Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Rory Gumina Micro Thread...

13»

Comments

• Options

Quick question @Coach Patrick ... my Marathon plan training is going well ... i have a 5-mile road race scheduled for Sat. Mar. 14th ... below is FS plan for neighboring days ... am thinking to just eliminate the 5mi Marathon Easy run from Friday ... so mileage for the week remains same, but with more intensity during the Sat. race. Not thinking it would impact my 10mi sunday run. What do you think?

• Options

Upon further review ... am plng to substitute the race for this week's 1/7/1 Tempo run ... wkly mileage may be a few miles lower, but with more intensity ... though not as much as my original thought above ... ping if you have other thoughts ... thx!

• Options

@Rory Gumina - Good call on the switch...is your race still "on" given what's happening?

• Options

@Coach Patrick - yup both 5 miler last wknd, and April half mary are off ... Buffalo Mary still on as of now, so I'm sticking to my Plan! BTW, thanks for hosting the FB event today! ... not only for the content, but also just for the opportunity for social interaction!

• Options

@Coach Patrick - Buffalo just postponed 2020 race to 2021 ... my current plan is:

• continue daily Strength (core, iso) & Stretching regimen I had committed to for Buffalo, which is paying dividends with bike FTP gains, & run CP gains run
    • load up 70.3 plan targeting Musselman in mid-July (still haven't registered)
    • load up Marathon plan targeting Erie in early Sept (also haven't registered)

Above gives focus that I need ... while also keeping option to add IM sometime in 2020 ... eg. i had been harboring thought that if Buffalo went well, then Mussel, would look to carry fitness into late-Aug/Sept IM

Stay Safe & Sane!

• Options

@Rory Gumina - happy to socialize with you in the event, and don't forget we have a happy hour plans for this Friday night at 8 PM. Be sure to check the calendar in group me or here on the website for the 411.

Absolutely keeping up with the daily strength, I'm glad to see that it's really working out for you and I really appreciate the strategic bill that you have undertaken so far this year. The idea of transitioning into the 70.3 plan sounds perfect giving your fitness and the timing for the year. Of course, we don't know if things will work out with the race but this is a good natural progression to build volume and prepare you for a bigger event in the Fall (marathon or otherwise).

Since events are out of our control, it's likely worthwhile for you to plan on some DIY cycling events that get you outside safely with the chance to build some good endurance. Any thoughts on that?

~ Coach P

• Options

Hi @Coach Patrick ! Well, the fluidity of any potential "season" continues ... both HIM Mussel (mid July) and Erie marathon (early Sept) were just announced postponed. While I hadn't registered for either, my FS plan was loaded for the former, and then was plng to pivot to the latter ... SO ... looking for your input on how to load up a new plan for this Summer given below ... thx Coach!:

• Virtual TT Run Event end of June: my running club is hosting ... I had planned for a 5K (thought it would fit easily within Mussel HIM plan I was following), but could switch to 1mi, 10K, or Half Mary
    • Maintain/build on improving bike fitness (top 3 90-min all-time power have happened in the past 5 wks ... incl. LT Best yesterday)
    • Target Al Truscott 2K Swim/80K Bike/20K Run virtual event Aug. 28/29
  • Options

... should add ... will stay the current course through next wknd and complete EN UltraMay Challenge!

• Options

@Rory Gumina - thanks for the update. I have been watching your numbers roll Lynn and it's clear that we are starting to see some of your strength extend to the right.thanks for the update. I have been watching your numbers roll In and it's clear that we are starting to see some of your strength extend to the right. It's nice to see that happen as the season transitions; you've earned the higher numbers!

Actions:

1. Maintain Current Plan thru UltraMay
    2. Recovery Week post UltraMay (OUCH!).
    3. I like the idea of the 10k for your Club Challenge. We could use the next 3 to 3.5 weeks post UM to extend that run speed a bit.
    4. After the virtual race, then you can go to more of a traditional 70.3/Half plan to get ready for Al's stuff.

What do you think?

~ Coach P

• Options

Yup makes sense and sounds good @Coach Patrick ... after UM recovery wk, are you thinking using one of the 10K plans? If so, can we also supplement with rides & swims?

• Options

yes, we could load up the last few weeks of the intermediate or advanced 10K plan to end on your event date. I can help if you let me know what the date is. Then we would "balance "it to make sure it's not just a run only. This can be a little more challenging just because of the work being done for the 10K plan. But once we determine the date and get a baseline plan and it's easy for me to update the rest around it...

Fire it up and let me know to get in there...or tell me if you need help!

~ Coach P

• Options

OK @Coach Patrick here's what I've loaded up:

• 10K plan to end on July 12th, starting June 8 (final 5 wks of the plan)
    • HIM plan to end on Aug. 30th, starting July 13th (final 7 wks of the plan)
    • Moved the first 5 wks of HIM plan Bike wko's to overlay the 5 wks of the 10K plan (starting 6/8 wk)
    • Overlayed 12 wks of Strength Training Core wko's ... also starting 6/8 wk

... the HIM Bike Plans may be a bit aggressive for first 5 wks given the 10K plan so plan to use "good judgement" to dial-back as necessary

Am sure will get in some swims in June as well but, given the Run & Bike wko's, will likely use those as mostly recovery.

What do you think?

• Options

@Rory Gumina thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I love what you structured and taking a look at it I see two potential problems which I've highlighted in the image below.

First issue is on Wednesdays where you have a decent run 7 miles with also a high-quality bike session. My solution to this, if you want to keep it this way, just to make sure that your Tuesday Runner is Done early. Show me the heat may require that you do this, but at the very least we could separate the early morning hard run on Tuesday with an early morning easier run on Wednesday. That easy run with effectively be your "warm up" for the quality bike later in the day.

The second issue is on Sundays where we have an AVP ride in the long run. My guess is that by the time you hit the end of the week your ability to execute both successfully, especially after Saturday, will be compromised. I would suggest you instead prioritize one session over the other.

In other words, an odd weeks you could make sure that the bike was really quality and that you ran easily off of it for about an hour. And the even weeks, you would drop the intensity of the bike ride down to the zone two and keep it really easy. Then you would run off a bit aiming for a quality run for the full time listed.

This isn't to say you can't do it, but that doing it isn't likely to help you!

~ Coach P

• Options

Thx for your feedback @Coach Patrick ! Will build in both suggestions ... in fact this wknd was good evidence of what you pointed out ... focused on Sat. long run w/couple mile intervals, and Sun. two Zwift group wko's.

Also, am intrigued by BYBB Camp! ... just registered! Thx Coach!

• Options

@Rory Gumina - So pumped to have you in BYBB!! I got your rankings too, putting here for record keeping. Thanks for all the positive mojo around our events. Virtual can be awesome too!!!

Rankings are as follows:

- Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 2

- Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 3

- Run Fitness vs Last Month: 3

- Body Comp vs Last Month: 1

Next month's focus: 10K run time trial July 11 ish

Extra help request: love all the communication & new ideas for our current virtual racing world ... keep it up!

• Options

Instead of 3x1mi intervals yesterday I did 7x400 to push power and pace up a bit ... was first time in 9 months for short intervals and they felt very difficult (WAY out of practice) ... am thinking it would be good to swap some shorter HIIT wko's in for the longer intervals to push Power and Pace to highest levels. Wondering what you think about that @Coach Patrick ?

• Options

I'm OK with it as long as it matches the total amount of work you were going to do on the date anyway. That and the environment and what you were doing the intervals is safe, on a track for example. I don't want you doing those super fast intervals on hilly terrain or trails or even sidewalks with lots of driveway dips.

Also please make sure you are warmed up before hitting those sessions all out. You really only need one of those sessions a week to have an impact, so don't get carried away. You can certainly keep those up for an hour at least until we hit the buy camp timeframe and we can discuss further from there.

~ Coach P

• Options

Hey @Coach Patrick ! Just a quick update ... BYBB starting July 6th week, and July 4th Holiday wknd led me to change the target date for 10K Run TT to July 1 ... and altered wko's accordingly ... so all was good.

However ... after searching for years Janet finally found and adopted a dog this past Tuesday ... Yayyyy!!! ... but has wreaked havoc on my Training and TT plans this week ... soooo

Am going back to original target of July 11th (ish) for TT. Will concentrate on BYBB testing thru Wed. (with no or short/easy running), then "tune up" for TT Fri, Sat, or Sun ... and may need to drop down from 10K ... to 5K or Mile ... in any event (see what I did there) will stay in touch.

Really looking forward to BYBB!!!

• Options

@Rory Gumina I am going to need tons of adorable puppy pictures in order to give you permission to delay the 10K race like that! I think your plan will work just fine with the camp. We have two test workouts but the rest of the week isn’t that hard which would allow you to do a tape a ride before you did the time trial if needed.

• Options

Hey there! Finally got back in here thx to MS Edge (not sure what's up with Chrome) ... here are some updates (also shared some of this today via email reply to your monthly inquiry, which was nice since I couldn't access the forums)

• Enjoyed the hell out of BB Camp, and am continuing to see improvements!
    • Per my BB Camp final report am incorporating/substituting VO2Max wko's for my HIM plan weekday rides but keeping long wknd rides
    • Plan to execute DIY Tri sometime during the target week with specific day pending lake conditions ... RR's to-date combine to sub 5:30 ... Race Plan tbd
    • Post DIY Tri will continue balance of 12-wk BB Camp VO2Max wko's ... would like to continue swim & run regularly, but not sure if any "structured" wko's are required ... what do you think?
    • Nov OS ... continue to build bike fitness and maintain running ... plus occasional dip in pool 😉😎
    • 2021: main goal is to BQ at Buffalo (end of May) ... but would also like to find IM in early to mid April (thinking here is 1. to get back to IM racing, and 2. IMLP 2018 training seemed to set me up well for Erie Mary that occurred 7 wks later, so am thinking could leverage similarly)

Let me know what you think when you have a chance ... thx @Coach Patrick !!!

• Options
    edited August 17, 2020 2:08PM

@Rory Gumina thanks for being so persistent and finding your way back in here to the forums. I swear I continue to work on getting this sorted out. Always amazing to me how the things that seem the simplest are actually the hardest to implement from a technology perspective!

overall I think you’re in a great place and have settled in on a really appropriate methodology for you. Here are my thoughts:

after the DIY triathlon, I would like to see you maintain about 15 to 20 miles a week running. That could be 3 to 45 mile runs. Nothing crazy, just consistency. Swim once a week for sanity. I’d really like to see what you’re capable of doing on the bike, so save room to do longer, fun, epic weekends when time and weather are in sync.

in terms of next year, I like the idea of the Iron Man build into the marathon. But they don’t have to be mandatory to create the success you had in the past. You’re disciplined enough that we could find an intermediate race or alternate opportunity as a target that would benefit you in your running build. Ironman is great precisely because it gets you to do so much volume.

The trick about Iron Man is simply we don’t know what it’s going to look like next year. While odds are the marathon will be able to happen, I’m still not confident about Ironman itself. I also don’t know what your van with this for signing up and then waiting on insurance. Good news is we don’t really need to decide this until January at the earliest.

onwards!!

ps here is your check in update:

Rankings are as follows:

• Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 2
    • Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 3
    • Run Fitness vs Last Month: 2
    • Body Comp vs Last Month: 2
    • Next month's focus: DIY Tri, then completing balance of 12 wks Best Bike Camp wkos to raise VO2Max
    • Extra help request: Would have put this in my Micro but couldn't access.  Early (& hopeful!) thinking for 2021 is Spring Ironman (April ish), then Buffalo Mary at the end of May with BQ goal ... guessing Nov OS after some downtime following end of BYBB camp focus
  • Options

@Coach Patrick I have updated Final Surge to map in my Best Bike Camp wko's post-DIY Tri as follows:

• I loaded up the Tri-Focused, Bike Focused Plan (Aug. 31 start) cuz it seemed to have the right mix & timing (during the wk) of Bike and Run days
    • Then swapped in my Block 2 VO2 Efforts at Volume for 4 weeks ... am thinking could swap CNC in for FatMax Sunday rides every other week, unless I feel too fatigued ... sound ok?
    • Then swapped in my Block 3 Extended VO2 work with "stacked" sessions for 4 weeks
    • Bike sessions end Oct. 25th so ideally I could re-test Oct. 26th week ... is that doable, and if so where would I sign up?
    • Will manage the run wko's to limit to 15-20mi/wk per your guidance above ... OWS swims will be easy till lake becomes unswimmable, then one hard swim a week

Let me know what you think when you get the chance ... thx Coach!

PS - My DIY Tri effort looking now like it'll be Wed. Aug. 26 given weather, lake, schedule ... should be a Blast!!!

• Options

@Rory Gumina - I got your Check-In update, and have pasted it below. This is part of our monthly process to stay connected, so thanks for filling it out!

I like how you rank swim fitness low but you are faster than most of us! 🤣 Time and place for that, my friend.

I really like your progress on the bike and believe it will bode well moving forward for your total gains. Never enough bike strength! 💪

As for CoachEN, you'll get out of it what you put into it. If you are down, then Oct is a great time to kick off to go through the OS together. If you've got the plan and the 🔥 we can make it happen! Set up a call in Oct with me here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/30min

Rory R Gumina is following the Bike Focus Block, 2019 (6wks).

His Rankings are as follows:

- Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 1

- Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 3

- Run Fitness vs Last Month: 2

- Body Comp vs Last Month: 2

Next month's focus: Finish Best Bike Camp wkos, then retest

Extra help request: Let me know if you think the CoachEN membership level would be useful for me

• Options

Hey @Coach Patrick ! Thx for your comments! My riding seems to be improving which seems like great validation for the Best Bike Camp learnings! ... but as you said "never enough bike strength".

I have scheduled a call for us to talk about 2021 and Coach EN ... so I'm looking fwd to that!

Since DIY Tri my run and swim have tapered and I've just been focusing on biking ... just needed some downtime (physical and mental) from training ... am now ready to ramp up to Nov OS.

As prep for our call, for 2021 I'm considering IM Tulsa in May and an open Marathon at the end of summer (looking for BQ) ... perhaps HIM prior to Tulsa as "tune up" ... and maybe HIM Geneva (Musselman) in July as "revenge" for first ever HIM performance (6:25ish) ... all of which of course COVID-dependent.

Talk with you soon!

• Options

@Rory Gumina sounds great! I am looking forward to the call...planning is my favorite thing! 🤣This is what I see...we can discuss. Chat soon...

• Half TBD
    • IM Tulsa in May
    • Revenge on Musselman
    • BQ Run