Home General Training Discussions
Options

Boomer (Virtual Meet Up) Idea....

Comments

• Options
    Ok - just got caught up! Will attend these as best I can! What a great initiative!
  • Options
    Late to the party but I'm all in. Monday works for me.
    I did a three year build to qualify for Kona and followed that up with an extreme triathlon so this is a recovery year for me.  I bought a mountain bike and have started doing mountain bike races which are fun, technical, and make me forget about everything except the trail right in front of me. They're intense workouts of 70-80 minutes at 98% FTHR (I don't have a power meter on the bike yet) but they don't feel like I'm working that hard while I'm doing it. I'm usually sore all over after they're finished because of the gyrations I have to do to stay upright in the tight turns, mud, and dodging trees. Later this year I'm going to race some longer distances of 30-50 miles to see what that world is like. 
    Where I'm leading to is a parking lot issue of mental fatigue that training brings, especially over a long season or number of years. Like a lot of you, I want to be doing this for a long time and be one of those old people that people look at and say they want to be like that when they're 80 or 90. 
    Another issue that I'll call long cycle periodization, as in, is there a longer periodization of years that we should be thinking about?
    I'm writing this while sitting on a lanai on Maui. During my runs and walks the last few days I've seen a lot of people that just reinforce my desire to keep fit and press the limits even though it's hard.
  • Options
    This is a great idea.  A lot of good stuff being talked about.  After an injury a year ago, I've learned it takes a bit longer to recover.  I'm a firm believer in maintaining you core strength at all costs.  Also in coming back, I've done so with much more care.  Being conservative in my mileage and speed.  Just trying to build at a very moderate pace, doing shorter, fun events that entail single or dual disciplines.  Having fun and staying healthy.  
  • Options
    @Jennifer Eckert Hi !!! Welcome back. 

• Options
    I've been doing this now for 27 going on 28 years. Since I have hit 53, I have had an annual major obstacle to overcome because of my triathlon lifestyle, i.e., back (core problem), melanoma (too much fun in the sun), gastro-intestinal (fiber-dehydration), and now bone spur/plantaar fasciitis.  :#

Each time I work through this "age-related" issue, I think, "whew - glad that's over" and I end up stronger if not smarter each time. Till the next age-related issue hits. Since I don't have a peer group outside of Endurance Nation to compare and discuss, this will be a good chance for me to finally get proactive and learn from the collective experience of all these great athletes! 

Thanks to everyone for helping get this started!  B)
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2018 12:46PM
    Okay Boomers, the results are in...here are your rankings. 

• Self Care / Strength (8 votes)
    • Nutrition (7 votes)
    • Monitoring Your Health (4 votes)
    • Race Execution (3 votes)
    • Training Plans / Season Planning (2 votes)
    • Social Aspect (1 votes)

So session one is Self Care. I say we aim for Monday 4/2 at 8pm EST. Please see the bold stuff below for responsibilities and let me know if this will work for you. I'd like to keep organization here, but if we need to have a sub-section for the panel organization we can do that too. 

It will be a panel with four content parts. Content parts can be live presenter or video, no more than 10', with about 5' for Q and A (if there is a presenter). 

Facilitator
    : Coach Patrick or Paul Martin / TBD.

Part One

•  Sarcopenia - how to treat and prevent
    • Presenter: Needed

Part Two:

• Topic: Setting goals in the face of on-going decrease in speed/pace/power
    • Presenter: Requesting Al Truscott to Present 10' on this.

Part Three / General Health / Dieting

• Topic: Optimal BF% in one’s 60’s and beyond
    • Presenter: Requesting Sheila Leard to Present 10' on this. 

Part Four:
    • Topic: Fighting Common Injuries  
    • Presenter: Patrick can get a presenter / video on this.

Takeaway Items
    • Strength Routines, including passive and dynamic stretching (Patrick will obtain).
  • Options
    Is it possible to amend the BF % discussion to 50s and beyond....
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2018 8:19PM
    Count me in for presenting Part Three Optimal  BF% in 50's and 60's. I can delve into 
    • Anabolic  resistance
    • Protein requirements for daily diet
    • Carb sensitivity and insulin resistance looming
    • Labs to stay on top of.

Suggest @John Culberson present on sarcopenia.

• Options
    I really like the topics and format suggested.  I look forward to all 4.  all 4 are very pertinent for our group, maybe to all age groupers.  
  • Options
    OK, Coach, I'm on board for both the date/time, and preparing 10' on "Setting goals in the face of on-going decrease in speed/pace/power".
  • Options
    I will open my schedule for this.  Please send out a google invite or something similar a few days earlier.  Thanks for pulling this together.  BTW - I had to look up the definition of sarcopenia!  :)
  • Options
    I can do sarcopenia. Luckily, I’m not a basic scientist, so I’ll focus on clinical and functional aspects. I see that this topic is listed as Part 1, and “Self-Care” is not listed on the schedule. I can tweek prevention and treatment of sarcopenia into a more global version of self-care. I can make the meeting on April 2. I have used Zoom once, and someone else was putting up the slides. Set-up was easy, just followed a link. I am not very confident of my tech skills.
  • Options
     If there is an invite, please include me
    thanks
  • Options
    Monday Night is the First Talk...so excited!!!  Consider this your invitation!

Boomer Self Care -- Seminar #1

Monday 4/2 8pm EST on Zoom, link below. You can join via computer or smart phone, video is encouraged. https://zoom.us/j/2572877525  (or enter this number when you join me from your Zoom account: 257-287-7525)

The talk will have four basic sections, listed below. Plan on about 10' of presentation with some time for Q&A and discussion. We can also follow up in the forums as well. 

Part One

•  Sarcopenia - how to treat and prevent
    • Presenter: John Culberson

Part Two:

• Topic: Setting goals in the face of on-going decrease in speed/pace/power
    • Presenter: Al Truscott 

Part Three / General Health / Dieting

• Topic: Optimal BF% in one’s 60’s and beyond
    • Presenter: Sheila Leard 

Part Four

• Topic: Fighting Common Injuries  
    • Presenter: Patrick working on this!

Takeaway Items

• Strength Routines, including passive and dynamic stretching (Patrick will obtain).
  • Options
    Will be in FL, but will try to make it.
  • Options
    I'll be in Florida too!  Will call in but miss the first 30 mins.
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick, I;ve got an outline of what I'm saying. Anyway to easily display via Zoom, or should I just attach it to the thread?
  • Options
    looking forward to talk on sarcopenia tomorrow :)
  • Options
    @Al Truscott @John Culberson @Sheila Leard I will plan on making you "presenter" for your portion of the call, and you should be able to "share your screen" so we can see what you are talking about. That's the best way to go.

Any last minute questions text me today: (617) 513-3830

~ Coach P

Ps See you tonight!
  • Options
     Coach P. Will this be recorded? Can't make it tonight.
  • Options
    @Al Truscott and @John Culberson - I read Joe Friel's "Fast After 50" twice now. On page 46, he talks about "Teleomeres" and how this is an indicator of your real chronological age. Basically, the longer the better and that the length is closely related to a person's VO2 max and therefore high intensity training.

What's your take? Also, how about the entire book?

Thanks,

Joe
  • Options
    @Sheila Leard - could you post what you said about Whey Protein and what to look for? 

Also, my blood test came back at 33.9ng/mL which is at the low end of the 30-100 range. In your presentation I remember you stated that 50 is what we should shoot for. So, would a vitamin D supplement at 1000 IUs/25mcg do the trick?

BTW - great presentation!

Joe
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2018 1:36AM
    @Joe Hallatschek, as I understand the science, telomeres are specific to cell lines, not for a whole organism. E.g., one might have short telomeres in one organ, and longer ones in another.  I believe the article Friel took his comment from relates to muscle biopsies done in young and old men (vastus lateralis muscle), and compared the VO2 max to telomere length in all subjects. The conclusion in the article states: "Our data suggest that VO2max is positively associated with telomere length, and we found that long-term endurance exercise training may provide a protective effect on muscle telomere length in older people."

So when we're saying "Real chronological age", what I think we mean is actually the capability of the muscle to do endurance work. And that study shows that training as an endurance athlete is associated with muscles which appear "younger" in regards to telomere length. No easy way around it: fitness is in the muscles, and you have to do consistent training of them to keep them young.

(Ref: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article/file?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0052769&type=printable)
  • Options
    @Joe Hallatschek I agree with @Al Truscott. It is unclear why telomeres shorten with age, however, there is a genetic component... and it is part of the normal aging process. The molecular signaling that coordinates cellular functioning involves activating genes located on chromosomes with telomeres. The process is very tightly regulated to optimize cell function. Since optimal function of muscle cells translates to strength and efficient use of fuel, it correlates with VO2 max. Appropriate training (stress followed by recovery) and nutrition will maintain this process, while the aging process... and a “loosening” of the cellular regulation, will slowly result in failures... and expression of features (such as shortening telomeres) that represent “typical” (non-EN style) aging. I believe that not only fitness is in the muscles... but that muscle tissue (BTW, the largest mass of telomeres outside of the brain) is the “fountain of youth.”
  • Options
    Thanks all for a great presentation! I have to go back and listen again there was so much good stuff. Very interested in the exercises to help with the rotator cuff tear...i have a partial tear that I want to work with for the season and then have it taken care of if I can't get it strong enough so that it doesn't bother me. I was also very interested in the nutrition info. Lots and lots of good stuff.
  • Options
    @John Culberson and @Al Truscott - excellent discussion! I downloaded the article and will file. Bottom Line: high intensity exercise will improve the quality, if not longevity of the athlete with respect to physical health. I suspect mental health is also included, but that is a subject for another day!

Thanks,

Joe
  • Options
    John & Al, I have enjoyed hearing & reading your comments. I personally believed that the exercise & training was therapeutic to me in many ways, the science behind it helps perhaps with some naysayers. 
    Thanks much. Eugene
  • Options
    Seminar Two Planning Time....the theme is: Training Plans / Season Planning

Topics in rank order are: 
    • Quantity/frequency of threshold work necessary to maintain V02

• Strategies to modify EN Plans to allow for changes in ability to recovery

• HIIT Training to maintain muscle in OFs [link]

• Season planning goals when incorporating longer recovery needs

Step One: Consolidating for Time
    I suggest we boil this down to two topics as:
    • HIIT Training to maintain VO2 & maintain muscle
    • Modifying Plans (and your Season) to Allow for Longer Recovery.

Step Two: Set The Date
    I think mid-May is good for this, post Blue Ridge Camp...so that would be Monday May 14th 

Step Three: Compiling Resources

If you have any interest in contributing or adding your notes, please post them here and I will consolidate!

Thanks!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    I would be glad to talk a bit more on protein requirements and how to time it with intense workouts. Can discuss various forms of protein  to support anabolism.