Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Mia Oubre's Marvelous Micro

Comments

• Options
    edited September 12, 2017 10:44PM
    Nooooo!!  You should always blame him, but I'm glad to hear you are OK. Definitely rest this week but stay active with walking and perhaps some jogging if that's possible.  We just don't want you to tighten up. 

Hopefully you are back at it by the weekend!!

~ Coach P 

PS make sure @Chris Oubre checks your bike out!
  • Options
    So here's the official race story...
    A little background info...I have had a bone spur in my right heel for over 7 years which caused plantar fasciitis. This spur and PF has not had caused me issues in a very long time, in fact, throughout this entire year of training, absolutely no issues with it. 
    Everything was going very well.  I had tapered well the weeks leading up to Augusta; had no pain in my foot at all even race morning. 
    Prior to the swim, I stretched as I always do, and again, felt no pain in the foot. 
    Swim was FANTASTIC, although the water was cold.  It was 77 degrees, so no wet suit.  Once I jumped in and adjusted to the temps, I was off.  My typical pool swim for that distance is just under an hour, I had a 40 MINUTE SWIM!  I thought, "oh my gosh, I'm actually gonna do this today".  That's when things went downhill.  
    My first step out of the swim exit ramp was painful, but I thought I has stepped on something.  The entire run from the exit to transition, which is about 500 yards, was painful.  I thought I just had a terrible muscle cramp in my foot.  Got to my bike and took a few licks of BASE salt and a couple of big drinks of Gatorade.  I was off on the bike.  
    First 10-15 miles were pretty good.  Foot hurt, but it felt like it was getting better.  Then, the first big climb came at mile 18.  At that point, I knew something just wasn't right.  I got off my bike at the first aid station and when I put my foot down, it was like lightening shooting through my foot.  Again, took more salt and more Gatorade thinking this was muscle....back on the bike.  At this point, I was not able to keep my typical pace and was really starting to worry.  By the 2nd aid station, around mile 30, I think I knew my race was over, but I wanted to try to push to transition.  I was given Motrin and a foot ice bath at the 2nd aid station and was back on the bike.  somewhere between mile 40 and mile 47, i pulled over at least 2 times to just get the pressure off of the foot.  When I got to the last aid station at mile 47, i could put absolutely no weight on my right foot.  needless to say, I did not even make it to transition and couldn't complete the race
    Fast forward to Tuesday after the race, I went to urgent care and found that the bone spur has broken at some point.  Saw my podiatrist and after an MRI, it was concluded that the pain is due to severe plantar fasciitis.  At this point the plan is for a walking boot and non-weight bearing for a few weeks, then physical therapy for 6 weeks.  
    I have set up a call with you towards the end of October, but figured inquiring minds wanted to know.

• Options
    @Mia Oubre - I had gathered some intel along the way from folks who were SUPER IMPRESSED with how hard core you are. I am bummed that your race ended soon, but glad you did stop. That sounds MISERABLE. 

The outcome doesn't take away from all the successful hard work you did all year long. You were fit and ready....and you will be back. 

How can I support you while you are on the mend?

We've all spent time in Das Boot!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Just an update....I have been cleared by my podiatrist as of yesterday to start training again.  B) I have custom orthotics coming in about 4 weeks.  I am ready to get back to it, just not sure where to start.  I am planning to sign up for Augusta again, which is 9/23/18.  I don't really have any other races on target yet, but will hopefully do a few sprints over the spring and summer next year.  Of course, that will highly depend on Chris' schedule with Texas AND Boulder on the horizon.   What do you suggest? 
  • Options
     Yeah! That is fantastic news!

Once you get those orthotics, you will need to walk in them for two weeks whenever possible before trying to run in them. It’s a slow process, but it is worth it.

For right now, I would like to have you on the bike heading to gym. Our goal will be to get three rides a week of about 45 minutes each. The other days you can walk and do some strength training as you have done in the past combined time would be about 60 minutes for the day.

Can Chris get you set up on Zwift? 
  • Options
    So...Things are getting better.  Foot feels pretty good.  Running and biking some and getting to kickboxing 3 times a week.  With all that said, i am thinking of potential races towards the end of the year,specifically, North Carolina 70.3.  If I were to do that, what would by training schedule be?  With Chris' intense schedule this year, have to figure if it would be feasible this year or not.  
  • Options
    Also considering Texas 70.3 next year as travel there is lots easier for us....
  • Options
    @Mia Oubre -  hope you had a lot of fun at the big party last night! When I was talking to Chris you let me know that you need to likely ease back into the running. I would suggest a period of two weeks where you do some elliptical time or stairmaster before you get back to full on running. That will really help with the transition.

Can you get me the dates of those races? I know North Carolina has been up in the air so it will be helpful if you just told me the dates and then I could think about what that means for the rest of your year. Thank you!
  • Options
    So after some contemplation of what I want out of this year and looking at my vacation time at work, I think NC is out for this year.  I think I need a slow build with a lot of improvement in time on each discipline.  So, I am going to set my sights on a 2019 Texas 70.3 and possibly a vindication at Augusta 70.3.    So, now what?   ;)
  • Options
    Mia, I can help you when I know what the races are...if you haven't already, please submit your races to me online here and I can map out the year for you!

For now, continuing focusing on Smarter, Not Harder!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    I don't have a specific date for Texas 70.3 for 2019.  It is on April 8th this year, so looking forward, i'm thinking possible 4/7/19.  Augusta is 9/29/19. 

• Options
    For now, i am in the January OS and taking it fairly easy

• Options
    @Mia Oubre -  got it! For some reason I thought you were dropping one race but still keeping Augusta for this year. Sounds to me like we will work in a consistent training block for you and then potentially jump into some shorter races this season? I don’t necessarily need to know when they are but just let me know if that’s what you’re thinking.

if we aren’t going to focus on a race outcome, then it might be worthwhile to consider setting some intermediary benchmarks that could be both motivational and hold you accountable.

Things that come to mind include:

– body composition

– workout streak

– Mileage target for Bike or Run

– a test goal time or piece/effort

Let me know what you think! 

~ Coach P 
  • Options
    I like the idea of target mileage for the bike a run.  monthly or weekly goals?  Not sure which would be best.  Of course, the caveat is to start low for now and ramp up after June when Chris is finished with Boulder... thoughts? 
    Foot is slowly getting better.  Still aches after a run, but nothing that some ice and stretching can't fix. 
  • Options
    Mia - Are usually go for weekly. Why don’t you tell me what you done for the last four weeks in both disciplines and we can outline things for there. Just give me a number for each discipline for each week as a starting point.
  • Options
    OK...now that IMTX is behind us...OMG WHAT A RACE!!!!
    I have been thinking of what's next for me after we finish Boulder.  The schedule with the kids has slowed some too, so I've been able to be more consistent with running.  I had set a goal of 30 miles in 30 days for April which I met.  YAY!  and no foot pain, even better.  I'm going to keep that going through May and will start adding back in a few Bike days a week as well.  Maybe a swim once a week if the schedule allows.  All that being said, I think I am setting my eyes on a half marathon on December 1, 2018.  The Rock N Roll in San Antonio.  Then Texas 70.3 for some vindication. What would the training plan look like for that?  After Boulder, I can really start to focus again and I am READY!.   B)
  • Options
    @Mia Oubre -  I think you are ready and also sufficiently inspired! There’s no way he could’ve done what he did without the support of you and the family, and I’m just so happy for all of you. What a day.

I like how you got an intermediary go and you’re just staying consistent against it. The fact that you don’t have a penis massive. Adding bike days back and should be very easy, although looking for is just two sessions a week and I’m not even that worried about the duration. 

A half marathon in December means that we need to be running 8 to 10 miles a week by the end of August. That’s not a big stretch to go from 30 to 40 miles a month in that timeframe, especially if you’re able to add in some cycling to offset the work you’re already doing. How does that sound to you?
  • Options
    I’m really glad she doesn’t have a massive penis either!  Hahahahah
  • Options
    Yep, agreed with chris...that would be kinda surprising!

The mileage sounds good.  I'll start increasing after boulder.  
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2018 8:15PM
    I'll load up the run focused plan and then reevaluate after Boulder. 
  • Options
    @Mia Oubre @Chris Oubre OMG 😲 I am simultaneously laughing so hard and I’m also very ashamed. So sorry for not proofreading.

You can start laying the groundwork for life after Boulder by getting in those consistent short sessions now. I’ll take anything whether it’s bike or run. Just something to start to loosen up the body and create the habit of training so that when we come back, your transition is a fairly easy one.
  • Options
    Good Morning!  I had a great time hanging out with you guys for Boulder, wish it wouldn't have been so ridiculously hot though.  
    Anyhow, I'm ready to get to training. I currently have the run focus block, beginner that will end on 7/22.  
    Plan is for a half marathon on December 9th, the IM texas 70.3 in April.  The date hasn't been officially set, but historically, it has been the first or second weekend in April.  What training plan should I load up next?  I'm currently running 7-10 miles per week.  
  • Options
    @Mia Oubre -  it was super fun hanging out with you as well. It was just as much fun as it was hot! 🔥 🔥 🔥 

With almost 5 months between the end of the run focus plan and the start your half marathon, there is plenty of room. You have the opportunity to “close out“ the triathlon season with the sprint race or two. Is that something you’re interested in? I only ask because you already have everything you need to swim bike and run. If short races like that are off the table then our options are wide open.

I still like people to follow a multisport focus — don’t get too run-only for example, so I would challenge you in that regard. 

What is your goal for the half marathon in terms of time? I could also help me make a good decision. Thanks!
  • Options
    As for sprint tri's...Its a possibility.  There are 1-2 that I may do in August, but I haven;t signed up for them.  I have to look at the dates and figure that out with the timing of school starting back for the kiddos.  Regardless, I don't feel like I have to do any specific training for that.  As of now, I'm biking, running and swimming distances that would get me to the finish line, which is the only goal for now.  :)

I agree, I want to train with a multi-sport focus through the year.  As for the half marathon, I haven't really thought of a specific time goal.  I'd certainly like a PR, but honestly, I am looking to use this as a bridge to Texas 70.3.  When I was training for Augusta, I had never really built up the run more than about 9 miles which made me very nervous knowing how slow of a runner I am.  I want to feel much more confident in the bike and run going into April next year.  
    I think my best half marathon was 3:15... lots of room for improvement. I have always done better physically with a run/walk strategy which I've been doing well with in terms of injury. 
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!
  • Options
    @Mia Oubre -  Since your races are undecided, how about a compromise? Why don’t we load the beginner short course plan to end on Labor Day weekend. This way you will be in that fitness mentality in the event a race arises. It’s always nice to have that in your back pocket.

Once you’re through that, I would recommend a transition to the bike focus plan with an eye towards a fall metric century.  Since your races are undecided, how about a compromise? Why don’t we load the beginner short course plan to end on Labor Day weekend. This way you will be in that the fitness mentality in the event a race arises. It’s always nice to have that in your back pocket.

Once you’re through that, I would recommend a transition to the bike focus plan with an eye towards fall metric century. Not sure if they have that in your area or not, but it’s a nice social challenge that’s not too hard to prepare for. Let me know if you have such events in October. Then we can move you into run durability plan with the goal of putting you in the OS come early January.

What do you think?
  • Options
    That sounds good.  My one question is that for a half marathon on December 9th, does the bike focus and run durability give me the distance that I will need to get that done.  

I will start looking for a Fall metric century in the area.  May be a virtual ride here.  Not sure.  I'll let you know. 
  • Options
    Opps!  Guess I was logged in as Chris!  Lol
  • Options
    Yes. We will need to check in around Labor Day to confirm and potentially strategize a bit with how the plan will unfold.
  • Options

OK, checking in. I had a little set back last couple of weeks. Had a flare of my PF. I am back in PT early this time though and I think we have figured that my hips are actually where the PF flares are originating so we are working on that as well as my feet. I was able to get back out and run yesterday and will get back on the bike today. Taking it fairly easy, but the PT wants me to continue to train as much as possible too.

With that being said, races are set. Half marathon on December 9th and IM Texas 70.3 on April 7th 2019! May do a second half marathon in early February if it works into the plan. I want to be sure that I am really ready for the run for my 70.3. I don't have any time goals, just to be able to finally cross that finish line (without any ruptured plantar fascia!)

I have loaded up the bike focus plan for now. That looks to finish in 6 weeks. What's the plan after that?

• Options

Sorry to hear about the flare up, but I’m glad that you are attacking us and taking a look at the hips. You are right, most of the problems come from a lack of hip mobility.

After you finish the bike focus plan, I suggest you load the balanced half marathon plan to end on December 9. You and I can connect to modify things at that time. Then we recover through the new year and start the build for Texas!

Really looking forward to this!