Home Coaching Forum 🧢

Ross Randolph Official Coach Thread

Comments

• Thanks @Coach Patrick - we are locked & loaded for Santa Cruz.

• @Coach Patrick got smacked with injury bug this week. I wish I had a glorious story to tell (like riding 200 miles and crashing into a bush at mile 190) but it seems to have come out of nowhere. So Monday morning, on my way into work, had a sneeze like any other in hallway on my way to office. Should have been no big deal, but immediately felt sharp pain from my butt down the left side nearly to my toes. Staggered to my office but then couldn't sit down. Long story short, 4 days later I still can't sit or stand, let alone walk. Have seen chiropractor and primary care doctor; definitely sciatic but don't know what from or why. Possibly piriformis syndrome or herniated disc. Will have MRI tomorrow and likely results next Monday. Needless to say, no training and looking at calendar made decision to pull out of Santa Cruz. First ever DNS for me. Will keep you posted but looks like may need to adjust as my outseason will come after some recovery ... possibly long road once I know what's going on. Will keep you posted.

• @Ross Randolph Sorry for the delay in responding to you, I was on vacation. I have been following your narrative inside group me including the support you are getting from the team. I would appreciate you continuing to put the official details here as you are able. Sometimes the timeline of diagnosis and action is an important part of the path to wellness. If we don’t document it, we can take advantage of it. I hope that makes sense!

Sorry for the delay in responding to you, I was on vacation. I have been following your narrative inside group me including the support you were getting from the team. I would appreciate you continuing to put the official details here as you are able. Sometimes the timeline of diagnosis and action is an important part of the path to wellness. If we don’t document it, we can take it vantage of it. I hope that makes sense! As you are probably already aware, I had Brenda reach out to you to put you on our injury option for the short term while we sort out what the next best option is for you. I don’t want you to leave the team just when you need the support and experience of the membership.

Sending you energy for health and recovery!

~ Coach P

• @Coach Patrick wanted to update you on my condition and recovery plans. Have been slowly getting back to S/B/R. Last doctor visit on 9/25 I had an EMG to test for nerve damage; the doctor did find some nerve damage in my left leg but was unclear if it would be permanent or not. He said nerve endings often can grow back but said he couldn't guarantee if the numbness and tingling in my left foot would ever go away. I still have it on outside of left foot; hasn't changed much in last 3 months. It's not painful (feels like a pebble in my shoe) but is annoying and seems to have a small affect on my balance. Left leg is very weak compared to right. I have been doing physical therapy and focusing on strength & stretch exercises. Making progress in getting back to swimming & biking, too. I am swimming regularly now (2-3 times per week, 4-5 miles total; no flip turns) and my swim fitness and times are comparable to peak training periods in the past. I am just starting to get back into the bike; not pushing very hard (which isn't easy to do on Zwift) and have not done any FTP test. I'm up to 50 miles per week around 150-175 Watts. Have not been running up to now although this past week PT had me on treadmill and cleared me to slowly start to ramp up running - not more than 10 - 20 minutes. I did 20 minutes on Friday (5 minute jog / 1 minute walk intervals) and have pretty sore soleus on left leg so backing that way off.

I have 2 races on the calendar for 2020 - Ironman Hawaii 70.3 in May and Ironman Traverse City in August. My goal for the May race is to be healthy enough to show up on race day. I will evaluate Traverse City goal sometime next year; would like to be competitive but unsure how realistic that will be.

As for training now, I want to continue on the strength training plus one S/B/R session per day. Am thinking to continue to swim up to 3x per week for fitness, increase the bike to 3x per week but limit the run to 1 or 2 times per week, if that. PT said ok to combine swim/bike & possibly swim/run, but no run/bike.

Thoughts?

• @Ross Randolph Got you note in the chat channel. Sorry I missed your thread; sometimes when hey drop off the front page I miss them. When that happens your options are:

1. Bump the thread to the top by just replying "bump"
    2. Use the chat button on the website to POKE us to get your attention.
    3. Set up a call with me to talk under the Help / Book a Call section of the site.

I am here daily, but I can be easily distracted. My apologies, as the window between Kona and Arizona was chock a block. I can and will do better....So, on to your stuff....

I am quite frankly stunned by your progress considering what your wife told in as we waited pre race. You are fortunate to be so active and healthy as a baseline.

A basic week should be:

• Mon - Swim + Core/Flex exercises
    • Tues - Ride Day
    • Wed - Swim + Core/Flex exercises
    • Thu - Ride Day 
    • Fri - Optional Swim or Rest
    • Sat - Ride long, 90 to 120 as you are able.
    • Sun - Swing day...I would recommend a long hike or something similar.

I think that you will be back quickly on the bike, but we don't need to rush it. Your body will still adapt with steady time at this point...and you can use different cadences (80/90/100) for example to challenge yourself vs just intensity.

As for the run, as I noted above, starting off with hiking is great. You can regain a lot of your balance and functional strength with longer than just Firing up running. Once you are walking (intentionally, as a session)....3h per week, we can trade some of that time for running. Get to it! 🤣

~ Coach P

• @Coach Patrick under supervision of PT I have been increasing training load gradually over last few weeks, doing 2-4 swim sessions per week, 2-4 bikes per week and building in some run volume. Intensity has been low with most wko in Z1-Z2.

Swim fitness is back to where I want it; I did a long set of 500-yard repeats this past week and averaged 1:20/100 yards over 5000 yards. That's about as good as I've ever been.

Bike goal has been to add volume; been doing Zwift rides on my own or with the team on weekends as I can. Mostly in Z1-Z2. I'm back to about 100 miles per week and have been increasing. Trying to get back to your recommendation from last year and get up to an average of 150 miles per week, especially in build up to 70.3.

I'm still conservative on run. Following your advice as well as PT and limiting volume. No intensity (haven't run more than 5-6 miles in any session yet and nothing <7:30 miles - most in 8:30+ range). I'm able to run without pain or discomfort without needing to walk. In talking over with my PT, our plan is to slowly build some intensity but not get into a proper tempo/speed intervals until March at earliest.

We spent holidays in Maui where got to get in a lot of volume and a ton of rest (and enjoyed some heat acclimation at the same time). Everything felt really good and happy with my progress. We go back for Hawaii 70.3 at the end of May. That's only race on calendar currently. I want to see where my training is at and do a health check around end of March before setting any real goals. Aspirational goal is still to qualify for World's but more important goal is to stay healthy & have fun to stay in the sport for next few decades.

I guess my only question for you at this point would be if you see any pitfalls or issues with my plan; also, I've had some serious FOMO as I watch others do Endurance Nation outseason plans. I'm 2 years now with the team and for different reasons have not done a proper OS. It feels like I should be doing some kind of plan. I have Final Surge but don't have any "plans" loaded and as a Type A person who needs checklists, I'd like to have a plan that I can drop into my FS account instead of what I'm doing now (which is basically muddling along doing wkos when convenient and whatever I feel motivated to do). I would rather have something more specific based on wko frequency, volume increase % per week or something else where I can track progress. Any thoughts on that?

• edited January 13, 2020 3:53PM via Email
    Ross - thanks for the update. Pleased to hear where you are at on the swim
    and bike, but appreciate where you are with the run.

I know you want a plan. It’s really hard to have a set Plan for a 70.3 when
    your back is such an issue. Usually I defer to your PT.

One option is to load up the plans to Honu and then modify them down to
    your situation. This is what I do when folks submit their roadmap to me for
    their season: http://bit.ly/yourraces

I’ll make a note to do this for you on Monday!!

~ Coach P

• @Ross Randolph Done...I have loaded 2 x PREP plan and the 12-week RACE PREP plans into your FS account, with the first 4 weeks now modified.

THE SWIM: I see you are swimming way more than we would typically have someone do, so you can do the "work" on the interval day and then add more as you like (keep it to 2x).

THE BIKE: We have alternating weeks of 2x mid-week + 1x Weekend with 1x midweek + 2x Weekend. Intervals should be good, but weekends you can go Level 3 and keep the time on there. Please alternate weeks for some adaptation / smoothing the accumulation of fatigue.

THE RUN: Just steady here, no flash. Frequency continues. Now you can find progress with (or vs) the written workouts in the plan, which should help.

Let me know what you think....and yes, we'd have to circle back in a month re the next phase based on how you are doing!

• Hi @Coach Patrick -- appreciated your Coaches Lesson today on adjusted plans as I've been executing the training plan preparing for Hawaii 70.3 without really modifying approach, long after knowing it's been canceled and all racing this year is up in the air. Only thing on the calendar now for me is Traverse City 70.3. The next few weeks of my plan had me tapering for end of May race; I see benefit in final "race" simulation but not sure if that is better than switching to new block now? I feel I'd be pulling back from the improvements I've been making in both volume & endurance over this cycle ...? (Although with my history of injury I am always concerned about blowing up - so at some point may want to program a step-back week.)

Of the options you presented, I'm interested in some focused training block(s) - probably bike. Over the past 6 months I've gotten back to pre-injury volume (and then some) and am about the same FTP & run speed as I had wanted to be going into Hawaii. Am interested in your thoughts & ideas of where to focus on next? I don't want run volume to be any more than 30-40 miles per week. I rode more miles last month than I've ever ridden before and am now averaging over 150 miles per week on the bike (which is one of my goals this year). Here's potential revised goals for rest of the year:

1. Stay healthy; get stronger (especially on bike).
    2. Be prepared to compete in case Traverse City actually happens.
    3. Be ready to compete in late fall race in California if/when TC is canceled, depending on quarantine status (i.e., SuperFrog, Indian Wells).

Thoughts?

• @Ross Randolph you had me at charts! Thank you so much for including some data visuals, it's always so helpful. I hope you are pumped about how far you've come so far this year. It sounds like you are, and that's a good place to be because you have indeed done a great deal of good work. Without the 70.3 happening at the end of this month, my recommendation moving forward is to do this.

Continue through the race rehearsal weekend with the long run and the race rehearsal at the end. I would back up that bike run day with another decent long ride outside on Sunday. So Sat = bike+run; Sun = long bike equal to 56 or up to another hour longer but not more.

That final peek in volume will be one of your biggest weeks of the year, and then gives you permission to take the next week very easy. We were back off on that next week and just keep all of our exercise frequency going but really drop things down. Consolidate, and see how we feel once everybody starts decompensating a bit.

I would then load up the bike specificity plan for six weeks to follow that. By my math, that will have you using that plan from May 25 to July 5. Leaving you time to recover and regroup with training for TC if that's still in play.

Sound good?

~ Coach P

• Thanks @Coach Patrick - so this week is my step-back week. And you were right - last 2 weeks were the bigger weeks of the year (220 miles on the bike, 30 miles on the legs). Enjoying a few 'easier' bikes & runs (I still can't help myself and did Z4 intervals during Nam's meet up on Wednesday and did a 10-mile progression run today). However, feeling good and enjoying the (finally) warmer weather here in Northern California.

Ok, Bike Plan is all loaded up. I don't think I've done this one before (is this a new plan for EN?) but looking forward to it. Also just in time as in 2 weeks our new babies arrive - his & hers Argon 18 Krypton road bikes with full Di2, disc brakes and Mercedes-Benz detailing. Who's stoked? Umm ... THIS guy!

• @Ross Randolph - pushing a little bit during the rest is OK. We just wanna make sure that you are generally on a recovery trend. Remember this should feel somewhat uncomfortable for you because it's different than the fatigue you been feeling juan. It's kind of like a taper: effective but it makes everybody unhappy. 🤣

Yes, that particular place is new and I hope you enjoy it. It's very powerful if we can hit it in the right state. I totally can't wait to see pictures of your new bikes. I have an Argon myself and I love it. The lines are so clean. 💪 maybe you can give us a happy hour tour sometime in the future.

~ Coach P

• @Coach Patrick wanted to check in as I'm a few weeks from transitioning to next sequence. Will end the 6-week bike plan on July 5 - just in time to transition to the Build Your Best Bike plan on July 6! (Signed up today.) Sara doesn't understand why I prefer to sweat it out in the garage instead of riding outdoors but I like the convenience of Zwift and low-effort of going from zero-to-wko in seconds; and because I'm lazy. I'm level 29 in Zwift and have been up l'Alpe so many times that I've lost count (and still no wheels!). Excited to see how the BYBB plan fits into this season. Also wondering about jumping into the DIY triathlon even though Traverse City might still happen??? Not much new to report on numbers. Have been mainly following the plan and doing a little supplementing with additional volume here & there. The 160-mile months in April & May are likely peaks for me - I'll be a bit short in June but not concerned. The big difference for me is getting over 800 miles in a month on the bike. A lot of these are "Zwift" miles which I think exaggerate a bit since I seem to get a few extra MPH on the trainer on average than I do outdoors. Regardless, definitely getting more time on the bike than ever before.

Now that pools in the area are starting to open (and I never did get into the tethered swimming like Sara did), I would like to get your thoughts on swim & run wkos to supplement the BYBB plan as I would still like to race either TC70.3 or the DIY at the end of August.

• @Ross Randolph

If you use your Garmin computer, make sure it is connected to the power source you want to use, turn off auto-pause, and use 1 second recording.

If you want to use the Zwift ride file. Check your computer first - if you have recent files in your Zwift activities folder then we know that your Zwift ride files are getting back to your computer. If you don't have any ride files in your activities folder. We will have to talk with Patrick or Brian Hagan to figure out your computer and iPhone connectivity. I'm sorry I'm just not that familiar with it.

Ross here is the overall workout: Everything is seated.

Block 1:

12' Warm-up

2x 6 sec sprints w/ 75 sec recovery (these practice to get your seated sprint gearing right

8' recovery

2' low watt lead-in, followed by 20 sec sprint.

8' recovery

2' low watt lead-in followed by 20 sec sprint

12' recovery

3' max effort

5' cool down

Special Execution notes:

Pick Tempus Fugit. It is the flatest course. The 20 second sprints are a little tricky to execute. The test requires a 90-120 second lead in with less than 0.5 W/kg. This is because the test requires minimal activation of your energy systems before you sprint. So, you have to peddle really, really, stupid, easy. Barely any pressure on the pedals, just enough to keep your clock and rider moving on the screen for 2' minutes. It is really like 20-40 watts. You will get the hang of it.

After those 2' of super slow. You sprint. Like crazy. That is what the first 6 second sprints are for. The are not part of the test. They are practice for the super slow part, and for you to practice gearing for the SEATED sprint.

The test is the 20 second sprints. We do it twice. We will use the best one. Again, we need the 2' low watt lead in, and then the sprints. For the test sprints, we want max power in the first 5-6 seconds and then go as hard as you can for the reminder of the time. SEATED.

After the sprints, the execution gets much easier.

You have one more test interval. The 3' max effort. You can roll into that one from your recovery. No special lead in requirements. 3' max. Done. Cool down.

Block 2 is also easier to execute. The 6' and 10' intervals are from a rolling start. Just start hammering once your are finished with the recovery. The 6 second sprints are just for warm up. They are not part of the test.

Block 2:

7' Warm-up,

2x 6 sec sprints w/ 75 sec recovery (these practice to get your seated sprint gearing right

8' recovery

6' max effort

20' recovery

10' max effort

5' cool down

• Thanks, Matt. I think I have what I need. I’m assuming let the data file run over the course of the test without using the “lap” function?

Also, I realized my Final Surge plan ends today. Is there a FS plan associated with the Best Bike camp? Or will I just load them manually?

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 5, 2020, at 7:20 PM, matt limbert wrote:

[Endurance Nation Community]

@Ross Randolph

If you use your Garmin computer, make sure it is connected to the power source you want to use, turn off auto-pause, and use 1 second recording.

If you want to use the Zwift ride file. Check your computer first - if you have recent files in your Zwift activities folder then we know that your Zwift ride files are getting back to your computer. If you don't have any ride files in your activities folder. We will have to talk with Patrick or Brian Hagan to figure out your computer and iPhone connectivity. I'm sorry I'm just not that familiar with it.

Ross here is the overall workout: Everything is seated.

Block 1:

12' Warm-up

8' recovery

2' low watt lead-in, followed by 20 sec sprint.

8' recovery

2' low watt lead-in followed by 20 sec sprint

12' recovery

3' max effort

5' cool down

Special Execution notes:

Pick Tempus Fugit. It is the flatest course. The 20 second sprints are a little tricky to execute. The test requires a 90-120 second lead in with less than 0.5 W/kg. This is because the test requires minimal activation of your energy systems before you sprint. So, you have to peddle really, really, stupid, easy. Barely any pressure on the pedals, just enough to keep your clock and rider moving on the screen for 2' minutes. It is really like 20-40 watts. You will get the hang of it.

After those 2' of super slow. You sprint. Like crazy. That is what the first 6 second sprints are for. The are not part of the test. They are practice for the super slow part, and for you to practice gearing for the SEATED sprint.

The test is the 20 second sprints. We do it twice. We will use the best one. Again, we need the 2' low watt lead in, and then the sprints. For the test sprints, we want max power in the first 5-6 seconds and then go as hard as you can for the reminder of the time. SEATED.

After the sprints, the execution gets much easier.

You have one more test interval. The 3' max effort. You can roll into that one from your recovery. No special lead in requirements. 3' max. Done. Cool down.

Block 2 is also easier to execute. The 6' and 10' intervals are from a rolling start. Just start hammering once your are finished with the recovery. The 6 second sprints are just for warm up. They are not part of the test.

Block 2:

7' Warm-up,

8' recovery

6' max effort

20' recovery

10' max effort

5' cool down
  • @Ross Randolph - This week is really the only one with the truly structured workouts. I will load up the heartland pointing towards Traverse City for you. We can then manipulate things as needed!

• @Ross Randolph -- hey, thanks for reaching out and for sorting out all of this computer stuff with us online! I know it's not easy, but we are going to get you up to speed and much faster in just a few weeks, I promise.

In the meantime, since Traverse City has been canceled, I have loaded the bike focused half iron plan to end on August 30. You can follow this plan during the bike him to get ready. You would replace any given bike workout with the schedules work out that we give you.

So for this week, you'll replace the intervals with the testing that you're doing during the week, and you can replace the Saturday work out with our group ride. It's pretty intuitive! You can certainly run as the program dictates, that's fine. Let me know what you think.

• @Coach Patrick @matt limbert completed first test this morning. Link to workout from Garmin connect: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/5196730802

Final Surge has a bug that if you as my coach load the workouts I can't make any modifications (doh!); it won't allow me to edit. I have to delete all of them and reload it myself. If I put them in then I can make the modifications. I will do that and put in the bike-focused HIM for those dates. That will allow me to modify to fit the bike plan.

I also have access to a pool now so I can do the swim workouts which I've been looking forward to finally getting back in the H2O. Am thinking about breaking up the run frequency & intensity a bit as well to hit same overall mileage but without impacting the bike focus build. Thoughts?

• @Ross Randolph Boom! Nice work getting block 1 of your test done. 👊Thanks for sharing the workout link. It looks good from the outset, but we can't use that link for the test. 🤣 We need the actual workout file. Here is a video on how to download the original workout file from Garmin connect.

Download the file and sent it to us. I'll check it out and let know how it looks.

• @matt limbert despite being an engineer (or at least was one - now I just manage them), clearly I am not up with technology. Here is the file.

Let me know if you can read the data. Should be 1-minute increments.

• @Ross Randolph You are all set! You really crushed it! Nice work. 👊

• @matt limbert File #2. I noticed the INSCYD instructions were to do a 12-minute test but we only did 10 minutes?

• @Ross Randolph We can use a range. Good catch. 10' is enough. Can I get your birthday?

• 9/25/1975.

From: matt limbert [mailto:teamenforums+d23888-s6029573@gmail.com]
    Sent: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 7:53 PM
    To: Randolph, Ross G
    Subject: Re: [Endurance Nation Community] Ross Randolph Official Coach Thread

[Endurance Nation Community]

@Ross Randolph We can use a range. Good catch. 10' is enough. Can I get your birthday?
  • @Ross Randolph - The folks at INSCYD are constantly tweaking the process. Like interrogation, you can offer. As they get more and more results they're learning faster and using that accordingly. I promise, you do not have to go back out and do a 12 minute test! 😱

• @Coach Patrick @matt limbert ready to start the 12-week block you recommended from Best Bike Camp. (I wanted to wait until after DIY this past weekend.) I went to download the Zwift WKO's but once I got there was overwhelmed with the options. (There are over a dozen VLAMax & Lactate Shuttle wkos available.) How should I go about selecting these? And is there a faster or more efficient way to download all of these or is the only option one at a time?

• @Ross Randolph - hey, I see the group helps you out. I don't have them as mass download options because you would only do one or two of those a week, so you only need 24 not all 124 of them. But that's really up to you. The guidance for your training lives inside the final report that we handed out.

I took some screenshots and pasted them below for you. You can see that the first block is about the O2 on Tuesdays and Thursdays. There's a risk in between, and the opportunity to go longer on the weekend. Check it out and let me know what questions you have!

• @Coach Patrick I completed Block 1 and am now in Block 2 of the plan above. I want to maximize the impact of the training. Here are my top questions:

1. I generally have 60-90 minutes per bike sessions during the week and up to 3-4 hours on weekend depending on family stuff. I have been selecting 60 minute versions of VO2 (Short & Long) and then doing FatMax effort to fill up the rest of the time. Now that I am in Block 2, I am switching to Lactate Shuttling and VO2 Long workouts. I'm not sure which of the template wko's I should be selecting. For example, I have 3 weeks left before Block 3. So which VO2 Long and Lactate Shuttling workouts are best for me if I have 60-90 minutes per bike session? And should I be doing the same one or should they be getting harder each week? (i.e., is there a special sequence we should follow)
    2. I am continuing to run 25-30 miles per week. Looking for advice on running while doing the VLaMa program. My approach has been little to no intensity - maybe a harder session (Z3/Z4) once per week and then almost everything else at or above TRP pace. Is there a good run durability program I could or should layer on top of the VLaMax program?
    3. I am also swimming 2 - 4 times per week, depending on when the pool is open (has been closed a lot lately due to poor air quality in the Bay Area). I don't have any real program or goals here other than part of cross training. Any thoughts on that? I only get 45 minutes in the pool at a time so can't do a whole lot in that time.
    4. I'm not super worried about 2021 racing yet as still waiting to see if/when things start opening up. Hawaii 70.3 in June is next one up. Should I plan to do the November OutSeason then? And if so, how can that work with my VLaMax plan overlap? Should I test at the end of this training block and before the OS or wait until later?
  • @Ross Randolph - thanks for checking in!

#1 I suggest that you go ahead with VO2 long 2.1 session and add FAT MAX time to that (this will be tough)....but the Lactate Shuttle can be the 3.1 sessions to start with. You progress 3.1, then 3.2, then 3.2, then 3.3.

#2 The run you have going on right now is awesome. Love 30mpw average. I recommend one day off (Sunday could work) and then make the progress as follows:

• Mon - Quality Run Day (Z3 work or Z3 on hills)
    • Tues - Best Bike Day + TRP run
    • Wed - Longer run day, TRP
    • Thu - Best Bike Day + TRP run
    • Fri - Longer run day, TRP
    • Sat - Long bike, brick run.
    • Sun - Long run, feel free to push it. Swim recovery?

#3 the swim is really a bonus session here. I think that you can set some micro goals in there with regards to technique / skill. For example, working on 3 count breathing vs 2 count. Working on Stroke rate. Improving body position or key part of your stroke. I would include 500 of "work" in each session (10x50, 5x100, 2x250) but otherwise it's just being smoother. Let me know what you think.

#4 do you have options here with regards to the and Susan. If you start it now, then you get a chance to take a break afterwards and do the full 12-week build up into 70.3 Hawaii. If you continue with the durability focus in Best Bike camp style work, then he would only do 10 weeks of the old season and then transition into 10 maybe 12 weeks of the half hour and plan into Hawaii. For me the decision really falls down to your engagement with the Best Bike workouts. Do you like the engagement is good and you're getting a good return on that time, I would rather continue that uninterrupted. I believe that type of work rates higher on the import scale than "just" the Outseason. What do you think?

Testing would happen in the end of the 12 weeks...but we can also swag your progress at that time and instead defer testing to closer to the JAN OS start.

~ Coach P