Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Kryvicky's #Dontcallitacomeback Mico Thread (MISSION: Dominate)

Comments

• Options

Hi @Coach Patrick ! 

Well here we are, a few days out from the OS start.  I am sick (boo) but have been getting in some runs.  For me the biggest part of the year will be letting go of my ego and my fears but it will be worth it!

If my endurance is pretty poopy due to the lack of fitness over the past few years - how to I go about modification on the workouts?  I ask because, well, I have always started at a certain level of fit and never even had to think about modification so this is one thing that I need to learn from you my sensei! 

I have been running around a 5k each time I go out this week (easy effort but that is all I can do right now) and will be using that as my baseline run info for HR.  For the bike, I got on the other day and was wiped in 5 minutes.  I need to learn how to ride on the trainer again! 

My big prep goal:

• Nail down the run TT
    • Load the workouts into Zwift and Trainer Road to see which I like better and to makes sure they all work
    • Dummy proof my schedule and MAKE THE COMMITMENT to morning workouts
    • Get in the Bike TT
    • SMILE!

My big OS Goal

• Consistency
    • Patience
    • Persistence

I have been reading the large EN Flag that I have hanging by my treadmill every time I run there.  I latch on to certain sayings every run and think about the meaning, how I do or do not execute the line, and how I can improve in 2018. 

My favorites are "Out train them. Out rest them. Out last them.",  "Remember your one thing"  and the one about how the race is not about fitness but about execution. 

The flag makes me smile and helps provide a focus that keeps me out of my head, and in my heart.

Thank you for all that you do - Happy New Year and I am so ridiculously blessed to have you as a coach. 

• Options

JOS Day 1 and I swam 1 mile!  Feels good to be active after being sick for 2 weeks.  :-) 

I am going into the week erring on the side of caution - I will NOT overreach.  I will stay in my zone and by the time we test in week 5 I should have my bearings about me!

#letsdothis  #fearless

• Options
    edited January 10, 2018 4:02PM

@Coach Patrick Hey there!  Just checking in and need some guidance.

So - I went ahead and did the run focused lvl 1 Tuesday ride 1.5 times!  Ha!  The first half of a time was on accident as I only meant to test out my new Wahoo trainer in erg mode in Trainer Road - and got lost in how cool it was that I forgot to stop until I was half-way done with the workout! 

Since I have not tested in a long time I just SWAG'd my FTP based on my first year of riding back when I was in a similar fitness situation.  The FTP estimated was too low so I rode the workout for real last night in Zwift and I bumped up my FTP 10 watts and it was still too low as in I easily maintained if not overachieved on each of the 3 intervals, and could not get my power down low enough on the recovery sets. 

So I am thinking of bumping up a smidge more, like another 10 so that I am working a little harder to maintain the intervals and to stop getting the "REDUCE POWER!" messages blaring at me. 

After the bike I was really sore in my lower back as it was my first ride over 5 minutes since 2014 - TMI but I am NOT used to the saddle like I used to be! - so I nixed the 35 minute Brick run and opted for a 20 minute brick walk with my dogs. 

So a question- how do I approach this weekend's long ride?  I am just not used to being on the bike that long.  I have I think 150 minutes on plan and if after 60 minutes I am this sore in the... place... then how shall I manage this weekend?  I used Tri shorts for my ride, so maybe switching to biking shorts and a good pre-ride chamois cream will help?  Shall I give it a try and see how I feel at an hour?  at 2 hours?

• Options
    OK it is not letting me tag you in any post - the forums do not work in my Chrome browser and in INternet Expolorer I cannot tag beyond the first word.  Ugh I think you are not seeing these!
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick lets see if this works,  I had to use my cell phone to tag you.   Can you read my updates above and hep a girl out with the long ride this weekend? 
  • Options
    @Jenniferlyn Kryvicky So weird you can't tag me!  You can use @ then "Coach Patrick" to force the site to tag me...so @Coach Patrick will make a tag. 

Sorry I missed these....it's that time of year where I am literally buried...so my forum time has been spread across plan building and season roadmaps and much more...here we go... 

1) You can use the L1 workouts to keep it pretty easy. And use both Mon / Friday rest days to make sure you aren't overdoing it. 

2) Yes to bumping it up...remember, you can use the Page Up or Page Down button to adjust the % of the workout in ERG mode...that can help you on the fly too!

3) Real bike shorts it is...and yes to the chamois cream. I prepare for a Zwift ride just the way I prepare for an outdoor ride...shorts, cream, food, etc.  I say do what you can of the ride...at least as much of the MS as you can. You can do the "steady" portion as part of a warm up for Sunday. The only way to get better at the saddle is to spend time in the saddle...

I'd be curious to hear what the Chica's have to say about that too!!!

~ Bad Coach
  • Options

@Coach Patrick  thank you!  Let's see if that worked to tag you this time!  ha ha!

OK If I can do an hour, I can do 1.5 hours - Chamois cream, real shorts and a solid prep it is! 

I must say I am really enjoying training this year already and I think it is because it is the utilization of our community and Zwift.  It makes it so fun that I look forward to the work!  Plus you have a great crew member in Brenda and our chica community as well as the OS specific communities. 

Just more and more reasons I am EN ride or die.

I will check back in Sunday post ride to let you know how it went.

on another note - I decided to switch around my season, but I think this is better.

Before it was:

• Half ironman relays in May and July swim 1.2 and run 13.1
    • Full ironman relay in August (the 19th)- swim 2.4 and run 26.2
    • Ironman Florida - the whole enchilada obviously

I have adjusted to this:

• Half marathon April 15th as end to my OS/run test
    • Half Ironman relays in May and July - swim 1.2 and run 13.1 (no change here - these are just training days to me)
    • Half Iron in August (the 5th) - to be used as a big training day - not "racing" it as much as practice for transitions, nutrition, and gear. It is local and make more sense to me than the recovery time needed for a marathon at this point, plus it is exactly 3 months out from the IM, so I have less of a need for recovery after this than if I had done a full distance swim and run 2 weeks later, so I lose fewer training days and get to change anything that needs changing with time to do another BTD before taper. 
    • Ironman Florida

Is that a good adjustment? 

• Options
    @Coach Patrick ok the bike shorts and enduro-style chamois cream made the 1.5 hour workout possible... I did nearly 2 hours in fact! 

• Options
    @Coach Patrick just a reminder, I'm still looking for feedback on my season adjustment around my August race.  
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick  I resubmitted my season roadmap to include my changes as I just realized that you have me punching out of the JOS early and I was wondering if it was because of the August 140.6 relay.  I replaced that with a half IM (the full 70.3 not just the swim and run legs) as noted above, because I feel that it is better for my training and achieving my goals at my A race, IMFL. 
  • Options
    @Jenniferlyn Kryvicky - Thanks for the feedback and the information. Super happy to hear that you are able to get an a longer ride using better decisions around your equipment in the community alarm!

I did see your season plan changes and I will make them today. Since you wouldn’t be leaving out season until March I thought I had a few days to make the change!  B)
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick  Take your time!  lol  We have plenty of time - I am just eager ha ha ha!!!    
  • Options
    @Jenniferlyn Kryvicky - ok, done!!! I have updated the plans in in the bullet section with dates so you can see how it all lines up!!!

Have a great weekend,

~ Coach P
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2018 4:11AM
    @Coach Patrick wooo hoo I love it!

I did an indoor tri today,  timed at 10 minute swim,  30 minute bike and 20 minute run.  

My swim was 400m in 10 minutes,  180watts @90RPM for the entire 30 minutes on the bike (wow! I worked but stayed consistent and didn't eat the paste when the recorder saw tat I was gaining on the lead cyclist and told me to crank it up to pass him.... nope! ) and a solid negative run! 

All the gains already in just 2 weeks of consistency.  This is just proof on how the work works.  In December at Christmas I was swimming 400m in 14 minutes,  couldn't run faster than a 14-15 minute mile,  and my bungee was literally non existent. 

I went home after the tri and knocked out another hour to make my level 1  90 minute ride goal.   I felt so strong.  

• Options
     B) AWESOME!! 
  • Options
    @coach patrick I am feeling the mojo!  

Another week and missed 2 run WOs (a brick run and the wednesday long run boooo) due to treadmill death - getting it serviced Tuesday so in the mean time it has warmed up a little so I can run outside.  

I feel like I have found my stride.  I am taking data seriously this time - I never really understood IF and the like for training, I just sort of trained by ego.  This time I am ditching ego and training by the numbers because the numbers do not lie.

I ran a 10k yesterday as my wk3 run focus level 1 Saturday workout - it was more like the level 3 WO as I was in the 70 minutes range,  but I kept my HR lower than ever and I felt really strong.  Who would have known that training in a proper HR zone would make such a difference? Literally everyone but me apparently ha ha!  Better late to the party than never coming, am I right?  I was able to push higher HR zone for the last mile and felt outstanding as I was able to focus on form and not just wishing the run would end.   The miles flew by. 

I am heading out to restorative yoga this morning then will come back for my long bike ride and 45 minute brick run. Tomorrow I am back in the pool and strength. 

Here is to another week in the bank of AWESOME. 

• Options
    Thanks for the update, and I love the adaptation. Sorry to hear about the channel but hopefully, like you, ever turns stronger than ever!

My favorite part about the run is how you paced it smartly so that you could finish strong which is the most important thing for me… Particularly on those longer runs over an hour.

Fantastic that you’re still making time for the good work that will keep you healthy… Looking forward to the next update!
  • Options

So far so great!

My estimated FTP was 108 - total swag, through just doing the workouts in Zwift, it picked up my effort around a 138w FTP - power tested last Sunday to a nice shiny new ONE NINETY FREAKING SIX watts. 1...9...6....  

Needless to say that is not record breaking but wow was my estimate off!  I have now done 3 workouts at the new numbers and the first one was very rough to maintain the effort, but by the time I did the Thursday and Sunday workouts, my legs were back in the game.

My numbers are looking much better in Training Peaks as well. 

With my treadmill issues I have been sorely missing my runs, but that is going to change this week.  I have just 7 weeks until a half marathon and big goals ahead of me this year so my run needs to pick up!

• Options
    Wow, that’s fantastic! Just remember, that is a very big ramp and your body is going to need some time to absorb all of that work. Feel free to include a strategic rest day as needed! Keep up the great work.
  • Options
    I definitely am taking it cautious getting back into the training. The
    cumulative fatigue is what is catching me the most! I love it!

So as a heads up, I ended up taking last week off of biking to make sure
    that I got in my runs and at least 1 swim as I have been so focused on
    getting back in the saddle, I have lost my durability in running. Since
    May 12th is my half ironman swim (in the Ocean no less!) and I am so out of
    swim shape - struggle with even a few hundred right now - I feel that I
    needed to get back in the water to build back my confidence, not to get
    faster, but to get to the point where I can swim the 1.2 miles safely as
    that is a real concern at this point. .

I dropped off my triathlon bike this past weekend to the shop for a fit and
    an upgrade to Di2. Lady (my bike) is going from meek to on fleek! I have
    the ability to ride my roadie on the trainer in lieu of the tt bike, so I
    will be back in the saddle this week (woot!) My big focus this OS is run
    durability and getting back some swim endurance primarily, and secondarily
    building my biking machine as that is my strength.

I remember that you said that biking is a great benefit for running, so I
    want to keep on plan and add in some "mental health swimming" not to get
    better, but to get to be able to swim the 1.2 miles *safely*.

Given this here is my swipe at a hacked OS plan - did I go overboard?

Monday - Technique Swim, stretch and recovery
    Tuesday - Bike, Run
    Wednesday - Swim easy for time, long run
    Thursday - Bike, Run
    Friday - technique swim, mid-length durability run
    Saturday - Swim easy for time as recovery/leg shake out, long run
    Sunday - Long bike, run brick, recovery stretching, etc.

Does this look acceptable for the time being? Should we adjust this?

Let me know! :-) Have a great day Coach!

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 8:29 AM, Coach Patrick <
    teamenforums+d22389-s6029573@gmail.com> wrote:

> [image: Endurance Nation Community]
    >
    > ------------------------------
    > Coach Patrick commented on Kryvicky's #Dontcallitacomeback Mico Thread
    > (MISSION: Dominate)
    >
    > Wow, that’s fantastic! Just remember, that is a very big ramp and your
    > body is going to need some time to absorb all of that work. Feel free to
    > include a strategic rest day as needed! Keep up the great work.
    >
    > --
    > Reply to this email directly or follow the link below to check it out:
    > https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/comment/261547#
    > Comment_261547
    > Check it out
    >
    >
  • Options
    Thank you for the update. I understand your concerns about fitness and
    preparedness for your early season races so some modification is
    justifiably necessary.

Your bike fitness will certainly be there and it’s easy to ramp up in the
    future as needed. You could put a lot of time into a single weekend, for
    example, and really boost of the bike. But there is no shortcut to the run
    so I’m glad you have prioritize that.

That said, I’m a little concerned about the six consecutive days of
    running; in particular, the Friday and Saturday combination. If it’s
    possible, I would recommend swapping your Saturday and Sunday workouts so
    there is a “bike break“ between those two decent runs.

That is your call, and we could always see how that week you have devised
    plays out.

I would also recommend having in one swim with a consistent means it.
    Something like 5 x 100 at a good effort. This can become your benchmark
    session over the next couple weeks to see if your swim work is actually
    yielding improvement.

Sound good?

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Ooops I think I got typing happy there! I meant Friday to be a swim for
    recovery day only - rest from run and bike, which then leaves a 36-48 hours
    hour break from Thursday night's run to Saturday afternoon/night's run. I
    typically get in my workout in the afternoon to late afternoon on Saturday
    as it is only a run day and I like to spend time with the hubby earning
    SAUs at breakfast! :-D

I will make sure that I have breaks between the runs to allow recovery and
    absorption of the work. I love it! Thank you for your help!

So here is what I have if I am correct:

Monday - technical swim/recovery focus
    Tuesday - Bike/run per OS
    Wednesday - Run per OS, swim with intent of 100 or 200 repeats for
    measuring improvements
    Thursday - Bike/run per OS
    Friday - Swim, recovery focus
    Saturday - long run day per OS
    Sunday - long bike day with run brick per OS

Is this correct?

On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 7:15 AM, Coach Patrick <
    teamenforums+d22389-s6029573@gmail.com> wrote:

> [image: Endurance Nation Community]
    >
    > ------------------------------
    > Coach Patrick commented on Kryvicky's #Dontcallitacomeback Mico Thread
    > (MISSION: Dominate)
    >
    > Thank you for the update. I understand your concerns about fitness and
    > preparedness for your early season races so some modification is
    > justifiably necessary.
    >
    > Your bike fitness will certainly be there and it’s easy to ramp up in the
    > future as needed. You could put a lot of time into a single weekend, for
    > example, and really boost of the bike. But there is no shortcut to the run
    > so I’m glad you have prioritize that.
    >
    > That said, I’m a little concerned about the six consecutive days of
    > running; in particular, the Friday and Saturday combination. If it’s
    > possible, I would recommend swapping your Saturday and Sunday workouts so
    > there is a “bike break“ between those two decent runs.
    >
    > That is your call, and we could always see how that week you have devised
    > plays out.
    >
    > I would also recommend having in one swim with a consistent means it.
    > Something like 5 x 100 at a good effort. This can become your benchmark
    > session over the next couple weeks to see if your swim work is actually
    > yielding improvement.
    >
    > Sound good?
    >
    > ~ Coach P
    >
    > --
    > Reply to this email directly or follow the link below to check it out:
    > http://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/comment/262131#
    > Comment_262131
    > Check it out
    >
    >
  • Options
    @Jenniferlyn Kryvicky - yes, that updated information on SWIM FRIDAY is correct. 

Also, when you reply by email, make sure there is nothing left in the reply box...otherwise you have to see all that junk ^above^ .   :smile:

• Options
    Oops sorry! I am not in the forums so I did not check to see what all went
    to the reply. Thank you @Coach Patrick !
  • Options

Hi @Coach Patrick

Things are going really well in my training.  My swimming is improving and I am noticing now that my body position/tautness in the water as well as my arm turn-over are the clear limiters in my swim - I have way too much "glide" time in my stroke and I notice when I pull or use my ROKA SIM shorts that my times are much quicker... by nearly 10 seconds per 100!  That is my swim focus. I have bought a water-metronome to help with my stroke count and have been reading the Swim e-books really appreciating that this is a slow process but by the time IMFL comes around I expect to see some improvements here.  Not my training focus, but I have been a consistent swimmer for years and I think a few tweaks will yield some "low hanging fruit" efficiency improvements which leads to less fatigue.

Run durability is making me happy!  I am feeling stronger each run and I am now following the training plan to a T when it comes to paces.  I have been listening to a triathlon podcast that gives some good mental advice and one thing they said last week resonated with me and the EN philosophy - DO NOT BE A HERO TO BE A ZERO.  I understand now that there is no place for ego in training and I need to stop with this PR the workout mentality and be OK with running at whichever pace I need to in order to be successful in my goals.  That would be the pace of success.  I am allowed to run slower to get faster.  I am now embracing my pacing and am running at the efforts prescribed - nothing faster and am actually recovering, not skipping that step in between sets so that I am ABLE to hit the next set.

I do have a question about how to execute the long runs in the plan.  I am on 2018 EN*Half Run Focused, week 15.

The long run is written as such:

I must really be simple because the notes and the WO do not match in my head and I am not sure on how to execute.  Do I start the run at my TRP, settle in to it for a while and then add in 1-2 miles (depending on level) @Z3 at the end of my run or do I start out with the Z3 miles and then finish with the rest of the run at TRP? 

I have noticed this a lot that the notes mention starting in a low zone and then building, but the workout details do not match, so I definitely need this spelled out for me - sorry!

• Options
     I saw your name pop up on Facebook and I was wondering how you were doing, and here’s a poster me know! Yay!

I’m glad you’re coming to terms with your training approach and the process required to become successful. There is usually very little correlation between how we attack every single day of training and overall success. Consistency will always win!

Yes for those long runs, it’s meant to be 20 to 30 minutes at TRP, followed by that harder interval in the middle and then the remainder of your time and TRP. I don’t want you to zoom out of the gate fast and then just go to TRP. That would only be OK if you were severely time-limited.
  • Options

Great!  Thank you @Coach Patrick I am looking forward to my long run this weekend. 

I know that it is "camp week" in the plan however given that this is very early season and I am still building up my durabilities in the swim and run (I somehow regained my bike fitness pretty quickly) I decided to skip the 56 mile bike RR's instead get in some yoga, a chiro adjustment, some ART on my upper back, and then focus on the swim and long run this weekend, starting back up per plan on Monday.  I still did the mid-week "Threshold" bike ride this week, and I plan on doing a shorter ride on Sunday to keep the legs awake.  I have noticed that my running is bouncing back much quicker than I thought that it would, and I think it is due to the work on the bike as well. 

I started a daily meditation practice, along with a daily gratitude practice.  I really believe that my success will be in being present in mind and body, so I added in a daily 10-30 minute yoga practice when I wake up to help me loosen up and activate my muscles in preparation for the work ahead for me that day, in addition to increase some mobility and flexibility ranges. My past injuries were all due to lack of mobility or flexibility and me pushing past the safe zone.  Not going to let that happen again!

• Options
    All of that AND you changed your profile picture too!!!! I love it. Thank you for keeping such a great big picture focus, and congrats to you on reaping the rewards of that great work on the bike. 

There's always another Race Rehearsal to do...I would suggest you take a minute to review your current nutrition practice and make sure is "ready" or "close to ready" for race day execution. That's one big part of the WKO. 

Another one is "confirming" your target power/heart rate. So let's be sure to pay extra attention to those numbers when you do get your rehearsal in!!!!

~ Coach P
  • Options

Ayyyyyyyyye Coach! 

@Coach Patrick  so last week was a BUST as I got sick after a ride on Saturday, ignored it then went for a freezing cold run, and then paid for it until yesterday.

I made the smart decision to stand down from all workouts because I am at a high risk for pneumonia and with the weather we are having I was not willing to risk it.  The week of rest did me good, I was EXHAUSTED just from being alive!  It never ceases to amaze me how much our body fights off the baddies to keep us healthy.  I could tell my body was fighting so I just helped it along with sleeeeeep. 

I hopped on the trainer yesterday and rode for 1.5 hours and felt fine, a little coughing afterwards but overall not too bad.  I am back at it today!

To help with swim consistency, I am trying out the local Master's swim workouts at my Lifetime club - there are 2 sessions on Mondays and Wednesdays - the earlier session is for collegiate and swim meet people, the later session is for triathletes and less pool-competitive type athletes.  The coach on deck is training for her first IM in Boulder.

I figured that I would check them out and see if this can help me stay consistent in the pool, and if the workouts do not work out for me then no loss, I will go back to my own sessions. 

Have a great day! Off to swim bike run and to enjoy the journey along the way!