Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Rory Gumina Micro Thread...

@Rory Gumina

Good to connect with you today. As you explore the Team, there's a lot to do, so I hope I can keep you focused:
  1. We need to work in a day of rest for you. Regardless of the plan, there has to be an off or at least light/optional day where if you aren't feeling it, you can rest. Future you will thank present day you. 
  2. I suggest you head over to the Boomer forum and say hi. Some are in your AG but there's years of incredible knowledge there...and good friends as well. 
  3. You asked about the member map..it's updated 1x a month, but it's over here under Community / Member Map
You mentioned sending over when you train with your local group(s) but I can't find it right now...if you could resend, we can dig into organizing your week!

Looking forward to working with you,

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options
    Coach P - How often do you and Coach R want to hear about my daily workouts?  And, do either/both of you want to me to connect to you in Training Peaks?

Let me know ... Thx!
  • Options
    Coach P, I am entered in 5mile road race this Saturday Mar. 11 ... coincides with my BIG DAY ... should I use that run as my big day run, and then ride 3hrs later that day ... or should I try to do BIG DAY the following day instead?  What do you suggest?
  • Options
    ... and from your original note, below are my Training Groups:
    • Tuesday's I train with running club Mar-Nov (mostly speed work, but longer options always available);
    • Sat. (now-Apr) I do hard CompuTrainer course rides
    • Wednesdays (Apr-Aug) I do hard, hilly 35mi ride with biking group
      Sundays thru mid-June hard swim practice (4K-5K yds)
    • Sundays thru mid-June hard swim practice (4K-5K yds)
  • Options
    @Rory Gumina

Hey, just saw this! Here's the skinny: 
    • I don't need to see daily workouts, but please use the red chat button on the EN site to send me your TP username and login so I can peek in there when we do talk. 
    • The Big Day is more about "A day of endurance" than it is about Swim/Bike/Run. So run, and ride later, that's fine. I honestly think it will be more challenging your way, so you earn bonus points!!!!!  :smile:
    Based off your current training week, I think this will work for you while you are in your EN*HALF plan: 

Mon - As planned.
    Tue - Run club speedwork to replace EN run. Also swim.
    Wed - As planned at home on trainer until Apr when you can be outside. 
    Thu - Long run as planned.
    Fri - As planned. 
    Sat - Your Sat ride replaces EN rides, just note volume demands starting on May 1st which coincides well with the end of your CT rides.
    Sun - These swims are fine. Generally Sunday includes a Always Be Pushing Ride (ABP); in light of your swim set, I'd suggest you get in 1 to 2 hours of aerobic ride time after that swim (stiill in the AM). If that's not possible, let me know and we'll adjust more!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    No bonus points ... Treadmill run instead of 5 mile Race (due to 0 degree temp) for my Big Day yesterday.

Followed by 3 hr Computrainer ride ... same course twice, plus wu/cd.
    First loop prob too hard: Only 27% zone 3 or below, 49% zone 4, 24% 5+ 
    2nd loop: 
    zone 1,2: 25%, zone 3: 60%, zone 4+: 15%

1:32 T-pace for 1,000 today

Training Peaks login: just sent via red chat button

Will follow your plan advice above

Thanks Coach!
  • Options
    Rory -

That's actually not so bad for your first attempt! It's always hard to get that pacing right the first time, but I think you understand what we're trying to achieve here. I am curious to know how you felt on the bike positionally as well as how your nutrition work all day. 

Those are two important early indicators that help us determine if we need to make any early focus changes in your training. Let me know! 
  • Options
    Coach Patrick,

Bike positioning seemed ok ... it's a new bike* so still tweaking a bit ... spent maybe 75% in aero, 20% base bar, 5% standing to move blood around ... no chafing or discomfort ... right toes just a little tingly when I dismounted.

Nutrition: 1 packet of Choc. UCAN (in two soft flasks) after ~1.5hrs ... just water to hydrate (~16 oz).

Another packet of Choc. UCAN (in water) post-ride.
    • Guessing you're familiar with UCAN (especially since mfg. is relatively close to you in CT)
    • I've been using it exclusively for my nutrition for a few years
    • Choc. packet incl. 13g protein, 240 mg sodium, 140 mg potassium, 33g Carbs (but only 1g sugar)
    • https://www.generationucan.com/chocolate.html

*Trek Speed Concept 9.9 ... Red 22 Etap Groupset ... only excuse remaining is the engine! ... ;-)
  • Options
    @Rory Gumina - that's a great update. I'm not surprised by the discomfort as my did not long on the trainer is actually harder than running outside. If you are already I would suggest you do worked on bowling and stretching your hamstrings a bit two or three times a week. Maybe just a few minutes while you watching TV at night or as a post workout cool. That flexibility matters.

And your bike is literally a human missile machine.. Definitely no excuses. Curious to hear how you like the eTap!!

Finally can you help me clarify your nutrition. I understand how you can't works but I'm not sure how you're taking it. I do recommend that you start eating within the first 15 minutes of being on the bike. So when you say "1 packet of Choc. UCAN (in two soft flasks) after ~1.5hrs"  does that mean you waited an hour and a half to start eating?

Thanks!

~ Coach P
  • Options

Coach Patrick,

I have two "events" in upcoming weeks that I'm seeking your Training Plan input on:

Apr 11-17 (HIM trng plan wk 13): Family vacation in Bermuda ... can get a few runs in, and maybe a swim (open water) ... biking not likely (prob not for lack of bike availability, but for time required away from Fam)

Apr 30 (HIM trng plan wk 15): Rochester Half Marathon, 730am start (had registered prior to joining Team EN) ... Training Plan has Apr 29 as 1st race rehearsal so not sure how best to handle?

Let me know what you think, thanks Coach P!

• Options
    Re-ping ... Coach P, any thoughts on how I should handle the two "events" I described in previous note?
  • Options
    @Rory Gumina Thanks for the bump...no idea how I missed this!!!

April 11 to 17th (Tues to Monday):
    • I say you plan to bike fairly "big" on the 8th/ 9th to compensate for your time off the bike...say 3 hours each day? Sat as planned, Sunday for time in Zones 1 to 2.
    • Then let's do this:
    • Mon - Swim
    • Tue - OFF
    • Wed - FRP Run, total 45'.
    • Thu - Long Run as planned.
    • Fri - OFF
    • Sat - 45' run with some strides.
    • Sun - Long run #2, same time as Wed run, but a bit easier pace.
    As for that second session, I say we bump the RR itself to the following weekend (wk 16) and instead do your week as planned with these changes: 
    • Wed - As planned.
    • Thu - 40' Run mostly TRP with a few strides.
    • Fri - Swim only (or off)
    • Sat - 60' easy Zone 1 to Zone 2 spin in the AM to keep your fitness sharp. 
    • Sun - Race it out, Half Marathon Race Guidance here.

Does that do it?

~ Coach P
  • Options
    All good as long as FRP = TRP?  Couldn't find the acronym in my training plan for that week, nor the Wiki ENAIA ...

Bonus question: am targeting 1st IM for Placid in 2018 ... how nuts would it be to sign up for Lake Placid Camp this year? ... eg. overkill?, too much recon?, get a life?
  • Options
    @Rory Gumina -

YES, TRP. Sorry about that! I see you signed up...totally worth it to recon the area; the group is fun and the course is amenable to modifying distances as needed on the bike. Going to be epic!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Yesterday's half mary resulted in a ~2min PR at 1:41.47!  Executing 3/7/3 as per EN Race Guidance (including resisting urge to over-cook in 1st 3 miles).  Actually negative split each 5K.  HIM confidence builder for sure ... and reinforcement not to be "stupid" on the bike.  Thx Coach P!
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick I have a Sprint Tri on Sept. 10.

Following my IMMT race, I'm thinking to load up IM Transition Plan (to end 9/17) and just do Week 1.

Then load up 2017 Short Course Advanced and have it end Sept. 10 (so would get the final 2 weeks of that plan).

What do you think?
  • Options
    @Rory Gumina -  that sounds perfect. Just if you need to rest, do it. And don't force any of the hardest sessions… You are fit enough and will be fast on race day...that first week of spring training might be more about reintegration than anything else! 
  • Options

@Rory Gumina

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Your Notes

Started RDP 1 mid-Sept, then transitioned to Run 100 days Straight challenge in early Oct. ... also have 2 Xcntry races 10/29 (7:09/mile for 6K, strong for me) ... and 11/12
    1-2 days per week Zwift riding (ABP when can, otherwise FTP test or Workouts ... but did do first Zwift race Oct. 30) ... looking to ramp this up
    Swimming just once a week ... 2K+ @ 1:35/100 yds ... per Coach P. suggestion

Your Races

Main Race:

• Ironman 70.3 Florida (2018-04-08) #70.3Florida_18

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 11/30/2017
    • On 12/4/2017 Load the Intermediate OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 3/11/2018
    • >> Transition Early << 
    • On 2/12/2018 Load the Intermediate EN*Half to end on 04/08/2018
    • On 4/9/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 4/22/2018

Coach Notes

Rory, time to dive into the December OutSeason Plan, go run focused so you can keep the challenge up. The key change here will be to add a bit more focus to the bike week while you continue to run.  You'll leave yearly and move to the EN*Half Plan to get ready for the big day. 

Let me know what you think and let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options
    Thx for the feedback @Coach Patrick!

I ended up starting Bike-Focused Nov OS after I submitted my season plan (set to end Feb. 4).  Am also maintaining 100 day run streak (ends early Jan) ... going easy with any runs not on OS plan.  Saw bike power increase in first few weeks, now has plateaued ... run metrics (pace, power, hr) all maintaining.

Plus one swim a week, and two functional strength workouts per week (all muscle groups ... Les Mills Body Pump).

Per your note, I will start EN HIM plan after OS, to end April 8 for IM FL 70.3.

2018 IM goal is under 11 hours ... 1hr S, <6hr B, <4hr R ... I'm feeling like my run fitness & performance can support that goal IF I can achieve bike power improvement to deliver the target and plenty in the tank for the run.  Haven't quantified what FTP that is yet ... would BBS help me with that?

Let me know what you realistically think about this, and any other comments.  Thx as always!
  • Options
    @Rory Gumina - sounds good...yes, BBS can help you map out a target FTP. It'll take some futzing on that, so maybe you do the math here in the forums?

FTP divided by Current Weight in Kgs = W/kg. Ideally you are in the 3.0 to 3.5 range, the higher on that scale you are, the better off you'll be (unless you are less than 60kgs, in which case you might not have enough baseline watts to push the flats). 

To keep it simpler, the STRONGER YOU CAN GET NOW in the Winter, the better off you'll be. 

So maybe we adjust some of the runs so you can do more work on the Bike? For example...

Mon - Wicked short run here...like 15 minutes, zero cost.
    Tues - Run after bike, so quality bike here.
    Wed - AM run here to maximize recovery time.
    Thu - Run after bike, so semi-quality bike here (a bit of fatigue)
    Fri - Short run today, ideally AM if you can...
    Sat - Really solid ride here...push the Tempo, maybe do the MGCC ride to hang on. Lots to be gained here.
    Sun - Run as planned.

Let me know what you think!

~ Patrick
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick , new W/kg as of Sat. 2.97 (220/74) so got some work to do on both numerator and denominator.

I like the rhythm of the week you laid out ... and the Bike focus ... have begun to dial that in ... will intermix with Sat. Computrainer rides with local group every other week or so (foregoing Sat. MGCC or ABP).

Last thing, am currently in for 4/8 FL 70.3, then IMLP mid-July ... do I want to hop into IMTX at end of April?  The lure of 80 Kona spots, and desire to get another bite of the IM apple is the draw ... tho' this year there were 4 under 11 hrs, so would expect more next year esp. given NA Champs.  Training time shouldn't be an issue, now that I can get huge challenge via Zwift ... but it would cost a bunch of $$$ (general entry is closed) and would be self-defeating if I couldn't be ready to do well there, and if it would then screw up IMLP.

What do you think ... straight-up no sugar-coating ... thx!
  • Options
    @Rory Gumina -  I say that you don’t make it home Texas until after the new year. I want to see how your December gOes, especially as you continue to quality on the bike and a smooth transition from one year to the next. 

I don’t think the transition from Texas to Placid is that bad, the question is more can you be as fit as you want to be in time for Texas? You know that your son was good and has a strong swimmer the race for favor you. The question is what will your FTP need to be to put you in the ZIP Code of those other athletes? If we feel good about that and you’re running health I am OK with pulling the trigger.

It will be an atypical build the total impossible. The sacrifice you’re making for Placid is a well done racing Texas will be in a much harder second loop on the run in New York
  • Options
    Makes sense @Coach Patrick ... and to attempt to quantify an FTP trigger point:
     - earlier you suggested targeting upper end of 3-3.5 W/kg
     - at current 74kg that's FTP 222-259 watts
     - so, if we see increase to >240 watts by early Jan. I think that would give me confidence (that's +10% from today ... assuming no kg change)

What do you think?
  • Options
    That is perfect! I suggest that you try and challenge yourself in increments of 5 W each week. Once you achieve a five white bumps, you get to go though higher than next week. If it doesn’t work in the interval sessions, don’t be afraid to push a little harder on those weekend temple right. There is a lot of fitness to be had there as well!
  • Options
    IMFL 70.3 ... the learning continues ... undaunted, despite the lingering sting of another sub-par run.  Fitness played a role* but could've been mitigated with better bike execution.
    * 5 wks out - Europe business trip (no workouts)
    * 4 wks out - Flu (no workouts)
    * 3 wks out - Hosting overseas visitors ("distracted" workouts)

Hindsight, both Race Rehearsal rides were below watt targets and runs were fine ... duh.

Will share data in upcoming race report, but knowing you're prepping for Mallorca wanted to fire this off.
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick ... fyi below is my Race Report link ... i scheduled time with you via calendly ... talk to you next week!
    https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/24658/rory-gumina-im-fl-70-3-race-report#latest
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick quick question ... IM Plan has Camp wk 15 and RR#1 wk16 ... LP Camp is wk 16 for IMLP ... ok to just swap the two weeks?  eg. do RR#1 wk 15 (6/11 wk) ... assume yes but wanted to confirm ... thx! 
  • Options
    Yes, that’s totally fine. In other words get your race rehearsal done in a clean weekend, and then come to Lake Placid ready to put in some big volume but with minimal “raise specific performance” objectives.
  • Options
    On our call tomorrow @Coach Patrick I want to discuss my Erie marathon power, hr, and pacing.  Below are data from my most recent long runs.  Talk with you soon!  And THANKS!

• Options
    edited August 21, 2018 7:05PM
    @Rory Gumina - great call...and workout updated for you. I am looking forward to learning more about what the power numbers "give you" in terms of HR and Pace!

~ Coach P
  • Options

@Coach Patrick the podcast was fun yesterday! Thx for suggesting it!

z5 recovery provides lots of time on my hands, and I've been thinking about what's next ... when you get the chance, pls. review below and comment ... thx Coach!

Sep-Dec: Events: XCntry season w/Run Club; Trng: RDP w/Bike Focus, continue run streak, swim 1x/wk

Jan-early Apr: Events: Rattler Ultra run (C / "fun"), Boston Mary (B/fun); Trng: Marathon/Ultra(?) plan, run streak, wkly swim

Mid Apr-early June: Events: Eagleman 70.3; Trng: HIM plan, run streak

June: RECOVER ... HARD!

July-Sept: Event IM Maryland (A); IM plan w/informal on-course Camp wknd if possible, run streak

2019 Season Goals:

1. KQ for 2020 (choosing IMMD offers familiarity with earlier Eagleman)
    2. 1st taste of Ultra running
    3. Enjoy Boston Marathon experience!

Fitness progression to enable #1 above will be to become significantly stronger on Bike ... plan is to accomplish that via copious Zwift racing.

Getting quality run intensity and volume through the winter will be a challenge ... adequate opportunities (indoor track w/run club 2x wkly, home treadmill, outside) but will require mental focus.