Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Sheila Leard Official Coach Thread

Comments

• Options
    Ok. It also might be easier if we just set up a call. Normally that’s a consult fee, but given everything you’ve done for the team I’m more than happy to waive that. Let me know, and I’ll message you the link using those email replies.
  • Options
    I probably haven't done a good job keeping you updated in one place. A 15 minute call would be very helpful and I'm grateful for your time. I want to be sure I'm following the EN way for IM. 
    I'll look for your message.
  • Options
    OK @Coach Patrick  I will do a better job of checking in. I bet you are buried and have jet lag. Mallorca must have been a break-through fitness week for everyone. Very cool.

I'm not really concerned about Oceanside. It wasn't an important race for me and besides many things happened that were out of my control, starting with a cold swim. Thermoregulation as I've aged is touchy.

I have a new Cervelo P3. Getting use to the Di2 synchro shifting and 165 cranks. My first long ride ( 5 hours) on the road was way under my goal watts. I believe it was a combination of first long ride outdoors, new bike, new cranks and 48 hours post anesthesia for a medical thing. Moving on.

I'm now in week 14 of the Full Plan for IMBoulder.

Next week #15 is camp week. I'm a bit nervous that I might dig a big hole if I execute as written. I can try. I don't want to short change myself. Should I give it a go?

Week #16. That weekend is IMSR and I want to go and support Team members,  clients and some friends. I'm thinking I can move Saturday's B/R to Thursday, Sunday to Friday and run long in SR. Does that sound good?

Week #17. The three hour run ... should that be a split run?

I think I'm dialed in. I will adjust as needed. Recovery will be critical. This block of volume challenges me to eat enough. I can get behind and suffer because of it. Sometimes eating becomes a real PIA.   :dizzy:
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2018 1:47PM
    HI @Coach Patrick I'm not sure how much weight  should put on my rolling CTL and FORM.  I accumulated some fatigue this week. CTL 100 and FORM -52.

I was hoping to have run volume up by now, but for various reasons I'm not there.

What kind of weekly TSS should I be looking for in bike and run? I want to be careful to not get behind or too far ahead as I build into June 10 IM.

Going forward on run build. I think my knee will be OK. I had a series of three synvisc shots in January and will be getting a second cortisone shot this week. 

How does this look?
    4/23  =23 miles
    4/30 = 25
    5/7 = 27
    5/14 = 29
    5/28 taper

Thank you .....  :)
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick  Just looking ahead and need some clarification for planning. 

Thank you. 
  • Options
    @Sheila Leard - Sorry for the delay, too many camps and travel right now. I know you been getting great advice from the team in the forms: I think your basic run progression works. I’m not so much worried about your long run volume as I am about frequency. You can even continue to run a short run daily during your taper as needed.

The biggest separation factor between your could and should performances is how well you execute your nutrition. That is your expertise, so leverage it to make your day be the best it can possibly be.

By now I hope you have adjusted to your P3. It is such a phenomenal bicycle that hopefully you feel rocksolid on it and the concern about new 165 cranks are a thing of the past.

Let me know how I can help you during your taper!
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2018 1:52PM
    Hi @Coach Patrick

It's been two weeks since IM Boulder. Normally I would still have an Ironman hangover but instead I'm ready to party! :)

I've done three 4-6 mile easy runs, taught five spin classes, one OWS 2300 yds. Sleeping is good. I feel a few little niggles  but nothing that doesn't go away with some stretching.

Here's my question.
    Santa Rosa 70.3 is in five weeks. I live two hours away and know the course. Before I sign up I want to run it by you for an objective opinion.

If it's a bad idea ... then  so be it. There are plenty of local short races I can do.  Santa Rosa is competitive in my AG so I have to get my head around that and have realistic expectations. Big races are more fun. Local races are fun but not as competitive.

I just want to race. My goal in this 6th decade is to slow the slow that I know is inevitable. 

• Options
     Thank you for being so patient after your race. Given your veteran status on the team, I will overlook those runs you snuck in. :-)

I say that you race the way you want to. There are two things we need to do here. The first is this an expectation, the second is to figure out how to get you ready for them. Can you give me some idea of what you would like to see in a best case scenario? 

We can go from there!
  • Options

Hi @Coach Patrick ☺️

I am finally structurally healthy enough to commit to a season plan. When you get to it, this is a PMC that goes with it.

• Options

@Sheila Leard

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Sheila, I am glad to hear that you are continuing your journey back, and I applaud your commitment. It's never easy when our body is pushing back; I love how you are seeking opportunities and not problems! 👍

I think the best bet is to have you on the Bike Focused plan now through Mallorca (duh!) and then transition you to the remaining Half workouts into Beastman. We will likely need to modify the Bike Focus plan to accommodate your running and self care program, so let me know how you want to proceed.

I can see there are some workouts in there now, so I don't want to mess-up what you already have. Let me know how you want to proceed and yes, let's get a call on the books! https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

Your Races

• 4/13/19 to 4/20/19 Mallorca Camp + Vacation
    • 06/29/2019 Beastman 72.3 (odd distance)

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• Last updated by Coach on 03/15/2019
    • On 3/18/2019 Load the    Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 4/28/2019
    • On 4/22/2019 Load the    EN Half Bike Focused  to end on 06/30/2019
    • On 7/1/2019  Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 7/14/2019</p>

Your Notes

I have a PDF that summarizes my last three years. We may need to chat for 15 minutes to get going again. I'll make sure FS is updated.I figure it's about time I submit a plan to get some guidance. Moving forward.

Since Sept 2018 I have been dealing with low back pain that originates deep in the pelvis that was broken a few times. It's getting better. I have a great PT and we're working on training new neuro-muscular patterns. For awhile it was keeping me from doing anything intense without paying for it. I started and stopped the Nov OS and Jan OS.

So far I have committed to one non-WTC Half Iron, The Beastman in Oregon in June. I would like to target an "A" race late season IM that is somewhere different. This will all depend on how healthy and strong I can get the second half of the year. I'm craving the reward of executing some good races. I age up next year, so racing at the top of my AG is tough to be competitive, but, why not try.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Thanks @Coach Patrick

I loaded the last part of the Bike Focus plan and will manipulate the sequence of workout days.

I'm adding swimming to help with my back and core muscles.

Most of my self-care routine is at home with bands and free weights. It's convenient and it's working.

Hope to talk soon. Thank you!

• Options

Sounds good! Let me know if you want me to look at how you arrange things in FinalSurge. Have a great week.

• Options

Hi @Coach Patrick I submitted another year plan because my race schedule has change again.

I've had a lot of start and stops since November due to back pain. I had more x rays and have been cleared to train knowing that I'm not doing damage. I don't want to go into specifics here but as long as I stay on my body care I believe I can manage the build to my A race which I just signed up for, IM Louisville! Excited 😊

To start with I can manage:

Swim - 3 x week. I live a .5 mile from a Lake and can do OWS all summer.

Bike - just have to work around spin class on Wednesdays. Even though I am teaching I believe I'm getting neuromuscular training. It's not VO2 work but more in line with sub-threshold training. I think the bike is where I should really focus., maybe a big bike week or two?

Run - can handle 4 x / week at this point and try to keep it at 18-20 mi.

My Final Surge data is a blank in March and April because I accidentally deleted it. I have everything in TP.

Thank you Coach.

• Options

@Sheila Leard can you send me your TP .com credential? I think maybe you check “do not process” box to update the database as the form didn’t come to me. I can do Louisville for sure.

Before we load up plans can you detail what sort of constraints do you have? Run every other day? Strength training requirements? Day off each week?

Let me know and I’ll get to work!

• Options

@Coach Patrick Apologies for the extra steps. I re-submitted the form. Let me know if it doesn't come thru and I'll put the details here. I was able import all my lost Final Surge data from TP, so FS is good to go.

In summary:

• I've been able to keep a low level of fitness as I work thru my back stuff.  Swimming 2-3 x week
    • Cycling 3-4 x week (one spin class that I teach) I've done two 70 milers with no hip or back pain.
    • Running 3-4 times a week, 15-20 mile/wk
    • Strength training is on going. I have a routine at home and gym
    • My limiters are running. My goal is to build to 25-32 miles/wk for IM in October. Short frequent runs and split runs should be OK.
    • My challenges are swimming. Feel weak with no power. Working on it.
    • Cycling - FTP is down. I need to do some road testing and dial zones in.
    • A race - IM Louisville 😎
    • B race - Santa Rosa 70.3

I would like to race two local Olympic Tri's in July and August for race practice. If it's too much I'll scratch it.

• Options

@Sheila Leard - I think you are in a pretty good place right now Sheila. The PMC looks decent, despite your situation. The goal is to build over time to LOU, with a short term goal to get you to SR70.3 ready to race. I think your S/B/R totals are improving and will get better. Goals around the run would be to get to 20mp by end of June…24mpw by end of July, 28mpw by end of August…you can take a rest week every third week and really drop the run down to 10 or 12 miles. 

I dropped the final few weeks of the Half Bike Focused plan into your FS account and modified the runs a bit in addition to moving a few more workouts around. I think we need to be careful not to ramp too much; if my "long run targets" are too much, then can you do them as run walk? Run a mile, walk 2 minutes, repeat? Goal is to build up the time on the feet to get you ready. 

Once you are through SR we can re adjust how does that sound?

• Options

Thanks @Coach Patrick

I'm 100% committed to my body work so I feel optimistic that I can build to an A race in 4 months.

In FS it appears you have SR 70.3 on July 14th. It's actually July 27th. Does that change the plan a bit?

I'll need that extra two weeks to prep.😃

• Options

@Sheila Leard ok, sounds good! I have fixed the IMSR data, must have been a hold over from another time? Check it out... Even added notes on the Body Work for Tuesdays and Thursdays!

• Options

Hi @Coach Patrick !!

Santa Rosa 70.3 was a good benchmark for where I'm at. Swim and bike felt good, run was what I expected.

I haven't raced in awhile so the the mental anxiousness was a bit high. Going into the race my longest run was 8.5. I've been in PT for 6 weeks for the SI-J stuff. Latest x-rays show osteo-arthritis in lower lumbar. The Ortho said stay on the strength exercises and build up the run slowly. Pain will be my guide.

Here is some SR 70.3 feedback. Moving forward.

Swim - Felt comfortable. Feel I can build swim fitness without problems. I am not a powerful swimmer and willing to accept the splits.

Bike - Time 3:01, TSS 182, IF .78, VI .83 According to the chart it looks like I set myself up for a good run. Did I interpret this correctly? I felt very comfortable on the bike despite the hideous road conditions. Very unsafe and crashes and bottles everywhere.

HR was steady but did drift up towards the end. Doused myself with water before getting off the bike.

Run - Time 2:33, TSS 160, IF .79, VI 1.04 I knew i had to get my HR down from 150 to 145-148. I went SLOW and was wet. In the first 5 miles I knew I did not have run fitness. HR was creeping up. The heat was manageable. Towards the end I quit trying to manage HR with ice and walk breaks and finished. Did not feel good. Longest run this year.

So this brings me to IMLV. I took it easy this last week and feel ready to go. However, next week is a short week of training since I'm going to Leadville on Sherpa duty Thursday - Sunday. Two travel days. There will only be one day that I could do a run.

Starting August 12th will be nine weeks out from IMLV. There is a camp week 4 weeks in. My goal is to build run weekly run mileage to achieve 30/week. I'm going to move FS wko's to different days to accommodate my schedule.

My biggest question is the run. Hopefully the HR issue was a fitness issue. Beside split runs, strength training, run frequency what else should I do? More bike volume?

With only nine weeks I'm realistic. In the past I have found that sometimes I will hit a low point with running and then it just takes off. What if I did a run focused block with less biking so my legs are fresh?

Thank you for your insights Obi-Wan. :)

• Options

@Sheila Leard going back-and-forth with your health, I have forgotten that you were still going to do this race! So impressed with your ability to execute and manage all of the nuances to be successful in the day.

Lots of good information and lessons are in there. I have you 100%: I’m not worried about the swim and I’m confident that you will be able to build up the fitness there to be successful from Louisville. The bike is also very promising as well, as there is speed to be had it in open and longer of course… Especially with less trash on the road!

The drifting heart rate at the end of the bike ride does not concern me. That’s just the effect of riding at that level of intensity. I think your VI is off somehow, as the lowest it could possibly go is 1.0. Maybe you could take another look at that?

The real fresh point here is the run. I’m impressed that you were able to do, and I fully appreciate how difficult it was giving your training. That said, it is still very encouraging just how strong you were on that minimal volume.

I say minimal volume because I think that is going to be our approach for Louisville. We need to start with the most fundamental building blocks first, and then we can attempt to reach one targets that are more associated with performance then run durability.

The first level is to get you up to running 26 miles in a week. If you can run 26 miles in a week, but you absolutely can cover 26 miles on the big day. So don’t get too obsessed about 30 miles, but let’s do our best to get you up to 26. Ideally this is achieved on six days of running with one day having zero running whatsoever.

If we can hit the target, the next step will be to have two medium distance runs during your week. One is a standalone run session midweek, the other has hey Breck run of similar distance off of a Sunday bike I can be either steady or ABP.

Once we’ve hit a few weeks of two medium runs, we can consider shuffling the runs around such that a long run. This should be approximately 50% of your established weekly mileage. This last one is a bit of a stretch, and would be the best case scenario.

Right now I’m not worried about you being at Leadville and having that interrupt your training. My guess is you’re more fatigued and you probably appreciate it. So doing some easy running and plenty of coarse strength and flexibility will be a nice way to keep things rolling before you come home. Besides all that altitude will have benefits.

How does all of that sound?

• Options

Thank you @Coach Patrick for such a quick response. I reported the bike Vi incorrectly. It was 1.13

I like the run goals. In summary::

1. Work towards 26 (maybe 30) miles a week with 6 days of running
    2. Next step. #2 medium distance runs for a few weeks. One is a stand alone run. The other is a brick off the ABP ride.
    3. Long run being half of weekly mileage

I am returning the HOKA Challenger X. I didn't mention it, but during the race I twisted my foot. The shoes are too wide. that didn't help 'sheet show run'. 😕

I'm ordering the HOKA Clifton 6 and the Rincons.

All good. I'll post my progress.

Thank You!

• Options

Time to check in. How are things going for you?

• Options
    edited August 20, 2019 8:51PM

@Coach Patrick well ... errr .... after not much training last week because of Leadville I was ready to build my running miles this week. Monday I was tired and work focused. Went on a run and 1 mile in rolled my weak ankle on a rock. So bummed. I'm panicking a bit about IM Oct 14. My PT did some electrical stim on it, ice and advil. Today it feels better. Tomorrow I'm going to jog/walk on the treadmill.

Today was supposed to be a split run :-( I swam 4000 instead :-)

The plan calls for:

Friday August 16th - Bike one hour

Sat - Challenge ride 4.5 / run

Sun - ABP

I'm thinking;

Friday - swim - bike one hour - treadmill 30 min

Sat. - Challenge ride 5 hours- run/ walk 30 min

Sun - ABP ride.

What do you think? I'm antsy.

Sunday night Aug 18 - Rehabbed ankle all week. Lost a week of running. I’d say it’s 85% healed. It will never be 100%. Missed Friday bike. Rode as best as I could Saturday. Went 5 hours instead of 4.5. ABP turned into more of a recovery ride with surges.

• Originally was going to do an Olympic or a Half in Tahoe next weekend, but the overhead may not be a good ROI.
    • Looking ahead at the bike wko's. There are max efforts and sweet spot sessions. I also have spin class on Wed. Where would I benefit most? Drop the sweet spot or max efforts?

I'm just adding to my original thread from las week.

Tuesday August 20th

Decided to get some miles in on road since I can't really run. No max efforts on the trainer from a stand still. Too much tork on my ankle.

Not sure how to move forward until I hear from you.

• Options
    edited August 21, 2019 11:57PM

. @Coach Patrick

Wednesday August 21 Could use some guidance to make use of the next 8 weeks with a sprained ankle. I'm 10 days out from the incident. Getting PT. It's improving.

Should I go for a big bike week? This is week 13 of the plan. Camp week is coming up. What if I did a Challenge ride instead of the Camp Rides

Do you want comments posted i FS?

• Options

@Sheila Leard Sorry for the delay in getting back to you; I am not sure how I missed your ankle injury, but I think your approach has been a smart one.

I want to balance the bike focus with your current ankle situation. We need to start rebuilding the run, and I think that will be more "costly" on it's own so the Max Efforts will be too much. I say SST is the way to go, and we can always re-insert Max Efforts as part of the taper if you are ankle healthy at the time.

I say this weekend should be a repeat of last week; long saturday session In the 4-5 hour range. You could do this on rolling terrain so you get some work in without over-stressing the ankle.

Sunday is a 60' spin into a 45' run (easy) in the AM. Then PM is a 30' run. I believe you can do this without more Dental work / meds 🤣, but if you don't feel good in the PM then don't do it.

Let me know how you feel Sunday night via text: (617) 513-3830

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick heading into week 15 and I am re-thinking the ROI of the Camp weekend for me. Think female master athlete. I honestly believe I will accumulate too much fatigue and it will hinder the last few weeks of training. I looked back at a successful IM that I had in 2015. Though it was 4 years ago I can see that I am behind on running averages. I'd be in good shape if I hadn't sprained my ankle. 😕

THEN

NOW

My thoughts on a Macro level to move forward:

• Move all long runs to during the week when legs are fresh
    • Monday or Tuesday one intense trainer ride
    • Wednesday teach hard spin class
    • Thursday - start doing progressively longer runs on week 15-18 1.5/30, 1:45/30, 2:00/30, 2:00/45
    • Friday one mid distance ride.
    • Saturday - keep long rides 6-6.5 hours. No long back to back rides
    • Sunday - short run and maybe swim or day OFF
    • Will add short runs to accumulate 25 miles / week
    • Swimming most likely M-W-F

My two hour run today started out really good, but by mile 7 my ankle was tightening up and form was becoming compromised. Legs were fatigued from Saturday long ride. Plus - my gut got funky because I ate so much yesterday. So hungry! 🐷

Continuing with body work. Back feels better.

Mahalo 🌴

• Options

@Sheila Leard Those modifications sound good. Priority are run frequency and building the run given the proximity to race day .

I have modified your Final Surge workouts to reflect The run changes you mentioned. Please continue Using the great bike nutrition so you can run well on the big day.

Please check in with me this time next week so we can get you on track!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick Moving forward I feel like it's time to put more emphasis on my run training. I'm finally healing my ankle properly and should be able to get going in a few weeks.

My 2020 race plan may need to change.

I'm signed up for IM ST George, but feel that doing three IM's: LOU, St George, Kona, in a span of a year is not smart if I want to be a lifelong athlete and not just produce mediocre results. I may defer St George to Santa Rosa 70.3 in May with a goal to test my running. My goal is to improve my peripheral fatigue that sets in 70.3 and Full IM's.

I'm not sure which plan to start on.

Should I do the 2019 OutSeason® for Triathletes, Run Focused, All Abilities, 14 Weeks or the Durability for Triathletes - Phase 1,2,3.

I will continue to swim and absolutely do strength training.

Thank you.

• Options

I think part of the process is making sure that you continue to run and see if SurfaceI think part of the process is making sure that you continue to run on C services.We have to find a way for you to be adventurous without jeopardizing that ankle.I'm all about you going hiking on adventurous servicesNot sure I'm sold on the running part right now.The cost is too highFor missed timeI think part of the process is making sure that you continue to run on safe surfaces. We have to find a way for you to be adventurous without jeopardizing that ankle. I’m all about you going hiking on adventurous surfaces but not sure I’m sold on the running part right now. The cost is too high for missed time.

I really like the idea of addressing the peripheral fatigue problem;I recommend that youJoin team "wait for it" And do the durability program this fall. We can create a basic week for you that incorporates the strengthens from trainingTo Leah great foundation. Remember, you had a pretty big year… And a long one at that!

• Options

@Coach Patrick Update - it's been three months since checking in.

I finally got some direction from my Orthopedic on what I'm dealing with concerning my ankle. The MRI in simple terms shows an osteochondral lesion on the talar bone (front of ankle), lateral ligament injuries and some bone edema. I have a very unstable ankle.

I was given an ankle brace to wear when running. I tried three very short and slow runs and the pain was a 2.; very encouraging. I need to stay off the trails and run on predictable surfaces. Up to now my running has been hike/walks with my dog, Sylvie.

My other issue that I am continuing to monitor is the osteoarthritis in my lower back. This is degenerative wear and age. I've accepted these body limiters and how to work with it instead of resignation.

My body care consists of 1-2 sessions in the gym with heavy weights and a conditioning program at home.

Moving forward. I updated my races for 2020.

• May 30th Hawaii 70.3. Last minute add. Going with a friend who has cancer.
    • August 1st Boulder 70.3, first crack at qualifying for Worlds 70.3 2021 in St George.
    • Oct 10th Kona. I'm excited to race as a real OF!! 🤤

My thoughts on my training plan is to get in 8 weeks of OS training and move into 8 weeks of half-iron training for Hawaii 70.3. Recover and another 8 wks of half-iron training for Boulder 70.3. Recover and do my best to train for Kona.

• Swim - 2-3 x week, makes up for what I can't do on the run. I've been swimming and it helps my back.
    • Bike - 4 x week, 2 intensity sessions, the rest as on the plan
    • Run - slowly build up to 15-18 mi/week, all comfortable nothing intense.
    • I have some Challenge long rides already and planned.

What are your thoughts? Am I on track? It's time to put some structure into 2020 and cross my fingers I can stay consistent.

Thank you.