Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Patrick Large Official Coach Thread

Comments

• Options
    @Patrick Large - Total bummer to hear that your foot is still a problem have you made any progress with it or are we still stuck in the same place? I only ask because maybe it’s time to change up the approach.

I think the best place to put that is in the Clubhouse forum so people don’t feel like you’re being over-the-top with your request. I personally really enjoyed learning more about effective organization’s and the Forte are meeting a little more about what you’ve discovered!
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick  Thanks for the quick reply.  My foot is much better now may give it one more day until I get back on the run.  I think the issue with the long recovery is that it is the foot/ankle and used all day.  It's very hard without a boot it keep it immobile.

I will need to look at my season and see if there needs to be any adjustments.  If you remember my A races are late in the season HIM and HM and all I want to do is show up healthy.  That will be a big victory.

Lastly thanks for the advice on the Charity post.  Although we are very charitable as a family, I have issues with charities where the "CEO" has a deep 6 or 7 figure salary.  This one is small(er) and all the directors have full time jobs.  And seriously the only time I have ever raised money and for a charity, raced with the directors, and then have them say "over the past 8 months we have raised 10K and next month I am flying to Africa to help build 3 schools for children". It's really pretty impressive.
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick is it possible to get a call on the books one of these days? I forget what team members are allotted an if I qualify.
  • Options
    @Patrick Large - Yes indeed, as an “new were” remember you have pretty open contact with me for the first six months. Open to the training tab on the website you will see a space to make a coach call and you can set it up using that link. Can’t wait!

PS please know that I am traveling April 13 to the 24th For our Mallorca cycling camp and vacation with my family so it may be a little challenging.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2018 9:48PM
    @patrick large

Great to talk with you this week!!!

Here is what I think you should do for you reintegration using the Endurance Nation training plans. 
    • On 4/09/2018 Load the Beginner Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 05/20/2018
    • On 5/21/2018 Load the Beginner Half Plan to end on 09/09/2018
    • On 9/10/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 9/23/2018
    • >> Work in the 09/23/2018    Dam to Dam 10 miler <<
    • 10/21/2018    TCS Amsterdam Half Marathon  (A race)
    • On 10/22/2018 Connect with Coach P for next steps!!!
    This means that you'll be adding 3 "Earlier" weeks to the Half Plan. This is totally fine, just more of a heads up for you there. 

For the short term the Bike Focus, Intermediate level plan is the way to go. It has three runs a week (spaced out!) and plenty of good biking in there. Especially the back-to-back weekend rides if you can make those happen given your schedule. During the week, you could substitute a commute ride where you push the pace a bit / as needed. 

The strength stuff should happen 3x a week (maybe pre run to warm up the glutes / hips?) for the time being. 

I think this is the best path for you..lemmeno what you think!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick   I am also racing Challenge Almere on September 8th, That is a HIM distance and also an "A" race.  I am not sure why that one never makes it on to the schedule.  Maybe I need go back and set my season.  Please let me know if this schedule is still appropriate with that race added.  
  • Options
    @Patrick Large so sorry for that. So HIM on 8/9 and one on 9/8!!

given the proximity of those two Half iron races, we will need to check in while you are recovering in August to decide the next best steps!! 

Moving from HIM #2 to a Half Marathon is pretty easy, so no worries there!

how does your body feel?
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick  Man this is too funny-  There is only 1 HIM on the books and it is for Sept 8th. I think the confusion here is that in the US September 8th is written 9/8/2018 and here in Europe it is written 8/9/2018  :)
  • Options
    OMG I am going to explode. This is the exact calendar thing you had mentioned on the phone...third and final fix is the charm!!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick  My outlook on my PC is still all set up to be in the US, so I juggle that all day long.  As well as converting USD to Euro, and 14:00 to 2PM
  • Options
    I’m laughing/ not laughing  as going to Spain tell me back last week has totally crushed my scheduling abilities. I have complete sympathy for your situation.  😂 
  • Options

@Patrick Large - Great to talk again today on the phone. Even better to be so future-focused! 🤩

Macro Level Stuff: May 1, 2019 - Target a 100km Ultra (62 miles)

Incremental Phases:

• Sept / Oct / Nov = Run Durability + Strength
    • Dec / Jan = Intermediate Distance Training (20k, 30k events) + One Volume Week of Running
    • Feb / Mar / Apr = Ultra Plan into your Race

• So, starting with Part One: Sept / Oct / Nov = Run Durability + Strength
    1. Start with the Run Durability Program Now. Goal is to figure out run frequency and general scheduling of strength and self care. Strength should include the PT to work on Core and Hip Flexors and Glutes, aka time in Gym is OK.
    2. Load RDP Two - In this phase we will add the bike work we discussed, perhaps even using it as an intensity tool.
    3. Load RDP Three - This phase we are aiming for a run streak....we can decide when we get here, and all runs count (even a mile!). This is the finishing touch before we get to extending the run distances.

Keep me posted on your early progress and please load in those "alternate" sessions when you do them (or Strava will post them) so I can see your basic weekly flow!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Thanks again for the time yesterday. Thinking about this and looks like the end game is Leadville 100. (I am guessing 2020??).

As we discussed in the short term, goal is to keep fit and healthy.

I'll nail down a definite race this week and will get it logged into the portal you can make an actual roadmap.

In the meantime I'll see you in the forums.

• Options

perfect! as you know from the Forjms, the Team has quite a few recommendations on how to make that happen. but first, 2019!!

standing by...

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Done and Done

Now the work starts!!!

Zugspitz 100KM Ultratrail- June 16th 2019

About 6 weeks later than what we thought, but I am OK with that. Once you a blueprint to me, I will start to "training races" on the books as well. Also maybe a 50KM (31 miles) race when training really heats up.

• Options

@Patrick Large -

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Races

• Zugspitz 100KM Ultratrail- June 16th 2019

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 09/06/2018
    • On 9/3/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 9/30/2018
    • On 10/1/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/28/2018
    • On 10/29/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/25/2018
    • On 11/26/2018 Load the -- Marathon [Balanced], 24 Weeks to end on 2/24/2019
    • On 2/25/2019 Load the -- UltraRun Plan (16 wks) to end on 6/16/2019

Coach Notes

1. Start with the Run Durability Program Now. Goal is to figure out run frequency and general scheduling of strength and self care. Strength should include the PT to work on Core and Hip Flexors and Glutes, aka time in Gym is OK.
    2. Load RDP Two - In this phase we will add the bike work we discussed, perhaps even using it as an intensity tool.
    3. Load RDP Three - This phase we are aiming for a run streak....we can decide when we get here, and all runs count (even a mile!). This is the finishing touch before we get to extending the run distances.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Thanks for this for. Like I told my kids this weeks. It's only the first week of school, but you guys are crushing it :)

Quick recap For the week. 1. Nutrition is on point. Tons of fruits and veggies, good fat, lean meats, all at normal proportions. Zero bread or pasta! I know for some it does nothing but this really helps me and I feel great. My body is actually super responsive to "good stuff" so weight and body fat % is already dropping. 2. Run on Monday was a little too much too soon. My calves were really sore for a couple of days. Good news is they feel pretty good and it gave me the chance to work through it.

Extremely excited for this new adventure. I've been talking about it non stop to neighbors, friends, kids coaches, etc So there are a LOT of people who can keep me accountable. Got the Ok from the misses (HUGE). I know it's a LONG time away but started thinking of a crew- A shoulder man to cry on, a muscle/massage man, and a coach figure who can say "move your ass!!"

Lastly- I really dig final surge. I didnt realize and think that all my comments also come to you. Sorry about that, I didnt mean to hit you with that, nor do you have to know every small detail. With that said I log workout notes in another section and will use the comments only when I want your input. Is that cool? Correct Protocol?

• Options

@Coach Patrick

I would like to get a build race or two on the books. Maybe a 50KM before the big day. Working backwards... when should a race like that be? I want to start researching that as well.

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Not sure if you want to put these on the calendar as they are "training days", but...

Nov. 18th 15KM Race- "Zevenheuvelenloop" this literally translates to "7 Hills Race" the name says it all.

Also looking into a half Marathon in Jan, where half of it is on the beach. Trying to pic all the really hard leg draining races as hard training days for Zugspitz.

• Options

@Patrick Large I see the race for NOV in Final Surge already...nice! I think that a 50k run would be great in April or May...it doesn't have to be "that far" in advance, but rather part of your build. Remember, you could also use a "regular" marathon as that's a pretty good 50k approximation!

I am really excited to hear the calves have come around. The "reentry" phase of running can be tough. We'll want to continue listening to your body, but only to adjust training to make progress still a priority. I always prefer smart early decisions vs too late drastic action!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick

thanks for the above. I wans't sure if I was going to put that race in Final surge as it will really be a training day.

I am definitely going to run the Mid January half marathon as it is half on the beach and from what I have heard, that isn't even the hardest part. Again treating this as a HARD training day.

Also, if I am putting them in Final Surge, should I let you know on the thread as well, to put the in my road map? I am not sure if you want to as all these I am using as training day races. Let me know.

• Options

I see only really put them here on the thread if they are event that we need to modify our training for. If they are just things you want to do along the way then let’s just keep them in the calendar.

I can feel your excitement all the way across the ocean! 😊

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Exactly what I thought. Even the 50KM that I want to do... will still be part of the double long run weekends. When is the longest peak week running week is in the Ultra plan? May I can shoot for that week.

• Options

Hey @Coach Patrick

I sent you a coaches not on FS, but wasn't sure which one was easiest or quickest.

I am thinking about a 17KM (10 miles) trail race on Oct 28th. This would be the last day of Run Durability Phase 2 and thought I would sub this race for my long run. BUT long run prescribed is 1:10 and this would be longer. Too much too soon or OK to do??

Thanks for your advice.

• Options

@Patrick Large - for race changes like this, you should always reach out to me here in the forms. That way I can give it some more time and attention.

I think the idea of that run is perfect. I would make sure that your Saturday is fairly light so you have the ability to observe the work of race day. If we don’t talk before then have a blast and please take some pictures!

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Yes that is what I thought There is also a 25KM (15 miler) Night trail run in Feb that I am interested in. I am assuming that that is OK as well.

It's so crazy these races are like 25 euro.

• Options

Yessir that’s ok. You can add that right to Final Surge as an event so we have it in the record even if it isn’t something we are specifically building towards.

• Options

Hey @Coach Patrick I am looking at another 100K on 26 October of this year. Can you map out what training would look like?

100K with 3000m vert (9842ft).

The same amount of climbing as Zugspitz, but stretched out over 100K not 65K

• Options

Hey @Coach Patrick I am not sure if I am due one, but would love a 15 min call with you. Can we make it happen??

• Options

@Patrick Large I swear I sent you a message yesterday somewhere in these forms, with regards to your build up for the next race, did you see that one? If you want a formal build up, then I ask that you submit your race via our online form here: http://bit.ly/yourraces that puts it into my queue and helps me keep everything on track.

Under the training tab on the website there’s a link for a coach call and on that page you’ll see all of the different options that you have so you can pick the right one based off of where you are at, etc. onwards!!!