Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Marc's Micro

Comments

• Options
    Marc -

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. That is bottom line utterly ridiculous. I don't know if it's possible in any way to recoup the money that you lost, but I don't see any problem in posting your experience to the team so they can avoid the same pitfall. Especially because there will be no way for them to recover their lost money as well. What a nightmare.

I don't know how you want to proceed with the bike, but Todd can deftly point you in the right direction regarding the most reliable and effective solution. I would trust his advice implicitly.

I don't think weekly injections into your feet are sustainable. I think the surgery is probably your best option, but again I would ask the team in the injury forum. As anyone had the surgery done? What does the recovery time I look like? How about rehab? Let an athlete tell you not just a doctor.

If at all possible I would do some sort of surgery with a combination of the dietary clothes to help you lose weight and stay focused body composition wise. Then we can get you on a recovery program and into the out season.

I am happy to talk to you on the fourth but always ready to help you here anytime.

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Hey coach ... Merry Christmas ... quick question, doing a great job working on body composition and started DOS a little behind due to bike availability and getting everything working on my Kickr ... in a nutshell, I think my greatest benefit for 2017 will be to get my body slimmed down to a lighter me .... do you agree? So my plan is this, keep working on composition and do as much of DOS as I can ... stop short in order to get the full 20 weeks in prior to IMLP in July. Let me know your thoughts .... talk soon!

Peace - Marc

Marc
  • Options
    Marc, thanks for the note...yes body composition is a TOP priority. But we don't have to do the full 20 weeks to be ready for IM...so keep rolling DEC OS... Remember that it's critical we do something every day. It's that daily process which sets the foundation through which are goals are achieved. In this case, your goal being body composition. Exercising helps that, use the OS to as a format for training as you try different strategies nutritionally to achieve the faster improvement what your body composition is recommended. I'm willing to sacrifice quality of a few sessions a week if that means we can continue to knock off some pounds. image

Is there a way I can track your progress? Are you on myfitnesspal.com?

Have a great holiday!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Coach ... doing everything I can and dedicated as ever. Just in a conundrum really ... but I'll get where I need to be. Did my bike workout this morning, finally have trainer set up and calibrated and have been getting rides in for about an hour the past week, this morning it was a real struggle but did what I could. Gonna do "bike test" next week. Calorie intake has been about 1200 calories a day for about 6 weeks and down about 20 pounds, clipping along about -2 pounds per week. Here's the rub ... to get energized workouts in, consistently, need more food or carbs I think but the ONLY way I can lose consistently is protein and paleo like eating, not necessarily workout faire. I've done so many tests to identify metabolism, food allergies, sensitivities, blood work, testosterone, natural doctors, Inside Tracker, yada yada, yada. I was at 230 in June, at a significant plateau, and my "natural" doctor told me I was not eating enough based on my level of activity so I increased calories like he said (natural foods) I don't eat like crap and since then ramped up to 269 albeit since CDA my activity has dropped off but getting back bike and into OS has proven positive. Been reading book called 4 Hour Body and per that author been having one day a week that I eat whatever I want then clamping it down for the next 6 days. Hormone manipulation seems to be working with this system. Weight trend is straight south so I think I am onto something ... today is day 6, my cheat day is on Saturday's ... really suffered on bike today (day 6) ... but weighed in at 249 this AM ... short term goal is 210, sub 200 by LP. It's a journey ... I do track my nutrition through MFP (how do I share so you can watch), funny fact, during ramp up to CDA and while eating more calories per dr's instructions I was eating a ton of chicken and salmon ... turns out I have food sensitivities (allergic) to chicken and salmon so had to cut those out ... 2016 has been quite a fact finding mission and I am looking forward to that sweet moment in Olympic Stadium in 211 days, but who's counting!

Marc
  • Options
    Marc, hey!!! I love Tim Ferriss and his work...so keep that experimentation up. That's crazy funny about your food sensitivity...you are clearly unstoppable! image

My personal take on this is to do what the Core Diet folks say: Eat healthy all day, every day BUT when you workout you need workout fare.

IOW, the goal is to lose everyday calories, not workout calories.

So when I am on the plan, it's the baseline calories you need (say 1600). But when you are burning 1500 in a long run, then you need to eat 1500 calories for your workout. This might be gel 15' before, food and fluids during session, then a protein shake when done to get calories in. Then you are back on track.

It was ironic that to lose weight, I had to eat more during exercise than ever before. But it really helped me be "good" the rest of the day....and it made working out fun again, as I had really been suffering!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Coach Patrick ... hope you are well!  Hanging with the Celtics, nice!  Been a bit since I sent some info ... I am in the OS Weight Loss Thread, down to .... drum roll .... 239.5! My goal (which I am tracking ahead of) is 220 by the end of the OS challenge, then I'll go low.  Started JOS ... been getting the rides in most of the time  ... only running once a week though in order to lessen impact on joints feet etc.  Have had some severe back spasms but Pilates is helping me with that quite successfully.  I do my bike on Saturday then a swim, bike, run indoor session every Sunday morning for about 1.5 hours.  The Tim Ferris approach has really been effective ... somehow I discovered dark chocolate covered blueberries that seem to be my fat's kryptonite.  SO I think I am on track to triangulate everything by spring to be at a great place with body composition, good level of increased fitness for the ramp to Quassy and LP.  Wish I could do the LP camp but three trips to the NE would not be good for my work. A couple of questions ...

1) Bike workouts, I do not think my test was accurate at the start of OS, don't get me wrong, the workouts are pretty challenging but my FTP was quite low ... about 150-160 ... it is all in the TR program so should I push it higher before the retest or leave it alone.  Maybe that is what it is but with my Kickr in Erg mode some sections of the session seem easier at 200 watts than 100 watts ... weird, I think I will recalibrate at the next test ... or should I do that now?

2) What is your opinion of focusing on the bike and a SBR on Sundays until I hit my goal weight ... then start logging the miles on the run? My thought process is creeping up on performance while keeping my joints healthy and fresh and stay injury free.

3) In order to really get ready for Placid, here is my schedule ... do you think the Colorado rides below will be too much that close to Placid? The timing really works nice for my week 18 long race prep, with hills, at some high altitude with lots of climbing.  No swim or run though ... what are your thoughts?

12 March - Wichita SBR 500yd / 6miles / 2 miles
    9 April - Red Bud classic 5 or 10K
    7 May - Wichita SBR 400yd / 12 miles / 5K
    4 June - Quassy Half
    8 & 9 July - Colorado, Triple Bypass, 120 miles each way, 11K climbing each way, back to back days
    23 July - IMLP

I'll probably schedule a call at mid point of JOS to check in ...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    Marc

• Options
    @Marc Taylor - Thanks for this update! I'm really excited to hear how much progress you made what the body composition. That is no small feat, and I applaud you for it!  :sweat_smile:

No worries on not being able to get to Lake Placid, we have plenty of resources for you on the site that can help.... Let me know if you need help finding them.

1. Sometimes that first test of the winter can be low. If you have data in Trainer Road that proves you can ride faster, by all means manually adjust the workouts to make them more challenging. Ideally you wouldn't have to retest, but if you need to, you can do that on a Tuesday after Monday off. 

2. Interesting question regarding the bike in your body composition. It is my experience that running is the best bang for your buck in terms of losing weight. Giving your limiter with your body, I would say that interval training on the bike combined with some time on your feet will do you good. I say"time on your feet" because this could include a weekly long hike. Count those steps every day, set a goal and try to beat it!  

That means I would take the general out season week, keep the bikes on Tuesday, Thursday, weekend.... And then work in some long walks or walk/run on the Monday Wednesday Friday.

I think the Colorado riding will be epic. We do this sport so we can do cool $hit like that... :joy:

By that point time you should be sufficiently tired from the run, so we'll just have to make sure that you stay sharp over those final two weeks on your feet. Not an issue!!

Let me know what you think about modifying this weekLy layout!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Coach P .... Always great to hear from you ... agree on all fronts! One thought is my reebok body mill cross trainer, would that do the job for time on my feet? It is basically a cross country ski machine with programmed time and resistance ability. Controlled slide with arm action but no pounding. So do you think doing my "run" work on it will give me adequate work?

I can control heart rate zones easier on it too unlike the running right now where I have two gears ... low and high lol. 

Onward and upward (or downward as relates to my weight)!

MT

• Options
    @Marc Taylor - yeah...that would be a great alternative. I'd still like to see you get out (frequently)...so think of a thursday hour session as 45' indoors and then a 15' session running (or vice versa). Can you do something like that? 
  • Options
    @Marc Taylor - Good call today! As I mentioned, I'd like to see you get in those two rides and two walk runs. Looking at your Training Peaks, I think it would look like this: 

Mon - Off
    Tue - Walk/Run
    Wed - Bike + Short 15' Run
    Thu - Swim 
    Fri - Walk/Run
    Sat - Swing Day...
    Sun - GYM Swim Bike Run

If you were feeling like overachieving, you could do that scheduled Bike Workout as planned on your trainer. In that case, Sunday would be a very Light Bike as you swim and run more. Or just go outside if it's nice. One day it WILL BE NICE OUT!!!  :smile:

If you're tired, you could just swim or even do a hike. We just want to keep you aerobic. 

If you have any adjustments to those days are your schedule, let me know and I'll be happy to make them!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Go time ... coach, loaded IM plan to get ready for Quassy last week and really cranked up activity ... running is coming along nicely ... Stryd has been logging data ... eating more and focusing. Baby steps but fun to see/feel improvements ... still a long way to go ... trusting the process/plan. Have had a very wet start to spring so still on trainer for bike sessions ... hope to get outside this weekend to ride.

Question ... trainer sessions on bike, how do they compare to actual rides?  Since this is my first season coming out of winter indoors, Will I be surprised with outdoor sessions or demoralized?  Still feeling my way ... this truly is a three year process lol!

Hope you are well ... talk soon.

MT
  • Options
    @Marc Taylor - great to hear from you...was talking to Todd Kenyon today and you came up! 

Transitioning outside takes time for sure, but the numbers don't match (in and out) so it will take some time. For example, I can ride harder outside, for longer as the trainer just crushes my soul. But I'm not miraculously fitter, it's just more fun and I like to get after it.

Keep chipping away my friend, you are fighting the good fight!
  • Options
    He's such a good guy, hope I've represented EN well in my interactions with him ... I was down on myself today because I missed my swim this morning (sleep) and told myself, self, You are going to die at quassy and Placid? It'll be here before you know it ... I responded to myself ... don't be too hard on me ... the main goal was body composition and WHAT a change. 268 before thanksgiving and flirting with 225 (lightest I've been in 20 years) ...  I have gotten a lot stronger in the pool ... been indoor biking since January (not like a maniac) pretty consistently, that's improved AND I'm much more comfortable running than I was heading to CDA ... lighting up Pilates sessions and much more limber!  So ... in a good place after the talk with myself. The plan I loaded is for a full ending at Quassy ... learn from that race and get ready for Placid. Year of Aquarius (my sign) is aligning to bring me some luck and mojo!

TRUST ... that's what I have to do now, follow the plan and execute! Looking forward to it unfolding. I saw a sign leaving my Pilates gym yesterday that said "You have to see the invisible to do the impossible" ... let's roll!

MT

• Options
    @Marc Taylor - You ARE in a great place. So glad you were able to find the perspective on that today. Not only are you better off than 99% of the general population, you are doing better than most "athletes" out there as well. 

Not every day is your day...nail the ones you are given!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Coach ...ok ... sneaking up on me is Quassy half ... staying really active ... swim I'm ready ... did 2 miles in 64 minutes this weekend with no flip turns in the pool and no wet suit. Bike I'll be as ready as I can be and run is progressing. Execution plan will be spot on thanks to coach input and encouragement. 

Here's taboo ... I bought a new Roubaix and it is much more comfortable to me than my SHIV ... would I be an outcast if I rode rogue on a road bike in Quassy for the half? The threads I've read say no but I'm at the place where comfort and confidence will carry me further than "being on the proper bike". 

Hope me you are well ... talk soon!
    Marc
  • Options
    @Marc Taylor - I love how your work is stacking up! I think that your road bike plan is fine...you need two bottle cages....etc...there's so much climbing...and you aren't racing now....that I think it's okay.

You Can Go Your Own Way....  :mrgreen:

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Coach P ... thanks, I'll make my Gina decision after my weekend workouts. I'll do this weekend on the Shiv and go from there!  Working with LBS to have a different gear set up on Shiv that will make climbing better. Take off my 11-28 to give me better climbing.

Also, training ... I jumped over to the Advanced Half TP this week so I could do the week 18 workouts as a sanity check getting ready for  Quassy ... will jump back to full plan when I get home. Thoughts?

I'll look for course notes on the Quassy ride and hope I can hack it .... my fitness is much better than CDA last year and mentally I need to get over the finish to be in a good place heading to LP. 

Nervous but ready!?

MT
  • Options
    @Marc Taylor - How about nervous AND prepared. I like the idea of Week 18 into Quassy, good gut check. YES to more gears for sure..that bike is crazy. Again, think about hydration set up as you do that bike choice process. 

You have come quite far, now we just need to put that fitness into a race. There will be ups and downs, just focus on your process and keep chugging along. Can't wait to hi five you out there!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Coach P ... so far so good this week ... 100% of workouts in the books ... did 3500 in the pool in 57 minutes ... 1:39/100 ... runs good ... bike on trainer today due to 40 mph wind ... long run tomorrow then the weekend! 

Doesn't make me feel confident when the coach says the bike is crazy!
  • Options
    @Marc Taylor - I have to be honest, there's no use and the lying to you. That said, you are also crazy. Look how consistent you've been and how much good work you've done this year. I'm super pumped for you but also want you to understand that a good race on a course like Quassy is not about the final time on the clock. I am 99% sure that nobody is happy with the final time o'clock there!!!  :smile:
  • Options
    @Coach P ... ok ... i'll roll with it, new gears on SHIV worked well so that is my plan for the race in Quassy! Here was my weekend prep RR:

3575 yard swim 1:06
    56 mile bike (1300 elevation gain) 3:38
    5 mile run 1:00

On the bike I did not let myself go to the small ring, stayed on big entire 56 to try to make the hills a little harder combined with the wind here in Kansas.

Felt pretty good ... will probably gobble up most of the 8.5 hours allowed ... just have to finish with dignity.

Never even sniffed my LTHR on the bike ... higher to start but settled in for a 141 bpm average.

So my box is to get it done and stay below the LTHR on bike and run, agree?

See you soon ... Marc

• Options
    @Marc Taylor -- BOOM! Nicely done my friend!!! Yes to your plan for the pacing and HR...only exception is the end of the run...the last 3-ish miles you can push if you have it in you. I'll be out there cheering you on...get it done!!!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Coach P ... just got home, long trip but successful.  I made a call reservation to talk next week but needed some thoughts on what I can try between now and then on weekend rides.  

I was was astounded at how much weight (water) I seemed to retain during Quassy.  I saw a pic on the bike and I looked pretty fit but all my run photos and at the finish I looked huge, and scale backed it up.  I pee'd at end of bike and several times on run ... just seem to retain fluids.  Had cramps on run so hit salt hard ... drank water and Gatorade on run.  Race saver bag for ice (pic coming) I felt like a million bucks except leg cramps. 

Should i I do a long ride water only and see how it goes? Sweat test? I've noticed on long workouts here I always weigh more after.  Trying to solve the puzzle ... what is wrong with me? I am not vain ... don't really care what I look like, just know carrying extra weight around Placid will stink.

i though I fueled well on bike ... my Wahoo Bolt said I burned 4000 calories on the bike ... roughly 4 hours ... is that possible? If that's the case then I under fueled AND still gained weight.

bars = 800 cal
    bloks = 800 cal
    gatorade =2 bottles per hour

sugar and carbs bloat me. 
    No burping on bike or run.
    no gas on bike or run. 

Thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Marc
  • Options
    @Marc Taylor - ! I don't know  what the settings on that you put into your computer or if they are accurate. If it's consistent with what you seeing went riding at home or on the trainer that I think we chalk that up to the insanity of Quassy. 

But I need some hard numbers from you on this water retention. Pictures are not the best way to decide that you retain a lot of water…

Do you have anything like actual scale information for you that we can compare?

When did you do your last sweat test… And what were the results? 

It's possible you could get away with 1 to 1 1/2 bottles  and our based off of your intensity level. For example I am writing crazy hard and taking into bottles, if your bike ride takes one and a half times as long as mine, you might not need those fluids. 

Short term I would dial the Gatorade down to about one hour this weekend, making it a bottle and a half in the first hour if it's going to be a hot day. Please weigh yourself before and after no clothes so we can get some numbers. Depending on how crazy it is I might send you over to the Core Diet people for a race fueling plan. 
  • Options
    Sorry I feel off the radar, went to Idaho last week/weekend to practice on some hills on the bike ... WHOA (see attached)! Don't know what happened ... thought I scheduled a call last week but we missed each other somehow ... rescheduled for this week, look forward to catching up ... 

Marc

• Options
    @Marc Taylor- it's 100% if you fall off the radar and end up on a massive bike course where you can build Fitness! I saw that you scheduled a call with me at 8:30 at night, which is pretty typical. It's much better for me to do those consults during the day. You have a schedule again for this Thursday night at 8:30 right after I do a 30 minute coach chat… Any chance we can do a different time during the week? Generally speaking I try to avoid late-night calls as the quality of my coaching deteriorates rapidly.  :D
  • Options
    Coach P ... no worries, I grabbed a time that was on the scheduler, seemed late but all that was available so I went with it ... just shoot me a time for this week and i'll make it work ... THANKS!
  • Options
    Marc,  no worries. I sat down after doing a camp meeting and a 6 Hour drive and my phone told me I should call you and I was like  "WAAAH!"

can you
    do this thirsday say 2:00pm EST? Let me know!!
  • Options
    Coach P ... understand completely. I rode up that mountain Thursday after my flight to Boise ... got back to home base and my calendar said you would be calling and I said "I can't raise my arm to answer the phone" ... Thursday @ 2 works ... look forward to our time. 

Marc