back seat to racing and training to help Mia achieve her goal of a 70.3 finish. Due to injury she didn't make it. :-( She will be trying again next year at Augusta. My weakness are Swim, Run Bike.

I want to incorporate swim cords and Zwift as much as I can

This year I plan to do two fulls. Last full was in 2014 (13:54 time).

My numbers
    2017:
    Swim: Weekly average 3.9k
    Bike: Weekly mikes 33.4 (dumb trainer miles. Would be more like 43.4)
    Run: Weekly Average 16.8 (Two months in there have a 6 mile and 4.7 mile average)

2016:
    Swim: 2.7k
    Bike: 36 (46 estimate)
    Run: 17.5 miles

Your Races

Main Race:

• Ironman North American Championships (2018-04-28) #IMNorthAmericanChamp_18
    • 6/10/2018 Ironman Boulder

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 11/20/2017 
    • On 12/4/2017 Load the Intermediate OutSeason Bike Focus Plan, 14wks to end on 3/11/2018
    • >> Transition Early << 
    • On 2/12/2018 Load the Intermediate EN*Full 12 Weeks to end on 4/29/2018
    • On 4/30/2018 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 5/13/2018
    • On 5/14/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 5/28/2018
    • >> Transition Early << 
    • On 5/21/2018 Load the Intermediate EN*Full 12 Weeks to end on 6/10/2018
    • On 6/11/2018 Load the Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 7/9/2018

Coach Notes

IMTX as a race means that it's time for you to get to work in the OutSeason® this December. Very, very cool...and good for you as well as I know you are itching to make magic happen. The secret to your OS this year will be hard, hard bikes and just consistent running. Any time you can ride hard, do it (or race). And try to make the ABP or similar type of public ride...the tempo stuff works. With a short OS, your runs will really be pointing you towards the TX build, so nothing flashy really needed here...this is the year of the bike for you.

Once thru TX we have a week to recover, then back at it again. For now I have loaded the Full plan again, but hope to have something better for you when you get to that point in your season based off of my lessons learned this year!

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Just a training update.

Over all: 

I've been nursing an aggravation of an old injury in the metatarsals of my left foot.  Once I started Zwifting I really increased the TSS from my bike workouts by 20-30% on short days, 80-120% on my long days.  My foot just didn’t like that much stress placed on the ball of that foot.

I saw a podiatrist and a physical therapist.  They didn’t see any issue.  As a result I’ve just slooooooowed down my running and I’m also backing off of my Zwift intensity (e.g. no more races)

I start my Ironman Texas build next week.  I got a Stryd for Christmas.

Numbers for 12/27/17 – 1/25/18

Running:

15 runs

50.2 miles (11.7 miles / week)

8:42 total time

TSS: 736  (171/week)

ATL: 25.9

CTL: 18.1

Swimming:

I’ve started doing 2 90’ sessions per week.  Where possible I’m adding another 60’ session

9 swims (No more cord sessions)

27,220 yards (6800/week)

12 hours total time

Biking:

14 bikes

314.6 trainer miles (73.4 miles/week)

21 hours total time

TSS: 1108 (258/week)

ATL: 26.7

CTL: 30.0

• Options
    @Chris Oubre - Great update, and you are in a pretty good place. We are going to have to start wrapping up the volume at some point into Texas, so how can we manage your foot? Do you wear orthotics in your cycling shoes? I mention that because traditionally, the insoles for cycling shoes suck. They are terrible.

I have a pair of orthotics that I wear but you could easily get something like super feet and cut them down so that there are some support and it takes a bit of the pressure off of the ball of your foot.

Sometimes you need a bit of our support so the pressure on your foot is more evenly distributed. If there’s really nothing in the arch that it all truly does go to the ball of your foot in those metatarsal’s.

Let me know how you see yourself transitioning up to Texas levels of training.
  • Options
    I just transitioned into the Advanced full plan. Do I stay with this one or switch to the 12 week full plan when I’m 12 weeks out?  

I’ll look to cut up an orthodic to fit it inside my bike shoe. 

Also so I haven’t tested yet this year. I feel like I know where my FTP is based on my Zwift races. Im not sure about my run FTP; however, im just running by RPE anyway. 

I have a Stryd but haven’t had time to do a 5k test with it yet. 

Question: any issues with me skipping bike and run FTP tests for 2-3 more weeks?

• Options
    @Chris Oubre -  Great riding yesterday. I appreciate all the stories.

Technically you’re supposed to transition into the Swan camp a plan for two weeks before the full plan. Is there a reason you’re not doing that?

No need to test, just continue collecting data. Especially with the Stryd as the study running you’re doing right now is actually  pretty comparable to what we hope to see on race day. 
  • Options
    Swim camp isn’t in the post above where you laid out my season road map. In fact I misread it and started the full plan two weeks earlier. 

I’m ok with that because I didn’t really get a large volume of run in the OutSeason due to foot pain. 

After i I put those shoe inserts in I was able to bike 113 tss ride then do the 21’ of zone 3 rubbing with just minor discomfort at the end. No real pain. So I’m hopeful. 
  • Options
    @Chris Oubre - Looks like I missed read it as well when I was riding this morning! Yes you did tradition a bit early but no worries there. We wanna make sure your foot gets adapted to the new volume in new rhythm. Obviously, feel free to swing it up right now if that’s going to help keep you going while we baby your foot for a bit.

When you get a chance, tell me more about these inserts. Is there a brand? Can you take a picture?
  • Options
    New Balance Ultra Arch Support