Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Mia Oubre's Marvelous Micro

Hey Patrick.  I have downloaded my Garmin activities.  Excited to hear what the plan is and how to set you my goals for the season!

Thanks
Mia 
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    @Mia Oubre

Great call today..thanks for the laughs! When I think about your year, as I mentioned, consistency is KEY. 

First, you need to load up your training plan to be the "Run Durability / Outseason Beginner Level" plan to end on 4/9/2017. You can do that on this page.

Here's an animation on how to do it:

As for the plan itself, it has Mondays and Fridays off...so that works great for you. For the remainder of the week, you should be all set for training. 

IF you only get in one session a day (say on Tuesday you get the bike but can't do the short run), I am okay with it. 

On Saturday I'd like you to try get in both the bike and run!

When you have a second; please use the red chat icon to send over your Training Peaks login / pass combo so I can stay connected!

Looking forward to this year!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    So I will be out of town this coming weekend and bringing my bike is not really an option.  I will likely be able to get the run portion of the weekend in but not the bike.  How do I rearrange this weeks workouts in order to get the Saturday brick in?  I will not be leaving until mid-morning on Friday so Friday morning is an option for a workout. 

Also, would it be ok for me to break up the Wednesday run into two sessions, one in the AM and one in the afternoon?  
  • Options
    Mia -

You have two options. You can move all of the workouts a day forward for the weekend. So this would be your regular week as planned through Thursday, and then this Saturday bikes on Friday morning. You would then do the long run and the sat brick  on separate weekend days.

That said, this Saturday brick is the least important work out of your entire week. It would be the first thing to go. I would be more than happy with you just getting in the long run and enjoying a rest day on the weekend. Remember you were still ramping up your training load as it's early in the season. 
  • Options
    So I have a Sprint coming up on June 11.  It's a 1/2 mile swim, 20 mile bike, 3.1 mile run.  How do I taper my current plan to account for this race.  It will be my first "long" distance and I don't want to be as sore as I am now!   :s 
  • Options
    @Mia Oubre - thanks for posting this here, I appreciate having a chance to write things out as it helps me do a better job of supporting you. 

I think that best option for you is on 5/29 to load the end of the Short Course plan to end on 6/11. You could do the last two weeks of the plan...which means you'll taper into the race itself...and then get back on track. How does that sound?

~ Coach P
  • Options
    I need a schedule adjustment for this week. We are leaving on Friday for vacation so that afternoon will be out for a workout and also Monday evening we have a work event to attend. How can I restructure this week to attempt to get all of the "red and yellow" workouts in? As for next week, I'll be able to run and possibly swim. 
    I am planning to Bike/run tomorrow morning and swim in the afternoon.  
  • Options
    @Mia Oubre -  I am standing by to help you, can you please tell me what plan you are in as well as the week number and the ability level? Without that information I can't tell exactly what you are doing!
  • Options
    LOL!  I guess that would help.  I'm currently in the short course beginner, week 14.  Did the bike and run this morning.  Did not get the swim in yesterday, planning to do that this afternoon, weather permitting (nasty little tropical storm getting in the way).  
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2017 10:21AM
    Mia - The only remaining big ticket items on your schedule or the long bike in the long run. If you can run while you are away this weekend, then I suggest you:

* bike ABP on Wednesday
    * Swim on Thursday 
    * do the long bike on Friday.
    * run on one of the weekend days, the other is off. 

For Week 15, I suggest you
    keep to the overall  run workout plan, but on the days without an actual work out for the run you plan on doing 30 to 40 minutes of a steady run at TRP pace. If you have the option to swim, do it but all I care about is that you get some kind of daily activity. If you vacation involves a long hike or similar activity that would suffice 
  • Options
    OK, back from vacation.   Time to get focused for Augusta.  I am kind of confused as to what plan I need to start.  I am 12 weeks out from Augusta as of yesterday.  My race plan tells me to start "beginner half" on 7/10.  Is that the 12 week beginner? And if so, then shouldn't I start that this week?    Thanks for the input. 
  • Options
    @Mia Oubre - thanks for checking back in! Sometimes we skip that first week of the plan simply because of testing and you might not need it. You are more than welcome to load up that plan now and get to work. 12 weeks to go on the clock is ticking. Let me know if you need me to make any modifications to the plan to keep you happy! Hope you had a great time on vacation. 
  • Options
    ok.  thanks.  Looking at next weeks schedule....The Wednesday brick run....Can I do that after work?  Or does it have to be immediately after the bike workout?
  • Options
    @Mia Oubre - you can always split the workouts as needed to accommodate your schedule. That is fine. How was your training going overall? The consistency is key here as the workouts get harder. Let me know.
  • Options
    Training is going well.  Yesterday was the longest bike ride ever!  lol  just at 30 miles.  The heat is gonna be tough to manage here in Baton Rouge, but that's what salt and ice are for I guess.  I'll keep you updated as it goes on.  
  • Options
    @Mia Oubre -  One of the reasons why consistent training at this time of year is important is so you have many opportunities to both and counter and try to fix that heat situation.

Staying hydrated Daily is super important, so weighing yourself pre-and post workouts will give you a good sense of how much fluid you're losing and if you need to change your hydration strategies.

You may also want to consider using arm coolers if you aren't already? Want to get them wet they're very effective on the bike, not so much on the run more ice is more important. Maybe Chris can help you out?
  • Options
    just when i think I've got this schedule worked out....One of the perils of being a gastoenterologist is the occasional GI bug which made me skip this mornings run.  I'll also miss today's swim because of a work function...How do I make these work out up?  I'm in week 3 of the 12 week half iron plan. 
  • Options
    @Mia Oubre -  don't worry about those workouts. The Wednesday bike and run, Thursday long run, Friday long swim, Saturday and Sunday rides around much more important. You are fine. Well, technically you aren't phone because of that bug… I hope it resolves quickly or that at least you gave it to everybody at your work function ( since it's probably one of their fault anyway).   ;)
  • Options
    Good morning...I know I am only in week 3 of my Half iron training, however, I am really concerned about my run volume.  I am a slow runner, very slow.   :D .  On a typical 45-50 minute run, i consistently can do a 5k.  I fear that I won't have the needed volume in time to do the 13.1 for the race.  My best half marathon time is 3:30 which scares me to pieces following a 56 mile bike ride.  Do I need to just trust the process or make changes?  I have been very consistent with training, even this week with the GI bug...The work function was cancelled and I was feeling better so I was able to get the Tuesday run in.  It is CRAZY hot here so I know that is playing with my paces, but it will likely be just a hot in Augusta in September.  Maybe, this is just my anxiety about race day starting... :/:#
  • Options
    @Mia Oubre -  thank you for reaching out! I can't help you unless you tell me what's up so this type of information is super helpful.

For me the biggest success is what your weekly run volume looks like. For a half Iron Man, I would like to have you in the 15 to 18 miles a week range.  That's not every week, but that should be Weeks six through three counting down to your race.

One of the ways to be at a little bit of volume is to have you cut the Sunday ride short -  instead of biking to her 2 1/2 hours, I suggest your bike just 60 minutes and then do a longer run of about 60 minutes to get another 3 miles. 

While some people get the idea of having a consistent weekly blood volume, others still think a longer standalone run is more Porten. I agree that getting in the long run is good simply to learn the hydration elements that help make you more successful. If you don't go long enough, he won't be able to practice enough to get it right. And it does matter! 

When you get a chance, could you please share with me how much running you've done on a weekly basis since we started? This will give me insight As to what's the best volume to do right now
  • Options
    OK run volume for July
    7/14-today 11.9 miles, plan to run today and Saturday per the plan. 
    7/7-7/13 13.4
    6/30-7/6 9.7

prior to that, was about 5-6 miles per week. 

• Options
    Another question....week 4 is test week...I really don't think I'll have seen significant change in 3 weeks since my last test.  Thinking to just repeat week 3...how's that work?  Or should I just skip ahead to week 5 and repeat that next week as well?
  • Options
    @Mia Oubre -sorry for the delay in replying to you, just getting back onto my feet now after Lake Placid. You can go ahead and do week five and we will have you repeat it, that's the best way to go. Honestly, at this point all I really care about is continuing your good run trend.
  • Options
    ok.  I've been trying to add as much run volume to my weeks as well.  
    But I'm still only getting 12-13 miles per week.  How/where do I add more?  Should I be focusing on the number of miles per day or time?  The time that is on the plan only gets me about 2-3 miles per run...given my paces.
    7/20-today  10.6 miles
    7/6-7/12 7.7
    6/29-7/5 7.6 

prior to that, was about 5-6 miles per week. 
  • Options
    Let's do the time math to get you 5 miles per run -- so plan that time into your training week. That will add quite a bit to your week. 

Lets see what that does to the weekly numbers!
  • Options
    ok, so every run needs to be 5 miles?  or a total of 5 per day?  Tomorrow is a double run day?  Is tomorrow a total of 10 miles?  Sorry to keep bothering...I'm just confused.  lol
  • Options
    @Mia Oubre -   Sorry for the confusion. Your split long run I should be done as written. All of your other runs should be about 5 miles on their own. You don't have to jump there magically the next day…

Maybe next week there for miles and the week after their four a half then five? We just need to get the mileage up there and keep your legs happy! 
  • Options
    First things first....Congrats on IMMT.  What a RACE!  So awesome

Now on to my issues....I am looking ahead at next week.  I'm in the Beginner Half-Iron plan.  In week 9 on Thursday, there is a Half RR run, calls for 11- 13 miles.   As it is now, I can barely get 8-9 on the 2 hour long run on Thursday this week.  How can I adjust next week to be able to do the RR long run on the weekend without missing critical bike work....I just don't see how to make that work on a weekday, before or after work....
  • Options
    Hi @Mia Oubre!

Jenn Edwards here stepping in as our fearless leader makes his way back from IMMT.   

If I'm understanding correctly, you ARE able to run two hours on Thursday.  I that is true - that's perfect.  Just get done whatever distance you can get done in that two hours practicing your race execution strategy.  If you can't (maybe you can only go 90') it would be best to cut the Sunday ride by an hour and then add another 15' to that Sunday run to keep the run volume up.

Rest assured, if you're able to keep that weekly run volume up per P's notes above, your long run at two hours is plenty of preparation.  Actually that's why the plan is written this way as much more may be too hard to recover from.   Here's how the plan reads: "Half Ironman RR Run MS: 2 hours or 11 to 13 miles (whichever comes first) done as 30%-60%-10%."

Feel free to ping me back here if this doesn't answer your question. And good luck in Augusta!   :)

• Options
    @Jenn Edwards thanks so much for the reply!  this helps!
  • Options
    So I had my first bike crash yesterday on my last RR weekend before Augusta.  Race in on Sept 24th.  I'm ok, just pretty bruised and sore.  Are there any adjustments that I need to make to training, besides resting and NEVER CRASHING AGAIN?  FYI...I blame the crash on @Chris Oubre lol!