Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

John Katsoudas Official Coach Thread

edited September 25, 2017 2:21PM in Coaching Forum 🧢

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here. 

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes.  So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your WHY and Goals

Coming soon...see homework below!

Your Notes

I'm 48 years old, and returning to triathlon after several years off.  I'm also coming off a running injury that I'm (hopefully) past but has limited my running recently.  I've been cycling about 5-6x/week for the last 8 weeks doing ~1-1.5 hr indoor trainer workouts focused on raising FTP.  I've been running pain-free for about 4 weeks now.  The main (only ) run focus has been getting out and running consistently.  I'm up to 4-5 short runs/wk (2.5 - 3 miles each).  I'm very interested in hearing more about run durability and how I build that into my outseason plan.  I'm a terrible swimmer, so I know you say not to swim in the out season but I think I can really benefit from some technique-focused work.  

I've used EN out season and season plans before and really like the 'fast before far' structure and methodology.  I've never been an EN team member so I'm very excited to see what that's all about.  My main goal for the coming season (2018) is IM 70.3 Coeur D'Alene.  I'll throw in some local sprint/oly races leading up to that and I may also throw in another late season 70.3 but Coeur D'Alene is the main focus.  I've also recently started using a Stryd power meter (just collecting data at the moment) so I'm interested to hear any insights you have on running with power.  Lastly, another focus area over the last couple of months has been body composition.  I've lost 14 pounds so far in the last 8 weeks and am aiming to lose another 10-12 pounds.

Your Races

• 06/24/2018 70.3 Coeur d’Alene

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 09/18/2017
  • Complete the Trial Testing Week, save your Bike and Run Zones to the My Zones Page.
  • On 9/18/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/15/2017
  • On 10/16/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/12/2017
  • On 11/13/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/10/2017
  • On 12/11/2017 Load the Beginner Run Focus Block to end on 1/21/2018
  • On 1/8/2018 Load the Beginner OutSeason / Run Durability Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018
  • On 3/5/2018 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 3/18/2018
  • On 3/19/2018 Load the Beginner EN*Half to end on 06/24/2018
  • On 6/25/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 7/8/2018
  • On 7/9/2018 Load the Intermediate Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 7/22/2018

Coach Notes

John, great to have you explore the team. I have outlined your season based off of 70.3® CDA, but I know you'll have other races. We can easily work those and by discussing them inside this form thread.

For right now I'm want you to take a look at the bullets under the training plan section above. I wanted to see that you have several weeks of good running in place. While you're getting overrun injury, establishing a good baseline will be important to lock in good form and build the requisite strength to handle the volume of next season. Beyond that I hope you'll be ready for a little bit more run intensity in December.

You will cut that plan short and jumped into the outfit and plan in January with the rest of the team. You'll do the first eight weeks of that plan, the hardest, dial in some rest (2 Weeks) and then load up the Half plan to get you through to your race.

All in all this is a very straightforward plan, and should proved to be very effective for you. You can always working more swimming is needed as there's room for it. We can discuss this outline in your general thoughts on our call this Tuesday!

Contact Points

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. You can schedule all calls with me for these times online here. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Coach Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your “gap” and Year Two (to be announced)

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website
We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / 0-- First 30 Days on EN.  If you have any trouble, don’t hesitate to reach out via the chat icon on the main Members website here.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

RACE EXECUTION and how we can help you get faster by being smarter on race day. There are no medals for great swims or getting to the top of a hill first — on race day only your finish time counts. There are many ways of being faster, and here are some of the resources we have to help you out.

- The Four Keys of Race Execution Video: The Coaches walk you through the macro level elements of a successful race.

- Distance Specific Guidance: Learn the fundamentals of racing Short Course and Long Course events, from each discipline to pacing zones, etc.

- Race Specific Pages: We have aggregated information on specific races from the internet, race reports and even our own coaching resources. You can find your race Master Racing Page section.  

- The Race Forums:  You can search for race reports or connect with your teammates. There are sections for 70.3, 140.6, and Marathons.

Your Homework

Tell Us Why You Choose EN & Your Season Goals

• Please reply below with WHY you chose Endurance Nation and WHY you train/compete.
  • Whenever possible, please identify your goals -- time, body composition, completion...the sooner you put them down the sooner we can get towards achieving them. 

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options
    Hi Coach Patrick,

Thanks for the information!  I'm sure that this will be like drinking from the firehose for a bit but I'm looking forward to it!  I have a ton of questions, but I'll start with answering my homework questions first:

- I chose EN for a few reasons.  First, I've used EN outseason and season HIM plans before so I'm familiar with the training structure and I like how the plans are structured and how they progress.  Secondly, I like the concept of 'run durability' and I think that this is exactly what I need at the moment as I come off a running injury.  Lastly, I like the 'community' approach and the vast amount of information that's openly shared within the EN community.  I'm very excited to jump in and learn.

- I'm coming off of more than one 'failed' attempt to get back into triathlon, over the last few years so my goals for this next season (now to July 2018) are fairly simple:  1) stay healthy, 2) enjoy the process and don't let the training become a 'monkey on my back', 3) find a good balance between training and personal/family life, 4) Finish Coeur D'Alene 70.3 and feel like I was prepared and executed a good race plan.  No time goals, per se... it's more about just making triathlon a healthy, balanced part of my life again, and enjoying the ride.

- My goals for the next season (July 2018 - July 2019) are (in addition to the above) to train for and complete an Ironman.  I'll be turning 50 in July 2019, so completing another IM is a nice longer-term goal. My last IM was Vineman in 2003, so it's been a while.

- Beyond that, we can talk about all sorts of crazy things like KQ but we'd be getting ahead of ourselves a bit. 

I have a bunch of questions about what you posted above, but I'll put those in a separate reply.
  • Options
    OK, you threw a ton of info at me above, so I'll throw a bunch of questions back at you  :)  We can talk through them in our call tomorrow if that's easier than replying to me here.

1) I went into my training plan page, and it looks like it will only let me load one plan at a time.  If I read the above correctly, you want me to load the post half iron transition plan and run durability 1 at the same time.  I'm not sure how to do that.

2) Is there a way to load the plans you've outlined above into an annual training plan, or do I need to finish one plan before loading another?

3) I'm currently running 4-5x/wk, so that lines up pretty well with where the run durability 1 plan begins.  I'm also cycling 6x/wk.  I don't see much cycling in the run durability plan.  What's your guidance on adding in additional cycling during the run durability phase?  Right now I'm doing >90% of my cycling indoors, and I'm in the middle of this training plan on Zwift:

https://whatsonzwift.com/workouts/4wk-ftp-booster

4) I've been reading the threads on Slowtwitch and here about the Vasa swim erg with interest, as one of my big limiters in swimming is muscular endurance.  I just made the decision and ordered a swim erg using the EN discount (thank you!).  I'm assuming it's OK to overlay some vasa work during the run durability phase?  Do you have any specific recommendations on training on the vasa in the out season?

5) I've been running with a Stryd power meter for the last few weeks, just collecting data and looking at it post-run.  Any thoughts on doing the Stryd-recommended power test and using power zones for the run?

6) I've been logging all my training for the last couple of months in Training Peaks.  Is it useful to you to have 'coach' access to my Training Peaks account?

7) Bike FTP testing:  (I think I know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway).  I haven't been doing any formal FTP testing in the last couple of months.  Instead, I do one 'unstructured' hard ride in Zwift per week, and let Training Peaks tell me what it thinks my new threshold is.  Is this a reliable surrogate for a formal FTP test or do you prefer actual testing?  (I'm guessing the latter).  If Training Peaks suggests an FTP increase between formal testing cycles, I'm assuming I should adjust my zones accordingly?  At least initially, as I work my way up from zero fitness, my FTP will hopefully be changing at a fairly rapid pace.  I've gone from 185W to 225W threshold (per Training Peaks) in the last 6 weeks.

A few scheduling things...

- I have a week in December that I'll be in Hawaii for a corporate function (Nov 27 - Dec 2).  I'll have access to the hotel gym during that time, but time will be a little constrained.  Any thoughts on how to approach that week?  Run focus?

- Is it OK to juggle workouts around during the week?  If a long ride works better on Thursday one week, is it OK to shift stuff around?  Any 'dos' and 'donts' when moving stuff around?

- I plan to throw in some local sprint/oly races before CDA.  These would be low priority.  I'm assuming I'd just throw these in instead of a long bike/run on that weekend.

- I may also target one more HIM after CDA.  Probably a local one like the Santa Cruz 70.3 if it's in September again in 2018.  I'm assuming we'll deal with that further on down the road.

OK, that's enough questions for now.  I'm sure I'll have 20 more by the time we talk tomorrow.

Thanks,
    John

• Options
    Hi Coach P.  I'm having a flare-up of the tendinitis in my left foot that had been causing me problems.  I ran pain-free through all of RDP1, but the 5K run test that I did at the start of RDP2 appears to have aggravated it.  I took Thursday and Friday off from running last week, and then ran 2 miles on Saturday and it felt OK during the run but was a little sore on yesterday.  I took yesterday off, and then tried to do the Sunday run today, and the foot is pretty sore right now. 

I called my podiatrist, and he thinks that the return to frequent running over the last month (6-7x/wk) may have been stressing the tendons, and then the high intensity run may have put things over the edge.  He recommended a week off from running, and then a slightly less aggressive return to running (i.e., no trying to maintain a streak).

I'm currently in week 2 of RDP2.  If I take the rest of this week off from running and replace with swim/bike/core (plus lots of icing), what's your guidance on where to pick up next week?  We also have an elliptical at home, so if it make sense I can replace some of the less critical workouts with elliptical workouts if that's helpful.

Thanks,
    John
  • Options
    John -  I agree on zero intensity. My thought would be alternating days of cycling and elliptical for the first week. Then the next week you can alternate elliptical with some walk run. Then by week three you should be running on alternate days and walking on the others or elliptical. Then you should be good. There’s a level of activity which is sustainable and one that is not, we just need to find that balance. For now do the right thing to rest and take care of yourself. Not sure if A night splint or boot helps you out, but I swear by those myself. 
  • Options
    Hi Coach P - just a quick note/update.  I took a week off from running, then one week of elliptical every other day, then tried to run/walk last Tuesday.  Pain was still very much there from the beginning of the run, and foot was pretty sore afterwards.  I've had 3 rounds of ART/Graston on the foot, which hasn't seemed to help much.  I saw my Podiatrist again on Friday and he's ordered an MRI which I've scheduled for this coming Wednesday.  So, for the moment I'm back to no running, and sticking to the Vasa/bike/elliptical.  

Given that I'm supposed to be in the middle of RDP2, I'm wondering if it makes sense to shift gears training plan-wise and perhaps do a bike focus block?  Right now I'm doing Zwift training plans of my own choosing.  Is there an EN bike focus block that you think makes sense to switch to for a bit until I'm able to run again?

Thanks,
    John
  • Options
    Quick follow-up to my previous message:  Got the MRI results back today.  Luckily there are no tears in the tendon, bu there's still a moderate amount of inflammation.  Doctor recommends no running or elliptical for two more weeks, then cautiously attempting to test it out after that.  I'd love your thoughts on how best to move forward based on this.

Thanks,
    John
  • Options
    @“John Katsoudas” -  thanks for the update and for your patience. You’ll have to tell me which tendon it is, as I’m curious. Interims of the 20 plan we don’t really have one that involves you “maintaining“ fitness in the winter without running. Here is what I suggest you do in the meantime:

M - Off / Crushwork / Self Care
    T - Zwift Intervals
    W - Swim or Walk + Strength
    T - Zwift Intervals
    F - Swim or Walk + Strength
    S - Zwift Endurance (1-2h)
    S - EN Zwift ABP (1-2h)

Let me know how that jives with the plan you have!
  • Options
    Thanks Coach P., and congratulations for IM Cabo!  

It's the Posterior Tibial tendon.  As I now know way more about this tendon than I'd like, apparently this is the tendon that supports the arch of the foot.  I have low arches, and apparently walking around barefoot and/or walking/running in shoes with improper arch support for a long time really aggravated this tendon (before joining EN).  Things got better for a while with some rest and some custom orthotics (and no more walking around barefoot in the house) but the increase in running frequency in RDP1, coupled with a few hard runs (5K test at the end of RDP1) really aggravated it again.  I haven't run in a few weeks now, and the MRI still showed a good amount of inflammation, so the Dr. is recommending a VERY cautious return once the inflammation goes away.  

I took last week almost completely off - not entirely by choice, as things were crazy around the house with a remodel we're doing but I took it as an opportunity to really rest the foot.  This week I'm going to re-introduce cycling, and I'm going to try to re-introduce elliptical next week depending on how it feels.  Then we'll go from there.

Your suggestion above is pretty close to what I've been doing - alternating days of Zwift with Vasa + core workouts.  I need to learn more about the EN Zwift ABP.  The plan I'm using in Zwift is this:

https://whatsonzwift.com/workouts/4wk-ftp-booster

...although, I don't do them in the timeframe shown in that plan.  I just do the next workout in the series on whichever day I'm planning to ride, so that "4 week" plan will take me longer than 4 weeks to complete (if that makes sense).  

All of this, of course, throws me way off the plan you had outlined initially but I think it's too early to revisit that right now.  I'd like to shoot for getting the foot healthy and then getting back to a structured EN plan by January, and then we can revisit whether the "Beginner OutSeason / Run Durability Plan" starting Jan 8 is still the right thing to jump into.  Let me know if you have any other ideas.

Thanks,
    John
  • Options
     Sorry to hear about the setback! That stinks, but learning how to manage your body is simply part of the process. I’m glad you were smart enough to rested and I hope your body responds well.

I think you and I are in sync with what we’re trying to do with Swift and your other training. Your general program sounds perfect.

I would keep the elliptical pretty short early on using it as an easy warm up for a cool down from a strength session. As with everything, it’s those first few days of reentry that matter most !!

How about we set some FTP goals for you?
  • Options
    OK, had another visit with the doctor today.  The foot is still sore, and doesn't seem to be getting any better.  He's been doing Shockwave treatment on the tendon 1-2x/week, and he explained that this is intentionally causing an inflammation response to promote healing so he's not surprised that the pain isn't going away just yet.  He's recommending one more treatment next week, and then we'll see how the foot starts to feel after that.  I"m going out of town for the week tomorrow, so I'll skip elliptical for one more week and stick to cycling in the hotel gym until I'm back in town next week.

So talk to me about FTP goals.  This coming week will be tricky to do any power-based training but I'm definitely game to have an interim goal to work (intelligently) toward while I'm sorting things out with my foot.  So far, since I started back to a regular training routine in July I've taken my FTP from ~180 to ~250, and my weight from 187 to 160 lbs, so W/Kg has increased pretty significantly.  My goal wish by race day would be 4 W/Kg @ FTP, which would be an FTP of 290W @ 160 lbs. or if I can drop a few more pounds (seems doable) 280W @ 155 lbs.  What are your thoughts?
  • Options
     Thanks for the update on the foot, I hope it is working out for you.

Well, we won days but it’s also important to celebrate what you have achieved. That is an incredible work!

My recommendation is that we break it into four chunks of 10 W each. One of your FTP sessions a week should be dedicated to writing at that specific number.

Then for your weekend ride, we want to spend time at 90% of that number, your sweet spot.

By targeting and come in again, you should be able to force a change without overloading you. Does that make sense? 
  • Options
    Hi Coach P.  Happy New Year!

OK, quick update.  The foot is pretty good - good enough I think I can cautiously start running on it.  I had been doing elliptical a few times a week on it, and it felt good enough that I was ready to start running on it last week but then I got laid out by a horrendous cold and was out of commission for 11 days (Ugh, well at least the foot got more rest).  Anyway, to make a long story short, I've recovered from the cold just in time to start the January outseason, so here's the question:  You had previously outlined a January Outseason with a run focus, and that made sense before this injury.  Given that I'm just getting back to running I'm wondering whether the run focus or the bike focus is the better answer.

Run focus - Pros: build some sorely needed run durability and fitness.  Con:  Risk of re-injury due to additional run volume (vs. bike focus)

Bike focus - pro:  Keep building my strength (bike) while easing back into running with a lower run volume/intensity.  Con:  Slower build in run fitness.

Maybe the 'Goldilocks' answer is to do the first x weeks of OS as 'bike focus' and if the foot is OK then switch to the 'run focus' OS plan.  I think the plan you outlined above only had me in OS for 8 weeks before transitioning to the HIM plan.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    John 
  • Options

You had me at Goldilocks!!! You recovery strategy (And easing back in) are huge...so the next piece is reintegrating slowly. I agree, Bike Focus for Phase One (weeks 1-5) then we can try and transition you to Run Focus.

Regardless, keep the run efforts very easy and light. Even doing the elliptical for a session or two could help alleviate some of the stress. 

Slow is smooth...smooth is fast!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    HI Coach P.  I have a quick question.  I seem to recall that when we spoke and when you wrote the original season plan in the first post in this thread, there was a 14 week Beginner HIM Plan that I would be transitioning to for the last 14 weeks leading up to 70.3 Coeur D'Alene.  When I went to update my training plan today, all I see is 12 and 20 week HIM plans.  Am I supposed to jump into week 6 of of the 20 week plan?

Thanks,
    John
  • Options
     John, has it been that long since we talked? Yes, when I released the new half iron plans for 2018, I removed the ability levels from the names and instead included ability level specific guidance in the main set of each workout.

So you will load up the bike focused half plan, and do the “L1” Main Set workouts for the beginner level dosage. This will allow you to  do beginner running workouts, for example, and intermediate (L2)  bike workouts without swapping the plan. This assumes that you will of course be improving across the plan. I hope that helps! 
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2018 8:27PM
    Hi Coach P.  Long time no talk!  I hope all's well with you.  After some travel/injury/illness setbacks last month, I've been on a pretty solid training block the last few weeks as I close in on Coeur D'Alene 70.3.

I was looking at next week's training plan (Week 15 of 20 in the 2018 HIM plan) and it's "Camp Week". This sounds important, and looks like a pretty busy week of training.  The only challenge is that I have a sprint tri that I was planning to do on that Sunday.  Any suggestions on how to structure the week so that I can race on Sunday?  I don't necessarily care about my finish time for the sprint tri. My main objective in doing the race is to test out some new gear (new wetsuit, new bike position, etc.) and have a run-through of transition logistics before the HIM, so I'm OK going into it without a rest and just treating is as another long workout.   Thoughts?

Thanks,
    John

• Options
    @“john katsoudas” -  Great to hear that you are back on track, that’s fantastic. Simply can’t beat those consistent weeks of training. Very excited for you.

You are right, camp week is meant to be that final dose of volume with just enough time for your body to absorb it for the race. Buell or Sprint triathlon on Sunday is not a problem we just have to plan accordingly.

You have a couple options. You could move that long ride from Saturday to Friday if a day off is in the cards which would allow you enough time to recover on Saturday it’s still race. Personally, I like the idea of you doing the swim and bike on Saturday on the flattest course possible and just for time Not intensity. Do a great job of hydrating if you leave during the work out it afterwards. Sunday morning lineup and do your sprint and then afterwards you can “warm down” with a nice steady run of another 5 to 7 miles depending how you feel. This way you’re done by mid morning on Sunday and you can put a big check in that box in terms of volume as well.

You may need to adjust the following week by giving yourself Monday after a cover, but that’s easily done. Let me know what you think!
  • Options
    Hi @Coach Patrick.  Just a quick follow-up and one more question for you...

First off, I wanted to extend a huge "Thank You" to you (and to the whole team) for the support over the last 10 months.  I shifted my schedule around and did the sprint tri last weekend, and had a fantastic time.  You can read about it here, if interested:  https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/24780/john-katsoudas-mhst-race-report-14-years-in-the-making#latest

That race was a HUGE confidence booster, and I'm totally pumped for CdA now. 

Quick question - I looked ahead through the remaining few weeks, and I don't see a bike test anywhere in there.  I feel like I've made some decent gains over the last 4-5 weeks so I'm wondering if it's worth doing a test before CdA.  The last two tests I've done I've used the TrainerRoad Ramp X test, which seems to be pretty accurate for me (as accurate as 95% of a 20 min effort) but a much lower recovery cost, so I'd like your thoughts on doing that test prior to race day, and if so, when?  For the run, I'm going to use the results from the sprint tri run leg to reset my power zones, so I don't think I want/need to do a run test.

Thanks again,
    John
  • Options
    John -  thank you for the kind words and for circling back with the team to let them know how much they help. You clearly are already a world-class teammates!

We typically don’t do bypass that close to the race because most people have fatigue that is suppressing their peak power. If you’d like to do a test to reaffirm where you’re at, then I recommend doing it 3 to 4 weeks out on a Tuesday after a Monday off so you have a chance to rest into the test. The other alternative is to just use some of the data from your long ride.

Speaking of long ride that  remind me of the run. We don’t really race Iron Man with power zones on the run, we recommend that you use heart rate instead. You can learn more under the race execution section of the resources tab.

But basically we want to know what your longride heart rate is so you can lock that in for the first 90 minutes of your race, and then we want to take the average heart rate from your bike ride and run the first 6 miles of the run at the heart rate. We are trying to stabilize your system is much is possible, and using heart rate allows us to do that versus chasing a power number when our body isn’t ready. 

I hope that makes sense, please let me know what questions you have after you do your homework! :-) 
  • Options
    Thanks @Coach Patrick .  I appreciate the insights.

Regarding bike power, As I think about it some more, I don't think I'll re-test after all mainly because I'm not sure what I'd do with revised numbers this close to race day.  I've been doing all my race sim rides at target power, and with only one race sim ride left before race day, I'm not keen on changing my target pace zones.  So, I'm going to leave bike power zones where they are, and if they're a bit understated it'll just mean I'm a little fresher off the bike on race day.  :)

Regarding the run, I wanted to see if I could pick your brain a tiny bit (I'll try to keep it brief).  Up to this point in the season, I've been pacing my training runs primarily with power, so I'm pretty comfortable with what the various power zones feel like.  I had read the race execution wiki before, but went back and re-read it after your message, and also listened to the podcast.  I TOTALLY get where you're coming from, as far as the need to ensure that the cardiovascular system is not being overtaxed at the start of the run.  I don't know if this is by coincidence, or if you're a genius at how the bike/run zones line up (I'm guessing the latter), but here's what I'm seeing when I compare my bike race simulation ride files with my long run files:

My last race sim bike ride was riding a BestBikeSplit model for 70.3 CdA in Zwift.  I capped 2 min. power at 90% of FTP, and set a target IF of 0.82.  The resulting numbers from the WO were:  AP: 204W; NP: 214W; IF: 0.81; VI: 1.05; Avg. HR: 142 (note that my max. HR is somewhere around 197)

Last week's long run was a 30%/50%/20% run.  I ran 13 miles, paced by power, as follows:
    Miles 0 - 1.5: slow ramp from z1 to TRP: (190 - 210W)
    Miles 1.5 - 4: TRP (210W) Avg. HR 144
    Miles 4 - 11: z2 (220-225W) Avg. HR 159
    Miles 11 - 13: z3 (235-240W) Avg. HR 171

I really liked how this run felt, and it seemed like a good layout for pacing the run on race day.  After you sent me the last message, I went back and compared HR data for the avg. of the bike split to the TRP portion of the run, and they seem to align with the guidance of keeping the first several miles of the run at the same HR as the avg. bike HR.  So I wanted to double-check that I'm not out in left field somewhere if I utilize this run pacing strategy on race day.  To use an analogy, I see run power as the tachometer, and HR as the engine temperature gauge.  I'd shoot for TRP power in miles 0 - 4, but not to exceed an HR in the mid-140's.  Then, settle into Z2 pace for the bulk of the run and just keep an eye on HR to make sure it's not doing anything really wonky before a final big push for the last couple of miles.  

OK, I said I'd try to keep it short, but it wasn't that short.  I'd welcome any input - even if it's that I'm wayyy off base.

Thanks,
    John
  • Options
    John - 

Thanks for the note, and I really appreciate you wrestling with this problem. It is a difficult one to explain and I think you’ve nailed it. I love using Power as a tool to make sure I’m running just as I do at home… But the heart rate make sure that this piece is not doing any damage to my race performance. You can certainly ask you the way you have outlined and I hope we can capture your experience in a race report to share with the team. Onwards!

~ Coach P 
  • Options
    Hey @Coach Patrick

I wanted to drop you quick note to say that 70.3 CdA was awesome.  I posted a race report here, and I included some thoughts on my little experiment in pacing the run with power.  I'd love your thoughts:

https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/24875/70-3-coeur-dalene-race-report-john-katsoudas-run-pacing-with-power-experiment#latest

I submitted a new triathlon season roadmap and would appreciate your input on how best to structure the remainder of the season.  I just came off the 2018 EN Half bike focus 20 week plan, and I did the swim and run as level 1, and bike as level 2 and those felt appropriate. 

In terms of the rest of the season, I'm on vacation from July 18 - Aug 4.  During that time I won't realistically be doing much 'structured' training.  I'll just be squeezing in some runs with family whenever possible and perhaps an OW swim or two.

When I return from vacation, I'm planning to do the bike leg of 70.3 Santa Cruz as a relay team member, and after that I'm done for the season and ready to roll into the outseason.

How would you suggest I structure my training through the next few months leading up to 70.3 SC and then into the outseason?

Thanks,
    John

• Options

@john katsoudas

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Races

• July 18 - Aug 4 - Vacation
    • 2018-09-09 -- Bike leg of IMSR 70.3 (relay)

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 06/29/2018
    • 7/2/2018 load up the Bike Focus, ADV plan to end on 8/12...follow it as long as you can.
    • Run on vacation...even 30' a day can keep things rolling! Or nice long walks / hikes can also keep the fitness up. 
    • When you return load the EN*Half Bike Focused plan to end on 9/9...I still want you doing TRP runs but I expect you to crush all the bikes, etc. 

Coach Notes

I think we can front load some bike fitness to build off of what you started for CDA 70.3™ but we need to make sure that you get all that gearing set up.

You are going to have to explain to me why on earth you don't pee on your bike. That's racing 101. 

Finally, the run with power thing DOES work. I have used it as well on hotter days as it's my "safe" zone for performance. Given your racing status (swim + bike + run) And the conditions on the day, an elevated HR can be expected. The key is making sure you can sustain it. My guess is you were able to do this this go-round as you hadn't over-reached on the bike. You might have to be a bit more careful next time (6.5 miles by power..then more HR?)...but some great lessons learned for you!

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options
    @Coach Patrick

OK, well... slight change of plans.  My relay partners for 70.3 Santa Cruz bailed on me and I don't really have a lot of interest in doing a relay with two random strangers (or the current fitness coming back from 3 weeks of vacation to do it all by myself).  This was my last race of the season, so it's time to plan for next season.

Warning - there will be LOTS of questions in this post.  First question: Do we keep going in this thread, or do you prefer to start a new thread each season?  Second question:  We haven't talked in a while.  Do you think it's worthwhile going over some of the stuff below on a call?

I don't have an "A" race nailed down for next season yet.  I *think* that I'm going to target an IM in the late May or early June timeframe, which narrows it down to either Santa Rosa or Boulder.  If it were up to me I'd register for Santa Rosa and start planning/training, but I don't think I have complete spousal buy-in yet for a full season of IM training. The long weekend workouts leading up to 70.3 CdA were pretty disruptive, and the concern is that the training leading up to a full IM would be even more disruptive.  One thing I can do that would help this significantly is to shift the entire training plan by two days to put the long Sat/Sun workouts on Thurs/Fri.  As a stay-at-home dad with two high schoolers, I have the luxury of time during the school day.  Al gave me some very good advice here, and I actually did this over the last week with the HIM plan, and it worked out beautifully, so I think that this would go a long way toward addressing concerns.  So, for the purposes of season planning, let's assume that IMSR is my "A" race for next season (May 11, 2019).

This past season was my 're-entry to triathlon' season, so goals were minimal beyond enjoying the process.  I see this coming season as a 're-entry to Ironman' season so I don't want to go crazy with time goals and such, though I do think I'd like to target some S/B/R times as motivators to drive improvements.  

Here are my goals for the coming year:

Overall:
    - Enjoy the process! (this will always be the #1 goal- when it's not fun anymore it'll be time to go do something else).
    - Minimize the impact of training on family time.

Swim:
    - my 43' swim at 70.3 CdA was a bit disappointing, even by my low standards.  I'm not looking for FOP times, but I need to get my swim to be at least MOP if I'm going to have any aspirations beyond just finishing races in coming seasons.  I know that the EN outseason plans intentionally don't have swimming in them.  Does your advice differ for someone that's willing to put in extra work and needs to drive some serious improvements?  I have a Vasa and have access to a pool year-round.  We're about to start construction on a backyard pool that will include an Endless Pools Fastlane unit, and that should be up and running by January.  I'd like to be able to go sub-1:20 for an IM swim next year. However, something tells me that this is all fine and well, but unless/until I get some professional help with technique I'm just going to continue to struggle.  Pete Kain is local to me.  I may reach out to him for some swim coaching help.  Thoughts?

Bike:
    - Current FTP on the road bike is ~290 and on the tri bike ~275.  What sort of improvement do you think is realistic for a year 2 athlete?  Is targeting >300W on the tri bike (~10% improvement) realistic?  At my current FTP, BestBikeSplit predicts a 5:16 bike leg for IMSR (0.72 IF), and at +10% it predicts a 5:03.  Is it realistically possible to drive enough improvements in both FTP and 5-hour power simultaneously in one outseason to get down to ~5 hours?
    - Does an outseason century ride make sense?  If so, where in the training is the best fit for this?

Run:
    - I've reached a tentative truce with the tendonitis in my left foot, but it's not 100% gone.  So, one main goal for the next few months is to really hit the therabands and stretches hard to try to get rid of it once and for all.  So, I'm not sure that targeting an early season consecutive day run streak is in the cards at the moment.
    - Once that's addressed, I'd like to start driving some time improvements in my running.  I ran 1:57 HIM at 70.3 CdA.  Do you think targeting a 3:45 IM marathon is a realistic improvement in one season?
    - Does an outseason half marathon make sense?  If so, where in the training is the best fit for this?

Other:
    - This sounds silly, but I need to learn to pee on the bike.  You asked in the previous post why on earth I don't go on the bike?  Short answer is that it's not for lack of trying.  It just doesn't happen for me.  I end up wasting a ton of time coasting, standing unclipping, squirming around, and then finally stopping at a porta-potty.  I have no idea how to 'learn' to do this.
    - Nutrition.  Figuring out a nutrition/hydration strategy for 70.3 took me a fair amount of experimentation but I finally came up with something that worked well for me.  IM nutrition/hydration is orders of magnitude more complicated, so I don't want to leave this to the last minute to sort out.

OK, that's all for now.

Thanks!
    -John
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick hi again.  Sorry - I'm hoping to catch you before you spend any time working on a plan based on the previous message.  I think the act of putting my goals for next season down in writing has prompted me to put them under the microscope a bit and be really honest with myself about what I want.  My concern is that my reasons for wanting to do an IM next season aren't solid enough.  There's a bit of 'checking the box' mentality (wanting to do another IM for my 50th b-day) as well as a sense that it's something I 'have' to do since I did a HIM this season, and that doing another HIM-focused season would somehow not be enough.  None of that is enough motivation to get me through the really tough workouts in the middle of winter, or to make the family sacrifices necessary to do an IM.

If I'm being honest with myself and forget about trying to impress others for a moment, I'd much rather spend another season getting faster at HIM.  So, let's target a May/June HIM A race with some fun centuries, half marathons, and sprint/oly's thrown in.  Sorry for the change-up.  One example might be 70.3 Oceanside (Apr. 6) followed by 70.3 CdA (June 30).  I'd love to hear your thoughts.

-John
  • Options
    @john katsoudas - thank you for your candor...I really appreciate it. I think there's great(er) potential in being honest than in creating a lie to live (and train) in. It also shows your appreciation for the true work required to achieve your level of excellence; if you aren't ready for it, then why do it?

There are plenty of gains for you to target at the Half Distance. For example, you could shoot for a sub-5-hour HIM (or close). There's time for you to gain on all three legs. 

I recommend the following: 

• We move to Run Durability now...and start laying the foundation for a good year with run consistency and "mild" attention to diet (low handing fruit first, more here).
    • You follow RDP and have fun on the bike, maybe a long-ish road race, until...
    • You start the Nov OS (on 10/29). 
    • You'll exit the Nov OS right into the Half Plan for Oceanside. 
    • We process and regroup into CDA 70.3. 
    • I would recommend a summer break to regroup and build the bike...then one more fall Half, even if it's local. 
    Let me know what you think!

~ Patrick
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick thanks for the kind words.  It's been many years since my last IM, but the amount of work, commitment and sacrifice that entails still stands out in my mind and I have huge respect for everyone that goes down that path.  

I think this sounds like a great plan.  Targeting a sub-5 HIM (even as a stretch goal) would be a hugely satisfying way to spend the upcoming season.  If I'm playing the long game, two seasons of solid HIM training would then position me far better (both physically and mentally) to have some legit time goals for an IM in a future season.

A few questions/updates:

- First, we were in Greece for vacation a few weeks ago and visited the host resort for the upcoming 70.3 Greece next April 14, 2019.  (Costa Navarino).  We all LOVED that place.  As my wife and I have been discussing upcoming season goals/plans and I shared my thoughts with her about not doing an IM this coming season, she immediately suggested that I should do 70.3 Greece instead of Oceanside.  Timing-wise, it's great, as 70.3 Greece is only one week later than Oceanside so the above plan still works perfectly.  I'm doing some research on travel/logistics/etc. but Team EN may have some representation at the inaugural 70.3 Greece.  We'll likely be making that call in the next few weeks so we can start nailing down airfare, accommodations, etc.

As far as the training plan goes:

- I'll jump into RDP now.  Do you think the RDP plan + Nov OS would have me ready for a late-January half-marathon or would I need to bump up the running at some point?  There's a local half marathon on Jan 26 that I'd like to do.
    - As far as cycling during RDP, would it be too much to layer on one of the century plans or bike focus plans in parallel to RDP, or do you suggest just throwing in rides on a more casual basis whenever I feel like it?
    - You'll have to let me know when to cut over from the Nov. OS to the HIM plan.
    - I think that 70.3 CdA is a "go" for HIM #2.  The family really liked Coeur D'Alene as a race venue and I'd love another crack at that race.
    - One possibility for a third race would be 70.3 Arizona on Oct. 21. We usually take our family vacation in mid/late-July or early Aug, so this would give me enough time to come back from vacation and get a solid block of training in before another race.  I haven't done any research on this race, so I'm just spitballing.  If you know of a better late-season west coast race, I'm open to suggestions. Santa Cruz and Superfrog are both closer to me, but I think early/mid-Sep doesn't give me enough time post-vacation.

Thanks,
    John
  • Options

OK, just a quick update. I don't want to take up a lot of your time, as I'm sure you're in the last big push for Kona now.

After a bunch of research and trying to figure out how to make it work, 70.3 Greece would be both logistically crazy, as well as obnoxiously expensive. So, I've passed on that idea and have registered for 70.3 Oceanside, so that's now officially my first "A" race for 2019. CdA will likely be #2, but that never sells out, so no big rush to register for that.

There's nothing critical to nail down right now from my last message above, except for the question about the late-January half marathon, if there's anything different I should be doing in RDP in preparation for a half marathon. Everything else can be sorted out when we get to Nov OS.

Thanks,

John

• Options

Sounds good! 👌

i think RDP + Nov OS is you best possible combo for the Jan 13.1. We might need to add some more volume come December in the event your totals are lower than 24 miles per week in the basic OS,” but we won’t know until you get there!

RDP it is!!

• Options

Hi Coach P.,

It's been a rough last several weeks. I've been struggling with a recurrence of a lower back injury that's flared up from time to time over the past 25 years. This one has lasted for over a month now. I've also had some personal/family things going on. The net of all of this is that training has been on the back burner for the last several weeks. I think that my back is finally recovering (though it's not 100% yet) and I think (though I'm not 100% sure) that my head is finally in the right place to be able to invest some time and attention to training again.

I had started Nov OS and struggled through week 1 before the wheels fell off the wagon. I have only managed 2-3 easy workouts the last few weeks, so I'm definitely not in a place to jump back into the Nov OS plan right now. We are also planning to travel over the Christmas holiday and will be out of the country from Dec. 23 - Jan. 3. I was targeting Oceanside 70.3 in April, but I'm not sure I see that as a viable goal at the moment (either physically or mentally). I'm thinking of regrouping and targeting CdA 70.3 at the end of June. If I did that, how would you recommend revising my training plan? I'm thinking it would be some sort of easy ramp up in Dec to see how my back is recovering (back to run durability?) and then jump into Jan OS? What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

John