Home Announcements 🎙
Options

Welcome to the New Forums!!! (post feedback here please)

They aren't perfect, but they are live!!  :D  Please see the instructions below...

CoverPhotoOnlyjpg-2png

EN Forum Introduction

Login to Endurance Nation, and click on the Forums Button in the Navigation.

That will take you to the new forums (you might have to login again). FYI - You will be prompted every 7 days to login again.

Once you are in the new forums, rejoice!

To learn more, here is the introduction information in a PDF for you (it;s in the new forums as as post and video as well!).

Key Steps:

1. You should click on your profile in the upper right and change your profile picture. The basic ones are pretty hideous!  :)

2. You should update your signature -- click the gear wheel in the upper right of the page and type away!  Note, please don’t edit your username / email here; we need those to let you in. But you can use the right sidebar to edit preferences, your signature and more!

Navigation

Categories — That’s the “top down” view of the forums, like we have traditionally had. You’ll see the 5 most recent posts for all forums by section. Note, you’ll see categories in the right sidebar as well, and that’s probably easier.

Threads — Those are the most recent posts, first, across all forums (not including Micro / Macro). That’s what’s happening!

Activity -- What’s happening to users in the forums by participation, etc. More on this soon as we demystify it!

Best Of -- These are our former Hall of Fame threads; just a new place to put them.

The Icons

-- Notifications. There’ll be a bubble here when something’s up.

-- Your forum inbox. This is specific to the forums itself, and is different than the other inbox on EN. Not sure how to reconcile that yet.

-- Your bookmarked threads (how you follow stuff). When you “Star” a forum post or thread, it will be retained here.

-- Your admin panel. Here you can edit your profile, change your notification setting (get emails when replies come in), change your photo, etc.

>> Here’s Video Walkthrough

Thanks for your patience, and more soon!

The Coaches

Comments

• Options
    Just here to say:  "Oh Yeah" (in the voice of Mr. Kool-Aid)
  • Options

Is there a way to mark all threads "read"?  I don't see that functionality anymore.

• Options

Is there a way to mark all threads "read"?  I don't see that functionality anymore.

Paul, just added it back!!
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2017 10:19AM
    Kudos to you, R & the EN team for doing this, a big distraction from the real business, but a giant step forward for Ironkind!
    is there a master setting to display date/time stamping of replies? when you look at a thread, it shows month/year of original posting, but not dates/ times.. might be helpful, particularly on the replies

also - LOVE the fact that this apparently saves drafts as we type  B)
  • Options
    Looks great so far!! Thanks
  • Options
    Woohoo!  Finally!  Looking forward to checking it out on the mobile too!
  • Options
    Super easy to post pics!  And way easier to update my profile, signature line, etc...   I'm sure it will take my brain a little while to be able to "see" what all is going on after so many years in the old format, but functionality seems a lot better....

Nice job guys!
  • Options
    Looks great.  Terrific work. 
  • Options
    Awesome ... just awesome...  yeah I posted some pic, updated my sig line....  re-kindled one of the best threads I ever started "The Dogs of EN"

Are you kidding me?  I even posted a picture on the Dashboard!

Did I mention awesome????
  • Options
    How do we mark all read ?
  • Options
    At the top of the page I see a button that says Mark All Viewed
  • Options
    Is this the right forum for de-bugging stuff or should it be somewhere else?

I tried to post a response in my old Wilderman thread in the Epic Forum and got the following popup:

What does that mean?  I tried to resubmit the saved draft before I saw the pop-up, don't know if my post will eventually appear ~2 or 3x.
  • Options
    At the top of the page I see a button that says Mark All Viewed
    But when I mark them all viewed, nothing happens.  Or at least I can't see anything happening.  I expected they would all disappear and then I would see only new threads and/or new comments similar to the old forum.  
  • Options
    I picked the best time to return to da haus!  LOVE LOVE LOVE the new forums.
  • Options
    In no particular order:
    • Thanks for the return of the sig lines. And the ease of posting attachments, media, etc.
    • I don't see a way to get auto-notification of new threads/posts BY CATEGORY. Only "stars" I see are in the threads. Any way to be notified when a new thread is started in the categories I select? I liked being notified when a new thread was started in, say IM AZ, or DEC OS, so I didn't have to fear missing something if I didn't go looking for new threads every day. Despite what it may seem, I don't log into EN forums all that often, only when I get prompted by email.
    • I agree, having the date/time stamped on each post is a must; *some* of the posts have times in them, none have dates.
    • I suspect our location (i.e., where we live) below our avatars will be coming soon?
    • All the email notifications I get for new posts come from PATRICK MCCANN. OK by me, but is that what you want? Before, they came from "admin"

• Options
    Hey Folks,

We're glad you like it! Like anything new, it will take you, and us, time to figure it all out. I'm banging on the admin panel back here to see how settings work from forum to forum, how to configure things, etc. Please be patient as we all work through this, but use this thread as a place you to drop things as you notice them and we'll see what we can do. 
  • Options
    So far, looks great. Couldn't figure out how to do a signature line before, so that was nice and super easy. I am getting some wacky autocorrects or word suggestions on my iPad--I need to proofread before posting or you'd think I "pocket posted" it.
  • Options
    So far looks good.  Couple of things in addition to the notes above.  The email notifications only contain the message that a new post was added.  Old forum actually had the content of the forum post in the email so I didn't have to log into the forums every time I got an email notification to read the post.  Also, when I uploaded my picture, the "choose picture", upload picture" and "change picture" buttons were all nearly on top of each other on my mac.  Don't know if that's just my computer doing wacky things or not.
  • Options
    @John Withrow I can't replicate that..and there's nothing in moderation...can anyone else replicate this!? 

@Paul Hough @FrancisPicardWhen I click mark as viewed, the "new" button goes away next to the posts...see image: 

@Al Truscott - thanks...

• working on category notification option
    • Date / Time stamp requested
    • Location under avatars requested
    • Changed email from (thanks!)
  • Options
    Thanks @Coach Patrick , yes that's what I figured. Just need to get use to the inferance :) thanks!
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick  - tested the JW issue, no problem posting to the Wilderman thread

-can we get the categories view to show not only who the last commenter was, but who started it? similiar to when you look at "most recent?"
    -can you add to a longer term list to convert everyone's visible username to be thier actual name. Not always connecting MSB104 to a name.. 
  • Options
    Worked fine on my iPad this morning (I was on my work computer yesterday, then tried on my home computer last night).  Weird.  Even weirder was that I was able to freely post on a bunch of other threads yesterday.  Maybe it healed itself...
  • Options
    I like. Simple to navigate and intuitive. Thanks for the upgrade:
    Question: What forum tool are you using? I have a site that needs an upgrade, maybe this is the tool?
  • Options
    I was on my work computer yesterday, 
    Maybe Big Brother is not as lenient as your former employer was on your tri-habit :#
  • Options
    I just saw that it is powered by vanilla forums. I think I like the tool.  I am checking it out now.
  • Options
    Holy Cow Batman! I just changed by picture! Wanted to do that for two years!
  • Options

Coach P -

1) Can you restore the functionality of showing the newest 10 threads on the Dashboard and the ability to link into them from the dashboard?

2) What I select "Mark All Viewed" my expectation is that every single thread would disappear.  So when I come back the next day and go into the forum the only threads I will see are new ones or those with new posts since I last marked them.  Is that functionality forever gone?

• Options
    New forum looks great. 

My feedback is to request all URLs should be hosted as https:// instead of http:// .

This is sometimes called "SSL Everywhere" which provides a privacy and security benefits since data passing the site and visitors is encrypted by the SSL/TLS protocol.

Vanilla Forums appears to provide SSL/TLS as a free component of their service, so I'd like to encourage your site admin to enable it (source).

There are a lot of good reasons for setting up SSL everywhere, including privacy; members of the team share personal info that they believe can only be seen by themselves, e.g. account settings, or other team members, e.g. posts in these forums. This is not the case with http://, as the data is sent unencrypted over the network where it's possible for others with know-how to see this information.

It's also a security concern as it's possible for malicious individuals on your network to steal your login credentials and do anything they want on the site acting as a member.

There are other benefits, including SEO: Google gives favorable page rank to sites that enable SSL everywhere.

All this to say, https:// should be enabled for all pages on Endurance Nation and these forums if you agree those concerns should be addressed. The Let's Encrypt project has made it possible to obtain trusted SSL/TLS certificates for free so the only cost is the time needed to set it up.

Hope this feedback is helpful. Thanks!

Ross
  • Options
    New forum looks great. 

My feedback is to request all URLs should be hosted as https:// instead of http:// .

This is sometimes called "SSL Everywhere" which provides a privacy and security benefits since data passing the site and visitors is encrypted by the SSL/TLS protocol.

Vanilla Forums appears to provide SSL/TLS as a free component of their service, so I'd like to encourage your site admin to enable it (source).

There are a lot of good reasons for setting up SSL everywhere, including privacy; members of the team share personal info that they believe can only be seen by themselves, e.g. account settings, or other team members, e.g. posts in these forums. This is not the case with http://, as the data is sent unencrypted over the network where it's possible for others with know-how to see this information.

It's also a security concern as it's possible for malicious individuals on your network to steal your login credentials and do anything they want on the site acting as a member.

There are other benefits, including SEO: Google gives favorable page rank to sites that enable SSL everywhere.

All this to say, https:// should be enabled for all pages on Endurance Nation and these forums if you agree those concerns should be addressed. The Let's Encrypt project has made it possible to obtain trusted SSL/TLS certificates for free so the only cost is the time needed to set it up.

Ross
  • Options
    New forum looks great. 

Ross