Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Tour de France 2015 (SPOILERS!!)

Comments

• Options

Random observations after Day 1 on the mountains:

• Impressive performance by Froome, attacking Quintana with over 6k (I think) to go. Didn't look like a particularly steep section where, I think, Q's higher w/kg (?) would have an advantage.
    • Then Richie Porte bridges up to Q to kinda drive the nail in the coffin a bit. More importantly, a guy who sat on the front doing tempo to launch his team leader is then able to bridge a considerable gap back up to one of the race favorites...who was not able to respond to his team leaders attack on a not-very-steep bit of road. 
    • For this, hats off to Sky for likely having the best doping program in the sport. Sorry, too many years of watching Tours to think anything different.
    • But I'm going to have to penalized Froome about a minute for looking completely awkward on the bike: head down, then up, then down again, then up, elbow all over the place, etc. 
    • Contador dropped by a 20 person peleton, 2-3 of whom are his guys who then nurse him along. Not a good sign.
    • Nibali getting dropped before Contador. Also not good. 

As an aside, I've sorta been following the Sky motorhome footprint controversy. I can see how it could be a big advantage for a team leader, basically getting off the bike and then going straight in the bus to have all needs met while horizontal until it's time to get back on the bike again. Also, probably lots of opportunities hide and control access to "stuff" in a motorhome that never leaves the site of the team. 

• Options

Posted By Coach Rich on 14 Jul 2015 05:33 PM
    • But I'm going to have to penalized Froome about a minute for looking completely awkward on the bike: head down, then up, then down again, then up, elbow all over the place, etc. 
    Rich - This is what Froome does.  Have you ever seen the "Froome Looking at Stems" montage:  http://chrisfroomelookingatstems.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Was Froome ever involved in massive auto wreck or plane crash? His arms look they were both broken and then mended strangely? They seems to bend oddly? It's very distracting...

Looks like Nibali and Contador might be riding riding clean this year.....

I agree regarding Sky. As Lance Armstrong (who was actually mentioned today by Paul Sherwin) used to say: "Not Normal".
  • Options

Posted By Dino Sarti on 15 Jul 2015 01:30 AM

I agree regarding Sky. As Lance Armstrong (who was actually mentioned today by Paul Sherwin) used to say: "Not Normal".
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...trong.html

• Options
    There is some speculation that the watts/kg for Froome, given what he rode on that stage, are higher than Quintana's.
    http://sportsscientists.com/2015/07/day-1-in-the-mountains-one-more-pixel-context-mistrust/

Aaaaand I seem to recall him missing a test recently, but I could be wrong. sigh.

The worst part is that it's just painful to watch him ride! Perhaps the elbow thing comes from his early years as a mountain biker? But if his form was learned as a MTBer- he must have hit a lot of trees because he never looks up the road!

John- I hadn't seen the Froome looking at Stems thing before, that's hilarious.

He does have an adorable cat though.
  • Options

Posted By Dino Sarti on 15 Jul 2015 01:30 AM

Was Froome ever involved in massive auto wreck or plane crash? His arms look they were both broken and then mended strangely? They seems to bend oddly? It's very distracting...

Jess and I thought the same thing...   He looks like this: 

• Options
    I had heard that Froome had a thing for looking at stems but hadn't seen it action and the collection of pics is pretty funny :-)
  • Options
    In retrospect it seems Movistar and Garmin made a grave tactical error yesterday by forcing the pace in lieu of letting Sky defend the jersey. Letting them keep Porte and Thomas fresh was a mistake. I haven't seen today's stage yet, but with multiple climbs and yesterday's effort, the Sky train may not be as omnipotent. But when you have a freak of nature like Froome, it may not matter.

Speaking of which, at the very pointy end, athletes don't look like normal humans. See: Micheal Phelps, LeBron Jame , and whatever little pixie is currently the worlds best female gymnast. Drugs or no drugs, he's one in a billion, with the added bonus of growing his cardiovascular system in Kenyas rarified air, like Quintana in Columbia. Arriving at altitude in your late teens - eg Tejaiy in Colorado - is appently not good enough.
  • Options
    So does Quintana ride 650's? And just how tiny is he anyway? Standing on the podium he's still shorter than the Podium Hostesses! I just love that guy. He's adorable. It's impossible not to root for him.
  • Options
    OUCH! That's the first time I think I've seen a near full montey of a Pro at TDF. Don't they have a spare pair of shorts for these guys?
  • Options
    Yesterday (Stage 12) was juts fantastic. The rain, those attacks, it was just great. I am glad to see a little life left in Contador and Nibali. Hopefully, it will add to the excitement as they attack Froomie.

Valverde is becoming one of my favorites. I never thought much about him, but now I think I have little man crush going..... *sigh*
  • Options

Yeah, over the past couple foyers, I've developed a grudging respect for Valverde. Grudging, because he does have that recent doping suspension. But he is a very smart racer, knows his body well, and has a giant heart and competitive streak. As well as being willing to play the mentor role with Quintana. He's what Peter Sagan could be, if he wanted to.

Peraud: I was convinced he broke his wrist in that fall, to say nothing of rising his skin off down to his femoral vessels. It seems like the idea of quitting never crossed his mind, only "how am I gonna get back on my bike and back into this race I already lost over a week ago?"

• Options
    Although a little sad to see Tejay drop down to 3rd, it was great to see Quintana put in some attacks today and put pressure on Froome. Sure, in the end, it didn't seem to really hurt Froome at all, but it was great to see a real head to head battle without the whole Sky team there to do the work. I was a little surprised that when it became evident Sagan wasn't going to be able to follow the attacks on the break-a-way, that he didn't fall back to help Contadore. But then again, Contadore did have other helpers around (I think?).
  • Options
    What? No chatter about yesterday's stage? That was fantastic! OK, there could have been a few more fireworks in the yellow jersey category to spice that up, but the break-away finishing just as the yellow jersey riders were about to start the climb couldn't have been scripted any better! It pained me to see Sagan come across in 2nd. It pains me that he's stuck on a team with Contadore (who as you all know, I don't really care for). But perhaps this is another good building year for him and his time will come. I just love watching him ride (as apposed to Froome).

Do you think Tejay will ever attack? Or do you think he's essentially riding to protect 3rd at this point?
  • Options
    @Nemo, I think Tejay trained under Cadel's tutelage too long. I don't think he's aggressive at all, just covering what he can. But a lot of people, himself included, have also said that he's more of a "diesel", where he can ramp up and go constantly. Not the sharp accelerations/attacks that the other riders can show.
    At this point, I think most are trying for table scraps off of Team Sky's table - the other podium positions.

That spill that Geraint Thomas took off that descent into Gap could've been WAY bad. I'm glad he didn't get hurt.

And, holy cow, can Sagan descend! That guy can do everything! That is, except win a stage. Poor guy, nobody wants to work with him because nobody can match his skillset.
  • Options

Yep, yesterday was a good stage. Sagan is fun to watch and Barguil is an idiot. Totally blew his braking point and line for that corner, slamming right into Thomas. 

• Options
    Yeah, I was really surprised Thomas was able to just get up and ride it in after that crash. It must have looked worse than it was.
  • Options

Posted By Nemo Brauch on 21 Jul 2015 03:14 PM

Yeah, I was really surprised Thomas was able to just get up and ride it in after that crash. It must have looked worse than it was.

If you watch the video, Barguil's line was sooooo wrong compared to everyone else. Don't know what he was thinking but he did a great job of using Thomas as a bumper to make the turn...

• Options
    The French guys are under a lot of pressure to make something happen. The French teams have just not been a factor.

Sagan is the man! Imagine if he had help of any kind....

I like Tejay, but he is playing defense for 3rd place. Mark my words, he is holding on during the climbs. We will not see Tejay launch a single attack unless Froome completely cracks.
  • Options

Posted By Nemo Brauch on 21 Jul 2015 03:14 PM
    Same spot where Beloki got into trouble & ended his career with a broken pelvis while while Armstrong free-Lanced across a field in ?02. Maybe they shouldn't go down that road into Gap?
  • Options
    Got back from my workout , turned on the tour for the first few minutes of the stage and found out Tejay is sick. :-( Bummer.
  • Options
    On a brighter note, did you hear what Thomas's response was to medical when they stopped to check on him? They asked "What's your name" and he said "Chris Froome"! HA HA HA!
  • Options
    I'm watching "live" on NBC Sports (missed the first hour) right now and Tejay just abandoned!! What the hell?
    Guess we'll ultimately hear what happened, but holy post-rest day blues!
  • Options

Posted By Scott Alexander on 22 Jul 2015 08:12 AM

I'm watching "live" on NBC Sports (missed the first hour) right now and Tejay just abandoned!! What the hell?

Guess we'll ultimately hear what happened, but holy post-rest day blues!

Just saw that news as well.  I'm so bummed!  I hope it's nothing too serious.  Interesting, the BMC "rest day" promo videos didn't show him at all, which is unusual.  

• Options

Posted By Dino Sarti on 21 Jul 2015 06:34 PM
    The French guys are under a lot of pressure to make something happen. The French teams have just not been a factor.

Sagan is the man! Imagine if he had help of any kind....

I like Tejay, but he is playing defense for 3rd place. Mark my words, he is holding on during the climbs. We will not see Tejay launch a single attack unless Froome completely cracks.
    Like I said, we will not see Tejay launch a single attack....
  • Options
    My first thought is stomach bug. Sounded like Cavie had a touch of one last week after the rest day when he announced on national TV that he had the runs... Cha cha cha.
  • Options
    The question is, with Tejay now out, will Valverde be a good teammate and work to help Quintana attach Froome in a chance for yellow (if it's not already too late), or will he be more worried about defending his 3rd place finish on the podium?
  • Options
    With Contador soo far behind, I beleive Valverde will still work for Nairo. There are a few more mountain stages and both Nairo and Valverde look ok... the problem is that Froome is not showing any weaknesses, no bad days, and his team is very good. I like that at least they are still trying.

Sad to that Tejay is out, but a little disappointed that not once did he try to attack, maybe he was not feeling well, or maybe he was happy in third place... who knows.

And what is up with Barguil, almost kill Thomas, should he stop and help? ... the Tour needs to balance more the spectacle with the safety of the riders...
  • Options
    As much as I like TJ, I think the writing is now on the wall for what he is which is not a grand tour winner without 2 long time trials, a team TT, and other riders bad luck. When it comes to the climbs, I have never really seen him attack, except for that one year where he was already out of it because of a bad day. I wonder whether he knows his body that well or just isn't willing to take that ultimate risk of accelerating out of fear of blowing up.

As much as I'm not a Contador fan, at least he's trying something different. He got away earlier in the climb today, but just didn't hold it.

Nibali also has some guts. He could have waved the white flag, but even he is constantly attacking trying to do something.

Froome is still very strong, but today with Contador and later with Quintana he didn't close it down as hastily as he did in the previous stages. The question now becomes about whether he's got this time thing so well calculated that he doesn't need to chase immediately or is he starting to weaken? Either way, I think it's still a few days too short for the field to gain time. If the tour had another 3 days in the Alps, it would get really interesting.......lengthen the tour to 24 riding days!!!!
  • Options
    That was a beautiful climb! I feel bad for Jacob Fulsang, he's one of my long time favorites and has been having some bad luck. Today might have ended differently without the motorcycle crash.

Already starting to feel a bit sad about it being over. Only 2 more real days of racing (with Mark Renshaw abandoning, Cavendish is out, the last day is pretty much wrap for Greipel) and it just feels like the air has already gone out of the balloon for everyone.