Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Texas

IMTX Week 3 of 12

Comments

• Dear legs,

I'm sorry that you are sore, stiff and generally feel like crap.  But you are still going to have to run for 110minutes this evening, and the last 20minutes or so are going to hurt you.  Remember, that which doesn't kill you.....

Sincerely,

The rest of my body

• Jeff: Very Funny, I just re-tweeted to my own legs !
  • Thanks alot Jeff!!  Now my legs are gonna expect some advanced warning too...

Got my 110 minute long run in.  Is 110 minutes more palatable than saying 1 hour and 50 minutes?  Must be some psychology behind that.

Turned it up from Z1 to Z2 at 60 minutes and it felt like it wasn't gonna happen, but oddly enough my poor legs just adjusted and cruised on.  I just knew 30 minutes later there was no way to turn it up again but oddly enough, I did.  It was low Z3 but was all I had.

12.12 miles.  That's all I could get out of my 42 VDOT. 

• @ CK....Thanks!  Now I can shoot for 12.13mi out of my 42vDot!  

• Love all the long run stories and MOJO.... Sorry I dont run with you guys on Thursdays..... But I have hacked my plan to keep longruns on the weekends with my longbike....

Today 20min of V02 , 30min of IM pace..... will run easy later on...
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/460311980#

• Posted By Jeff Leslie on 13 Mar 2014 02:05 PM

@ CK....Thanks!  Now I can shoot for 12.13mi out of my 42vDot!  

I knew I should have waited to post
  • Man, after reading all this achievment in the wake of my flounder this morning, my ego is as sore as my legs.  You guys are making it difficult to slack, painful to underachieve.

• Posted By Mike Roberts on 13 Mar 2014 02:44 PM

Man, after reading all this achievment in the wake of my flounder this morning, my ego is as sore as my legs.  You guys are making it difficult to slack, painful to underachieve.

Except that I would love to be "barely holding 6:50's"
  • made it home! overnight flight from HI to AZ then another to tx.
    Given the lack of structure over the past week, I am going to past in last week's fri sat sunday sessions and rejoin y'all on monday. I don't think that a big day saturday and a rest day friday is the best voice for me given the past week.
  • 12 mile long run tonight in 97minutes, pretty good, can't complain

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/460546697

Was able to negative split as prescribed by plan

8 miles @ Z1.5
    2 miles at Z2
    2 miles at Z2.5 to Z3

Tired...
  • Long run done.  Felt surprisingly good.  Able to hit the Z2/3 without much trouble.   12.5mi in 110'.  

http://app.strava.com/activities/120441831/overview

• Great job you guys!!! I love how everyone is just getting it done.  Some impressive pacing out there.

I did Tues wko on Monday and only managed to get in 2,000yds in 36 mins.  The toll on my body from this swim: A pulled tendon off my shoulder... AGAIN, and 2 twisted ribs that were pinching a nerve. No wonder I was so banged up afterwards and had to take a rest day the following day.  Chiropractor adjusted me and advised NO swimming for me until Oceanside 70.3 in 2 weeks. 

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/460540323

45 min TM run after my swim:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/460540327

Wednesday's 110 min run:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/460540338

I did Sat's 4hr bike/1 hr run today, since I can't train on Sat's because of kids sports.  Nutrition seems to be heading in the right direction. No stomach cramps.  Consumed 221 cal/hr and 13 oz fluid/hr. I even experimented with some salt tabs.  Consumed 522 mg of sodium/hr (between 2 tabs and what was in my nutrition).   

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/460540355

1 hr run:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/460540373

Keep getting all those key workouts in!!  They're gonna pay off !!!

• My fingers just thawed out after yesterday's long run, so I'm finally able to post...

As expected, it was a chilly one on Manhattan's west side. Wind was howling in off the river, so did my best to hold the prescribed paces:

60' @ ~Z1
    45" @ ~Z2
    5' cool down

still not sure what to do about tomorrow's Big Day. have the SAUs to go 4hrs on the bike, then one on the run if I get out early. including the swim and starting the day at 7am just might push it too far. perhaps, i'll just do the swim on Sunday...any others facing a similar predicament?
  • @MW, it'll be a bike/run day only for me as well.  May even have to do first hour on the trainer, waiting for the sun to come up at 7:30.
  • I am debating about whether to do the 1/4/1 as ordered, or do a 5/1 instead.  With camp next week, and 2 x 6hrs scheduled, I am still leery of going from 4 to 6 hours abruptly, as I think my neck and "undercarriage" may revolt.  I'm not really concerned about getting on the bike out of the water....I know it'll feel weird and I have a PM so I can avoid overcooking the first 30mins, rehydrating and allowing HR to settle down.  So, I'm thinking I may do the swim today and then do a 5/1 tomorrow.  Forecast for rain, but moreso in AM, so hoping to ride/run in the PM.  Advice would be appreciated re 1/4/1 vs. 5/1 though.  

• Work travel has made this a jumbled week but have gotten in all the workouts...was especially pleased to get in a 1:40 run yesterday morning in relatively comfortable Dallas TX weather...however I'm now back in NJ...and have a logistical challenge doing the full 1/4/1 on Saturday...so I am considering doing one of three things 1.) Do the 1/4/1 on Sunday  2.) Do a normal 2x ride this weekend and doing my 1/4/1 next weekend...I'm leaning toward the latter because I have had so little outside ride time this year so far (1 weekend only)...that I want to take advantage of the opportunity and next weekend I have no time issues and the weather continues to improve.

• All, due to logistics, I did the swim this morning and will run easy this afternoon.  Tomorrow I will do a 4+/1 but bike will be on trainer as I have thunderstorms in the area all morning......

Swim:  http://www.strava.com/activities/120515527

Run: http://www.strava.com/activities/120566050

Like, Jeff, I am not worried about going from Swim to bike as long as I have the swim and the bike base built right.

Good luck out there all!  Some super strong, mentally tough peeps here leading every day!!

• @Jeff, re 4/1 vs. 5/1, I'm no coach, but I do occasionally impersonate one online.  My take: next weekend, you're going 2x112 whether you like it or not, regardless how long it takes you. IOW, time means nothing.  My personal experience shows, once I can go 80 outside without locking up my neck and without having to yell, "fire down below!" I know I'll get through 112 relatively unscathed.  I did 80/60 last weekend and walked away from it, so I know I'll be good as long as I'm liberal at camp with the Chamois Butt'r and (on Friday night) Advil.  If I were you, I would go 80 miles this weekend (whichever day allows you do do it outside) regardless whether it takes you 3 (Tim), 4 or 5 hours.  Then, head to camp confidently, leaving the doubts at home.
  • Bike/Run is fine for a long day if the swim is not practical....Just try to get your long swim in on the day before.....

Having said that we tend to underestimate the effect the swim has on us.... The swim takes more out of you than you think it does.... For that reason I do like to do a few Swim/Bike/Run longdays....Or a Swim/longBike brick.... I think at the very least a hard hour swim will take a couple watts out of my longride....

4/1 vs 5/1 ? I don't think it matters once you get up over 3hrs bike (I think that is where the magic starts to happen and or the pain/bonk however you wanna look at it)... What will matter is the intensity of each ride.... 4hrs go harder..... 5hrs go easier.... Camp week? Pacing will really come into play and Coach P will be all over that!

• ok. Great to be home again.
    I picked up the FTP bike from earlier in the week. 10(4)15(4) at FTP and 2x5(3) at 110% FTP. Then I ran 4mi off of that. At lunch I got an hour pool set in with the main set being 300m easy, 3x100m hard, 400m easy 4x100 hard, 500m easy 5x100 hard.
    So a good first day back. Also found out that I didnt gain any weight on vacation. 3lbs away from totally arbitrary goal race weight of 159.
  • thought i would check in.      

have that work and life thing so can't get here much.      though I know we all do.    (except Tim who is retired. the turkey).

generally things going well.    swim getting back up to speed.       the run and bike build going well.        

doing something similar to Tim.     long bike indoor this saturday up to 3 hours.      long run sunday up to 14 miles this sunday.

so we have a long way to go but pleased with how it is going so far for me.

have fun all.

• @Robin.... Nice to see ya make an appearance with your busy schedule LOL.... Yes I have more time than most... Looking forward to seeing you again at IMTX sporting a new bike too? Maybe this is the one huh?

5 mile unstructured run early today before my ride....
    Longride today since swim meet tomorrow.... Started out pretty good... Riding RPP for 1.5hrs then did a few TT intervals on a nice stretch of road just above RPP in ABP territory... Winds were very challenging today, some dust devils etc.... I did 2 intervals of 4.7 miles each on the exact stretch of road only 17minutes apart... The first was 201watts and 21.7mph the second was 184watts and 22.5mph..... Just goes to show how much wind can effect you , getting out of the water 17minutes later and getting to that point later in the day woulda net a faster bike split on that section... Power tells the story though with the slower interval being the better... Speaking of POWER shortly after that at 2.5hrs into my ride the PM died... I just replaced the battery a week ago but it appears that was it... Replaced it when I got home and short test ride looks ok... Will give better test tomorrow...

At least you guys cant see my fade in the last hour.... But I can assure you it was there.... Burned a few matches on the front 2.5hrs or yesterdays work taking its tole but I was done at 3.5hrs....

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/460938124
  • Tim, SS, MR...thanks for the advice.  Debated what to do all day, and ultimately decided to stick with the plan as written.  Did NOT want to run today, but SS did it....so I did too.  Felt fine and once out the door and was quickly glad I was doing it.  

http://app.strava.com/activities/120700500

I may get wet tomorrow, but plan to do the 1/4/1 unless lightning, dangerous, etc.  Anything to avoid the 4hr trainer torture!

Spent the evening trying to figure out my race wheel/tube/flat repair situation (thanks Tim).  Got a bigger saddle bag and Bento.  Put on the wheelcover and front Flo 60, as I want to be sure I've got most of the kinks worked out before camp (so Coach P doesn't kick me in the nutz).  Even got some Chamois Buttr for the first time ever, as my undercarriage is not used to this sort of saddle time.  

Looking forward to tomorrow (in a demented sort of way) and even more to day off Sunday!  

• Trainer Hell Ride: http://www.strava.com/activities/120840682 

Brick run: http://www.strava.com/activities/120840629

Really no issues, just making up my mind to get the work done and staying focused on nutrition/pacing.......otherwise uneventful an on target.

Sending good vibes to all out there fighting through this long, tough workout today!  Please post/share your day with the team!

Happy rest day tomorrow!

• So...after an awesome last weekend and Mon-Tu workouts, I lost my mojo...big time!!! Struggled through the Th long run of 12 miles and a Friday swim. UGH!!!!

Due to schedule conflicts with training partners and still being forced to trainer ride, I made an executive decision to modify my weekend workouts. To take advantage of a 2 hr performance cycle class at the gym that totally rocks, I did a 1/2/1 today. Actually 2500 of intervals in 50 min, then did the 2 hr class (40 miles)? Really? then did a 6 mile run on the tm. Started at 9 min pace and progressed to last 2 miles at 8 min pace. IM TIRED!! Tomorrow I am doing the 4 hr ride with a friend. Monday will be a day off!! (Next weekend is crazy and I will be lucky to get in 1 90 min ride image )

Tried UCAN today and not quite sure how I feel about it and how to execute it on race day. Really needed a 3rd serving before the run, but did not and could tell by the end. I either need to go back to my Hammer Perpetuem, or try Perform since it is on the course. Hmmmmm.....

I know you all are working SO Hard and Smart! It is what kept me going today!! I keep telling myself "AFTER has no regrets". When we all cross that finish line, all the early mornings, long training days and sacrifices will have been SO worth it!!!! Keep it up Team EN!!!!!
  • Ok, that was a big day. Holy cow! I'm drained. For some reason, I did not mentally prepare for such an epic effort. Lesson learned.

Swim: Tim convinced me to swim, so I got 3k in the dark before dawn in the pool (mirrored goggles not recommended). But nothing remarkable - water was clear, no current or chop.

Bike:
    - 82.9 miles, out with the 10-15 mph wind, back into it (sound familiar?)
    - Focused on smooth, steady pacing, 99% in aero, straight lines, squeeze the most out of my meager watts. Hard to find fault with a VI of 1.011.
    - First 30 min was very easy, then tried to hold 73-4%, which got tough the last 10-15 miles into the wind. Ended up at 71% overall, which was a little weak, but very happy with the 21.2 mph overall average ('m looking forward to seeing what 74% + aero wheels + aero helmet produce, especially after the 8-9 more huge rides on the calendar before race day).
    - Shoulders fatigued at 35 (damn swim), neck at 50, legs at 70 or so. Need to push all that fatigue to Mile 113.
    - Nutrition and hydration fine. They demolished my beach bathroom in Palm Beach, so I almost had to make a water balloon out of my new DeSoto shorts and explode it (free tip: this is a good way to shake a drafter on race day).

Run: 6 miles. 3 out at 8:28 avg., legs felt like cement until 1.5, felt great by 3, ran the back half at 7:26 avg. Absolutely cooked by the end.

Another free tip: sunscreen your lower back if you can get separation. My 13yo daughter: "Dad, can I take a picture of your Tramp Stamp Sunburn and post it on Instagram?" I'm raising a monster.

Hope everyone had a safe, productive day. If you need me, I'll be napping.

• boy. some serious work getting done out there folks. Inspiring.
    3 hrs on the trainer including 5x20 then actually got outside for an hour.
    The neck problem that I am having that makes it hard to look up the road in aero is slowly going away. I have never had so many little setbacks preparing for a race. Gonna just keep plugging along
  • @Jeff, welcome to the Chamois Butt'r family. An absolute life saver. It's like your private Secret Service detail - go out on a long ride without it, you may have to save your own a$$. For really long rides, I like to use a small amount - a glob somewhere between the size of a golfball and a baseball.

@SS, I threw up a little in my mouth when I saw 4:20 next to the word "trainer." I honestly can't comprehend how you did that. I would have put my bike on eBay by Hour 3.

@Jimmy, my body always objects once the volume goes up - neck, lower back, knees, Achilles, feet, etc. If not serious, they typically fade away after a couple weeks, when the body finally realizes that resistance is futile. I went through a couple of really sketchy weeks late last month, but got through it. I suspect you're going to be just fine.

@Annie, great job, keep plugging away, getting that work in when life allows it.
  • @SS... I did trainer rides like that last year in NH so I know just how hard they are physically and mentally.... Those and your consistency are going to pay you back on 5/17.

@MR.... Thats an impressive big day. Love the instagram comment!

@Annie.... Do what you can and keep after it.... Make sure you get out and do a couple long days SOLO... I've never tried UCAN and I'm not too interested in racing with it even if I like it since its not on the course... I have considered trying it as part of a carbo load the day before a race.... Sometimes I used Carbopro for this...

@Jimmy .... sounds like your staying in your box and working one set back at a time... its the way to get there! Keep moving forward and solving the problems as the occur!

Swim Meet for me today..... competing in the 25yd in 14:62 , 50yd in 33:28 , 100yd in 1:14 , and the 500yd in 7:26....No blocks to start from but did dive from edge of pool to start except the 500yd I did an in water start...... Happy with my times and effort and I got beat by a 78 year old guy in the 25,50,100 but I beat him in the 500.... Ha take that old man from someone 27 years your junior.... The amazing thing was watching him swim the entire 50yd race on 1 breath.... Yep the initial breath was all he took and swam it in 31 seconds....

All in all swam 2100yds and did a 30 min easy bike at IF .55 as a recovery ride and to check my PM after failure yesterday.... The PM appeared normal today with a new battery which is odd since I just replaced it a couple weeks ago....
  • Big day done!  Went well.  Had a little gap b/w swim and ride (had to taxi the boys home from tae kwon do), but got right off the bike and ran.  First time using the flo 60 front and wheelcover in back....really could tell it's faster.  Love the sound!  A few sketchy moments with handling the first hour, but by the end I didn't even notice or had adjusted to the occasional "redirect" with a gust.  

Swam 3400yds, per the plan, plus an additional 400 at the end.  Bike was a little over 4hrs (extended to get 80 miles....thanks MR!).  Did the 5 x 20' at 0.75-.8 (a little hard to do with some hills, but did my best).  Then dialed in at 0.7 for the last 2+ hrs.  Very happy to see that my avg speed the last 2+hours with an IF of 0.71 with the aero wheels on a flat course was just under 20mph.  Still will have to look at the chart and test that IF for the full 112 (this week at camp!).  I am not a strong runner (or cyclist or swimmer for that matter!), so I have to make sure my TSS is in the "green zone" for sure.   Nutrition was 48oz Perform/hr and one PB gel/hr.  Seemed fine.  Needed to pee about mile 60.  

http://app.strava.com/activities/121011657/analysis

Had to slow myself down at first on the run, then kinda hit a "dead legs" spell for first 2 miles.  But it faded, and I was able to do the last 30min at Z2 feeling fine.  Nutrition was 4oz Perform/mile, gel every 30mins.  

http://app.strava.com/activities/121012140

Sure helps to see all you guys/gals' workouts and comments....don't think I could keep this up by myself.