Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Texas

Week 1 of 12 the Road to IMTX

Comments

• Still making my days up till the Achilles is healed. Hoping that I might get a test jog off of the bike this weekend. I took a day off of the trainer today and got a better swim in. This is 3 days in a row for me in the pool and I will hit it tomorrow as well. Sessions are just a bit shorter.
    Today's highlight was a 500M Tt in 9:12. Which for me is Thea second fastest 500 I've ever put up. Really not that big a deal. I can go 500m in 9:12 killing myself or I fan go 500m in 9:45 and feel like I am loafing. Still, makes me feel like I am working till I can get running again.
    Weather should warm up tomorrow. Hoping to bike outside. Might even test. I am due for one and I rested legs today.
    Hoping to rejoin everyone next week.

Good to see all the new people popping up!
  • Nice work all you regulars..... Welcome to the new IMTX people showing up.... Don't be strangers.... Its not about bragging or comparing its about support and feeding off the energy and providing energy for others.... Post and hold yourself accountable.... IMTX will be the best and busiest board of all the IM's this year... Yep that is my prediction, we have a great group, EN focus race, 1st Big race of the year and everybody is pumped....

So there I was ... starting my ride this am... Not feeling a 100% , got a lingering cough, ear plugged up, nagging little tweak in my knee , lots of excuses but nothing worse than everybody else is dealing with... Training has been good, not over-trained, well rested, well fed.... But still I start the intervals and feel weakness creeping in.... Then I think what would IMTX Captain SS do? Oh shit what is he gonna think if I post a weak ride? I know he will see it on Strava there is no hiding..... Got my shit together and put out 47 minutes of FTP work... Yes it was hard (always is) but I already knew I could do it.... Interesting structure of intervals based on roads, lights , terrain etc...
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/452332953

Easy 3.7 mile run later with a couple strides....
  • First long run in the books.  No problems.  Followed the instructions, but I always have trouble running Z1 (I'm so stinkin' slow that my Z1 pace just feels like a shuffle).  60' Z1, 15' Z2, then 15' just ran (ended up being right on Z3 pace).  Felt good.  Nice temp and in the daylight!  

http://app.strava.com/activities/116612320

• @Tim- I felt the same way today with my long run.  I thought about cutting it short but whether real or not, I feel somewhat accountable to this group and that made me stick with it.  I agree about posting he workouts.  I'm certainly not posting because I'm real proud of my speed (because I'm pretty slow), but I post it to be (virtually) held accountable for what I'm supposed to be doing.  If that makes sense?

Had a good long run.  I'm on the Intermediate IM plan and it called for 60' Z1, 15' Z2 and 15' best effort.  Kept trying to give myself excuses to slow up for last 15', but stuck with it and I'm glad I did.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/...m8NVI.link

• I was planning on doing Friday's 1hr swim/45 min run today. Since chiropractor advise I hold off on my swimming, I only did the run. It called for 6-8 30" strides, and the rest at Z2. After my 3rd stride I could feel my shin splints starting to creep up. This was an issue for me leading up to IMLT last year and was able to get through it with PT. Just keeping an eye on it. The rest of the run felt fine. It only becomes an issue when I do these strides. Chiropractor adjusted a few of my ribs today and a tendon on my shoulder from last weeks ski fall. Tomorrow I'll do the 30 min run/4hr bike on the trainer since it's going to be raining here 'till Mon. I'm looking forward to any insights from the sweat test. I've never done of those.
  • ok...very tough week at work...but still able to get most of the workouts done

Today I was catching up with yesterday's bike on the trainer

Goal was 10'@95-100%FTP + 15'@95-100%FTP + 3x5'@110%FTP
    I targeted using my final tested FTP of 244W from the end of Nov Outseason about 1 month ago...and it was tough (did not have a lot left for the last two 110% intervals

Results:
    Interval Goal Actual(NP) Comment
    #1 10'@095-1.0 0.98/238W Nice!
    #2 15'@095-1.0 0.98/239W Nice!
    #3 5'@1.10 1.06/259W This is hard!
    #4 5'@1.10 1.00/244W Ouch!
    #5 5'@1.10 0.93/226W as much as I could...not a lot left in the tank...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/452526480

Still think it was a good workout 1hr10min @ avg 212W and 87 TSS

Will look to redeem myself next week
  • So helpful to see other people having the same "issues" I had this week....makes me feel a little more "normal"

@ Chris...we might as well have been running shoulder to shoulder today!  

@ Gonzalo....I had the EXACT same experience last night.  I had 4 x 4' 110% to do after 10' and 12' at Z4.  The first 4' 110% I hit ~105%.  The rest I couldn't even hit 100%.  Quads just on fire.  

Loving the accountability of this group.

• a little to cold for this sissy to test outside. So I did it on the trainer. I knew the numbers might be disappointing (and they were) but it was on the trainer and I couldn't have worked harder.
    I made all of the rookie testing mistakes. went out too hard, power sag in the middle then high at the end. Wow that it a really hard workout if nothing else.
    VO2 was 261w and 20 min was 216 so ftp on trainer is 205. It also looks like I need to work longer intervals as there is such a large gap between vow and ftp.

http://www.trainingpeaks.com/av/26PLHINQGECLU5HHTP7LUNFQJQ

Jeff and chris - I will re define z1 slowness for you in a week or so.
  • Very very happy with the direction this group is taking in terms of support, posting, leadership.......will try to do my part and keep up.

@ Tim - HA! If you took a rest day, I might begin to think you are actually human, but once again you confirmed what I have always suspected, you're not HUMAN!  Keep leading!!

@Linda -  you and I are on the same plan for Sat - hope the ribs are healing fast! 

@ Jimmy - Keep sharing, plugging, ploughing and fighting........we all are!  Way to roll up your sleeves and get the test done!  Very stress full!

@ Chris - could not have said what you described any better.  DITTO!  On your long run - way to negative split that baby with elevation on the back end!

@ Gonzalo - 87 TSS = Damn solid work! 

@ Mike W - keep posting.....looks like a fast, text book long run to me.......! 

Little slow on my end moving out of bed this morning but will see what the day has to offer as things move forward!

Team IMTX is just waking up........Look out! 

• For those doing the swim WKO by the book today and are expecting an easy time, beware!  It's an axe-wielding lunatic in disguise.  Other than the Nightmare on Lake Monona in '06, easily the toughest swim I've ever completed.  The rest intervals (or lack thereof) turn the difficult into brutal.

Set 1: 200 (1:23 avg/100y), 300 (1:24), 400 (1:25), 500 (1:25), 400 (1:24). 

Set 2: 8 x 50's were a walk in the park by comparison

Set 3: 3 x 200 @1:25, 1:26, 1:24.

3,300 yards later = gumby arms.  Please tell me I just expanded the swim engine by a few cubic inches. 

• @ Mike R -- I hear you on the today's wko. Still getting back into the swing of things on the swim, so would've had to darn near kill myself to hit T-pace on all of those long intervals. Ended up at 1:46-1:48 / 100yds (1-3" slower than T-pace). Good news is that I was able to get to 3,000 yds w/out my form completely disappearing -- the swim endurance is slowly but surely coming back.

also had a tough time getting out of bed this morning, but an Espresso Love Gu was just the ticket to get me fired up

will try to get the strides run in later today -- maybe when (if??) the temps crack double digits!
  • another short pool set over lunch. This makes 4 days in a row in the water. For fun I banged out one of my 300M's today as fast as I could and tied my best time ever (5:14). Whichwas encouraging given that it was the 3rd 300m repeat of hte day on the 4th consecutive day of swimming.

I dont think that I will stress going forward if life puts me in the pool 4 or 5x per week in shorter bursts as I think that I can benefit from it.

Walking without a limp. No visible swelling. I see a jog coming on sunday. I have had 3 trainer sessions during the week so if I hit tomorrow's 4hr bike I will most likely shorten or eliminate the sunday raide in favor of an attempt at a run.
  • You are all better swimmers than I...but I was please about a number of things about my swim wko today...mostly that I was able to complete MS1 at a steady 1:50-ish pace as this represented a big jump in overall volume/workload for me....followed that up with a solid MS2 in the mid 1:40's....and finally I was really pleased that MS3 was optional     (I have a fixed amount of time in some mornings...and 1hr. was it...

Hope to get a run in later...but not sweating it either way....

Was hoping spring was on its way...but another brutally cold weekend and wintry mix on its way Sun/Mon....so I guess its the Trainer.

See y'all out there on the boards....Kick it.

• 3300 yds in the pool, per protocol.  Hit the 200, 300, 400, 500's at T-pace just fine. But, that last 400 at "faster than T-pace" did not end up faster than T-pace....but not for a lack of effort!  Tried to focus on my catch and keeping a high elbow the whole time.  Currently reading Sheila Taormina's book and comparing what she says to what I learned recently in my lessons with a TI coach.  Some similarities, but some major differences.  Still not sure what is right for me, but even TI stresses early vertical forearm (high elbow).  The main difference to me seems to be the gliding vs. never gliding philosophy.  I'm no expert, and I'm a slow swimmer too (@Joseph.....I would be shoulder to shoulder with you I think!), but I really wonder for those of us that are not fish and have no chance of KQ/podium, if it's not best to glide a little (not a lot) in lieu of wasting too much energy in the water.   

Funny to read others' posts citing their weakness/slow sport, only to find that my paces are the same!  I think I will adopt a motto of "slow, but consistently slow!).  I truly seem to have no "strong sport".....and thus no weak sport!  

• All you Friday Swim Pros - I did the T pace interval work but came up short 3-4 secs on each one.  I did swim the second 400 faster than the first but still slogged through most of it after yesterday's long run fatigue.....then ran 35 minutes in 72 degrees and sunshine with EZ pace and strides.....

Swim: http://www.strava.com/activities/116799274 

Run: http://www.strava.com/activities/116799282 

Did not sleep well last night waking up almost every hour......hoping for some hard Zzzzzzz tonight!

Strong Friday work all!

• Had a nice easy "human" day today.... Not a rest day but as close as it comes and it was much needed and welcomed. Easy 40min bike @ IF .53 dont get much easier than that... Then 40 min in the pool playing with a camera and doing drills... Going to reverse my Sat/Sun plans this week on account of weather and do the longrun Sat and longibke Sun....
  • Had a good swim this morning.  Worked on keeping my legs from splaying.  I'm doing a 5K race tomorrow before my long ride to make up for my botched 5K TT run last Thursday.  I hope to have increased my VDOT by 1 so I'm hoping this 5K will show me that.  Race is supposed to be flat and fast, so we'll see.

• Way to go peeps!!! You guys are doing great!  

Did not swim today as per my chiropractor's recommendation. I hope to be back in the pool next week. Sounds like it was an intense wko.  I did Sat's wko today- 30 min TM run, followed by the 4hr bike ride on the trainer...or should I say 3hrs and 41 mins since I ran out of time and it was time to pick up the kiddies from school.  The first 2 hrs felt like forever, and then I got over the hump. I did the sweat test and I'm puzzled as to how to decipher what my intake should be since instead of losing weight, I gained 0.4 lbs. I weighed in at 127.2 (pre-test weight) and 127.6 (post-test weight).  I took in 24 oz of liquid.  I know I'm weird like that because I barely sweat, but wasn't expecting to have gained weight. Any insight would be appreciated. (TC- I'm 3.2 lbs chubbier than you.)

Also, I don't have a power meter  , and only have my HR and distance/speed to try and gauge progress.  What have been your observations as far as the speed that you're able to maintain on the trainer vs when you're out on the road.  Do you notice an increase of x amount mph? 

• @ Linda...Wow!  That is a strange sweat test result.  I did one last year and lost 1.2lbs and drank 24oz water.  So my requirement at that time was 43 to 53oz/hr.  I'm 6'0" and ~160lbs.  Heavy and salty sweater.  

I'm no expert, but I would interpret your results to mean 24oz/hr is probably pretty close (depending on temp).  I've never done the IMTX course, but I've spent enough time in the Houston area to know that it is about the "muggiest" place on earth.  I'm planning to retest tomorrow, and will shoot for the high end of my requirement on race day.  I THINK that the temp is what affects sweat rate, moreso than humidity.  We getty more "sweaty"/wet in humid conditions because the sweat just won't evaporate.  If you did your test on trainer at ~70 degrees, you will definitely sweat more on race day (assuming it's hot like usual).  

You weighed without clothes before and after right?  

• @ Jeff- Yes, I weighed without clothes before and after.  I need to figure out my range, since as you mentioned, it's going to be hot and muggy come race day.  I cringe at the idea of having to deal with GI distress "again" when I get to mile 6 of the run.  It happened at Vineman Full and IMLT, and I need to figure that out before Texas.

If anyone uses Infinit Customized Blends, chime in, as I'd like to know how that has worked out for you.  That's all I've ever used for the past 2 yrs.  During training it works beautifully... but come race day, I'm in excruciating pain once I hit the run.  I was thinking of trying out Ironman Perform.  Do you guys fuel with that?

• @ Linda....well, I shouldn't be trying to respond to your question, since I've only done a couple of olympics and two HIM.  I used Perform at Austin HIM in October, drinking 2.5 bottles (20-24oz)/hr.  I was a little "sloshy" in the stomach towards the end of the bike, but it was an unusually cool/comfortable day and I probably didn't need quite that much.  I didn't have any cramping/stomach pain on the run....but a half and a full are just two completely different animals, I'm sure.  I use perform in training consistently and like it.  I have chosen this purely for simplicity sake, since it's on course and has good mix of calories/sodium and that's what Patrick recommends.  

If you're going to switch, the time is now, though, as you need time to "practice" and make sure it works for you.  One thing I noticed, and many others have also mentioned, is that the powder vs. premixed Perform taste quite different.  It's not supposed to, and I mix it exactly as recommended, but it absolutely tastes different and I'm not the only one that thinks that!  

Again, you have more experience than I do, so take this with a grain of salt.  

• In training I use Ironman Perform (I also use Cytomax when I can't get Perform)...In racing...which includes 1 very hot HIM ...2 very hot IM...IMLou in 2012 and IMTx in 2013....and I am a heavy sweater....I use Ironman Perform exculusively....I find it the most palatable...well balanced fluid replacement avaialable...and has been the on-course fluid of choice...which makes the logistics of onbike fueiling/refueling simpler.......

• @Linda... Sweat test- 24oz is 1.5 lbs did you subtract that from your second weigh in? Was the test 1hr? IMO for a sweat test to be effective it needs to be done in similar environmental conditions and intensities as on race day.... For IMTX it should be done outside in high heat and humidity @ your planned IM intensity.... If this isnt possible try to replicate it the best you can... The good news is there is plenty of time left to do several to give you a better idea by taking the averages of your results...

Speed on the Trainer vs Outside is not even worth looking at or comparing, there are just too many variables within the trainer settings , tire pressure, aero , hills, etc.... If you dont have power just use HR and dont worry about speed ..... Since I use power I dont look at speed, HR , or even cadence while on the trainer or outside.

X3 on perform, I like it , its on the course, and works for me.... I tried Infinit and did not care for it... Its individual and needs to be practiced....
  • Did my 5K race today to get new VDOT.  Increased it by 1!  I'm now a 42.  I ran a 22:55.  I'm happy that my pace has increased by about 10 sec/mile since my last 5K TT.  I think doing a 5K race worked well for getting the best time I could given the "race" atmosphere.

Now I'm off to do my 4hr bike, well 3hr bike and return home for 1hr sweat test!  

Good luck today to all of my IMTX Peeps!!!

• @ Chris - nice improvement on the vDOT test!  I hate that test - too stress full.......!

@ Linda - did my sweat test as well this morning on the trainer. I am also in the IM Perform user club!

I am losing about 40 oz/hour but will lose 56 oz+ under IMTX conditions..................  

4 hour trainer ride  http://www.strava.com/activities/116952732  WU 30' then 4 X 25'(5') @ 75-80% then 70-75%

Moved 1 X 1 Z4 run to tomorrow morning.......

Good luck today all!

• You all are SOOOOOO motivating to me! I love this group! My workout today was all on the spin bikes at the gym since they have a pretty intense 2 hr class. We added on 2 hours by showing up early and adding on another clas and just riding. I dont know how accurate the "power meters" are, but my distance was 77 miles avg speed of 19.2 and 4:00 on the dot! Then ran 3 miles on the treadmills upstairs. Holy bananas...that was a huge jump up from the GF plan, but knowing all of you were going thru the same training day really motivated me!
    I have adjusted my schedule to have Sundays off because I really need that one day a week to sleep in and relax with the family. Then I hit it Monday- Saturday. I have made Friday a 60-90 min ride day so I will still get in a second mid length length ride before Saturdays big workout day. Swim 3x, Run 4x, bike 3x.
    I tried a new wndurance fuel today...Tailwind. Big in the endurance running community. Like it but dont kow how I will effectively use it race day? Have used Hammer Perpetuem for years, but felt I needed a change. May try Ironman Perform due to ease of using same product offered on course. Still experimenting!
    Have a great weekend!!!!!!!!!
  • I like perform. I am trying to stay away from it for another few weeks if I can. I find that it jacks with my blood sugar for the rest of the day. But nothing is better for me for racing.
    2hrs on the trainer where I got my 4x20(5)'s:
    http://www.trainingpeaks.com/av/SZY4FZ7QJVF5EVHEX7XXD3NGR4

Then a break to help out w the kids while the mrs worked out. Then 2more hrs outside at the same target as the 4x20's. figured the break and being outside would make it easier.
    http://www.trainingpeaks.com/av/F4635J5MRS6HPHPGABXYDVFYAQ

I was reminded by the front d that I have not charged my battery in too long. So I coasted a bit more than planned over the last 30 min.
  • @Chris- Congrats on your new 5K numbers! 

@Tim- It was an hour sweat test on the trainer ~70 degrees. I did not subtract 1.5 lbs from the 2nd weigh in.  Should I have?  I got as far as subtracting my post-test weight of 127.6 from my Pre-test weight of 127.2, and there was nothing there to subtract. LOL.  Just concerned that if I were to be gaining 0.4 lbs/hr, that it might be a concern in the course of a race.  Perhaps I'm taking in too much fluid.  Today I did Sun's 3hr trainer ride and I did notice that even taking 24oz/hr was making me burp towards that last hour.  Now I know why it says in the Wiki that if you start burping to dial things down... otherwise, you throw up a little bit in your mouth.  I know it's a little TMI, but that's how we learn from one another, right?

Thanks everyone for your input on nutrition.  I'm going to try out Ironman Perform since it's also accessible on race day.  Do you pair that up with bonk breakers, bananas and the like?  I know that for me Infinit nutrition and GU's did NOT go well together... ever!  

Great job everyone!!  

• @Linda.... Yes ....you need to factor everything you add to your body (foods and fluids) or anything that may have come out of your body other than sweat in order to get the net result.... So You weighed 127.6 after the hour but you added 24 ounces which weighs 1.5lbs..... 127.6 - 1.5= 126.1 This is the number you would have weighed if you did not add 1.5lbs during the test.......... You weighed 127.2 before the hour so 127.2-126.1=1.1 You lost 1.1lbs in 1 hour... That certainly fits into the normal expected window...

Longrun done today... Felt pretty good.... Actually got rained on in Tucson during the last couple miles if you can believe that!
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/453248066#

Had company today so we took a ride to Saguaro East and then up Mt. Lemmon.... Couldnt believe people were actually biking ... Winter storm warning for Lemmon today... Near the top we were stopped taking pictures and a guy on a P5 went by that we had passed earlier... I told him he was crazy... Shortly after that we were going up further and it got foggy, then rain, temps dropped down to 40 , and down he comes the other way just around 7500' elevation... We went to the top around 8100' then started down, the rain picked up then turned to hail, coming down sideways... I was looking for the guy all the way down so I could give him a ride... Never saw him I hope he got a ride.... Just cant imagine those conditions....
  • @ SS...way to lead with the 4hr trainer ride.  That is painful.  

@ Chris...well done!  My 5K PR is 22:50, so I'm right there with you.

@ Annie...well done with 4hrs on trainer/spin bike.  Creative but effective.  

@ Jimmie...you didn't go do the Iron Haus TT?  Nice job working around the family to get the time in and stay out of the doghouse!  

@ Tim...well done as always.  Rain in AZ?  I see JW was riding and running in a monsoon in AZ too.  

I did the prescribed pre-ride 30min run in Z2, with 1 mi Z4.  I think it took a little more out of me than I planned, as I found the last 1.5hrs of the bike tougher than expected.  Part of it was the last hour on the trainer.....I hate the trainer.  That last hour @ 0.7 on the trainer took longer than an hour....I'm sure of it!  

http://app.strava.com/activities/117039485

http://app.strava.com/activities/117040690

Confused about my sweat test results too.  I did one last year (indoors on trainer), riding a little harder than 0.7, and found my rate to be 43-53oz/hr.  I used this for Austin 70.3 and it seemed right (a little burping late in ride....not quite "throwing up in my mouth a little" (thanks Linda!).  Today, I weighed the same before and after the hour, and drank only 24oz of perform.   I KNOW that is not enough for me, esp at IMTX.  Avg temp for my 3hrs outside today was only 72degrees and I did not do a good job drinking consistently early (only downed about 40oz/hr, and most of that later in the ride).  

Wondering....why not weigh before my 3hr ride tomorrow, track all I drink (I only eat a few gels) and then weigh afterwards, dividing by 3 and subtracting what I drank?  I.e...a 3hr sweat test outside?  I'll be riding a little harder than 0.7, but probably not much (I'm pretty smoked at this point and don't want to dig a hole 12wks out).  Any reason I should not do it this way?  

Thanks all.