Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Hawaii (Kona)
Options

How to Prepare for the Kona Trip

edited November 16, 2017 8:44PM in Ironman Hawaii (Kona)
Once you qualify for Kona, you actually need to take care off all the stuff related to GETTING and BEING there...no small feat, and not cheap at all, as you will soon discover. Here are my tips for you.

Overview Video

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/868inwo189

Resources for Your Family / When In Kona
We have created a basic guide on all things Kona. You'll find at least one thing cool here that will make your trip even better!!

>> view it online here 

Flights & Car

I recommend you fly direct to Kona vs flying to Honolulu, etc, and then "island hopping" over. It's a nightmare, esp with your bike on a smaller plane.  

The sooner you can get there to acclimate the better...ideal window is arriving the Friday before (makes for a 10 day trip).

Rent a Jeep (can hold 3 folks plus bike box) for your transport. Allows you to park anywhere like the locals and very durable. If you are really on it, request the Soft Top so you can enjoy the sunshine and even transport your bike sticking out the back (not a good idea to leave your bike inside your open Jeep).  :D  If you have more than three people and bags, you can always make two trips to the airport...

Power User Tip: When you land, have your family claim stuff while you jump on the shuttle to beat the crowd to the rental place...then return with the car to pick them up!

Your Bike
I recommend flying with your bike to Kona. Being able to train on your bike for the final three weeks into your race is almost mandatory. Given that some transport services take your bike three plus weeks pre race it just makes sense. Bonus if you fly a great airline like Alaska Air that only charges $25 one way for you bike. 

Lodging to Consider
There are quite a few places you can stay like hotels (@tim cronk stays at the Holiday Inn Express in downtown Kona, for example), most of the Air BnB and VRBO houses are bait and switch set ups. There are corporate run resorts or agencies (see below) that can help you out and you are just "done" with it. Make sure your place has Air Conditioning as you'll want it.

Admin Stuff
  • If you arrive early, do the Ho'ala practice swim the Saturday before race day. You need to register by 8/15 for this.
  • Plan on the Underpants Run because it's a tradition...you can register morning of, just be there early. 
  • Registration opens on Tuesday, and it's usually 9a to 2p...during that time there's a bike check in front of the hotel. 
  • Monday to Friday there is Gatorade Bag Check in AM, 7 to 9 for sure, maybe 10, where they will watch your stuff. 
  • You can time bike check with bag check to have your stuff taken care of. 
  • Try to avoid riding / driving on Alii starting on Wednesday as it's just too damn crowded.
  • Best place to eat / chill during the day is Daylight Mind cafe next to the Expo area. 
  • Best yummy / chill eats at night + drinks is Huggos on the Rocks.
  • Best date restaurant ($$$$) is the ULU Ocean Grill...amazing food on the beach (ask to sit outside). 
  • In Hawi you have to eat at Sweet Potato Cafe.
  • To ride to Hawi you can park at the Waikoloa Resort (60 mile round trip) or up just after the turn on 270 (36 mile round trip, side of the road parking). 

Anyone else??!!!
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Lodging Choice- 1st floor rules- We stayed on the 1st floor of the Holiday Inn Express , you are in and out 100 times in those 10 days pre-race, going to swim, bike, run, register, bike check in, meet EN'ers and events, and it get really old walking far , going up stairs , and waiting for elevators.

Food- Island Naturals- Is a local healthy natual foods store with hotbar, saladbar, prepared/prepackaged foods for all eating choices... Expensive but great place to eat but not shop...  Walmart, Cosco, Safeway for more affordable shopping.
  • Options
    Metal Mike's Twisted Pretzels.    
  • Options
    Alaska Airlines has a credit card that gets you a companion fare at $99 + Tax...so we use that and take the family of four for the price of two...the savings practically pays for our lodging...
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick that is the best tip so far!
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick This is just awesome help! Thank you for taking the time to do this. I'm all over it!  
  • Options
    @Donnacha Holmes of course!!! Also, note that we are revamping Elite*EN for the 2018 season to point towards Kona. So if you decide to remain enrolled in it, you'll get access to the Kona Gear ($400 swim skin from Roka for example, plus much more) as well as all the coaching and stuff....more on that soon!

• Options
    Great Stuff P.
  • Options
    this is all great, now I really have to figure out how to qualify  :'(
  • Options
    I'm with @Scott Dinhofer ... gotta get there first!  Should be there 2020 on the Legacy program and able to come early and do the whole 10 day thing.  But if lightning strikes and I make it in 2018, it's going to be a truncated, show up Wed, and leave Sun - due to a wedding I need to make in Vermont the week before.   Meanwhile, I recommend you put this in the Wiki. 

Another great resource for IM Hawaii logistics is the annual guide put out by 'KonaCoffee' on ST. 
  • Options
    Several properties offer a senior discount ... age 50+ gets you a 10%
  • Options
    Question for the Kona vets on how soon to leave the island after Saturday's race day.  We'd like to hop to Maui after the race ... is Sunday too early to leave ... are there still team activities to stay for?  Trying to figure whether to look at a Sunday afternoon flight or a Monday flight
  • Options
    @Paul Curtin - I’d bolt on Sunday. The race shuts down almost instantly. Expo closes Saturday, only thing open on Sunday is the IM merch tents, which were empty except for a few neon pink shirts in 3XL. The big considerations are your bike and available time. If you have another bike for your last few big workouts, I would go TBT, then drop if off at TBT on Saturday night post-race like I did.  Breaking down, boxing up and lugging a bike around on multiple flights = sucks.  The awards ceremony is Sunday night, but after going to the opening ceremony this year, I’d skip both from now on. Way too big (3,000), crowded, $$ and fed like cattle. And, frankly, after a week+ on a hot rock, I would have loved a few days/week in glorious Maui. If you have two weeks to spare, could be a dream vaca. Hawaiian has 3-4 flights that are a simple little 20-min hop. 
  • Options
    I agree with @Mike Roberts.   I left Sunday night on the red eye back to the mainland.   I missed the closing ceremony but didn't care too much.   All else equal I would spend more time in advance vs. after the race if you want to have your best race   If you are just taking the quick hop to Maui there would be no problem at all leaving Monday for the very short flight.   And TBT is a MUST...one less thing to worry about.  

• Options
    Having been a spectator there, completely agree with above.. If I had the time, I'd spend another week in Maui too!
  • Options
    Excellent, thank you Mike/Jeremy/Scott
  • Options
    We snorkeled after the race on Sunday and had an easy day lounging around. I packed my bike back up for travel home. We flew out Mon and the airport was a ZOO. Traffic to get there, and forever to check in since every other person had a bike and their process for paying is not fast. I was nowhere  near the podium this year, but if I had an optimal day I could have made it so want to stay through Sun, just in case. We skipped the awards ceremony because we had a group dinner with a lot of non-racers, but I think I would have enjoyed the show if I had went.
  • Options
    Added link to "Family To Do" items to the original post ^above^
  • Options
    Thanks @Paul Curtin I just entered there now 
  • Options
    Highly recommend the Ho'ala swim if your gonna be there.  Sign up early as it sold out last year for the first time ever.  Its easy enough to bandit and swim with the race like I did last year, but its cheap and worth getting an official time.
  • Options
    It was $35, plus a small Active.com fee.  It comes with a t-shirt.  That's an easy call.

@matt limbert is already signed up as well
  • Options
    For the newly qualified Kona peeps, including @Jeremy Behler and @Derrek Sanks ... here's a tip for rental cars

The major car rental companies have slim pickings at super-high prices, so consider a carsharing company such as Turo.  Their operating model is similar to Airbnb

I'd avoid sites that serve only as booking agents.  They have supply agreements with rental car companies, and will show you low prices, but when everything is overbooked they'll get stiffed, and then they'll cancel your reservation
  • Options
    From a thread on slowtwitch.  If you are not taking the recommended approach or can't fly directly to Kona.  Note that Hawaiian Airlines no longer accepts soft shell bike cases http://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/60/ 

Further Delta requires a limited release form for anything other than a hard shell bike case: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/baggage/before-your-trip/special-items.html :  

"If the bicycle is packaged in a hard shell case specifically designed for transporting bicycles, then a limited release form is not required.

If the bicycle is packaged in a soft sided travel bag or anything other than a hard shell case, a limited release form will need to be signed."

• Options
    Pissed off at ^that^ development arising a day after I bought a ticket with a Hawaiian leg on the flight ... and a return on Delta ....
  • Options
    I went with TBT to keep things simple.  The only drawback is not having my regular bike those last 10 days of training
  • Options
    I've never been to Kona but I second TBT. Used them for IM Cozumel and when traveling with family it is so nice not to worry about bike. Costs about same or possibly cheaper w escalating bike fees. Good luck everyone.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 4, 2018, at 6:45 AM, Paul Curtin > wrote:

WARNING: This email originated from outside the organization. Please validate the sender's email address and do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and are expecting the message.

[Endurance Nation Community]

I went with TBT to keep things simple. The only drawback is not having my regular bike those last 10 days of training
  • Options

Update on the soft-bag embargo by Hawaiian:  Dan Empfield has confirmation from the airline that this policy will be suspended during October . look for a ST article soon. 

One fewer travel headache!

• Options

Ha! Typical! Just after I go and buy a new hard case! 😬

• Options

@Coach Patrick You mentioned that we might have some group workouts/events on the island (i.e. Ho'ala practice swim, run the energy lab or the ride to Hawi)? What kind of things do you have planned or recommend the week before?