Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Kryvicky's #Dontcallitacomeback Mico Thread (MISSION: Dominate)

12346»

Comments

• Options

Hi @Coach Patrick

Sorry, because I was in MM I couldn't see this. I ended up taking the time to find my training groove and settle into the IMFL plan as best that I could until the Race Prep Phase. I entered into this final race prep phase with such high energy and excitement. I am back! 😊

The weirdest thing happened to me last week during my long run on Thursday. I ended up having a horrific sharp and burning pain in my left hip in the middle of the run, so bad that I had to stop the run and walk /limp the remaining 1.4 miles home. Since I have felt no pain like it ever before hopefully we caught it in time to fix it now and not have a lingering bursitis issue. 

Due to flat tire (car) situation I could not do a split long run on Thursday so I combined them into 1 longer run. At about mile 4 or 5 my hip started to ache, and by mile 6 I was barely able to hobble so I stopped at mile 7.7 and walked the final 1.4 miles home.

Sunday, I hopped on the bike and did an hour of the BAP ride just to see how my hip felt. and got off of the bike to see where my body was and the hip felt no different. Much easier walking, much less pain. Can stretch the hip and touch it without wincing. 

I got into a Sports Med Physical Therapist first thing Monday and the eval shows that I am REALLY WEAK on the left hip. About 20% deficit to my right.  

The current hypothesis of what happened is that my running form is off (lots of hip sway especially on my left due to weak abduction mechanism) but I have been able to manage it in the past. This run I decided to use a new pair of Hoka Bondi 6's - super cushy - and the way the cushion compresses allowed my foot to sink inwards, forcing the left hip outwards and due to hip weakness it couldn’t accommodate the additional load and became very inflamed.

I go back Wednesday and then again next Tuesday for more PT work. My current protocol is I am icing for 10-15 minutes every few hours, taking Aleve 2 x per day, off of running for this week per PT's advice, but am swimming and biking, plus stretching, Chiro work, and strength work on my hammies, back and hips to keep me in good spirits. So IM Training is still happening, just without the run at the moment.

I am so disappointed for this set back given that I have found my running groove again but I am in this for the long game not just IMFL. I have IMTX afterwards and a lifetime of racing so I am trying to be positive and smart in my approach and to fix this issue now so that I am come back even stronger.

Because of no running I am proposing the following adjustment: I am in week 11 of the IM Run focus level 1 plan.

Monday - PT and stretching exercises Plyo

Tuesday - Swim, stretching exercises , Bike (what effort? Easy/recovery?) instead of run

Wednesday - FTP Bike, PT work and stretching exercises

Thursday – Bike instead of run, stretching exercises

Friday – Swim, plyo, Bike easy instead of run, stretching exercises

Saturday - Challenge bike ride (5-7 hours), stretching exercises

Sunday – Rest maybe some easy OWSing stretching exercises

Is that a good plan? Swapping out the runs for easy biking time instead? I *should* hopefully be back to running next week, week 12 of the plan, which is a test week.

• Options

Hi Again @Coach Patrick !

So after being in PT more than 1 day I realize that the work they do plus me doing the exercises every day, twice a day is really taxing on my hips so I am thinking in stead of riding all of my runs, I will consider my 1  to 2 hours of PT work every day as a solid workout and not do something to jeopardize my upstream performance.

Tuesday I did my PT stretches plus a half hour of fascia work and a quick bike to test out the hip with some bike effort (felt good)

Wednesday I did my at-home PT work, then an hour of PT work formally at lunch, and then my FTP bike ride at night. Felt AWESOME on the ride - however I am definitely weaker on my left side, and a little weak overall from all of the hip work so I had to decrease my FTP intervals down about 10% to be able to finish them but I did it. PT is no joke.

Today, Thursday, I did my at home PT work and will do them again tonight before bed.  I am going to go to the park for a very easy effort ride after work in lieu of my split long run. Not replacing the entire 2 hours of running with a ride, just getting some saddle time and easy effort on my legs since I haven't ridden outside in a long time and want a quick ride before Saturday's challenge ride.

Tomorrow, Friday, I will swim and do my at home strength work again 2 times, morning and night

Weekend as planned - challenge ride Saturday and rest Sunday, with possibly an OWS and of course my at home PT work both days morning and night.

• Options

Hi again, @Coach Patrick !   I am not sure if you are seeing my posts as it seems that I am the wayward unanswered thread. #noloveforJK. pouting

Ha ha, just kidding! I know you're really busy.

An update on my situation - I am taking 1 more week off from running to focus on glute strength and rehab before getting back into it with shorter run/walk intervals.  I found out today at PT that we have a diagnosis of what is wrong - Dumb Butt Syndrome - it is a real thing!  Apparently I have trained out my glutes, and all other muscles and tendons from my hip flexors, quads, hammies and lower back all do the work that my glutes should so that is why I have been having bad back pain recently and this hip situation.

I am in week 12 of the IM Run focus plan and this is a test week.

Monday - Swim Test plus PT work

Tuesday Bike Test plus PT session and additional PT work

Wednesday and Thursday are run heavy - planned run test Wednesday and then the split long run (1:00 and 1:15 respectively) on Thursday with another formal PT session and my at home PT work 

Friday is run and swim with at home PT work.  

This weekend is a 4.5 hour bike with 30 minute run ( I can walk it) then Sunday is a 3 hour 20 minute ride.

I would like a little guideance.  I can control my form much better while I walk, so I am thinking Wednesday I walk the hour and then Thursday treat it as 2 seperate workouts, with maybe one as elliptical and the other as a bike ride to make the total time?  I definitely could use the saddle time so maybe even both as bikes?

I really am becoming fearful of IM Florida but if I can come back smartly from this issue I will be so much stronger and have no back or hip issues when I run!  I am going into IMFL with determination!

Thoughts?

• Options

Hi Again @Coach Patrick !

Week 13 of the IM Run focused level 2 plan. 

I keep feeling down about IMFL - this is not how I wanted the training to go.  It really seems to be one life thing after another and I am doing everything I can to just take it in stride. 

Looking ahead this week I am going to be doing some elliptical sessions to work on run fitness.  I feel ok with trying to run again at short intervals to start with.  I am thinking 30 seconds run, 30 seconds walk to start with just to see how it goes, but in the mean time I am going to focus on cardio strength and durability through the pain free elliptical. 

My plan for this week:

Monday - PT exercises, an elliptical and treadmill "run"

Tuesday - PT session in AM, Elliptical "run" at lunch and 1:15 Max Effort 1 ride at night with brick walk

Wednesday - PT exercises in AM, Tempo swim in afternoon (Tempo 200's medium) ,  FTP "run" on elliptical in evening

Thursday - PT exercises in AM, Bike Full SST 1 ride in evening

Friday - Red Mist swim, PT exercises, "Run strides" on elliptical

Saturday 5 hour ride outside with 30 minute walk/run beforehand - will try 30 second run intervals and 30 second walk intervals to see how that goes.

Sunday - Split long "run"  I am thinking elliptical for both sessions.

Thoughts?

• Options

Hey there disco diva! How are you doing? I’ve been following your updates on social media but wanted to make sure that I was giving you some coach attention here as well. How can I help you out?

• Options

Hey @Coach Patrick !

I'd like input on if I'm aproaching my injury properly by replacing runs with elliptical work and alternatives.

I started using the AlterG today and will be using it twice a week for actual running (right now at 65% body weight which seems to allow me the ability to run continually without waking or pain) with the rest of my running done as elliptical until I can bare full weight again without pain.

I'm feeling so down right now. But I'm plugging along the best that I can, doing so with a smile on my face. A lot can happen in 8 weeks so I'm not giving up!

~ Disco Diva

• Options

That sounds great, you are very fortunate to have access to one of those. Can you specify which ones you were doing on the alter G? Just trying to solve for your long run within the context of your training. 👍

• Options

Hi @Coach Patrick !

I did today's 40' run on the AlterG and have booked time again Friday. Here are the wko's this week (week 12 of the IM run focused plan)

I have flexibility for next week (wk 13) although I am booked for Thursday already. I can do a run only session either Tuesday easily but maybe Wednesday would be better. My only concern is that I'm in a workshop on Wednesday again and will not be able to get to the AlterG until evening and I'm not sure they have opening, but I can call to see if I can do an hour on Wednesday evening if you'd rather me do the Wednesday run on it. I'm a-ok with that!

• Options

Hi Coach, I figured it out on my own.

• Options
    edited October 7, 2019 4:41PM

Hi @Coach Patrick!

So after my 10 mile run Sunday my hip is now back in some pain/discomfort - not nearly as bad as before but I definitely worked it yesterday.  My thoughts on how to handle from here on out for IMFL are:

Swim and bike focus - Breaking up long runs into much shorter runs (split runs) and possibly even aqua jogs and ellipticals to allow time to heal.  Continue doing PT exercises and recovery work on hip.

The 0:30 run / 1:00 walk intervals worked for me during the run and I think that I need to honor the post-run discomfort and save the pain for IMFL.  I need to allow this hip to rest a little more before my next big effort, but will substitute as needed to keep up cardio. 

Sound good? 

• Options

I am sorry to hear about the pain, but I appreciate where you are at. There are many athletes who experience this in training and simply need to develop a plan so that you’re ready to handle things on race day. Our goal is to get you to race day as pain-free and healthy as possible so you can complete the run at that time.

I would recommend continuing to use the electrical and or the alter G as much as possible.

I’m curious, can you run 2 miles without pain according to those run walk intervals? Another words, was the pain due to the fact that it was 10 miles or did you get that kind of pain with any running whatsoever. curious, can you run 2 miles without pain according to those run walk intervals? Another words, was the pain due to the fact that it was 10 miles or do you get that kind of pain with any running whatsoever?

• Options
    edited October 8, 2019 1:26PM

Hey @Coach Patrick

I can run shorter distances without pain during, or residual/post-run pain. The pain now is purely due to sudden distance increase irritating the muscle/ tendons. Honestly I should've just done a few shorter runs but the PT wanted me to push a little to see where we are at in my recovery.

The :30/1:00 is the winning interval, I just need to get to the start line as pain free as possible. I will complete the total time of the runs in my plan, but will be smarter about my approach!

• Options

OMg that PT. Plse text me first. PT likes you in a room. I like you at the starting line. #beentheredonethat

yes to short runs...if it’s easier just to build it into your day as a morning evening thing around your other regular training sessions or even a lunchtime thing I’ll take it. We’re just looking for that frequency right now.

Also, I recommend you do not run anywhere around the pool! 😂

• Options

@Coach Patrick I'm dying laughing right now.

Yeah - my ankle isn't happy today. Wtf?!?! How is this year one crazy adventure after another? I call dibs on a rockstar 2020!!!!! I yelled "SERIOUSLY?!?!?!" when I took the header, rolling my ankle last night at the pool. I think I scared some people ha ha ha!

Ok, then my goal is shorter runs more often, like "run less, more". I think I can handle 30-45 minute runs without consequence so I'm going to split my long runs into multiple smaller runs as long as the hip doesn't yell and if it does then I'll do some walks and ellipticals too to get the frequency and mileage just in a smarter way. Frequency frequency frequency!

I'm heeding the advice of my calendar today:

• Options

so it’s been a week, what could’ve possibly happened to you in the last seven days? Give me an update on the running when you can!

~ Coach P

• Options

Ha ha ha @Coach Patrick yes! I'm very happy to report that NOTHING has happened in the past week. Bubble 👏 Wrap 👏

So I focused on recovery and swimming this past week to balance out all of my bike work and to avoid further injuring my joints, feet, legs or hips by I don't know, say tripping and falling and breaking a knee or something - I mean seriously what else could possibly happen?! I didn't want to tempt fate!

I saw my chiro today and adjusted my ankles again and I'm feeling ready to finish this baby up and race IMFL!

This weekend is my final big push! #GoTriEpic!!!!

My plan for Florida is simple - show up, smile, race with all of my heart, make smart choices all day.

I get that this hip issue really put a stop on my epic training goals, but I think it was a gift. (Ooooh your little type-A triathlete is growing up!) It allowed me the opportunity to really think about why I do Ironman and what my motivation truly is. I went from being depressed that "my race was over" to realizing that it's not over until I say it's over and coach - it ain't over.

I readjusted my sails and know that this is not going to be a PR showing, but I'm going to give it my all all day and that's really all anyone can do!

I am expecting (and therefore preparing for) the back part of the bike and the run to become difficult, so I'm priming my mental pump with my mantras and my execution plan.

I think that I can finish this race as long as I make the smart choices all day. 4 keys baby!

The run is going to be a HUGE question mark. I plan on following a 30 second run 1 minute walk for as long as I can. If I face pain, it's ok until it gets to a 4/10 in severity, at that point I'm switching to walking (which typically doesn't hurt) and will work hard to cross the finish line!

If the pain at any point crosses into "damage" pain (I can tell the difference from discomfort due to lack of run training and pain due to injury) then I'm pulling myself then and there from the race.

Agreed?

I have IMTX in 6 months and the last thing I need is to do REAL damage at IMFL.

• Options

I did a quick disco run tonight to see how the body was feeling and it hit me... I WANT this IMFL finish so badly! Sooooo badly!

Mission Finish Florida is on.

• Options

@Coach Patrick any feedback on my idea 2 posts above? I should post up my race plan as well for feedback so I will get on that today.

• Options
    edited November 11, 2019 5:49PM

OK @Coach Patrick - let us do this.

First off - OMG that is so cool that Final Surge has everything in it already.  You made my year! 

A recap on IMFL:

The more I noodle it here are where I think I went wrong:

• Drive down to FL - did not stay on top of my nutrition or hydration well at all.  That with stress the weeks before hand due to wrapping up work topics - I think that I started in an electrolyte deficit.  STRIKE 1
    • Once in FL did not do terribly well with hydration Thursday - somehow forgot to bring an electrolyte drink to Check in and ended up there hours intaking nothing. STRIKE 2
    • I had my clothing and all else well set for race day however the standing in cold sand may have been a trigger for some increased cramping.  STRIKE 3

Revisiting ROAR I also see that I need to think about Ca, not only Mg and K. I am going to start by taking a few TUMS before my swims and see how that helps, in addition to staying up on my electrolytes and Calcium in my daily life.

So I signed up for FL again, I cannot let my "home course" defeat me! Plus I really enjoy that race.

I took a week off to focus on diet and getting caught up at home, did a short ride yesterday and felt good so I'm back in the transition plan this week. I feel like I'm building upon a solid base finally and mentally I'm stronger than ever.

I'm going back to doing my PT exercises plus adding in some strength work while I hone in my body comp before the specific work starts next February.

I have mitigated my issues from last year in prep for IMTX :

🏊‍♀️I have full access to a new pool finally! No restrictions due to masters or youth swim teams.

🏋️‍♀️I have my total gym set up for cross training at homein addition to doing some core and misc. Gym workouts. I know IMTX swim is slow (10 minutes slower than IMFL and I was more swim ready for Texas) so I'm getting strong to be able to increase my swim cadence without sacrificing form. Plus it will help with staying in aero on my bike.

🏃🏼‍♀️I'm doing the Zwift Tri Academy for some of my transition work as I think it is awesome motivation in these crazy snowy days. Is that OK?

I'm excited to build upon 2019 - I'm still very disappointed in my year but the lessons I have learned are priceless. 💗

• Options

@Jenniferlyn Kryvicky thank you so much for the update! I really like how you have re-focused and identified key areas to improve upon. I agree with you choosing The Zwift Academy option, I think it’s a perfect mix of work and social engagement that will help you out. And what a great news about the new pool!

Our goal right now in this transition. Is to keep you in a space well we maintain a lot of games that you made in the past few months. We are not in a building mode, so don’t feel like you need to push or work hard. This is a great time to be mindful and to focus on the process.

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving and I look forward to your next update.

• Options
    edited September 25, 2020 1:59PM

Hi @Coach Patrick !  I am back! 

My back has been giving me a lot of issues as I have been working through the rebuilding of my glute endurance. I joined a local functional gym and have some private sessions on posterior chain strength and overall endurance. I am doing boxing, cardio, plyometics and Olympic Weightlifting so I am really getting a well rounded strength and cross-training impact here. If I cannot get to where I can run without back pain by the end of this year, then I am going to have to pull out of IMTX (April 2021) and focus on IMFL next November.

I am 30 weeks out from the race, and have plenty of time this year still to get into some base fitness - but I need to stop allowing this fear to be a mental block.   I have really grown as an athlete since I have been sidelined.  :-)    I am currently in Phase I of the Run Durability plan and was going to do Phase II before dropping in the November OS then transitioning to the IM training in January.  Does that sound about right? Since I have not trained in a year, thanks to this dumb butt of mine, I am taking the time to get STRONG all around and having fun with fitness so that my SBR workouts will be enjoyable and hopefully injury free moving forward! Thoughts on my Plan Of Attack? Should I submit a new season roadmap request?

• Options

@Jenniferlyn Kryvicky - thank you so much for the update! I am really pleased to hear that you are making the most of this "bonus" time to build critical strength. It's always amazing to me how much extra work can go into keeping us healthy and functionally active. Having back pain is no joke, so I am pleased to see that you are doing the good work to get right.

Side Note: Maybe you can share out some of what you are doing to the Team so they can learn? They love that stuff. We can discuss if you are interested.

Yes, RDP thru 11/2, then NOV OS is about right. Bike focused, and we can keep things rolling. You have the plans in Final Surge but I can help you out as needed with moving / installing / adjusting.

The goal here is consistency...regardless of the effort. So if it's a 30 minute run-walk session, we want to dial that in 4-5 times a week. Bonus on the weekend if you can go a bit longer, but that's up to you. I will also "accept" midday walks, etc. Time on your feet, with good posture, will really make a difference!

~ Patrick