Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Ross Randolph Official Coach Thread

Comments

• Options

Hi @Coach Patrick,

Currently in Week 14 of the 2017 EN*Half (Advanced) Plan.  Looking at your advice on bike volume - not sure how I utilize the Bike Focus Plan when already in the Half Plan?  Is there a way to integrate one into the other?  I don't currently have a "Friday Ride" to extend.  Rides in the plan I'm in are generally Wednesday (1 hour intervals) and then Saturday/Sunday long rides (2 - 3.5 hours each).  Have been following the plan pretty much as written.  Results have been pretty stable numbers since May - no faster/slower on swim, bike or run.  FTP test a week ago and numbers didn't budge.  Not sure how to interpret that ...?

I can do more time on weekend rides if you think that would help?  Or is it better to add another day of bike instead?

• Options
    Ross -  sounds like you might be in a different training plan and the one I am talking about if you load up the 2018 EN*HALF Bike Focused Plan, There are bike workouts on Fridays. Maybe you are in the 2017 plan?

Generally speaking when you are in season at this point we don’t really see FTP numbers move. It is a good confirmation for you to use as part of your race day data. In addition to the heart rate and power values you see in those longer rides on the weekends of course. Why don’t you check the plan you have loaded and make a switch of required and then we can discuss modifications once you see the new workouts. 
  • Options
    OMG - ever have one of those dreams where you are about to take a test and you realize you were studying the wrong chapter … or even the wrong textbook!?  Yikes!  So, yes, I was absolutely in the wrong plan; I was using the 2017 EN Half Plan.  Doh!  Ok, so no panic since looks like I just missed some bike volume earlier on but plans were similar (which explains why I wasn't riding on Friday when I should have been).

Here is the latest in prep for Santa Rosa 70.3.  Health is good; continue to run strong since Boston.  Completed first race rehearsal a few weeks back and did better than I thought.  Swam about an hour at or slightly slower than race pace (1:25/100 yard).  56 miles with Avg Power @ 189W / NP @ 198W  (FTP 220); IF @ 0.901 didn't match RPE (HR avg 136 BPM) so not sure what's up with that.  This is first year for me training with power so still trying to baseline the numbers.  (And, really, haven't even really trained with HR either; have always been RPE.)  After bike I did 1 hour run (8 miles @ 7:00/mile @ 154 BPM … able to negative split the run).

I have two more RR between now and end of July and plan to do the same 'course' here so will see how numbers compare.  Only thing I plan to change is nutrition.  I used Hammer Perpetuem and Clif Bloks on bike.  Worked well for me but I got some GE and plan to try that instead so I can fuel off the course and not have to carry so much nutrition on board in SR.  Just got the GE this week and have only tried it on a few rides.  So far hasn't seem to be a problem but is a lot sweeter than I'm used to.

Finishing up 'camp week' in my plan.  Yesterday did 3 hours in garage on the trainer; was about 100 deg F.  (Not much cooler outside.)  Threw down all of 150W and 16-17 mph; got off the bike embarrassed at that result.  I rationalized the heat but HR was only 132 BPM so thinking left some on the table. Nutrition was fine, though I missed a good opportunity to do sweat test; still need to do that.

Starting to look at Santa Rosa bike course and a potential race strategy - in particular for the bike.  There are only 2 significant climbs - one around Mile 5 and one around Mile 30 (chalk hill).  A bunch of rollers throughout on variety of pavement quality - lots of chip seal and bumpy road surface here.  Prevailing winds are generally north to south which if that's true on race day means it's likely going to be tailwind and some wicked fast bike splits.  The run is pancake flat and shaded.  Previous race experiences are I'm out of the water with top of my AG and then get passed by over half the field on the bike and then try to pass them on the run without blowing up.  

This year has already been different.  I have a real training plan and real data to draw from (not to mention a proper coach & team!).  Look forward to your thoughts as we get closer.  Want to be sure I have ambitious - but realistic -  expectations.
  • Options
     I thought there was something suspicious about your training! Everyone’s in a while I mess up a training plan so it’s possible that could’ve been my fault, I am glad you are on the right page now.

Love quality sessions you are putting in  and all of the data you are gathering as well. Don’t worry about any one particular session. Remember we are just looking at the aggregate trend of all of those workouts. I do not expect that you will stay as strong or get stronger in every single session. As you noted with the heat, there is always a wide variety of environmental factors that can affect your performance. This is why we gather many weeks of training data and then average out the power and heart rate zones for race day.  This ensures that we cover all contingencies and have a normal life set of data as a guide.

If it’s that hot outside and even in your garage, and figuring out the hydration is critical. One of the reasons I am not a fan of perpetual is that the protein they use starts to degrade overtime. So if you make a bottle at 4 AM by 10 AM it is disgusting. I prefer you use Gatorade even if you make it at 2/3 strength.

Sometimes on the bike drinking a larger volume of fluid that is equally balanced like GE  can be a critical success factor in your day. Let’s see what a sweat test yours for you in terms of quantity of fluid required.

Having followed the IRONMAN in Santa Rosa, I was blown away by how fast the age group as were biking. It may be worthwhile looking at some of those files by searching the athletes and then reviewing it on Strava. My sense is that attacking the hills is OK if you are able to recover on the rollers… Which means you have to be very good at maintaining your momentum and cycling smart.

Then we can rely on your run fitness, but you are not allowed to race the run until mile five or six… In other words we need to keep you in Heart Rate jail at the start of the run in order to get some nutrition in. 
  • Options

I downloaded both mine and last year's age group results (40-44 Top 10) from SR70.3.  I was only able to get 1st place (Sami Inkenen) and 10th place (John Dwight) Strava files for the race.  Sami's bike split is just insane and not relevant for comparison IMHO.  John's race file was interesting ... his average power on Strava shows 247W with lots of swings due to the hills (not sure what is NP or IF is or how to get that from Stava).  That is so far from where I am right now on my bike yet he only biked 9 minutes faster than me?  WTF?  How does that math work?  Only thing I can figure is he is a bigger dude than me but based on his profile pic it doesn't look like that is the case.

Based on last year and where my fitness is currently, I think I can hang with them in the swim & probably run  (I did 1:32 today for standalone 13.1 mile run on fatigued legs; did a negative split with a 6:40/mile average for last 3 miles and felt I even had a bit more in the tank at the end).  The bike is the big question mark; I did 2:40 last year which I think I should improve based on recent time in the saddle and more focus on this discipline this year.  However, in long training rides over the last several weeks (none on the SR course) I can't seem to do better than 2:50 for 56 miles.  And since I didn't race with power last year I have no basis for comparison.  The Santa Rosa half course is a net downhill so the only thing I can think of is we must have had the downhill + tailwind in 2017.  (?)

I'm interested to learn more about HR jail and also how best to process the mounds of data I've now accumulated over the last several months to translate into target power & race strategy.  And not able to race the run until mile 5 or 6!?  Would like some advice on how to do that, especially with only one more race rehearsal to go.  :)

Oh, and results on the sweat test were surprising.  I was doing 2 bottles of GE per hour but still lost 3 lbs during the sweat test; still running the calcs online but apparently I'm still not taking in enough fluids.  It was a hot day, though.  Over 90 degrees in the garage so suspect that is 'worst case' conditions here.  Santa Rosa likely not going to be that hot since bike is in the morning and is usually in 60s-70s even in July in Northern California.

• Options

@Coach Patrick,

Was an eventful Santa Rosa 70.3; some good, some bad.  Will put details for all to read in my race report coming soon.  In the meantime, was looking at the 2-week transition plan before I start the next cycle which concludes with Santa Cruz 70.3 in September.  It states:

"This plan is for athletes who have completed a Half Iron / 70.3 race and are looking to recover and continue with the rest of their season. This is not for athletes looking to do another Half Iron race in close succession, or who are enroute to an Ironaman.        "                       

Just wondering if the time between Santa Rosa 70.3 & Santa Cruz 70.3  (6 weeks apart) is considered "close succession?"  After a 2-week transition, only 4 weeks to 'build' ... or maybe maintain ... before next race.

Thoughts?

• Options
     I look forward to the report! As you noted, the six week turnaround is pretty tight. I recommend doing the two week recovery plan for the first 12 days. That second weekend he should be able to hit the workouts as you load the half plan to once again and on your next race. I suggest that you use that second plan as a guide versus following it to the letter  

Specifically, you have already done all of the run training in the long run on race day. You don’t need to once again build up to a long run as you already have one. But we do want you running between 60 and 90 minutes several times. Frequency is more important.

Similarly with the bike, you have already done to race rehearsals and a race. Rather than getting in more training, it’s more important that you focus on improving whatever problems you had on race day regarding equipment and execution. You could get away with several two hour ride so closer to ABP and one or two very easy longer rides, more social just to keep your plasma volume up.

Similarly, you have already done all of the run training in the long run on race day. You don’t need to once again build up to a long run as you already have one. But we do want you running between 60 and 90 minutes several times. Frequency is more important. Similarly with the bike, you have already done to race rehearsals and a race. Rather than getting in more training, it’s more important that you focus on improving whatever problems you had on race day regarding equipment and execution. You could get away with several two hour ride so closer to EBP and one or two very easy longer rides, more social just to keep your plasma volume up. 

And this one will be just nice to keep that going. If anything, the swim is where you can overachieve right now.

So for the macro sense, the goal here is to use the second race as an opportunity to improve upon your last one by being smarter and more focused.
  • Options

@Coach Patrick super stoked after finishing Santa Cruz with a 70.3 PR and my highest-ever AG placing. Race report is uploaded with details. Still can't believe I finished Top 10. That was one of my goals this year so happy to have achieved that. Looking forward to getting some recommendations and have some questions for upcoming training & racing:

1. Next race for me is in November. 70.3 Langkawi (Malaysia). 8 weeks from 9/23 when my 2-week post-IM training concludes. Fitness & health are pretty solid right now. Langkawi is hot, humid - much like Kona but without the wind. Training in Northern California to simulate conditions will be challenging. Copy/paste strategy from Santa Cruz probably not likely - was 50/60 deg F and low humidity. Perfect racing conditions for me but will be very different close to the equator. I enjoyed your 'racing in heat' podcasts and will apply the lessons. Question is how can I tweak my training to be better prepared? For example, I plan to race more by HR than pace in Malaysia but how can I train for that when conditions are not the same? Also, want to continue building bike. Swim & run are solid. Am thinking loading the HIM Bike Focused ending 11/17?
    2. Question about my run fitness and training. In looking at my run in the build to Santa Cruz, I backed off considerably on the mileage versus Boston prep (April) and Santa Rosa (July). I didn't think I had the run fitness going into Santa Cruz and then popped off a 1:33 half marathon after a 10-minute PR on the bike. That performance has me questioning my run training approach - since I've been prone to injury I have been trying to do more runs off the bike as the bike seems to warm up the ankles & calves more making it easier to get going on the run. Would be interested in your thoughts on this?
    3. Is an Ironman feasible for 2019? Originally I was thinking about a full IM in 2019 but not sure if I have the time to dedicate to the training. Would be interested in your thoughts on how many hours per week is realistic to prepare? For my HIM training I've been able to manage around 10 hours per week of training (peaking to 14 hours max). I don't think that's enough time to properly train for an IM, however?
    4. 2019 Race Calendar. The only race on calendar so far is Eagleman 70.3 with the team in June. I would also like to take another run at BQ after failing in Boston this year. Oakland Marathon is in March and thinking that is the best one to do after a winter of run durability while focusing on Bike in the OS. So a marathon in March, 70.3 in June … perhaps another 70.3 in the fall and/or full Ironman?

Look forward to your thoughts/recommendations on these!

• Options

@Ross Randolph - Congratulations to you on that race. A 133 in those conditions is super impressive. I love all of your questions so here is my best bet at answering them.

First, I think you benefited in your run training from all of the early-season volume you did. That was a great investment and you made the right call not to continue to push the run across an entire season. That is often an easy way to be broken. I think the way you progressed from a large focus on running and then transition into Triathlon with more brick focused work out is perfect. It’s important to remember that even if you are in training your run the system, the Fitness is still there. You know how to run, how to pace yourself etc. which is often a secret advantage in a triathlon! Moving forward I think you can balance your training between run focus blocks and try specific box for maximum efficiency. There is a mileage or intensity limit we all have beyond which we are prone to breaking. Triathlon allows you to cheat that a little bit by using bike for intensity and volume.

In terms of preparing for the humidity, and there are two specific things you can do right now. The first is to make sure you’ve adjusted your bike and nutrition plan accordingly for the heat. This means likely drinking 150% to 200% more racist specific (not water) fluid while biking. That is something you need to train you got to do and you should practice. The other part is you can add in the sauna protocol after runs in the last two weeks from @Sheila Leard One last thing, you definitely will want to bring a lot of external salt to help keep your gut happy as need be.

Yes, and I remain as possible but we would have to get a little sneaky with your training. If we know you are limited to 10 or 12 hours a week then there will be periods during your year will be really focus a lot on bike it in bike volume, essentially making you a cyclist. Then we would toggle back to becoming more of a balance strategy. Many people have been successful in this type of program especially using our focus on quality training. But it’s not your traditional “go long do volume Iron Man” training plan.

• Options

Sorry, I think my answer was too long and got cut off! Finally I think your billed for the season is perfect. We can easily parlay the marathon into your half experience and then decide what we want to go from there. We would have the opportunity to either inject that cycling volume in the middle part of year as preparation for a phone or we can continue this progression with success of the half distance with a goal towards perhaps qualifying you for worlds in the future. By not doing an Iron Man doesn’t mean you are missing out on something or not improving. You can get very strong at the half distance and not the full doesn’t mean you are missing out on something or not improving. You can get very strong at the half distance and easily make that transition as needed / when ready!

• Options

@Coach Patrick , this month marks the end of my 1st year inside EN. Has been a great year of racing & fulfilling many of my goals. Would like to get some feedback on 2018 year-in-review and confirm training plan going into 2019. (Currently in the OS plan starting in December.)

To recap the year for me:

2018 Races

• Boston Marathon 2018
    • Santa Rosa 70.3 on July 28
    • Santa Cruz 70.3 on Sept 9
    • Langkawi 70.3 on November 17

Short/Long Term Goals

• Top ten at a 70.3 - ACHIEVED in Santa Cruz (8th AG) and Langkawi (6th AG)
    • Qualify for Boston AT Boston - NOT ACHIEVED. Poor weather, wind & rain kept me out of contention for 2019.
    • IM in 2019 - ??? (REVISING GOAL TO 2020)

2019 Races (Signed up so far)

• Oakland Marathon (March 24, 2019)
    • IM Eagleman 70.3 (June 9, 2019)
    • Fall Ironman 70.3 or Marathon (Santa Cruz 70.3 or Santa Rosa marathon - both in September)

2019 Goals

1. Stay healthy. Avoid injury.
    2. Qualify for Boston 2020
    3. Top 5 at a 70.3
    4. Qualify for 70.3 WC 2020
  • Options

@Ross Randolph - have just posted some year end stuff for you to do, actually the Team, in the Coach Chat section of the site here (includes homework): December '18: Year End Review

That will be a good start beyond just Good vs Bad. 🤣

I think that the numbers you get out of the review ^above^  will help set the tone of how we personalize your year. I'd like you to submit your races to our Roadmap (http://members.endurancenation.us/TrainingPlan/TriathlonSeasonRoadmap.aspx ) but please check "Do Not Process" As I Have done it below.

Coach Notes

I think your year-end review will Give us more insight as to what worked vs what didn't. The plans are the template but beyond that we'll need to dive into the specifics of what really set your year on the right path.

I know you are obsessed with running, but clearly you are doing well at the 70.3™ distance. Excited to see you push that this year...moving to Eagleman means being ready to push a bigger gear and stay aero; competition is fierce. Get me that review stuff and we can start personalizing this!!!

Your Races

• Oakland Marathon (March 24, 2019)
    • IM Eagleman 70.3 (June 9, 2019)
    • Fall Ironman 70.3 or Marathon (Santa Cruz 70.3 or Santa Rosa marathon - both in September)

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 12/20/2018
    • On 12/17/2018 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/13/2019
    • >> Transition Early <<
    • On 1/7/2019  Load the    Marathon [Balanced], 24 Weeks to end on 3/24/2019
    • On 3/25/2019 Load the    Post Marathon / Half Marathon Plan (2wks) to end on 4/7/2019
    • On 4/8/2019  Load the  -- EN*Half Bike Focused  to end on 6/9/2019
    • On 6/10/2019 Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 6/23/2019</p>

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick have completed the Year End Review using the template in Word but doesn't look like I can attach the full doc so did my best copy/paste below. If you want the original Word doc let me know best way to get it to you. Thanks!

I will load the plans you recommend but interested in building some bike on top of the marathon prep.

Endurance Nation Year End Report

Athlete Name:     Ross Randolph     Date Completed:  December 21, 2018

Year of Report:             2018          Age: 43 (DOB: 09/25/75)

Height:      5’10”                                Best Body Composition (#): ???

Body Comp Ratio (Weight in LBS ÷ Height in Inches):     155 lbs / 70” = 2.21

Average Hours Sleep per Night: 7 – 8 hours

KEY RACES & RESULTS

2018 Boston Marathon (April 16): Official Time = 3:20:44

https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/24692/ross-randolph-2018-boston-marathon-race-report#latest

07/28/2018 Santa Rosa 70.3 – 5:59:37 (187th place 40-44 AG)

·      Swim: cancelled

·      Bike: mechanical issues

·      Run: 1:34:43

https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/24972/ross-randolph-2018-santa-rosa-70-3-race-report

09/09/2018 Ironman Santa Cruz 70.3 – 4:43:49 (8th place 40-44 AG)

·      Swim: 27:53

·      Bike: 2:34:55

·      Run: 1:34:23

https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/25124/ross-randolph-2018-santa-cruz-70-3-race-report

11/17/2018 Ironman Langkawi (Malaysia) 70.3 – 4:49:55 (6th place 40-44 AG)

·      Swim: 29:04

·      Bike: 2:39:07

·      Run: 1:36:42

https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/25397/ross-randolph-ironman-langkawi-70-3-malaysia-race-report

DISCIPLINE INFORMATION

Discipline 1: Swim  71 hours YTD

Annual Distance: 281 km       Weekly Avg: 5400m         Peak Month: 40k (June)  

Peak Week: 12,500 yards       

Discipline 2: Bike  192 hours YTD

Annual Distance: 3550 miles    Weekly Avg:   68 mi     Peak Month: 550 mi (June)              

Peak Week:       143 mi

Discipline 3: Run  171 hours YTD

Annual Distance: 1370 miles    Weekly Avg: 27 mi       Peak Month:    175 mi (March)            

Peak Week:  42 miles

Discipline Section Question and Answer

What things have I done that have had the biggest impact on my performance?

·     Sleep – if I slept well, I trained well. If I slept like crap, my training day was crap.

·     Chiropractic (every 3 weeks) and ART (active release therapy) about once/month really helped me bounce back, especially ART which I started for first time this year.

·     Nutrition – really focused on eating whole foods, more salads, more fish & lean protein this year.

·     High leg turnover (run cadence) seemed to help keep me injury-free during the year. (I saw a run gait specialist in January.)

·     Practiced quite a few brick workouts which improved my run off the bike. (Followed WSM advice of “protect your run weapon” and watched bike power during races to limit spikes.)

·     Limiting run volume (<45 miles/week) seemed to keep injuries at bay.

What things have I done that DID NOT have an impact (+ or -) on my performance?

·     I didn’t focus on spending more time in the pool, but my swim performance was pretty static all year. Not improving, not worsening. Not sure if there is data to show but wonder if I had taken some time from swim training would have been better to place more on bike?

·     FTP was pretty much the same over the year.

·     Reducing/eliminating strength training did not seem to impact run performance.

·     Limiting run volume (NMT 40 miles/week) did not seem to slow me down during race.

·     6-8 weeks between 70.3’s did not diminish my race performances.

SEASON TRENDS INFORMATION

Season Trend Section Question and Answer

How did the trends of your data play out across a season?

·     Run volume and progression was pretty steady across the year. I was very confident going into Boston and without the weather factor I am convinced I would have PR’d or gotten very close. Volume decreased between July & October. This was between Santa Rosa 70.3 and Santa Cruz 70.3 I thought I wasn’t getting enough mileage in but the plan worked really well. I had a GREAT run in Santa Cruz and then was able to do it again in November in Langkawi.

·     Swim was steady throughout the year. I have a pool close to the house (outdoors, open Feb – Oct) and I love swimming. Not sure if volume really helped and whether my swim would have suffered if I did half the swim time and donated that time to the bike if it would have helped in my results.

·     Bike: Was not able to spend as much time/volume in the early part of the year due to focus on Boston prep. I picked it up with the bike-focused 70.3 plan May – September. I believe that made the difference this year in moving me from outside the Top 20 in prior years in my age group to getting two Top 10 finishes in 2018.

Were there any interruptions to your training? Setbacks?

·     Slight hamstring pull during Boston marathon and some sore achilles off & on throughout season but no serious setbacks this year.

·     No other family or other issues; was able to balance work & life (4 kids and KQ spouse) to find training time. Wife qualified for Kona in Malaysia so pressure is off for her (a.k.a. us) and we are both looking forward to 2019! 😊

• Options

@Ross Randolph Kudos to La Spouse (as we say in Zwift-ese). We'll have to make sure we all connect out there on the Big Island next year.

The data is epic...from a macro level, I think that your best bet is to really focus on the bike this year. You have demonstrated running strength and proficiency across multiple races And distances. This point, I'm pretty confident that you could run 730s with 10 pound sack on your back. It's not something you need to train, it's something you need to maintain.

The biggest Delta for you this season will be really spending time on the bike. If you look at the charts, you really ramped up for your tri races with volume...and you avg/d 68 miles a week. I'd like to get that closer to 125 this year. That's really 2 x 30 mile mid weeks and 1 x 60 (3 hour) on the weekend (or you can split them). If you aren't already on Zwift, it's a great way to stack up the miles and make bike gains.

The key is making sure we put the bike miles into your basic plan. Here's what you have now:

• On 1/7/2019  Load the    Marathon [Balanced], 24 Weeks to end on 3/24/2019
    • On 3/25/2019 Load the    Post Marathon / Half Marathon Plan (2wks) to end on 4/7/2019
    • On 4/8/2019  Load the  -- EN*Half Bike Focused  to end on 6/9/2019

So I say we plan on the following in Marathon Prep:

• 1 quality mid week ride (tempo, 1 hour, think Z3/ABP)
    • 1 friday easy shake out spin, call it one hour in Zone 1-2 with cadence focus.
    • 1 Sunday longer ride day...maybe Cruise and Crush with us.

In Post Marathon:

• bike Bike week right away, aerobic, to get that boosted.
    • We hack the Half plan for more biking at that time.

Sound good?

~ Coach P

• Options

Hi @Coach Patrick ... I am way overdue for a check-in. Sitting here less than 2 weeks out from Oakland Marathon and looking forward to a brief taper before the race on March 24.

I'm pretty happy with this training cycle. Have followed your advice and been pretty steady with run to maintain volume & frequency. Have done a few run tests and am pleased with the results. My last VDOT 5k was Feb 6 @ 18:45 (6:03/min pace). That's my all-time 3rd best 5k time. Last weekend I did a HM @ 1:31:26 (6:59/min pace). I'm targeting a BQ in Oakland which for me is less than 3:10. I've done it before but first time in Oakland; will need to average 7:05-7:15 per mile. Will let you know how it goes. Do you want me to post a race report for a smallish marathon like Oakland?

I've been averaging 30-40 miles per week running over this training block which I think is where I want to average the year - seems to be enough to maintain fitness without risking injury.

I've been adding bike mileage and am averaging 110 miles per week January/February which is less than the 125 miles you suggested but higher than 70 miles/week in 2018. I'm doing about 3 rides/week: two mid-week rides and a long weekend ride. I got a nice FTP bump in February of about 20 watts. My 20" FTP is now around 240-245W and have done rides this month with 1-hr and 3-hour avg power of 200W and 190W, respectively. (Not sure how outdoors compares to indoors, but I averaged 180-190W in both my 70.3 races last fall.)

My swim has tanked. I haven't done much swimming at all since last November. The few swims I've done I can really tell the difference; form sucks and don't have good feel for water due to infrequency. I'm hitting 1:27-1:29 for 100yard where when I'm fit & in season I can pretty easily hit sub 1:25 on an easier day. I'm trusting the EN way with this one and will expect more swimming volume to come as we get closer to June.

I've loaded my Post-Marathon plan (2 weeks) but need some suggestion for bike volume. The plan as written doesn't have me doing much but walking & massage for 1st week. Would you suggest adding bike to Week 1?

I went to load the Half Bike Focused plan but it reverse-loads all the workouts on top of the marathon & post marathon plans on my calendar in Final Surge. Not sure if there is a way so it only forward-load it?

• Options

I forgot to mention I signed up for 2 local early season triathlons. First one is April 14th (3 weeks after marathon) and an Olympic distance event. Don't have high expectations for that one. I'll race it as always but I recognize it's more for the beer & medal than any PR attempt.

The other race might be a good test race in the run-up to Eagleman 70.3. That one is on May 19. Unfortunately only a Sprint distance but would be interested if there's anything you think we should try different or use as a test. It's been years since I've done a competitive Sprint and may be a good one to PR. (I don't even know what my sprint PR is.)

• Options

Great to hear from you. I have been following your workouts online, and you definitely are looking strong.

Yes please to the race report, it’s always good to catch that data. In terms of the post marathon plan, I definitely want to days off but other than that you’re welcome to cycle easy as much as you want over the next 12 days. Please no running until After the two weeks is up. I know you will be bummed, but it’s great rest for your legs and joints.

There is no one right way to load a plan into final surgery. I personally load it into the future and then move the appropriate weeks back to end on the race. Then I delete those other future weeks. We have some information on that on the Health site here: www.endurancenation.us/help

I’m not particularly worried or interested in those other races that you have, they will be a great test for your logistics but really that’s it. Good luck if we don’t talk before the race.

• Options

Hi Coach. Oakland Marathon in the books - literally, wrote my race report this last weekend in the forums. Marathon PR and BQ. Woot! Woot! Thanks for the help & prep. Ok, now on to Eagleman 70.3 in 9 weeks.

I'm in my 2nd week post marathon. I have not run since the race. Have gotten in the pool a few times and done a few miles on Zwift and got an easy hour outside on the bike chasing Sara (le KQ spouse who is doing Oceanside this weekend). Everything feels good but haven't pushed hard on anything; taking it nice & easy. On Sunday I will run for 30 minutes. And then comes Monday and the potential for a real training week.

I jump into Week 12 of the HIM plan with the plan of 15 hours of training across swim (2 hrs), bike (9.5 hrs) and run (3.5 hrs) including a Swim Bike & Run tests over the first 3 days. Mentally I'm ready and physically I feel fine - no soreness, nothing hurting - but would like your opinion on how I should approach this week:

1. Handcuffs off; all systems go. Time to work!?
    2. Still take it easy; gradually transition & add the mileage (especially run?) and miss the test data?
    3. Somewhere in between?

Also, I figured out the cut/paste of Final Surge. Not difficult once you do it a few times.

• Options

So pumped for you with that performance! A great race and even more importantly, a really nice consistent training block. That is a win-win for me for sure. Plus, with all of the competitiveness in your house, at least you’re still allowed inside to sit at the dinner table given how awesome your spouse is. 😂

The hardest part about this week is just getting used to the fatigue again. I think the best way for you to handle it given your training block and your performance is as follows:

Swim away, get them all in.

Bike away, do them all. If you find yourself just feeling it a little bit by the end of the week, you can certainly dial the intensity down a bit as needed. But do get all of the bike time in.

This really is a reentry week for the run. You will be going from almost no running up to some significant running. I would like you to run for the total number of times that are listed in the plan, but I don’t want your longest run to be more than 8 miles. So you could do 2 mile bricks, a 4 mile tempo run, and an 8 mile run on the weekend. Probably somewhere in the 20 mile range is perfect. That is the bridge to get us back to the following week when you are all systems go it all three sports. OK?

• Options

Hi @Coach Patrick . checking in. 6 weeks out from Eagleman. This training block has gone well. After the 2-week run respite after Oakland, legs are back. Swim is coming back as I've been adding more time in the pool. I've been getting some longer rides in to build the bike. My volume in April is highest it's been in the last 12 months (equaling June of last year). I've been getting about 130-140 miles/week. It's been mostly trainer/Zwift miles; I'll move outside a few times as race day gets closer. First race rehearsal this week. I'm thinking of really pushing higher watts in the rehearsal to see if I can do better than last year's races. My training rides at 2.5-3.0 hours have been 175-190 Watts. My racing power numbers were 180W (Malaysia in November - hot & humid) and 193W (Santa Cruz in Sept - cool & dry) and I had really good Half Marathon runs after both of them. I'm going to see if I can hold 200W for the RR and see if I can hit run pace afterward without blowing up. I'm thinking that to have a chance of doing well at Eagleman I have to be riding >200W and then try to run down competition. What do you think?

Also, you mentioned having XS women's EN kit in your garage. My daughter is interested if that's still a possibility.

• Options

I will be curious to hear how you felt all your RR. I certainly think your fitness is there to hold a higher numbers, but tell me what the data says. Do you want to look at how your heart rate responded in the last hour of all three rides to see if it’s something that is sustainable. The heart rate is what allows you to run so well. As a reference.

Also reminder that you don’t have to sustain the same approach to a wattage across of course. If your fitness is higher, the movie times or you can hold 200 W or 210 W and a critical section but then back it down to 190 W when you’re in a tailwind, for example. That way you can use some of your fitness, but in a way that will be applied across the entire 56 miles.

• Options

Race Rehearsal did not go as planned, but learned a few things.

Work and family commitments forced me to move the swim in front of the bike & run so I did all 3 and my race rehearsal ended up being about 20 miles short of a full 70.3.

Swim was nothing exciting. Short course, 2200 yards, 1:22 min/100 yards pace. That's about where I expect to be a few weeks out from the race. It was better to do that ahead of bike as I had a little bit of fatigue starting bike like I will have on race day.

Bike was indoors (garage) on the trainer/Zwift. My goal was to maintain 200 Watts for the duration. First hour wasn't a problem. But then it got warm (80+ deg) and I noticed my HR drifting above 150 BPM so I backed off to 185W. I could only get 2 hours on the bike (43 miles) as I wanted to do the full run and had to pick up my daughter in the p.m. Not sure how short-changing the bike impacts my conclusion below ... am thinking another hour on the bike could be significant.

I did the full 6 miles off the bike. I wanted to be less conservative and really push the pace to see if I might have what it takes to hit 7:00/mile on race day. My splits are below. First mile was 7:14 and then I got a good, increase progression for the remaining 5 miles ending with 6:42/mile. I averaged 7:00/mile for the run and had a slight HR uptick on the last 2 miles but expected that.

So I'm thinking that 200W may still be a feasible target unless Eagleman is really hot then might have to dial back or revert to the 150bpm HR cap. I have at least 1 more race rehearsal to give that a try and plan to do that one outdoors.

I really want to do well for the team and score as many points as possible; would be nice to go Top 10 but don't know if I have the speed to achieve that. I don't mind going in with a little more aggressive race plan for this one.

Thoughts?

Bike & Run Data/Splits:

• Options

I Love the data. Thank you for sharing! Honestly, I think your 200 W outside will be fine. Very few people feel the effects of the seat on the bike here in North America. Give me a race with elevation on the coast in the summertime and maybe. But most of the time you’ll have the effect of traveling at 20 miles an hour to cool you off which you do not get in your garage.

Looking at those last four splits from the bike at your target Watts, the heart rate seems pretty consistent it’s just the increasing heat that’s the problem. That tells me you can handle the work, it’s just that the heat is an issue.

Ironically, that tells me that if it’s going to be a hot day we have to be cautious for you on the run, as that is where you will feel the effect. My guess is that, at your speeds, you will be off the bike around 11-ish. That means you’ll have to run right into the hottest part of the day. So really watching your heart rate in those first 3 miles, not chasing pace, will be important so you don’t accumulate too much heat. Once you’re through those 3 miles you can begin to pick up the effort. We are rolling the dice and others will blow up if it’s going to be that hot.

• Options

@Coach Patrick need some help hacking the last few weeks of my plan due to some business travel. I'm 3 weeks out from Eagleman (week 18). I have some travel this week but able to get the wkos in with just a little movement among mid-week. Next week (week 19 which is 2 weeks out) I will be traveling international to Istanbul, Turkey for a business meeting. I'm sure I will have access to a treadmill, but very likely not much else.

What do you think?

Also, did an off-the-grid local triathlon this morning (3/4 mile swim, 16 mile bike, 5 mile run). Will send you details in separate post; was happy with the result as added some higher watts on the bike and had a steady progressive run.

• Options

Stats from this past weekend's Sprint Tri (cold, wind, rain; temps about 45-50 deg F):

BIKE

RUN

• Options

@Ross Randolph You are officially fast! I don't think we have much to worry about with the Speed yuo have...it's the maintaining we need to do.

• Weekend before is back to back 3.5 hour rides. When you return it's just to get sharp and do taper intervals.
    • On the road, it's a daily 30' run...except: Tuesdays VO2, Thu Long Run, Saturday repeat VO2. Bonus if you can get some pool time.
    • Do make sure you rest on the way back...you'll need it!

Are you ready for the heat?

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick looking for some assistance in picking my next 70.3. My goal is to be in the best position to qualify for next year 70.3 World's in Taupo. Local IM70.3 race options available are Santa Cruz (9/8), Superfrog (9/15) or Indian Wells (12/8). As you know, my strength is swim & run - have made improvements on bike but think based on my power & size a hilly course would be better than flat (?).

Thoughts?

• Options

@Ross Randolph I suggest you head over to OBSTRI.com and compare results. You might be surprised what the top 5 splits look like.

More time means more room to improve the bike if required. But maybe scheduling with school can become an issue. Let me know.

Also have you done any of these races before?

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick thanks for the referral; had never heard of OBSTRI before. Here's what I have so far. Looking at what it takes to be Top 5 (not top 5%, these are top 5) overall times for 40-44 AG results for each race in the past 3 years, I need to be around 4:30 - 4:35 overall:

• Santa Cruz: 4:35
    • Superfrog: 4:35
    • Indian Wells: 4:30

There is some slight variation in results, but in general the Top 5 were 28-30 minutes on swim, around 2:20 on the bike and 1:30 on the run.

I have done Santa Cruz twice. Last year was my best time with 4:43 overall (27:53 swim, 2:35 bike, 1:34 run). I have not done Superfrog or Indian Wells before.

At Eagleman last week I did 2:26 bike (10 minute PR) followed by 1:34 run (no swim).

Based on OBSTRI, Superfrog & Indian Wells bike difficulty are 0.3 & 0.5, respectively while Santa Cruz is 2.0. (Santa Rosa which I've done a few times has a bike difficulty of 1.7.) The run difficulty is 0.4 (Superfrog), 1.3 (Indian Wells) and 1.6 (Santa Cruz).

So what does all this mean? Which race should I do?

• Why Santa Cruz: Know the course well, most challenging bike (a good thing as my weight/kg suggests hillier course the better?), most challenging run (very hilly, various terrain)
    • Why Superfrog: Not sure ... other than it's 1 week from Santa Cruz and they would probably draw from same local pool of competition. However, Superfrog near San Diego versus Santa Cruz near SF Bay Area.
    • Why Indian Wells: December race (others are September) so have longest chance to train. It has moderate bike and more challenging run than Superfrog (at least based on OBSTRI). However, need to be 5 minutes faster versus Santa Cruz to be Top 5.

I've been dropping time on my bike and not losing time on my run. In the past year, I've dropped 70.3 bike splits from consistent 2:40-2:50 range to a 2:35 in Sept 2018 to 2:26 last week. Am thinking with some more bike-focused wko I can get to the 2:20 target to be competitive in the Top 5 40-44 AG. I also need to drop some time on the run ... need to get closer to 1:30 for a half. Not sure how to (safely) do that given history of run injury / overtraining but that's a 6:52 mile which is my current Zone 4 pace so is within striking distance already.

What do you think?

• Options

I think your best bet is to do Santa Cruz. Your knowledge on the course will be critical; you might be faster elsewhere, but we’d have to scrub some speed for just not knowing "what’s next" in each section of the course. I have you doing weeks 2, 3, and 4 of the Bike Focus block, before rolling into the final 8 weeks of the Bike Focus plan for IM Santa Cruz. 

Here is how you can load just specific weeks into your FS account: 

https://www.endurancenation.us/help/loading-specific-plan-weeks-into-your-final-surge-calendar/

During these three weeks your are 100% bike focused and we keep you steady on the run until we return to the normal plan. Bonus if you can get in any additional riding on top of what’s written!!

Updated Roadmap

• On 6/24/2019 Load the  -- Bike Focus Block, 2019 (6wks) to end on 7/29/2019
    • On 7/15/2019 Load the    EN Half Bike Focused  to end on 9/8/2019
    • On 9/9/2019  Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 9/22/2019
    • On 9/23/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/20/2019
    • On 10/21/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/17/2019
    • On 11/18/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/15/2019</p>