Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Tour de France 2015 (SPOILERS!!)

Any suggestions of the best site to get information about the Tour, details like the power, gears, news about the bikes...?

Comments

• Options
    Can't make a suggestion there, sorry.

just wanted to share my frustration that the nbc sports nightly recap show is on at 11pm CST now, and not at the usual 7-8. So now, if I miss the stage, I have to wait until the next day to see the recap. Grrr.
  • Options
    i've got my TiVo locked and loaded for the next three weeks.

Good to see the same cast of characters at NBC including my favorite, Bob Roll. Jens should be a great add this year too.

Things of interest that I noted were a bunch using Rotor Cranksets. Some interesting aero bars and surprisingly, a few without electronic shifters.

Looking forward to a week of crashes as we get sorted out!
  • Options

We cut cable a while ago so I'm on an Apple TV. Tonight I'm going to get setup / pop for a Tour pass or whatever so I can watch it this year. 

Any tips on ^this^, best option to take? 

• Options
    Don't know if this works for you,but I got the NBC Tour app for my iPad, and transmit it via AirPlay thru my Apple TV to the Big Screen. Shows entire TDF video feed with no commercials, and all Phil n Paul Commentary, but not the "features" which take us away from the actual race. Replay available a few hours after the race ends. Real time race "radio" feed accompanies live video/audio. Full stats and post race interviews, race maps and profile, etc. Worth the $20 IMO.
  • Options
    Hi Al,
    That sounds interesting. When you say full stats ... what do you mean, how detail? It is just time by participant, or speed in the different parts of the stage?
  • Options
    This article might help: http://digg.com/2015/tour-de-france-2015-watch-how-to

Ignore the intro stuff and just go to Where and When, you might find something in addition to the usual Phil and Paul show.
  • Options
    For those unable to watch it on TV (like folks stuck on US military bases in Japan with AFN as your only TV source), www.steephill.tv gives access to live streams.
  • Options
    Just found in Training Peaks good information about each stage, including power, speed in detail. http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/2015-power-analysis-tour-de-france-week-1
  • Options

Posted By Al Truscott on 04 Jul 2015 08:07 PM

Don't know if this works for you,but I got the NBC Tour app for my iPad, and transmit it via AirPlay thru my Apple TV to the Big Screen. Shows entire TDF video feed with no commercials, and all Phil n Paul Commentary, but not the "features" which take us away from the actual race. Replay available a few hours after the race ends. Real time race "radio" feed accompanies live video/audio. Full stats and post race interviews, race maps and profile, etc. Worth the $20 IMO.

I don't have an i-Pad (would have to "borrow" it from Joanne) so I paid $29 for we access. I log in, watch it on my Macbook, streaming it to the big screen. However, I discovered that the replay function only lets you see the replay of that day's stage. So I can't go back and watch yesterday's stage, which I missed while riding.

I was hoping for a web version of Tivo, where I could back and revisit any stages I missed, at any time. Kinda bummed. 

• Options
    cycling news tour app with good basic info.   two dollars.
  • Options

dennis rohan fastest time trial for the tour ever yesterday.

today Spartacus sprints for yellow!

• Options
    For anyone that uses FlipBoard, there is a pretty good news aggregator here:  https://flipboard.com/@ovanrijswijk/le-tour-de-france-9ec3dn0rz
  • Options

So last night I watched Stage 3 and the crash.

Why didn't Trek send some riders back to ride with Cancellara??? Maybe since he's not a GC contender and therefore not really concerned with overall time they decided to hang him out to dry? Still, not cool, IMO, to have the yellow jersey riding by himself, often with other riders sitting on him vs working with him to close a gap. 

• Options
    ^^^ I think they knew he was fried. That was a heck of a wreck. He is "lucky" it was dirt. Asphalt would have shredded him.

How about today! Tony Martin after a bike swap?!? Wow.
  • Options

Posted By Coach Rich on 07 Jul 2015 04:33 PM

So last night I watched Stage 3 and the crash.

Why didn't Trek send some riders back to ride with Cancellara??? Maybe since he's not a GC contender and therefore not really concerned with overall time they decided to hang him out to dry? Still, not cool, IMO, to have the yellow jersey riding by himself, often with other riders sitting on him vs working with him to close a gap. 

I think he knew just what his injury was - the same (fractured Lumbar vertebral processes - "broken back") as he had earlier this year, except on the other side. He probably told his DS he couldn't contend for the win or even stay near the front, so he might as well toodle in with the grupetto, get some X-Rays, and then decide whether to quit.

Too bad; he and Tony Martin are the only guys able to hold off a small bunch of literally the best cyclists in world for 3 km at the end of a 220 km stage over pavé. One can only imagine what might have been if, when Martin popped out, Cancellara grabbed his wheel. A drag race between the two best flat land riders on the planet

Yeah, Martin's win is a reminder... you don't *really* need a newer "better" bike. Just thighs the size of a Douglas Fir. My favorite part of the race today was his genuine smile of unadulterated joy at the finish. All the work he's done over the years hauling Cav  - first on HTC Columbia, now on Quickstep - from km 3 to 1 for all those wins (to say nothing of long pulls before the end). His TT wins are well-deserved, but this was bike RACING.

• Options
    Those red shoes on Astana are just terrible. Is Borat selecting their uniforms? Giant in blue kicks, however, looks pretty slick.

Team Sky's blue Pin rigs also look pretty great in the pack.
  • Options

Posted By Dino Sarti on 07 Jul 2015 09:31 PM
    Those red shoes on Astana are just terrible. Is Borat selecting their uniforms? Giant in blue kicks, however, looks pretty slick.

Team Sky's blue Pin rigs also look pretty great in the pack.
    Dino, I expect a full critique of the podium girls' outfits. The KOM ladies are notorious for lack of fashion sense...

And while we're at it, Prudomme should give Hinault a larger clothes per diem. He's been wearing the same open necked sports shirt and slacks since the turn of the century.
  • Options
    I dont get the podium stuffed animals. They look like little creatures that would come back to haunt my dreams.
  • Options

For those who've cut the cable cable...

I bought the web access via my Mac. Set up Mac close to the TV and connect it via HDMI cable vs Airplay. The picture quality is better and much less jerky with this hard line connection. I then work the controls via a Bluetooth mouse on the arm of my recliner. Only glitch is that every now and then the page will freeze, reload, and take me back to the start of the replay coverage. I don't know if this is a function of the server or my connection. 

Just Phil and Paul coverage, with Jens being brought in every now and then and I'm not getting the Bobke and whatever other pre / post game stuff they're doing. No commercials either

• Options
    Great stage today! It was a little boring since the weather was so nice, but there was still a little action and I think the direction of the tour near term may have changed.

It's late, but I have a few random, unconnected thoughts:

- Just gutted for Tony Martin. By the looks of it, he is out. That arm position just screams "broken clavicle". I guess the good news is that it was not really anyone's fault. I hope the Sardinian Shark is OK. Amazing how many GC guys were mixed up in that. Froome rides away and Tejay seems no worse for wear.

- When did Andrew Talanski become Levi Liphiemer? I know there are a lot of spelling errors there, I know. But, it's late and I don't want to google them. I saw the post show interview and Andrew REALLY looks like Levi.

- Speaking of looks, what's deal Tyler Farrar? He looks like some kind of 70's "Joe Dirt"? The dirty beard and the 2 inch pony tail? Really? I think he is the only dude in the pack racking a mullet. Is he still the guy that is always "so close", but never seems to win sprint? Now he is the lead out guy for MTN? Do we need to know about him just because he is an American and we are watching the American telecast?

- Daniel from MTN takes the KOM jersey "for Africa". Is that really a story with 3 points? Not be a hater, but it actually seems like a non-story they are creating.

- Sagan is beast. I think that guy is going to topple the Russian Gorilla pretty soon. He is just so consistent and is even free lancing. Crazy.

- Lastly, I NBC Sports on in my office all day hoping to catch a mid-day replay. NASCAR was on ALL day. Is that possible? Do those guys do laps all day?
  • Options
    Tony has a compound fracture to the collar bone and is out. What a roller coaster of a week it's been for him. I was just glad Gripel didn't shoot out from nowhere yesterday. The nbc guys are giving Cavindish a hard time, pretty much calling him out on losing his touch. I'd like to see him take one to shut them up.
  • Options

Turns out that Katusha likes to Party! Luca was doing blow! No wonder he grinds his teeth and talks soooo much in the peloton.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cycling/33489804
  • Options
    My favorite quote from the Velonews article about Paolini: “We’re very surprised because cocaine is not a substance that improves performance.”
  • Options
    Yes! ^^^^ that was the winner.
  • Options
    NASCAR & Country Music, bigger than anything in this country, and you wonder why bible thumping conservatives are so strong, Dino, we live in the educated Blue states, the red states are a very different land than our America.
  • Options

Chris Froome looks unbeatable. The evidence? On today's TTT, he spent so much time @ the front, it appeared as if he could have won the whole thing if he'd done it solo.

On paper, Sky has the best team for the mountains, but don't count out Valverde, Quintana, and Movistar. And my homeboy, Tejay (born in Tacoma, where I live most of the time; home base in Aspen, where I live the rest of the time) will make the podium this year.

• Options
    How is it I'm just now finding this thread? Today's TTT was surprisingly exciting (ok- mostly at the end), but BMC with just 1 second was a nail biter. I would have liked to see a few more seconds for Tejay taken out of Froome, but he's still in a great position and considering the yellow jersey seems to have a jinx on it this year, I'm perfectly happy for him to not be wearing it just yet.

As for the Podium Hostess dresses, yes, I'd agree that normally the KOM ladies win the ugliest dress contest- but I don't think it's too bad this year considering you gotta work in polka dots some how. On the other hand, the Green Jersey hostesses this year (as well as in a few prior years) have been handed a seriously ugly rag to wear. Anyone remember those hideous jumpsuits a few years ago?
  • Options
    The hostesses always seem off to me. Maybe it's cultural. I can keep my eyes off some of the kits.

I am very excited about the mountains. Nibali's has a lot of work to do. Alberto as well. He seems to always be at the front, but he is way down the standings.

I am eager to see Nairo fly. I think is the guy that can make Froome cry when it get's steep.

I am cheering my heart out for Tejay, but he strikes me always being the a bridesmaid and never the bride. I hope not, but that's what my gut says....