Homeβ€Ί Coaching Forum 🧒
Options

Sheila Leard Official Coach Thread

13Β»

Comments

• Options

@Coach Patrick Update on previous post from Jan 27.

I am 17 weeks out from Honu.

I got some help from the awesome and insightful @matt limbert and his thoughts are that I create a Hybrid plan of the OS and Half build. Do 10 of OS and 7 of the Half. This gives me 2 bike blocks in the OS. The OS is built on 2x 5 week blocks. 4 weeks workΒ + 1 test week. With 10 weeks OS I get 2 full bike work and test blocks. But, I miss the first challenge ride that is early in the Half build.

I'm not concerned about the Challenge rides because I have 3 Metric Centuries planned for April 4 and 18 and May18th. I see this as a good supplement for the big picture.

I'm more concerned about managing my ankle and split runs in the half build. Matt thought I could modify the split runs with bricks.

I'm already swimming at least 2 /week and will continue that in OS and Half Build. The order of workouts will be moved around to fit my schedule. I still teach a Wednesday spin class on bikes with PM. It's not the same but I do feel I get a strong neuromuscular stimulus from these classes. I can upload a .fitfile for more accuracy. I normally just do averages.

Thoughts on when to transition from OS to Half Plan?

Thank you.

• Options

Thank you for the update. I like the overall progression. I think that having the majority of your season at half Iron Man intensity is perfect.

Of course, we will need to listen to your body and make sure that you have rest when you need it.

Would you like me to go ahead and load the plans for that season? What do you think?

Also, what would you consider an acceptable level for an increase of running each week? There's the old 10% rule, but I think you have rules that are more relevant now. 🀣 Let me know.

~ Coach P

• Options

Thanks @Coach Patrick

The plans are loaded with the gracious help of @matt limbert πŸ‘οΈ

I plan to run about 4 x week @3-4 miles. If my ankle is holding up then add a 5th day. After that, make one day progressively longer. I may get a PRP shot and will continue wearing my brace. First goal is to get to 20/week.

I hope we can talk in early March about when to transition out of OS to Half Plans and what to do with the split runs.

Enjoy the weekend - ⛷️

• Options

@Sheila Leard - and that sounds perfect. I would even take just for 3 mile runs a week to start off with. To be honest, it doesn't even matter what the distances, just that you were doing those four days of running. As crazy as it sounds, even 20 minutes of movement on the ankle with one mile of total running in there would be okay.

I'm not trying to dial you back, just trying to make you aware that even shorter runs, done consistently, can be useful as we build up your durability.

I think the biggest changes for you are understanding what is a safe space for you to run and focusing on creating a sustainable routine of running irrespective of distance or speed.

I know we can do this!

~ Coach P

• Options

The above charts is data from IM LOU last October. Trying to conservatively build the run and be better at bike mileage.

@Coach Patrick this is where I'm at. We're scheduled to talk Thursday March 5th.

I'm in a hybrid OS. It's a bit disorganized because of the injured ankle. When I look at the OS plan I get frustrated because I know I can't comply, which doesn't bode well with my personality.

Two bike intensities along with teaching a hard spin class puts me in the hole.

As for the run, I just started jogging more than walking without my brace. I'm hopeful this will continue. I haven't ruled out PRP injections.

I'm swimming 2-3 x week which helps with recovery even though I'm doing intervals.

I have Hawaii 70.3 in 12 weeks. I feel like I should move into that plan. I'm modifying the OS so much it's not even recognizable. We're having 65-75 temps. I've been riding outside on my road bike. That bike makes makes me work a little harder. The Challenge rides on the scheduled are very doable. There are some metric centuries that I can join and be a roadie for the day. As I get closer to specificity I'll get back on my Cervelo P3.

This schedule usually works for me. I'd like feedback on split runs and Challenge Rides.

Monday - Easy Bike/Swim

Tuesday - Run/Strength

Wednesday - Bike-Spin Class/Swim

Thursday - Run long/Strength

Friday - Hard Bike/Swim

Saturday - Bike long/short run

Sunday - Bike short/ short run (sometimes a makeup swim)

Mahalo 🌺

• Options

@Sheila Leard Done...great call...thanks for sharing out and helping me help you a bit better. More changes to come, but I believe the next few weeks should be on point! Minimalist half through 5/30 for Kona 70.3 Locked and Loaded. πŸ’ͺ

• Options

Hey @Coach Patrick Just a little check in.

I took your suggestion to be a roadie for a little micro block. The timing is great. I loaded my hamstrings a bit too much in my garage gym, so I needed to pull back on running. Last week I did the VR4 Sprint distance Tri but held back on the run. It was fun but I knew I needed to not run for a week to get the niggle behind me.

I made my micro block of biking with a goal of doubling the distance of what my weekly averages has been. The goal was 200 miles most of it in Zone 2. I did a combo of Zwift, Road bike and Tri bike.

The summary:

• It's hard to stay in Z2 for watts/ HR on Zwift. Too tempting to surge and sprint. Besides Z2 in Zwift is no fun.
    • My road bike is like driving a Volkswagen. It's work! I did 50 miles on it and had some serious leg fatigue. And, I don't have watts on my Felt.
    • Staying in Z2 takes a conscience effort to hold back on hills and when guys pass me to not take the bait and go with them. But I was good and enjoyed being able to sing and look around at all the spring babies πŸπŸ΄πŸ„
    • TSS this week is 716 from pure low intensity volume. I've been averaging 600-650. I don't feel wiped out at all. Such a difference in the way TSS is acquired.
    • Next week I'm going to add some runs back in and OWS is happening.
    • The roads and weather are very welcoming. Thoroughly enjoyed just riding.πŸ€—(but I want a new road bike)
    • Total Miles 213. IF .65-70

Mahalo - Sheila

• Options

THANK YOU for sending along that picture! I love getting to see where other people ride. And massive kudos to you for sticking to the lower intensity. As you noted, how you earn TSS has a great deal to do with how much that TSS actually costs. I think you manage to strike the perfect balance between all the different types of cycling while still sticking to your overall goal which was to study riding. I am hopeful this will be a good foundation to build off of moving forward.

As you noted, it's time to start layering in those other workouts. The key here is to keep the intensity low on the run for the first two weeks. I need to run easier than you want to just to get used to the additional fatigue and the new rhythm of training.

Example, let's keep the runs this week to no more than 30 minutes and no more than four runs. Run wherever you want just keep it easy.

Yes, you have more individual specific fitness by sport. It's putting them all together in the right order that takes diligence. And lots of patience.

~ Coach P