Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Sabra Gonzalez Official Coach Thread

edited October 26, 2017 7:04PM in Coaching Forum 🧢

Hey! Great to talk with you today. I hope you get the Stages stuff fixed quickly enough...but keep me in the loop.

In the meantime, here's your Micro Thread, as promised. As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes.  So post away! 

I usually check in 2-3 times a week; for more urgent questions, please use the Chat Icon in the bottom right of the page!

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options
    Shew! What a great 14 weeks! Probably the hardest training I've ever done before.  I really enjoyed it and learned so much!  I PR'd my half marathon by 5 minutes, 1:43:37. Very pleased with the results!
    https://www.strava.com/activities/854871212

My bike finished up at 148 FTP and 182 v02.  Still learning how to train with power and anxiously awaiting getting outside!  It will be soon since I'm in GA.

I will be transitioning over to the Intermediate Half Plan. I will be on vacation the week of Feb 20th. It will be an active ski vacation.  Should I restart the plan at any particular week since I will miss?  Also,I have a concern with the Thursday long run. I understand the order in which the wko are planned, however, with my work schedule and my husband's travel schedule those mid-week long runs will be difficult to make.  Any suggestions on how to rearrange the wkos?  I work from home Mon, Tues the first half of the months and then home working Mon, Tues, Friday the second half of the month.

Thanks so much!
    Sabra
  • Options
    @Sabra Gonzalez Those are INCREDIBLE results...you should be super duper pumped...who'd have thought. 5 minutes faster is 23 seconds per mile!!!  :sunglasses:

As for the vacation, I think it's not bad at all! You'll be back in time for 2/27 which is Week 9 in your plan (the "typical" start date")...so you won't be behind at all.  I say you use the next two weeks as an opportunity to get used to some longer sessions (don't kill yourself) and the swimming. 

Then you can break...and return. 

While you are away, I'd like you to consider 30 minutes of good aerobic activity on any day you don't ski...or cut it short. So if you ski days 1-3, but day 4 is tubing or spa day....then run. Alternately, a day of snow shoeing or XC skiing earns you bonus points!!!

Please keep me posted!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Hey, Coach P. Well, I didn't earn any bonus points for cross country skiing, but I did add an additional full day of skiing in fresh POW!  We had incredible conditions...50+inches in less than 3 days.  Wow!  We all were literally buried in snow at one point or another during our trip.  

I'm back in action on week 9 of the plan.  It's good to be back. The split run is interesting. I like it and the miles add up without you realizing how much you are running.

I have a couple of questions for the upcoming Sweat Test tomorrow.
     -  I'm assuming I do the pre-ride run, then the bike WU/MS1 first, STOP, then weigh in?
      - Since I have Chatt 70.3 coming up next, do I ride in Z3 or Z2 for the hour sweat test?

Thanks so much!
    Sabra
  • Options
    @Sabra Gonzalez

WOW, I am sooooo jelly. Next time, as your coach, I should be there to keep you on track. Totally think that's okay. :smirk:

As for the Sweat Test, I would do your hour at Goal Race pace. Full instructions are here. But yes, you weight just before and after the test...and track what you drink DURING the test. 

Excited to hear how it goes!!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    So, while this is still fresh from today's ride, I had some questions regarding this morning's ride.  How do you keep from spiking the power without slowing down so much? My power profile for the ride is zig/zag and not really consistent.  Or should it be zig/zagy for a hilly ride? (do you like my technical jargon here?) Secondly, my riding partner killed me in the hills. It's like I was standing still and she was powering up.  I tried to follow the guidelines I read somewhere on here about the EN way to ride hills, however, I would be in Z7 and out of gears. What do I need to do to improve?? I feel like I'm doing this all wrong. My overall ride time was much slower than a similar ride from two weeks ago, so that's frustrating.
  • Options
    Sabra -

Thanks for reaching out. Before I pass judgment, I would sure love to see that data. You can either post a screenshot here, or give me a link to where it lives on mine.

Your technical jargon doesn't give me an accurate sense of actually where your effort went.  Riding with someone who is not following the same strategy will absolutely highlight the differences. If you're staying in your zones, but she is exceeding them, you will see a disparity. It's likely that you weren't doing the right effort on the down hills or that you have some improper curing on your bike. I will know more when I see the data. 

Learning to ride this way does take some time, but don't give up. What I'll be looking for us to see what your heart rate was doing while the power numbers were going up and down. As long as that stay steady, you will likely pass your friend on the run. Remember that racy requires swim bike run, not just bike. :-)

Standing by for your file…
  • Options
    HI, Coach P.  Here's a link to my Strava:https://www.strava.com/activities/896234209 and Connect:https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1615147831

I was not wearing a HRM.  I know, I know.  I will the next ride.  I find them so uncomfortable.  Additionally, I realized that I had switched out my wheels and the cadence/speed magnet was still on the other wheel. ugh.  I think I may be downshifting too soon into the start of the hill and maybe that's where I'm loosing some momentum? That and just a lack of riding skills.  I will be doing this same ride again this coming weekend as part of my Big training day.  I'd like to be able to compare the rides and see if I can't improve on it.  Thanks so much!
  • Options
    @Sabra Gonzalez - The data is super hard to read; because of all those hills it actually looks like your lowest cadence points are once you're over-the-top and you try to recover.  I don't know if you have your power m set to something like three seconds rolling average, But that'll help mature that it's not so bouncy as you watch the number.

So you're weighted average power was about 135 Watts. That's just above the dotted purple line through the middle. As you can see from the chart, you spend most of your time about the number… but because of all the coasting and turning you lost a lot of speed as well.

I'm not sure how technical the ride is, but you can clearly see how by not posting so much you will have more speed.  Rest assured that a race course will not be so technical, and speed will live there.

Similarly you won't spike your watts so high on the hills… 353 wants on a single hill is almost triple your average!!!! I suggest that you peg your watts around 165, with uphill watts no higher than 180… and down whole lot ideally no lower then 130 if possible. 

Those numbers might not be precise, but I like you to set some targets for yourself and see how the ride goes. Let me know what you choose and I'd love to see that file.
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick- Thanks!  I do have my PM set for Avg 3 should I change that to the Avg 10?  For this weekend, so I should aim for an avg of 165W even though my FTP is 148W? Confused there. I do understand that my uphills spike like crazy so I will work on that in addition to peddling on the downhill.  I do get nervous when I get going super fast.  I also listened to your Hills Podcast and that was helpful.  If it goes up, sit up.  I will work on incorporating all these things and will report back to you.
  • Options
    @Sabra Gonzalez

No way your FTP is 148 outdoors...was that on the trainer? You wouldn't have been able to walk after that ride. Let me know about that test!

And only go down as fast as you feel SAFE!!
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick- yes 148 was on the trainer. Sorry I'm so terrible at this!! 165 makes more sense. I'll get this sooner or later. Thanks again and I'll follow up on the ride.
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick- following up on today's ride and run.  The ride was quite cold and very windy.  I was stiff and my feet were totally numb.  I tried to keep in mind the above guidelines and I think I did better compared to last ride but still needs work.  I tried to focus on less coasting and trying to keep my power from spiking too high. I think there were fewer instances where it went crazy.  I guess speed will come with time?  I'm feeling a bit discouraged over that.  Not sure what's happening.  https://www.strava.com/activities/906661232/analysis

The run was stiff in the beginning with the numb feet.  I finally started to feel myself and my feet at around mile 4. My HR took a while to settle down. I did the 30 steps in between each mile and those came as a welcome reward.  I only drank during these steps to mimic race day feeding. The last mile felt comfortable and I could have kept going.  https://www.strava.com/activities/906595677
  • Options
    @Sabra Gonzalez BETTER!!!!  :smile: Here's what I see....
    • Old Ride: 47.0mi — 2:57:02 — 2,215ft — 136W Avg — 1,346kJ

• New Ride: 47.0mi - 2:52:36 — 2,201ft — 135W Avg — 1,341kJ
    So you were 5 minutes faster on one less average watt. :smile:

In terms of the overall execution, I see some room for you on the macro level here: 

1. You went a bit too hard too early...

2. You can see how the HR is a bit low on the second half...that's because you were a bit hot early on.

3. The "decoupling" of HR and Elevation (unable to maintain steady power, as steady power would equal and increasing HR)...means you bonked. You might need better nutrition or better early pacing...

So good stuff ... And more room to grow. I hope this helps!!!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick - Wow! Thanks for the explanation! I never knew what I was really looking at before on the data.  So much to learn.  Looking back I did get behind on nutrition. It was cold out and I was drinking but didn't start eating anything until about 55 minute in...so the damage was done. Lesson learned.  
  • Options
    @Sabra Gonzalez - of course, no worries! It's very hard to be on top of the nutrition when it's this cold out, and you're getting a lot of great miles an early so feel good about that. This weekend, hit the food!!!  :smile:
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick - Just wanted to check in with you briefly.  I have an upcoming Oly this Sunday and will be my first race of the season as well as my first race with power. I'm going to make an assumption that if an IM is Z2, a HIM is Z3, then the Oly is Z4? I've done this race in the past so I'm excited to have an "apples to apples" comparison.  

Is there anything I need to change in this week's training plan?

Thanks so much, and I hope you and your family had a Happy Easter!

• Options
    @Sabra Gonzalez .... The "Z" in your name is for "Zwift"...you are crushing it out there! 

You can find Short Course race guidance under Resources / Racing Member Central / Race Execution Details / Short Course (here). But yes, after settling in, it's off to Zone 4 with you!

For this week, I recommend normal plan through thursday, Friday off, Saturday EASY 60' to 120' spin in Zone 1...just burn calories and stay loose. 

Can't wait to hear how you do!!!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick - I plan to post a longer race report in the race report category, but here are my strava files for each leg.  I'm really bummed about the swim. Last year I swam 21:44. This year 25:11. The difference was I went w/o a wet suit as the water temp was 75.  Had I swam the time this year as I did last, I would have had a top 3 finish.  Ended up 3rd Masters and the first 2 women tied in a time of 2:30:57.  My official time 2:30:59. Still a 4 min improvement from last year's race. I was pleased with my improvement in the bike over last year (1:20:49) and my run improved as well (49:20 last year).

Swim:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/955132261

Bike:https://www.strava.com/activities/955132347

Run:https://www.strava.com/activities/955132279
  • Options
    @Sabra Gonzalez - you were 1.1 mph faster on the bike and 20" faster per mile on the run. Both are GREAT STRIDES FORWARD!!!! So pumped for you!!! Doing the happy dance!!!!

The swim will be what it is...non-wetsuit is the right call in those conditions...and the fact you biked so well AFTER a non-wetsuit swim means there's even MORE speed to be had in the Bike Run area. 

Things are looking mighty good!

~ Coach P

• Options
    @Coach Patrick  - I think I'm ready! I'm excited to race and put all the EN principles to work.  Here are my latest files to review.  For my last RR this past Saturday, I did not swim first. The logistics of my pool to the area where I ride are just too far and would take too much Admin time, especially with other family obligations later in the afternoon.  I did get in a RR swim last week and averaged 1:30/100 meters for a total time of 28:44 for the 1000m.  I'm hoping that will translate in a pretty good down river swim in Chatt.  Last year I did 26:20 and am anticipating about the same this year.

Yesterday I concentrated on eating/drinking on the bike. Keeping the mantra "should not could" in the forefront. It was quite windy as well. Stayed seated for the climbs and tried to keep the watts from spiking too high. The run focused on keeping the first 3 miles under control without blowing it up. I had to scale back after that second mile and the 30 steps are good way to force that.  I've printed and read, and re-read the race execution pages.  Now, for race day to just get here!

RR Strava File:
    Bike:https://www.strava.com/activities/973946522
    Run:https://www.strava.com/activities/973801919, Full RR Run:https://www.strava.com/activities/957478538
  • Options
    @Sabra Gonzalez -

Much better!

The bike HR is good all day an even builds a bit at the end:

And your run, a bit too hot too early, recovers and you finish well:

I am a bit concerned that your Bike HR is 134 but your run HR is 20 beats HIGHER. 

Success at 70.3® and over the back half of that run course, will be built up on keeping the HR low in the first three miles...call it between 134 and 144....because the back half of that run is MURDER and you have to be ready to gut it out then!

Can't wait to see you race!!!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    @Sabra Gonzalez - Great to chat yesterday. I am bummed about your gut on race day, but I there's plenty of positives to work off of, especially that bike!!! :wink:

I know you said your stretch goal is to go to sub-five at some point - and I am filing it away. Sounds "just hard enough" to be about right!

For now we need to focus on Iron Man Louisville which will be your first try at the distance. Here are the critical notes for you: 
    • Dial in your nutrition to make sure that's rock-solid before race day. 
    • You can be flexible with your training now as you don't need to start the proper IM plan until July 24th. This means you have this week of recovery, then 7 weeks to play with. 
    • If you want to be structured, you could do the GetFaster plan for those 7 weeks.
    • If you want to be unstructured, you could do 4 weeks of Run Focus (but ride long 1x a week) and then 3 weeks of Bike focus (but run long 1x a week). 
    What do you think?

~ Coach P
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick - thanks for the chat!  I will work on getting the nutrition piece figured out. I'm going to look into talking with Core Diet about a race fueling plan.  As for the next 7 weeks,  I currently have the GF plan loaded, but would be open to something a little less structured.  Are the Bike/Run focus plans in the training drop down menu?  

Thanks so much!
    Sabra
  • Options
    @Sabra Gonzalez the Core Diet team can really help make life easier for you...that would be great to have a Race fueling plan from them. 

Yes Run and Bike Focus plans in drop down... just remember they are both six weeks long each, so you need to end the run planned and then six weeks so you can do the first four of that plan. I think if you do the run focus one, we can modify it after week four. Let me know what you decide!!

~ Coach P 
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick  - I have loaded the Intermediate Run Focus plan. Let me know when/what I need to do to modify after week 4.  Thanks! 

• Options
    @Sabra Gonzalez - I will let you know, but first keep me updated on how the early weeks ago. I'll be curious to see how you adapt before we start to get funky. My big target here for you will be adding some additional bike volume so take a look at your calendar and see what availability you have in those last two weeks for some long rides.
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick  - wanted to follow up with you.  I am underway with the Run Focus plan after having a  viral infection for the past couple of weeks. Got some good meds and am feeling pretty much back to normal.  I guess I should really call it more of a Bike Focus as this past Sunday I completed my longest ride ever, 81 miles. I have also planned an OWS and long ride this coming weekend. I have signed up for a Century ride the end of June and a local Sprint tri to keep it fun with the local club. I feel like my running has suffered the most from being sick/"off" for a few days. I did finally have a good run yesterday and was able to maintain my Z4 pace as directed on the workout so I'm feeling better about that.

For July, I do have some travel planned with the family.  We have a long weekend in Charlotte for the 4th of July weekend and then five days at the beach Jul 18 - 22nd.  I can certainly bring the bike/trainer if necessary. School is back in session July 31st. My poor kids don't get a summer anymore. 
  • Options
    @Sabra Gonzalez - thanks for the update. Sorry to hear about the viral infection, but our body has a strange way of making things work for us. Nothing wrong with some post 70.3 recovery.  

The run fitness is the first to go. But it also comes back very quickly. It's not that your fitness is gone as much as it's your perception of the fitness is so much greater. You will need to give yourself probably two weeks of aerobic exercise before you feel "normal" on the run. That's not an issue, because you have plenty of time. 

I am not really feeling the pressure for you right now regarding your vacation. Even the second trip to the beach house you returning with eight weeks left to your race. So my vote is that you do not bring your bike on either trip, but that we adjust the other days of those weeks to have more cycling. Then when you were on the road you can get an a daily run, sometimes with speed, to keep the fitness going and not interrupt your  vacation. When you're ready, just reach out to me approximately a week before you leave with the current week of your training plan and the level of your training plan and I could help you adjust.

Keep up those long rides, that's excellent. Remember the nutrition is the most important part of those rides so keep practicing. 
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick  - just wanted to check in with you regarding modifying my week due to some upcoming travel for the 4th.  We will be leaving on Friday and returning back Monday.  I'm currently on the Run Focus Block Intermediate, week 4.
     I did my first true Century ride on Saturday.  Finished in about 6 hours with 4000+ elevation.  Sunday I did a sprint tri and finished 1st place Masters.  I so felt those miles in my legs! Overall stoked that I got that long ride in. I just kept thinking, OMG I'd still have 12 more miles to ride and then run a marathon! What am I thinking?!  I changed up my nutrition on the bike and I think it was better. Still need to tweak it.
  • Options
    @Sabra Gonzalez -  you are a rockstar for getting that riding and then racing the next day! Those long rides this early in your season do add up.

Remember, the first long ride is always the worst. Rister goes by so much faster because it everyone else out there and supersmart pacing. 

I see that we shuffle you'll be around so that you can get two bikes sessions then on Tuesday and Thursday before you leave. Then put your two quality runs towards the end of the week, one on Friday maybe before you go in in the longer session while you are away.

Plan on at least one day while you're away as 100% off, otherwise we just want you to run consistently in TRP zone between 30 and 40 minutes.

maybe a little more Zwift time this week?