Home General Training Discussions
Options

Boomer (Virtual Meet Up) Idea....

Comments

• Options
    Of course I'm interested in this group.  My long term goal is to continue IM for another 10 years with my very last 140.6 at the 50th Anniversary of IM Hawaii in October, 2028 ... the same month that I will turn 71.  By that age, there are many races with only a handful of entrants in the M70-74.  Just toeing the starting line is a victory in your 70s and I want to be one of the few who can do it.   But 10 years from now is a long time, so I'm interested in everything that will help me get there.  
  • Options
    @Paul Hough

You stole my 10 year training plan
  • Options
    Well of course I am in..... The funny thing is I've already met most of the people who responded to this thread!
  • Options
    Thanks @Juan Vergara and @Al Truscott for your thoughts!  Fyi Al, I am finishing, this Friday, a 2 1/2 week ski vacation!
  • Options
    Chiming in from a 55+ community if Florida!  Sign me up!  I am seeing so many truly older folks (I"m a mere 54---an age up year!) in this community and seeing them moving very slowly makes me so grateful for everything I CAN do.  Yeah, I still wanna do it faster and better as I have definitely seen changes in the last five years while training the EN way.  I have had ups and downs, and not all are are related to age.  Many are life related.  Excited to learn with you all to maximize what I can as the game constantly changes!  
  • Options
    I need team support for staying on a strength routine.  That would definitely be easier if I was retired.
  • Options
    I like many others I'm sure came to the IM game late.  At 50, my body reacts like its much older because I never had a base in running or cycling.  I am always up for learning from the more experienced OFs.
  • Options
    Sign me up!  I'm another late comer to endurance sport and I'd like continue to improve for as long as that's possible.  So much to learn from the smart folks here.
  • Options
    I'm interested!  Looking forward to it. 
  • Options
    OKAY BOOMERS...so impressed...to move this forward, here's what I have done...

Using the Shared Document I have taken your topics and organized them into five themes. Each them will have several topics. I see each Theme being something akin to a "Course" with each Topic being like a "Class."

Some of these "classes" could be led by some of you, some by me, some perhaps by an outside expert we bring in. 

Right now I need you to enter the document and please add some additional topics to the themes I have outlined. 

You can put other ideas in the "parking lot" at the bottom if you don't think they fit...

Again, here's the link...thanks team!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Sounds great.....the virtual meeting needs to take place by 8 pm latest.....I go to bed at 9 pm
  • Options
    OK...I added 2 ideas to the Parking Lot, 4 new topics, and added to 4 others. In particular, I re-wrote the "10 day vs 7 day periodization" topic to allow for a broader range of ways to modify plans. 

I'm beginning to see this as a monthly group video chat. Selfishly, I would suggest the 2nd Monday of every month @ 8 Eastern/5 Pacific for an hour. Mondays are usually the "easiest" day in the EN plans.
  • Options
    That time works for me...sure I can stay up a bit later that night
  • Options
    I added a couple, can’t wait!
  • Options
    OK, so my suggestions are tongue-in-cheek... but have been consuming my thoughts recently as I lie injured and plotting my dominance of M60-64 next season ;-)
  • Options
    @Al Truscott, I love the idea of the video chat. I am not retired yet and my workday usually begins  @ 3:45 a.m. If We moved the chat to Thursday or Friday I could handle the 8 pm start. 
  • Options
    I've added a parking lot topic: SAU management in conjunction with "destination" training and racing events.

Assuming we have some lead-time, I could likely make any virtual/video sessions times work ... looking forward to it!

@Edwin Croucher Protect & Serve!
  • Options
    How about a podcast format?  We could have 3-4 athletes and cover and handful of topics.  Panel style would work well -- I'd be happy to moderate the first one  
  • Options
    Paul -

I love the idea of the "panel" as well... Not that you have to be experts,
    but just that you have to be prepared to speak for a few minutes on what
    you know / have learned / researched.

I still see some sessions as having a solo presenter or perhaps an expert,
    but this is really shaping up to be FANTASTIC.

I'll give you guys until friday on the topics, then we can sort out some
    type of "order" as well as which topics are what type of event. I can do
    the "expert" ones or "coach" ones independently, to complement some of the
    group/discussion work as well...

~ Patrick
  • Options
    Well Brenda, Steve and I train together and live near each other, we could do a podcast on a few topics ...just need to check with them.... @Steve Ross, @Brenda Ross
  • Options

Topics of interest that come to mind:
    • Monitoring recovery in the EN plans - signs to back off
    • Quantity of threshold work necessary to maintain V02
    • Sarcopenia - how to treat
    • Lab work to stay on top of - particularly Lipid panels
    • Hydration and thirst mechanisms of Master athletes
    • 10 day vs 7 day periodization training model (Al)
    • Race pacing - RPE, Watts, HR - which is most effective if durability is a limiter?

The above were my first thoughts that I would be glad to cover (ones n bold)
    @John Culberson , you would be a fantastic resource on these topics.

• Options
    Great idea, I'll be 67 this year and feel Pretty good, although I do have the speed of someone who is 67! Where did all that speed go? really look forward to this meeting, 
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2018 4:58PM
    On the subject of lab work, I'd be interested in managing blood sugars and insulin sensitivity. I was in pretty bad shape when I started triathlon 5 years ago - high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and marginal blood sugars. The first two have resolved themselves but I still am sitting at the high-end of normal on the blood sugars. I don't know if this is of general interest, but if anyone has experience with this I'd be interested in a topic like "Alterations to training and racing nutrition when you are managing high blood sugars." 
  • Options
    Very late to this circle of fine smouldering whiskey and wine group. Can"t say I crush things but then again I have been crushed sorta. This is a potential great venue to hear and explore "real time aging it's today's affect/effects of our stresses our sport exerts one's psychy and body. From the babies of 50's to the salties of 70 ish.
  • Options
    Just put a parking lot topic out there. I like the Monday evening time as well.
  • Options
    I've added a couple of ideas to the parking lot.  I also see someone wanted ideas for SAU management when it comes to destination racing.  Hmmm, I am the Supreme Jedi Master on that front.  Yoda regularly seeks my counsel on this topic.  :)
  • Options
    I just saw this thread and am interested. I need to read through it but need to take a nap first. ( that was supposed to be an OF joke ). 
  • Options
    I'm new to the team but old in years. Sounds interesting to me.
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2018 3:51AM
    Okay kids, here you go...vote away...and we'll kick off the party!  Please remember this is community-driven, so be patient. Very excited to continue this journey with you all....

PLEASE VOTE BY FRIDAY 3/9/18

https://endurancenation.wufoo.com/forms/en-boomer-community-learning-initiative/ 

~ Patrick
  • Options
    this topic sounds great.  We can use are humor and wisdom to come up with ideas on  how too at this age
    I'm all in.